No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a very low daniel tolerance. so 42 minutes of him grunting at an unas really does nothing for me.

at least with chimera we got sarah
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
      Jack in chains - how could you resist?
      jack in chains???? i don't recall that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i have a very low daniel tolerance. so 42 minutes of him grunting at an unas really does nothing for me.

What? Do you mean you didn't watch that episode over and over again, so you could learn how to speak Unas
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

That episode isn't one of my favourites either. It wasn't one that interested me much, but then again, Daniel's not a favourite of mine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
            What? Do you mean you didn't watch that episode over and over again, so you could learn how to speak Unas
            I liked the first Unas ep. Maybe just because I like the line "This is a radio. It's so my friends can find me, and shoot you...." and of course toss the symbiot head is pretty funny. And the "anyone here who is a goa'uld raise your hand". The worst thing about that ep was they killed that little scientist guy off. Otherwise you got the sense that the entire team cared about Daniel and Daniel was very much "in character" learning to communicate with Chaka. And of course the acto doing Chaka was really good.

The second Unas ep I thought was pretty good to. I hate slavery with a passion so I felt bad for the UNAS and agreed with Daniel but I could see Jacks side. Lots of team and team tension in that ep.

The Third Unas ep, was just a way to get rid of jack and split up the team. It was ok as a one off but it shows a marked decline in the show and how the stories are told. Other then introducing Major Lorne there was very little of value and even he was a punk in that ep. And the actor that played Chaka in the first two did not reprise his role. I just assumed the ep was due to the schedualing issues and the rust of MS just returning to the series but in retrospect it was probably the show runner and his writers showing they are unable to write more then one or two characters at a time.

I miss classic SG-1.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

my other issue with EM is the rampant stupidity of Edwards just to facilitate daniel's saving of the day

The biggest issue i had was, ok they're on the planet, find all this stuff and graves, skeletons of Jaffa...and they just pick it up and move it out of the way. Hello you idjets, if the locals could kill jaffa, you might not want to piss them off.

it is like Edwards graduated from the George Armstrong Custer school of diplomacy

It is massively unrealistic that, after SEVEN YEARS dealing with aliens, the SGC wouldn't have protocols in place to handle such situations

that huge, honkin plot hole just finished sinking the ship of a very weak episode, something that was made even weaker by the actor change for chaka and the near total lack of drama

sigpic

Comment

The only episodes I wouldn't want to watch more than once are the season 9/10 ones. There's a few I can tolerate, but barely. The only one I liked that was Mitchell based was Babylon because he finally got tossled around. He seemed to be less cocky and more human. Then he got worse again.

I couldn't believe last week's episode though. They're in the circle and have to sacrifice stuff to get out, and the first thing Vala pulls out of her pack is a hairdryer?!? I'm no expert on what frontline teams carry around with them in those packs, but I would've thought a hairdryer would've been the last thing on the list.

Where did come from, and what happened to the we know and love? (Shave Teal'c and give him back his staff weapon!)

My Fanfics Warning!: Some fics may contain , so non-S/J shippers BEWARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Aria Rayn
                  The only episodes I wouldn't want to watch more than once are the season 9/10 ones. There's a few I can tolerate, but barely. The only one I liked that was Mitchell based was Babylon because he finally got tossled around. He seemed to be less cocky and more human. Then he got worse again.

I couldn't believe last week's episode though. They're in the circle and have to sacrifice stuff to get out, and the first thing Vala pulls out of her pack is a hairdryer?!? I'm no expert on what frontline teams carry around with them in those packs, but I would've thought a hairdryer would've been the last thing on the list.
                  You see that's sacrificing credibility for the very bad joke....which sacrifices the credibility of the show So you there was a lot of sacrificing going on in that episode
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Maybe, we also got Pete. Not to a VERY noticeable IQ slump for Sam dealing with him. Pete was the stupidest police detective that was ever created. Sam wasn’t much better in that episode. Bleck!

Sorry I’ll take “Enemy Mine” any day over that. “Chimera” was the first episode for me where Sam took the first U turn in to “What the H*LL” ville. First glaring example where the writers sacrificed characters for plot. The first episode for me too where Sam started her demotion from ‘one of the guys’ to ‘the girl’. Ugh!

I’ll take Daniel grunting at the Unas any day over how they handled Sam/Pete in that episode.
                    Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                      I liked the first Unas ep. Maybe just because I like the line "This is a radio. It's so my friends can find me, and shoot you...." and of course toss the symbiot head is pretty funny. And the "anyone here who is a goa'uld raise your hand". The worst thing about that ep was they killed that little scientist guy off. Otherwise you got the sense that the entire team cared about Daniel and Daniel was very much "in character" learning to communicate with Chaka. And of course the acto doing Chaka was really good.

The second Unas ep I thought was pretty good to. I hate slavery with a passion so I felt bad for the UNAS and agreed with Daniel but I could see Jacks side. Lots of team and team tension in that ep.

The Third Unas ep, was just a way to get rid of jack and split up the team. It was ok as a one off but it shows a marked decline in the show and how the stories are told. Other then introducing Major Lorne there was very little of value and even he was a punk in that ep. And the actor that played Chaka in the first two did not reprise his role. I just assumed the ep was due to the schedualing issues and the rust of MS just returning to the series but in retrospect it was probably the show runner and his writers showing they are unable to write more then one or two characters at a time.

I miss classic SG-1.
                      Well said, and I agree. As far as EM goes, I remember MS saying in an interview that since RDA's screen time was reduced, they were highlighting the other three characters more, focusing on them more or something like that. But still, they did split up the team in that one, and you do see quite a few eps centered on one character (two once in a while, like Chimera) in season 7. I'm a Daniel fan (though a bit less so these past two seasons) and I wasn't even that crazy about that ep.

Comment

Originally posted by Aria Rayn

Same here. Even though there are quite a few eps that I'm not crazy about, I can usually sit through them more than once. I really can't say that about the season 9 and 10 eps. I didn't mind Arthur's Mantle too much, even though they did split the team up pretty much in that one, because Daniel wasn't snarking so much and was more like the Daniel of old with the "need to look stuff up and work to solve this problem." The snark factor was pretty high for him last season (though I don't think quite as high as this year) and this ep was a nice little break.

Oh, I know, HAIRDRYER?? More of that good old Vala zaniness I guess She's probably got a hairbrush in there, maybe a curling iron too....*snerk*

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                          Maybe, we also got Pete. Not to a VERY noticeable IQ slump for Sam dealing with him. Pete was the stupidest police detective that was ever created. Sam wasn’t much better in that episode. Bleck!

Sorry I’ll take “Enemy Mine” any day over that. “Chimera” was the first episode for me where Sam took the first U turn in to “What the H*LL” ville. First glaring example where the writers sacrificed characters for plot. The first episode for me too where Sam started her demotion from ‘one of the guys’ to ‘the girl’. Ugh!

I’ll take Daniel grunting at the Unas any day over how they handled Sam/Pete in that episode.
                          Gotta agree with that. The only thing I sort of liked about Chimera was Daniel again... mostly in the form of eye candy...lol I didn't like the Sam/Pete thing either, and were definitely starting to see "the girl" in this ep. Plus the fact that Pete was something of a stalker bothered me a little...

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                            Gotta agree with that. The only thing I sort of liked about Chimera was Daniel again... mostly in the form of eye candy...lol I didn't like the Sam/Pete thing either, and were definitely starting to see "the girl" in this ep. Plus the fact that Pete was something of a stalker bothered me a little...
                            Stalker Pete I could deal with. It was how Sam handled him that bothered me. Sam went straight from capable competent woman to drama queen in that episode. The writers wrote her SO stupid. Heaven forbid they cut the ‘drama’ (insert puking smilie here) with the whole “you could die” line and just have her deal with Pete in an straight forward adult manner and say “I’m in the military. What I do is classified. I am not allowed to talk about it”. End of discussion. If Pete couldn’t have accepted that she should have dumped his a@@. Instead they reduce her IQ, make her a desperate drama queen Sam never was and made her sound like to Pete she’s being stalked or something. UGH!

I’m not a shipper either.

One reason why I was cringing when they even talked about the whole Daniel/Vala thing. These guys can not write an intelligent romance if their show depended on it. I can’t understand why all these Daniel fans were excited about Daniel/Vala. Did they NOT see what the writers did to Sam when they introduced a romance for her?

Fish in Jack’s pond, Seasons 9&10: Indisputable proof they never fixed the timeline!
                            Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

i agree that pete was poorly handled. and it only affirms my belief that these writers are crap at relationship stuff.

the women are all written as stereotypes (sexy alien, maternal, doormat, vixen) while the men live the ultimate fantasty fo bagging one of these gorgous women then get to treat her like crap and get away with it with a pat on the head and 'i know dear'...talk about male fantasy

first pete falls into the plot hole of needing to get him to the stake out and a lack of explanation thus spawning the Stalker Pete - which the writers were too oblivious to see - then we get the 'yes, i know you damaged my credibility and blew the stake out, but the doctor says you're gonna be ok, so it's all good' doormat of sam

How they handled chimera is precisely why i don't want a sam/jack ship resolution ont he show - unless they let rick adn amanda write it - cause rob and the boys treat relationships with all the maturity of a 12 year old boy in the midst of his first crush

and thye will handle vaniel the same way. Pump up shanks' ego, let him play the leading male and 'stud' while letting claudia have fun and ignoring the fact that Daniel is NOT a ladies' man and Vala should be more than the sum of her boyfriends.

Vaniel is a train wreck in slow motion.

as to the hair drier, yes, it was stupid and yet another example of 'screw teh character/credibility, wouldn't it be funny if......'

if htey wanted to go that route, how about a hair brush...something that, with those damn pigtails, vala will need to take off world

they coulda still had their joke while they kept it sensible and credible

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                                Fish in Jack’s pond, Seasons 9&10: Indisputable proof they never fixed the timeline!
                                and more and more people see it this way.

s8 WAS the end of the show and s9 and 10 aer nothing more than a pale immitation hiding its true silliness under a familiar name

Playing pretend and even considering that skiffy woulda allowed them to rename the show, i'm not sure if it woulda lasted any longer or not. Yeah, it could have escaped the baggage of 8 years ofh istory...but honestly, coop's idea of a perfect show is such tripe i don't see it lasting any longer than it did...2 seasons.

he's a good writer, but a horrible show runner and - TO ME - has definitely not made some good decisions

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X