S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    Sam's been a host twice, Jack got stuck with Kanan - I guess nobody could ever even think about holding anything they ever do against them.

I wonder if they've been told.
    Oh, but Jack got stuck with Kanan during season six, and well ... according to tptb season six never existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros View Post
      Oh, but Jack got stuck with Kanan during season six, and well ... according to tptb season six never existed.

TPTB also seem to think that Mitchell and Vala are great characters.

In my opinion, Season Six was far, far, far, far, far better than Season Nine and Jonas was a wonderful addition to the show.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Did they ever address how Vala was able to use the healing device in PU when her goa'uld was removed from her? Because I thought that one could only get the memories and ablities of the goa'uld if they die in them. Memories are a bit more tricky, I can understand anything that the goa'uld did while inside of the host sitcking, but anything else... nope.

Comment

Did they ever address how Vala was able to use the healing device in PU when her goa'uld was removed from her? Because I thought that one could only get the memories and ablities of the goa'uld if they die in them. Memories are a bit more tricky, I can understand anything that the goa'uld did while inside of the host sitcking, but anything else... nope.
          It's possible that there were still some residual traces of naquadah in Vala's blood that allowed her to use the devices - Cassie should be able to do the same if that is the case.

Comment

It's possible that there were still some residual traces of naquadah in Vala's blood that allowed her to use the devices - Cassie should be able to do the same if that is the case.
            So should Jack.

Personally, I think Vala has been implanted with the special "ignore canon" chip. It's very popular at the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
              So should Jack.

Personally, I think Vala has been implanted with the special "ignore canon" chip. It's very popular at the SGC.
              Yep, ignore everything she's done in the past because she's such a greaaaaat, fun character that makes TPTB's pants dance
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                Yep, ignore everything she's done in the past because she's such a greaaaaat, fun character that makes TPTB's pants dance
                If she'd made the ratings soar, they'd have been sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  the bigotry and nastiness are precisely why i dont' play there. maybe that's where tptb got thier 'if you can apprecaite our fantastic job then you must be stupid' attitude
                  You know, I've been wondering about that.

the thing is, if you honestly and truthfully want feedback, you have to be prepared to hear the bad with the good. and if all you want to hear is the good, you really aren't serious about having an open mind or improving yourself
                  So true.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    the bigotry and nastiness are precisely why i dont' play there. maybe that's where tptb got thier 'if you can apprecaite our fantastic job then you must be stupid' attitude

the thing is, if you honestly and truthfully want feedback, you have to be prepared to hear the bad with the good. and if all you want to hear is the good, you really aren't serious about having an open mind or improving yourself
                    I think that any writer who believes his or her work to be perfect is headed for trouble. There is always room for improvement and its a good idea to listen to suggestions about how to make one's work better, even if you're not going to take every smidgen of advice offered.

I think that the Anti threads offered some really good suggestions about how Seasons Nine and Ten, together with the new characters, could have been improved. It wasn't as if everybody was saying "Mitchell stinks!" and leaving it at that.

Comment

I think that any writer who believes his or her work to be perfect is headed for trouble. There is always room for improvement and its a good idea to listen to suggestions about how to make one's work better, even if you're not going to take every smidgen of advice offered.

I think that the Anti threads offered some really good suggestions about how Seasons Nine and Ten, together with the new characters, could have been improved. It wasn't as if everybody was saying "Mitchell stinks!" and leaving it at that.
                      Never smelled him.

Seriously, I am constatnly amazed by all the great ideas I read in all of these threads that talk about ways to bring in the SAME CHARACTERS just in logical and intelligent ways. How can the fans come up with these acceptable ways while the professional writers are stuck with;

"uhm well just make him a CMHO winner and that will be good enough to be lead of SG-1. And vala... well, hey Daniel likes her right... thats good enough for her to be on SG-1. What? She beat the crp out of daniel and then abducted him by sticking an alien device on his arm she knew could have killed him and then constantly sexually harrassed and embarressed him...... Well its Daniel, hes Mr Forgiveness, dont worry it works, trust me..... it will be fun." (ok maybe not an EXACT quote... but Im thinkin)
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                        Never smelled him.

Seriously, I am constatnly amazed by all the great ideas I read in all of these threads that talk about ways to bring in the SAME CHARACTERS just in logical and intelligent ways. How can the fans come up with these acceptable ways while the professional writers are stuck with;

"uhm well just make him a CMHO winner and that will be good enough to be lead of SG-1. And vala... well, hey Daniel likes her right... thats good enough for her to be on SG-1. What? She beat the crp out of daniel and then abducted him by sticking an alien device on his arm she knew could have killed him and then constantly sexually harrassed and embarressed him...... Well its Daniel, hes Mr Forgiveness, dont worry it works, trust me..... it will be fun." (ok maybe not an EXACT quote... but Im thinkin)
                        I think that the fans have the advantage of knowing that other viewers will want to see intelligent storylines, well-developed characters and real team interaction instead of just cool special effects, a male hewo and eye candy galore and that they will not be satisfied with tripe simply because it is labelled "Stargate: SG-1".

They also credit (perhaps mistakenly in some cases) their fellow fans with enough of a sense of justice not to want to see any officer demoted in favour of somebody with a tiny fraction of her experience, competence and intelligence, regardless of their gender.

Comment

So true, I got into an argument with someone on that sight when I found out that Vala was going to become a regular cast member. After going back and forth for three or four posts, I gave up. It wasn't worth waisting my time. If they like the idea of a conartist/thief running around the SGC, then so be it.
                          Yep. I saw a person on there not long after MM had aired. The thread was titled something like "something different about Daniel" so I had no idea it was about the episode. In it they were squeeing over Vaniel and potential romance. One person even went as far as to say "did you see that cute worried look on Daniel's face in his office? I don't think he gets the same look when Carter or Teal'c are missing. Daniel looked like he didn't sleep for a week."

I really wanted to take that person to task and tell her that there were plenty of times Daniel looked worried about Sam and Teal'c, as well as Jack (Solitudes, Death Knell, 48 Hours, etc.). I had problems trying to register for the site and gave up ... though I guess it would have been just as well since I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with them.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                            Yep. I saw a person on there not long after MM had aired. The thread was titled something like "something different about Daniel" so I had no idea it was about the episode. In it they were squeeing over Vaniel and potential romance. One person even went as far as to say "did you see that cute worried look on Daniel's face in his office? I don't think he gets the same look when Carter or Teal'c are missing. Daniel looked like he didn't sleep for a week."

I really wanted to take that person to task and tell her that there were plenty of times Daniel looked worried about Sam and Teal'c, as well as Jack (Solitudes, Death Knell, 48 Hours, etc.). I had problems trying to register for the site and gave up ... though I guess it would have been just as well since I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with them.
                            I believe it has something to do with the density of that site, nothing gets through
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Then there is little to no hope for any future projects.

If they could recognize that some of their changes had not been as well received as they had hoped they would be and take steps to adjust them to make them more appealing (or less off-putting) or to remove them, there would be a chance that they could produce a pair of excellent movies but not if they're going to cling to their changes.

Even if they think that what they have produced is brilliant, if they know it hasn't been welcomed as they needed it to be, it would be in their interests and that of the franchise to consider what it was the viewers want to see. They are the consumers, after all.

Imagine if you owned a chocolate factory. The milk chocolate bars you produced sold really well for eight years but when you devoted the resources of your factory to making a banana flavour bar, sales plummeted. You have people who really like the banana flavour bar and maybe you agree with them, but overall sales have dropped to the point where your factory is at risk.

Do you (a) return to your tried and true recipe or (b) keep making banana flavour bars in the hopes that your former consumers will come around and realize that the new bar really is wonderful after all, instead of just buying a different brand of chocolate?
                              Sounds like when the "new" coke was introduced. They finally saw the light, dropped it, and went back to the old. At least that's how I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                                Sounds like when the "new" coke was introduced. They finally saw the light, dropped it, and went back to the old. At least that's how I remember it.
                                And they're still in business.

Comment

Working...
                                X