S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
    I disagree with this premise. A 15-24 year old male doesn't have to stay home on Friday night to see a sexily dressed woman. With the way their female counterparts dress these days, all they have to do is go to school or work or hang out at the mall.
    Note how I targeted a very specific demographic subgroup of that age group, it's this group that has money and time to become "obsessed" with a series. Besides that most people want to have what they can't have, how else can you explain that even with the clothes, or rather lack of, their female counterparts wear men still fantasize about having adult fun with <insert hot actress' name>. Plus a Friday night typically starts near midnight which is well after Stargate is shown.

If they are stuck at home, there are more sexily dressed females on other channels than there are on Stargate, even with Adria and Vala.
    Doesn't matter much, people still follow the actress they like. If you're a fan of Morena Baccarin and you have the options of watching her in a tight, low cut dress or <insert other actress' name> in a skimpy outfit, a fan will still watch Morena Baccarin. Other than that it all depends on the taste of the guy as well and not to mention the sort of series the other barely dressed actresses are playing in.

I think the demographic this appeals to is a Man over 40, who's been married for years and doesn't have the lifestyle options that the young guys have.
    Don't women always say "Men never grow up" ?

It also, frankly, appeals to women who devour magazines like Us and In Style to check out what shoes the stars are wearing. More women than men watch the Victoria Secrets Fashion Show. And the men who watch tend to be over 35, not under 35. Don't delude yourselves into thinking that men lose interest in looking at hot babes after they turn 25.
    I think the dancer of spaz said it most accurately, by the way SciFi and TPTB are promoting and even writing the show they are targeting the 15 ~ 24 demographic group I mentioned.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
      I think the dancer of spaz said it most accurately, by the way SciFi and TPTB are promoting and even writing the show they are targeting the 15 ~ 24 demographic group I mentioned.
      I don't see that at all. Shows that target that demographic have a much hipper sensability. See Veronica Mars for example.

If what you say is true, the PTB have no idea what today's 15-24's like to watch because what they are doing isn't it.

It's like they are targeting what 15-24's were like in the 60's and 70's and with the standards and practices in place from the 80's. This show is rather "old school".

BTW--Only about 16% of the males who watch Stargate are under 25. The median age is in the mid 40's for men. (based on Nielsen data)

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
        Oh, honestly, they obviously don't give a rat's behind about historical accuracy... they haven't put much serious thought into what they've done the past two seasons. They go for the laugh, the cheap joke, and clearly don't think things through. Dragging a science fiction show into the cheap cliche that is all things King Arthur and Merlin in Hollywood's fantasy was such a terrible idea. I seriously have difficulty understanding why they did it. I can only imagine the conversation went something like this:
        [sarcasm]
        "Wouldn't it be cool if we did a King Arthur/Merlin arc?"

"Oh, yeah, man, that would be great! We could have Cam pull the sword from the stone to show everyone that he's a great hero!"

"That would rock! Then maybe he could fight a black knight so everyone could see how great and good he is!"

"And Merlin could be an ancient so Daniel has something to do!"

"And there has to be a dragon! You know, they've got to fight a dragon!"

"Yeah, that would be SO COOL!"
        [/sarcasm]
        True on a number of levels
        1) History is shoddy.

2) The hypothetical conversation directly reflects the amount of effort and creative energy that went into creating/ considering the Merlin stories
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          guys, let's not get into a religious debate here.
          I'm sorry, I think it's my fault that it has drifted into this subject. If I want to take this further I'll do it in email/PM

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
            I don't see that at all. Shows that target that demographic have a much hipper sensability. See Veronica Mars for example.

If what you say is true, the PTB have no idea what today's 15-24's like to watch because what they are doing isn't it.

It's like they are targeting what 15-24's were like in the 60's and 70's and with the standards and practices in place from the 80's. This show is rather "old school".

BTW--Only about 16% of the males who watch Stargate are under 25. The median age is in the mid 40's for men. (based on Nielsen data)
            I think SciFi and other suits have been using a very backwards logic in regards to targeting certain demographics for a long time.

I agree with you when you say that the show is rather "old school," and is using rather archaic tactics to get the desired group of people watching. Maybe the scifi genre has a certain way of targeting viewers? But honestly, I can't help but think that, if they were deliberately aiming for women and 40-year-old men, they'd be doing a whole of things differently.

Comment

I really think that Ori arc was really lame both alegorical and entertainment- wise. And I´am really sick of ignorant opinions that "this was what the series was about the whole time" cause it wasn´t. Goa'uld reign was far far away from the organized religion of modern times and with little fantasy and liberal christian (or any monotheist) view you could acually get it as a criticism of idolatry (though it obviously wasn´t intention). Yes they had Kali and Nirrti but Pantheon isn´t so important for many Hindu anyway.
              Now,they came up with enemy by which pretty much attacked all abrahamical religions at once with a lame telekinetical chick as a commander. Pretty much changing atmosphere of the whole thing. Still i´am actually quite interested what they ´ll do with that "positive campaign" in "The Shroud".

Comment

So basicly you're pissed because they finally took on the monotheistic religions? Interesting, an anti-opinion I haven't heard yet

Granted, I would be rather annoyed too if they'd mock my religion with such a lame storyline
                Signed,

Gregorius
                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                  So basicly you're pissed because they finally took on the monotheistic religions? Interesting, an anti-opinion I haven't heard yet

Granted, I would be rather annoyed too if they'd mock my religion with such a lame storyline
                  Suprisingly, it isn´t much "pissed of" mood. As you expressed in your last sentence I am almost more annoyed by the very fact that I´am supposed to watch something called Stargate consisting of Adria levitating Jaffas and Sg-1 looking for "Holy Gral".

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    if they were deliberately aiming for women and 40-year-old men, they'd be doing a whole of things differently.
                    If they were aiming at women, yes. I think they'd do a lot of things differently. But, I think they do aim at 40-something, 50-something men and they succeed at getting them. The PTB's key target is guys in their age group, not younger men. Guys like them, with their tastes.

They acknowledged as much in "200" when they did the spoof of what Stargate would look like if they were really targeting a younger, edgier target.

Comment

*shakes head* I thought it was the Christmas season, and what is Spacecast doing? Showing that gawd auful MM on thursday

well maybe I'll catch a rerun of ER instead
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I think it's me but I want to ask - does anyone else think Beau Bridges is living in a dream-world? See the excerpts from interview which I pasted here;

I know that MGM certainly, really values the Stargate franchise and they intend to make some movies with it. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but that's what their intention is. It made them a whole lot of money so I would imagine that would be an impetus for them to continue. We went out with very strong ratings, so that's a good feeling. It wasn't like we were weak in the knees there. I think the last show, the 200th, scored huge.

GW: I think 1.9.

The bold part is where I went HUH? Does anyone else know what he is talking about? One episode at 1.9, and THAT one had RDA and a milestone attached to it and the others all around 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 and they were strong? After 2.4s? HUH??

Then there is the part he says:

GW: Yeah, the 200th episode. That was quite a milestone for the franchise. You probably, I would imagine, were feeling like "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride."

BB: No, I felt good about being part of it, because eight years is a lot different than ten years. The show didn't kick into those groundbreaking moments until Ben and Claudia and myself came aboard. Speaking for myself, I enjoy it so much, and I feel that I am a part of that show now, and I always will be, because I was along for a good part of it. I think it's a wonderful show. And I think it'll go on in some fashion.

All I say again is HUH?? Somehow this sounds so arrogant that without his participation (and BB and CB there would be no show). Au contraire dear sir, there is no show without the first 8 years and you (BB and CB) were no where to be seen for ALL of those 8 years and in my book the arrival of, and handling of, the new characters and changes got the show axed. They were lucky to get 10 years and the only reason they got it (and BB, BB and CB were along for the ride without having really contributed to the success, was because Sci-Fi was desperate to get the US record bragging rights and they would have shown sh-t (and they did, in my opinion) to get the record). This kind of thing is so out there it is really hard to understand where this guy is even coming from, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
                          I think it's me but I want to ask - does anyone else think Beau Bridges is living in a dream-world? See the excerpts from interview which I pasted here;

I know that MGM certainly, really values the Stargate franchise and they intend to make some movies with it. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but that's what their intention is. It made them a whole lot of money so I would imagine that would be an impetus for them to continue. We went out with very strong ratings, so that's a good feeling. It wasn't like we were weak in the knees there. I think the last show, the 200th, scored huge.

GW: I think 1.9.

The bold part is where I went HUH? Does anyone else know what he is talking about? One episode at 1.9, and THAT one had RDA and a milestone attached to it and the others all around 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 and they were strong? After 2.4s? HUH??

Then there is the part he says:

GW: Yeah, the 200th episode. That was quite a milestone for the franchise. You probably, I would imagine, were feeling like "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride."

BB: No, I felt good about being part of it, because eight years is a lot different than ten years. The show didn't kick into those groundbreaking moments until Ben and Claudia and myself came aboard. Speaking for myself, I enjoy it so much, and I feel that I am a part of that show now, and I always will be, because I was along for a good part of it. I think it's a wonderful show. And I think it'll go on in some fashion.

All I say again is HUH?? Somehow this sounds so arrogant that without his participation (and BB and CB there would be no show). Au contraire dear sir, there is no show without the first 8 years and you (BB and CB) were no where to be seen for ALL of those 8 years and in my book the arrival of, and handling of, the new characters and changes got the show axed. They were lucky to get 10 years and the only reason they got it (and BB, BB and CB were along for the ride without having really contributed to the success, was because Sci-Fi was desperate to get the US record bragging rights and they would have shown sh-t (and they did, in my opinion) to get the record). This kind of thing is so out there it is really hard to understand where this guy is even coming from, in my opinion.
                          This seems totally incredible. Is it possible a few words were edited out?
                          This certainly not my experience and considering it was cancelled not the experience of the majority of the fans.
                          sigpic
                          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

well that whole bit proves the concept of better living through chemistry-doesn't it?
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Perhaps Beau didn't really know what was going on, and was only responding to the SPIN that he was fed
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Perhaps Beau didn't really know what was going on, and was only responding to the SPIN that he was fed
                                I guess that's true and all such interviews should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.
                                sigpic
                                Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                                My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Working...
                                X