Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    Why indeed?

They were in such a hurry to change the history and the context of the show. Out with old and in with the new-and if we happen to trample a few people on the way-oh well.
    When Sam and Teal'c were introduced at least we could understand why they were on the team. Cam and Vala no clue. With all the experienced staff at the SGC, they pick a pilot who had never seen the gate to lead SG-1 and a theif and a liar as the 5th member of the team.

The new characters just bring so much to the team, how did SG-1 get along all those years without them?
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
      Yeah, I have actually read posts that perceive Sams reactions to Vala as rude and insensitive. From my perspective I can see where Sam would have a problem with some of Vala's attitude and actions. I just wished the writers would deal with the conflict and then go on down the road. Rolling the eyes and giving each other looks just makes the characters look bad.

Landry drives me crazy. He seems to be this big Teddy Bear dressed in a Generals uniform.
      People will see what they want to see, and use that as a justification.

Saying Sam is being rude and insensitive, even though that has not been shown - works to excuse Vala's behaviour. Sam's being mean, nasty and unwelcoming so who can blame Vala for acting out?

It's similar to the argument that Sam never wanted command/was never comfortable leading. It makes it okay for Mitchell the inexperienced to take her command because she never really wanted it in the first place. He's doing her a favour by taking the burden away from her.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post

Saying Sam is being rude and insensitive, even though that has not been shown - works to excuse Vala's behaviour. Sam's being mean, nasty and unwelcoming so who can blame Vala for acting out?

It's similar to the argument that Sam never wanted command/was never comfortable leading. It makes it okay for Mitchell the inexperienced to take her command because she never really wanted it in the first place. He's doing her a favour by taking the burden away from her.
        Your right, I never thought of it that way.

Mitchell what a guy, so nice to take that burden off of Sam's shoulders.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Your right, I never thought of it that way.

Mitchell what a guy, so nice to take that burden off of Sam's shoulders.
          I just dont get why they made him such a n00b.
          Why not just have him be one of the guys from one of the other gate teams who had put in his time. Maybe now that the war with the Goa'uld was over they could have put him in charge because he had a specialty in negociation or something.

Of course that would require creating a very intelligent character which I doubt they can do. Hell even Weir the supposed great negociator is not written like she has a clue. So I guess TPTB knew their own limitations. Instead of trying to write someone intelligent (which they cant do) they went for total camp. If they really wanted to do that then they should have made him the Jr Officer he acts like.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

How about adding Cam to the team just because. His character serves no purpose and you can say the same for Vala. Why add new characters to the show that don't really bring anything to the table?
            it's what you do when you stunt cast, adding ACTORS to the lineup, payingl ittle attention to the characters they play cause, you know, we fans well watch anything that has actors we like in it
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
              I just dont get why they made him such a n00b.
              Why not just have him be one of the guys from one of the other gate teams who had put in his time. Maybe now that the war with the Goa'uld was over they could have put him in charge because he had a specialty in negociation or something.
              because being a pilot is soooo much cooler and hewoic

all teh cool guys are pilots, just watch top gun and you'll see that.

it was a 'studly' thing. and an easy way to pump up cam's ego and character by making him something cool

they totally ignore the fact that, while it may be 'cooler' to be a thoratic surgeon, it's teh general practitioners that may actually be better doctors and just cause someone can fly a plane, it doesn't make them the best leader

just another example of how much of a marty stu cam was and is

if they'd have paid more attention to making him REAL than making him cool, cam woulda been a better character

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                it's what you do when you stunt cast, adding ACTORS to the lineup, payingl ittle attention to the characters they play cause, you know, we fans well watch anything that has actors we like in it
                Here's a 'for instance' - say Joe Flanigan hadn't been the guy to play Shepperd, some other guy had played. Flanigan had instead come to SG-1 in S9 as the Mitchell character. Flanigan, being a relative unknown at the time, wouldn't have been able to bully the writers into giving his character the star spot, he would have had very little creative license, and 'Mitchell' would not yank Sam's command. In essence, he would have been much more human and likeable.

Comment

Originally posted by SionnachOghma View Post
                  Here's a 'for instance' - say Joe Flanigan hadn't been the guy to play Shepperd, some other guy had played. Flanigan had instead come to SG-1 in S9 as the Mitchell character. Flanigan, being a relative unknown at the time, wouldn't have been able to bully the writers into giving his character the star spot, he would have had very little creative license, and 'Mitchell' would not yank Sam's command. In essence, he would have been much more human and likeable.
                  This is disrespectful toward Ben Browder. TPTB themselves reported that they went to Ben and offered him the job, a job which was to replace RDA. Since RDA had the "star" spot, that's where the vacancy was. It's completely unfair to say that Ben Browder bullied anyone for the job of Mitchell. And I want to know where it's been reported that Ben has any kind of creative license with the character at all. As far I've been able to see, he's just an actor doing a job, and it's the writers who pull all the strings on this show.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                    This is disrespectful toward Ben Browder. TPTB themselves reported that they went to Ben and offered him the job, a job which was to replace RDA. Since RDA had the "star" spot, that's where the vacancy was. It's completely unfair to say that Ben Browder bullied anyone for the job of Mitchell. And I want to know where it's been reported that Ben has any kind of creative license with the character at all. As far I've been able to see, he's just an actor doing a job, and it's the writers who pull all the strings on this show.
                    Where in my post did I mention Ben Browder?

Comment

Where in my post did I mention Ben Browder?

You may not have mentioned his name but referred to him by inference:

Flanigan, being a relative unknown at the time, wouldn't have been able to bully the writers into giving his character the star spot, he would have had very little creative license,and 'Mitchell' would not yank Sam's command.
                      You are saying that Flannigan the unknown would not bully, therefore implying that Browder as the known actor was able use influence and caused the character of Mitchell to yank Sam's command. It's all in your wording and meaning.

Comment

no he isn't pulling the strings-he is doing the job he was paid to do.

the complaint, as I see it, is the piss poor writing that we have seen of his character, his backstory, his experience-you name it. we are talking Cameron Mitchell-not Ben Browder-they are not the same person-one is real, the other is not and only made real by the imagination. One would hope that they would at least take his input and respect his character's vision-but that is all an actor/actress can do-they can own the character, but they don't own how he is written.
                        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

i can agree with the EXAMPLE of the pull mister unknown actor has vs mister known star, however, it's been my understanding that Ben very much has done just what he's been told to do. that there's no real ego involved on ben's behalf and he's just doing what skiffy/mgm/the B@B has dictated in regards to cameron's behaviors/actions

Let's be careful to keep our specuations away from the actors involved. I'm sure your example was innocently meant however it does dance on the line of disrespecting ben

sigpic

Comment

It helped that people went into S9 with those beliefs already, I'm sure. The introduction of the new characters merely solidified those theories.

ETA: But you know what? I'm gonna reiterate the same old stuff when I say that I honestly could've understood Sam getting the kick-butt 2IC position again, had Colonel Mitchell been (a) much older than Sam, (b) a commander of another SG team for several years and (c) competent. Unfortunately, that does rule out Ben Browder, because he and AT are the same age. Mitche Pileggi, or someone like him, maybe? That totally would've worked for me. And if it absolutely had to be Cameron Mitchell, well... same request would apply, full Colonel and competence.

Comment

He has not accused BB of anything. He has not even mentioned him. He has stated that an unknown actor would not have had much influence over the writers, which is probably true and that Mitchell played by an unknown actor would likely not have been in command, which I agree with.

You are the one who has decided that he is insulting BB. You have decided that a suggestion that an unknown actor would not be able to bully the writers translates to an accusation that BB has done so. You seem to believe that BB has not done so, and that he has been allowed little creative license with his character – if I have misinterpreted you, I apologize – so why is it any kind of reflection on his conduct to say that an unknown actor would have been equally powerless?

Saying that Person A would not do something does not translate as Person B would.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Saying that Person A would not do something does not translate as Person B would.
                                I love logic lessons.

Comment

Working...
                                X