S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    everything they do is grand and great and it's all our fault for not recognizing the wonder that is thier work
    By the time we have epiphanies (aka. lobotomies) that enable us to see the greatness of their shiny new show, it'll hopefully be too late.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I think the sticking point with Skiffy will be that the season opener has to better than season 9 last episode Camelot (1.8). If it fails to do that or better, then TPTB will worry.

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
        I thought I remembered something in the Gateworld interview with Ben (done after filming for S9 finished up)

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/in...rowder02.shtml

Here's the relevant bit....

GW: A lot of people are upset that Sam isn't commanding the team. We have this new guy coming in. Yeah, he was in "Lost City," but we never really saw him. And now here he is commanding the team.

BB: Well, you know, there's two things about that. One is we're back to the question of fandom and being sensitive to the desires and needs of your fan base. There's nothing I can do about that. But there's another thing which actually has to do with a certain sense of reality, is that the military doesn't necessarily operate that way. New leaders are brought in routinely into units from one place to the next. The guy who is commanding the Thunderbirds, when I arrived there, had not been commanding the Thunderbirds before. He was brought in to command the Thunderbirds. And this is what the military does. They bring people in to these positions. This is the way things lay out.

And there's also a practical element to shooting in that Amanda just had a baby. She wasn't available for the first six episodes. So creatively, as you're juggling these questions, you're not going to be able to make a decision which is going to make everybody happy. So you make the decision that makes the most sense for the storyline that you're telling. You can never make everybody happy all the time.

Comic Con could be interesting - I'd love to hear some really meaty questions thrown at Joe or Paul.

Regarding the leader of the Thunderbirds... Was the previous CO "transferred" for a few weeks to allow the lead position then shifted back under him? I think not.

And there are plenty of ways Sam/AT being gone could have been handled. Broken leg, TDY (Temporary Duty is just that, you go back to your permanent assignment when you are done)...

I really hope someone comes up with come good insightful questions at Comic Con. Ones that are phrased to be nonconfrontational but get concrete answers. Though I totally expect they will be deflected with "humor".

Suse
        How the heck can a computer lose IP addresses?
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
          I really hope someone comes up with come good insightful questions at Comic Con. Ones that are phrased to be nonconfrontational but get concrete answers. Though I totally expect they will be deflected with "humor".
          Even if the question is deflected, some good may come of showing that people are unhappy with the fact that Sam has been robbed of command of SG-1 and feel that the message it sends out is sexist.

Comment

Originally posted by suse
            Regarding the leader of the Thunderbirds... Was the previous CO "transferred" for a few weeks to allow the lead position then shifted back under him? I think not.

And there are plenty of ways Sam/AT being gone could have been handled. Broken leg, TDY (Temporary Duty is just that, you go back to your permanent assignment when you are done)...

Suse
            How the heck can a computer lose IP addresses?
            Yeah and I bet the Leader of the Thunderbirds was actually qualifed for the job, unlike a certain Lt Colonel
            -

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              Even if the question is deflected, some good may come of showing that people are unhappy with the fact that Sam has been robbed of command of SG-1 and feel that the message it sends out is sexist.
              Well that would depend on who is there. Do we know which TPTB will be there?
              -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                Even if TPTB aren't present, I'm sure that they get feedback on the cons; which questions were raised, the reaction to those appearing, etc.

Comment

Yeah and I bet the Leader of the Thunderbirds was actually qualifed for the job, unlike a certain Lt Colonel
                  Qualified. Trained. Skilled. Experienced. Responsible. Cool-headed. Mature. Successful in his missions, and respected by his team.

All those things that Cameron Mitchell isn't.
                  ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

But there's another thing which actually has to do with a certain sense of reality, is that the military doesn't necessarily operate that way. New leaders are brought in routinely into units from one place to the next. The guy who is commanding the Thunderbirds, when I arrived there, had not been commanding the Thunderbirds before. He was brought in to command the Thunderbirds. And this is what the military does. They bring people in to these positions. This is the way things lay out.

And there's also a practical element to shooting in that Amanda just had a baby. She wasn't available for the first six episodes. So creatively, as you're juggling these questions, you're not going to be able to make a decision which is going to make everybody happy. So you make the decision that makes the most sense for the storyline that you're telling. You can never make everybody happy all the time.
                    With apologies to BB, that's the biggest crock I've ever heard! And boy does it piss me off! Even more than I was before. There was absolutely NO REASON why AT not being in the first five episodes should have disturbed her command of SG1. All they needed to do was be creative in explaining her absence. Sam could easily have been temporarily assigned to Atlantis to help out in the wake of the Wraith attack, where her science expertise could have been valuable. Heck, I can think of a dozen reasons for her absence from the SGC/SG1 off the top of my head that would have explained it without removing her command.

And to actually try and tell us how the military operates and that this utter shambles on leadership throughout S9 has been military accurate - from a show that after eight seasons of paying marvellous attention to detail on that aspect to seems to have begun ignoring it completely - well, that just takes the biscuit!

Not to mention I seriously doubt the military perform in the way shown in S9 when regarding Mitchell - as many of our posters here who actually DO know something about the way the miltary works have repeatedly pointed out.

Gah! Big fat raspberry to BB. I'm now off to have some chocolate and restore my blood pressure to level....

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I'll be surprised if it stays the Vala/Daniel show for long before mutating into the Vala/Cam show.
                      I don't think tptb will have a problem moving Daniel onto the sidelines once they've used him to establish Vala as someone we should care about....MS has already said the actors on Stargate are no longer that important to the Big TPTB. Except for the shiney new actors, of course.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle Jack's appearances. His connection with his team - and SG-1 will always be his team - and the bond between him, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c is something that I would like to see shown but I have my doubts about whether it will be shown because TPTB may not want to show a bond that Mitchell and Vala are not a part of.

My fear is that we will either see completely forced scenes with Mitchell and Vala prominently shown as "part of the family", with Jack giving Mitchell his whole-hearted endorsement as his successor (Sam? Sam who?) commiserating with Vala over her child, etc, or else the scenes between Jack and his team will be cut down to a bare minimum and the bond between them intentionally ignored.
                      You know, I was so excited when I heard RDA/Jack was coming back for a visit. I've really missed him. But having had some time to consider tptb's track record with bringing in faces from the past (think Ripples), I almost feel a certain amount of dread. I think you've hit the nail on the head: a) team scenes will be forced in the worst possible way and b) Jack--who, canonically speaking, would never have stomached Vala nor let a doofus like Mitchell lead SG-1--will embrace the newbies with a smile. And maybe an invitation of "let's go get something to eat". (Gag.)

I have no doubt the original SG-1 team/family/friendships will not be shown at any length because it would make the new team-ships look second-rate. Like placing platinum next to aluminum. They did the same thing with Janet in Ripples... She and Sam had such a genuine chemistry, but the scenes between them in Ripples were negligible at best.

I'd love to see Jack really be Jack with Vala and Mitchell, but tptb would never allow that---they excel in revisionist history. No canon allowed....

Comment

well, if any 'spies' were in the starate panels at shore leave, the overwhelming opinion seemed to be that sam SHOULD be in command. that CAm had no business whatsoever being the boss and that skiffy et al are sexist....umm, swine, for doing to sam what they did

accusations and opinions of sexism were rampant, along with a majority of folks feeling that if anyone is qualified to be the co of sg-1, it's sam.

there were plenty of ben fans there of course, but not many CAM fans

CAmeron, for all his pimpage and promotion, not a popular character at all. Neither is vala.

IMHO, if there is a Stargate con featuring the pair of them, it'll just be a farscape con in disguise.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i wish y'all the best of luck expressing yourselves.

wouldn't hold my breath at being listened to....cause you know, anyone that doesnt' love, adore and admire cameron adn vala are just 'women with issues'
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i wish y'all the best of luck expressing yourselves.

wouldn't hold my breath at being listened to....cause you know, anyone that doesnt' love, adore and admire cameron adn vala are just 'women with issues'
                            Even if they're male?

Comment

Even if they're male?
                              It's an issue.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The only way all of TPTB will take notice if DVD sales fall, if ratings slip well below last years and if they still keep notebooks from the Neilsen families with "Mitchell's character is poorly written". That's the only time any/all of them will care.

Because if Joe's blog didn't convince him and others who saw it, I wouldn't
                                waste my time. Also they have to have had other people who "visit" here as guests and they know. It's only a smart biz. to do this.

ETA: Just thought of this. The only way they couldn't avoid not answering is if a retired/current USAF
                                personnel ask the question. Since in the past they did defer to some of the ideas of the USAF advisor.
                                Last edited by LaCroix; 12 July 2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X