S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    *That's why I kinda laughed when Mallozzi kinda expressed his frustration with the cancellation, saying they're not all "tapped out" of creative ideas.

Really? Are ya sure? Because the way I see it, the writers take characters in one "risky" or "potentially awesome" direction, and they do one of two things: Leave it hanging for all eternity, or wrap it up with a neat bow before the credits roll.
    it made me laugh too cause i'm like 'youre not tapped out??? then why in the hades are you crankingout template fanficesque homages ripoffs of every movie/tv show out there, even your own episodes

if they weren't 'tapped out' maybe there'd have been something written that was truly original and classic. like you said with the characters, they use the same formula over and over, they do the same in thier eps
    they keep getting distracted by 'bigger' and refuse to even attempt 'more interesting'

not tapped out my tushie
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      it made me laugh too cause i'm like 'youre not tapped out??? then why in the hades are you crankingout template fanficesque homages ripoffs of every movie/tv show out there, even your own episodes

if they weren't 'tapped out' maybe there'd have been something written that was truly original and classic. like you said with the characters, they use the same formula over and over, they do the same in thier eps
      they keep getting distracted by 'bigger' and refuse to even attempt 'more interesting'

not tapped out my tushie
      Maybe they wanted to give other shows a chance and deliberately crappified the SG-1 to level the playing field.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        But sometimes I look at it, and I do wonder if it's not a waste of these guys' talents. That sounds really harsh, but as much as I love Stargate, I think these actors could do tons more with their characters if they were given quality stuff to work with in the first place.

I've stayed away from this thread too. I'm in "I don't care" mode, especially because I'm watching about 9 shows right now that I really, really enjoy from all angles--writing, acting and characterization. Okay...maybe just 8--one I'm just watching for the stupid factor (Jericho, anyone?).

Anyway, amen to that sentiment. We've seen a lot of these actors do better already; I mean, for some, this is a step back, quality-wise (ok, maybe for all).

As far as tapped out is concerned, I know I've read fan fic with better characterizations of both new and old characters. It's just a matter of how you want to tell the story. If you're not interested in telling it thru the characters actions/interactions, then all you're gonna get is plot, plot, plot.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          Somehow, I think I could have lived without it.

Though, in fairness, Vala doesn't come close to being my chief problem with Season Nine.
          To be honest she wasn't my chief problem either. She was just one in a laundry list of complaints. I actually kind of dig her this year. She brings a certain energy to the show now that they seem to have found a balance between sex kitten and childish enthusiasm.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524 View Post
            If you're not interested in telling it thru the characters actions/interactions, then all you're gonna get is plot, plot, plot.
            And when the plot isn't great either, your show is well and truly screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
              To be honest she wasn't my chief problem either. She was just one in a laundry list of complaints. I actually kind of dig her this year. She brings a certain energy to the show now that they seem to have found a balance between sex kitten and childish enthusiasm.
              Vala, even annoying sex kitten Vala, I could live with if I found the other new characters and the new villains in any way interesting or appealing. That has not been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                she's still a little too childish for me. little too impetuous and annoying, but yes, better than last y ear, so while - for me - she's not good, she is better

sigpic

Comment

And when the plot isn't great either, your show is well and truly screwed.
                  LOL! Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524 View Post
                    As far as tapped out is concerned, I know I've read fan fic with better characterizations of both new and old characters. It's just a matter of how you want to tell the story. If you're not interested in telling it thru the characters actions/interactions, then all you're gonna get is plot, plot, plot.
                    imho, they 'decharactered' the show in an effort to make it less actor dependant. problem is, like you said, when you take away the character interactions, all that's left is the plot. and when the plot sucks...there's nothing there.

template plots with boring 'villians' moved along by cardboard cut out characters

the show's been generic'd to death and lost what made it unique

sigpic

Comment

imho, they 'decharactered' the show in an effort to make it less actor dependant. problem is, like you said, when you take away the character interactions, all that's left is the plot. and when the plot sucks...there's nothing there.

template plots with boring 'villians' moved along by cardboard cut out characters

the show's been generic'd to death and lost what made it unique
                      Less actor dependent--that's an interesting take, and also ironic, given that they've hired some pretty good actors.

Comment

I wonder if it ever occured to TPTB that a better way to make the show less actor-dependent was to give every character a big role to play. No lead, no almost exclusive focus on one or two characters, or on a specific pairing. Give everybody their own story.

Sam: commanding SG-1, providing scientific information, friendships with teammates, possibly ship with Jack. A connection with the Lucian Alliance wouldn't hurt either.

Teal'c: Through Teal'c, give the Jaffa Nation a larger part to play on the show. Friendships with the rest of the team should also feature prominently.

Daniel: Already has a connection to the Ancients and to the Ori and relationships with most of his team.

Mitchell: A major newly assigned to SG-1. Led briefly and sometimes forgets that he isn't in command any more. Very enthusiastic, occasionally reckless but is gradually learning.

Vala: Former host, a bit of a fish out of water at the SGC, connections to the Ori.

All characters should interact with the others, instead of limiting any character to forming bonds with only one or two others.

If they lose AT/Sam (Heaven forbid), then Mitchell takes command and, when possible, Vala chips in with knowledge of tech. A guest character handles the science side in other situations. If they lose CJ/Teal'c, the Jaffa storyline can continue through Bra'tac or else become less prominent. If they lose MS/Daniel, an Ancient can make contact with another member or members of the team and Vala has the Ori side covered. If they lose BB/Mitchell, they do without a fifth member on SG-1. If they lose Vala, Sam's an ex-host and Daniel has a connection with the Ori.

Logically, if each of the five members of SG-1 plays an equal part in the story and has an equal amount of screentime, they can more easily adjust to the loss of any one character than they can to a character on whom the lion's share of the attention is focused.

As things stand, I would see them as being quite actor dependent.

Comment

it goes with something MS said in an interview, along the line of them basically making all (or to me most) of the actors disposible. thus, should any of them go 'do this or i walk' skiffy will go 'don't let the door hit ya on the tushie on the way out'

thus the network can pull whatever strings they want to and manipulate what they want to and the actors have less of a say and less leverage. thus the actors are more dependant on staying in the network's good graces instead of the network doing thier best to keep the actors happy

sound business on part of the network even if it does kinda stick it to the actors. with the network operating this way, the actors are little more than meat and there's no shortage of replacements - at least in the network's ideal situation

sigpic

Comment

As things stand, I would see them as being quite actor dependent.
                            with all the stunt casting going on, they ARE very dependant.

'big name' actors have pull. they have friends and connections. connections that they will likely use to keep things going thier way whereas lesser known actors - while not having the ready made fanbase - will have less friends, less connections and, especially if they're newer in the business, will actually be more ameniable and pliable than those with years of experience

sigpic

Comment

it goes with something MS said in an interview, along the line of them basically making all (or to me most) of the actors disposible. thus, should any of them go 'do this or i walk' skiffy will go 'don't let the door hit ya on the tushie on the way out'

thus the network can pull whatever strings they want to and manipulate what they want to and the actors have less of a say and less leverage. thus the actors are more dependant on staying in the network's good graces instead of the network doing thier best to keep the actors happy

sound business on part of the network even if it does kinda stick it to the actors. with the network operating this way, the actors are little more than meat and there's no shortage of replacements - at least in the network's ideal situation
                              At this point, as much as it pains me to say it, they could muddle through without Sam or Teal'c (in terms of the story, it'd have a disastrous impact on ratings/DVD sales) but what if they lost Mitchell? Or Vala? Or Daniel?

They spent a season making the show virtually all about Mitchell, it was his team, his dream... so what happens when he's gone and the viewers who have become accustomed to seeing him in charge and the writers who've been using him as a combination action hero and comic relief have to do without him?

A sizeable chunk of Season Ten seems to revolve around Vala, she has the deepest connection to the Ori and Daniel has been reduced to interacting almost exclusively with her... what happens when she's gone?

In terms of character interaction, Vala has had little chance to form bonds with other characters, so what happens if MS leaves, taking half of Vaniel with him?

Comment

with all the stunt casting going on, they ARE very dependant.

'big name' actors have pull. they have friends and connections. connections that they will likely use to keep things going thier way whereas lesser known actors - while not having the ready made fanbase - will have less friends, less connections and, especially if they're newer in the business, will actually be more ameniable and pliable than those with years of experience
                                They probably cost less too.

Comment

Working...
                                X