S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Would many networks be willing to take on the cost of the show - and I imagine that the need to secure the Sci-Fi channel's permission would only add to the cost - if the best they could expect was a 1.5 ratings average?

The drop has been pretty steep; Season Eight averaged 2.065, then there was a 1.96 ratings average for the first half of Season Nine, 1.73 for the second half and 1.51 (so far) for the first half of Season Ten. If a lot of people who dislike the changes are still watching, the numbers could end up dropping even further before they level off.

Hardly a tempting prospect for a network.

I imagine that anyone considering taking on the show would want to be pretty confident that the ratings would recover.
    Also, if it moves we can expect the ratings to drop. I mean, after all, if one of the reasons for the ratings downfall is because the show changed timeslots, how the heck do they expect the fans to find the show on an entirely different network, likely on a different night .
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      Also, if it moves we can expect the ratings to drop. I mean, after all, if one of the reasons for the ratings downfall is because the show changed timeslots, how the heck do they expect the fans to find the show on an entirely different network, likely on a different night .
      Perhaps the network execs could hire people to visit viewer's houses every week and remind them of when and where the show is on.

In all seriousness, I can't see how the time change would cause any kind of significant drop. While there would be people who simply might not be available to watch at that time, I imagine that the vast majority of viewers would catch on to the time change after missing an episode or two. If they have trouble remembering, all they need do is check a TV guide or the Sci-Fi channel website.

If, however, they knew when the show was going to be on and chose not to watch it because it no longer appealed to them, that would be a different story.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

If, however, they knew when the show was going to be on and chose not to watch it because it no longer appealed to them, that would be a different story.
        but we all know that's never happens.
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
          Not even stupid Americans?
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
            Of course not, Seasons Nine and Ten are the best ever and a series of bad circumstances - including, but not limited to the time change, competition, the unfair Nielsen system, the weather and magnets - bear full responsibility for the ratings drop.

Comment

nah, we use all our stupidity on not knowing when the show is on.
              sigpic
              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Aren't quite a few "stupid Americans" involved in producing the show?

Comment

Aren't quite a few "stupid Americans" involved in producing the show?
                  Really?
                  The show is about Americans too, but they are all stupid too and boring and old.

Comment

Really?
                    The show is about Americans too, but they are all stupid too and boring and old.
                    Boggles the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                      Maybe we could get Mystery Theater 3000 to annotate it for us.
                      Where is Crow T Robot?

Right here. :>

I’ve been lurking.

All I have to say about Friday night’s episode is I salute the car that valiantly gave its life to try to end it early.

And why just MSK3000 “Bounty”?

You could start with “Morpheus” go straight in to “Insiders” and “Uninvited” and then hit “Menento Mori”. Something good and pure should come from those episodes. Don’t let the film they shot them with have died in vein.
                      Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

[QUOTE=ReganX]Would many networks be willing to take on the cost of the show - and I imagine that the need to secure the Sci-Fi channel's permission would only add to the cost - if the best they could expect was a 1.5 ratings average?[QUOTE]

Keep in mind too Dr. Who has done nothing but build too. I believe its season final pulled a 1.5 (it might have been higher). Dr. Who might very well be capable of pulling in similar rating at the fraction of the cost of SG-1.

As soon as I saw the ratings Dr. Who was pulling I knew this was SG-1’s final year.
                        Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot
                          Keep in mind too Dr. Who has done nothing but build too. I believe its season final pulled a 1.5 (it might have been higher). Dr. Who might very well be capable of pulling in similar rating at the fraction of the cost of SG-1.

As soon as I saw the ratings Dr. Who was pulling I knew this was SG-1’s final year.
                          Good point. If Dr Who brings in the same ratings - and presumably a similar income from advertising - as Stargate, but costs far less then even if the Sci-Fi channel are getting some profit from Stargate, I don't think anyone could blame them for going with a show that earns them more of a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble
                            Why did the some Vala fans not like it? The Daniel fans over at Daniel central overwhelmingly absolutely loved it. I taped it and actually watched the Star Trek tribute on TV land instead. Those almost 40 year old episodes are still better witten than was MM, IMO. (I did end up watching it later)
                            As a Vala/Claudia fan...I was disapointed. It could have been so much more, an exploration of memory, real memory, how your past actions influence your current situation. It just seemed like a very disjointed story. I much preferred "Counterstrike" and "The Powers that Be" or even "Crusade" and the two "Avalons" for Vala characterization. I guess TPTB (the episode) gave me at taste of how those past actions affect the present.

"Memento Mori": "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". Wow...how much better could this episode have been.

Watching this show frustrates me because I know how good Black is--this is not to say I thought she wasn't good in this episode; it's just that the material is so lacking. Rather than go for anything thoughtful, the writers always seem to play to the lowest common denominator, the cheap joke.

Seriously, I thought the most heartfelt scenes were the scene at the beginning (the "date"), Daniel's conversation with Mitchell about how he knew Vala would survive, and the end where she has the "Daniel" moment. The rest was filler for the twinkie (boy, does that sound lascivious or what?) Frankly, I would have preferred it if Daniel had commandeered the bike and been handcuffed (not necessarily in his undies but still). That might have made more sense to me.

That's why this ardent Vala/Claudia fan was not overly enthused about the episode. It could have been more but...wasn't.

I'm very worried about "bounty" (which I wll of course watch anyway).

Comment

swiping my post from samanda

it would have been nice to have seen something more substantial with vala

such as she and teal'c, the 'lab rats' issues with him and sam, remarks about daniel and his thing for blended women, what precisely did athena and qetesh get up to?

i don't know if i posted my 'dream' scenario here or not but here goes
                              Spoiler:
                              sam and vala, or teal'c and vala are out and vala gets nabbed. a lot of it plays out like it did on screen but when vala gets away,k she makes her own way back to cheyenne mountain. something draws her there. a sense of safety or belonging or sanctuary, something.

reunited with hter team, they then need to fix her. sam works iwth the device, but it's not looking good.

maybe they use the tok'ra memory device and teal'c and daniel and even cam help her remeber. or she just remembers on her own. the point is that her TEAM will work to 'fix' her...which culmonates in her earning her way on the team by the team caring enough about her to want to take care of her

landry doesn't give her those patches, sg1 gives her hte patches. they welcome her in and accept her

if i had written the fanfic the epiosde was based off, that's how i woulda written it
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                swiping my post from samanda

it would have been nice to have seen something more substantial with vala

such as she and teal'c, the 'lab rats' issues with him and sam, remarks about daniel and his thing for blended women, what precisely did athena and qetesh get up to?

i don't know if i posted my 'dream' scenario here or not but here goes
                                Spoiler:
                                sam and vala, or teal'c and vala are out and vala gets nabbed. a lot of it plays out like it did on screen but when vala gets away,k she makes her own way back to cheyenne mountain. something draws her there. a sense of safety or belonging or sanctuary, something.

reunited with hter team, they then need to fix her. sam works iwth the device, but it's not looking good.

maybe they use the tok'ra memory device and teal'c and daniel and even cam help her remeber. or she just remembers on her own. the point is that her TEAM will work to 'fix' her...which culmonates in her earning her way on the team by the team caring enough about her to want to take care of her

landry doesn't give her those patches, sg1 gives her hte patches. they welcome her in and accept her

if i had written the fanfic the epiosde was based off, that's how i woulda written it

I like that, actually. Some people have said there was a team feel to this one. I say--no way! There was way more team in Counterstrike, in Insiders, in...ah, heck, the one with the invisible stuff. Not in this one.

Ok, I'm a Farscape fan (you all already knew that, I bet). EVERYTHING there was hard fought--love, acceptance, etc. If you got the FS equivalent of the SG1 patch, whatever that might be, it's because you bled all over everything, probably had to denounce your past, probably saw your hopes and dreams fade before your eyes, probably did something horrible to a friend and had spent most of your existence paying for it...and you probably didn't even realize it.

I guess what ticked me off the most was how easily/readily Vala got that patch. I certainly do not mind her being accepted as a teammate--that much was obvious from the way the team's been reacting to her lately. They're all compassionate people and although she can be a real pain in the keyster, she's not evil and she hasn't done anything to betray them. They seem to like her, in spite of her personality flaws. I like those flaws, for the most part. But I didn't want her to be a team member because they've pretty much closed up her character arc now.

And I really would have loved to have seen Sam instrumental in the memory recall. I did love the "Daniel" part because it was very well played between Shanks and Black. I loved the fact that Daniel's still saying "not a date." Yeah, whatever, big guy, you like her. it's ok. Doesn't mean to you have to jump her bones or anything.

At any rate, I could have completely done without the diner and the cop. No point there. Even the stupid Athena thing (the actress was horrible, imo) didn't really resonate. Too much going on and not enough at the same time.

Very strange.

skydiver, I like your scenario better. Please give these nice, talented actors something interesting to do before I have to rewatch Farscape for the millionth time.

thank you for your patience

Comment

Working...
                                X