S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc
    When I hear or read about this Stargate family, I include not just the main cast, but other cast members and all the crew---alot of people. I'm guessing that, in general, most of them do get along really well and do enjoy working together. So, even if there are a few conflicts, if most people in this large family are getting along, it may still have that family feel to it. Does that make any sense?
    yeah it does. and that's what i'm thinking too. there no doubt are issues. Little ego wars, little temper tantrums, little bits of 'eh, but I was supposed to do that'...but all in all, i think that it's a very welcome and open set.

When i got to talk to carmen Argenziano, that's one thing he said about it. Many times, guest actors are kinda treated, well, like outsiders. 'oh, right, you're here. ok go over there and stay out of the way until we need you'

whereas on the stargate set it seems to be more along the line of 'oh, you're here. great!. did you go check out this? check out that? the wardrobe is over there, there's the makeup tent, oh and don't miss out on the strawberries in the catering truck, they're great!!!'

ie more open and welcoming than kinda cold like others can be
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have just read the last page of posts in disbelief.

I thought MS/AT were good friends. I thought at mc'd AT his wedding. They have been working on the show together for 9 years and he says things were out of sync when she came back. I think the man is lost up his own proverbial.

In my opinion the first 5 eps of season 9 were a total disapointement in terms of storyline, team dynamic and acting. Specifically they were by no means MS acting gems, (not like Lifeboat) they made Daniel Jackson look rather pathetic and basically I felt his and Vala's interaction pretty lame. High camp just isn't Stargate nor is it Tracy/Hepburn I'm amazed he has the audacity to suggest any likeness at all.

Shame on MS. I can understand him wanting to defend his acting corner and to be fair Amanda has had her fair share of the limelight over the last 8 years. But in my opinion Michael isn't in the same acting class as Amanda, nor is Daniel Jackson the dynamic character Samantha Carter is.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        When I hear or read about this Stargate family, I include not just the main cast, but other cast members and all the crew---alot of people. I'm guessing that, in general, most of them do get along really well and do enjoy working together. So, even if there are a few conflicts, if most people in this large family are getting along, it may still have that family feel to it. Does that make any sense?
        Makes perfect sense to me. It would seem that the family is a large extended one, made all the larger by Atlantis' cast and crew. While the main cast are probably the "brothers and sisters" of the family, it's good to know that the family - as a whole - gets along pretty well. I believe the guest stars when they say that, because they tend to offer it freely, whereas they never really have to elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          I have just read the last page of posts in disbelief.

I thought MS/AT were good friends. I thought at mc'd AT his wedding. They have been working on the show together for 9 years and he says things were out of sync when she came back. I think the man is lost up his own proverbial.

In my opinion the first 5 eps of season 9 were a total disapointement in terms of storyline, team dynamic and acting. Specifically they were by no means MS acting gems, (not like Lifeboat) they made Daniel Jackson look rather pathetic and basically I felt his and Vala's interaction pretty lame. High camp just isn't Stargate nor is it Tracy/Hepburn I'm amazed he has the audacity to suggest any likeness at all.

Shame on MS. I can understand him wanting to defend his acting corner and to be fair Amanda has had her fair share of the limelight over the last 8 years. But in my opinion Michael isn't in the same acting class as Amanda, nor is Daniel Jackson the dynamic character Samantha Carter is.
          I share your dismay. Daniel in those first eps of S9 = Sideshow Daniel. He was the butt of Vala's 'crewd'ities.

Another thing that MS said caught my attention and that is in reference to how great the Ori baddies are. He said that the 'greatest' thing about the Ori is that we haven't seen them yet - it is left to the viewers' imagination. Does that strike anyone else as a bit of a lame cop-out? I find that to be a huge drawback in the whole Ori story arc.
          If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
          proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
          Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
            Another thing that MS said caught my attention and that is in reference to how great the Ori baddies are. He said that the 'greatest' thing about the Ori is that we haven't seen them yet - it is left to the viewers' imagination. Does that strike anyone else as a bit of a lame cop-out? I find that to be a huge drawback in the whole Ori story arc.
            The fact that we haven't seen the Ori could be an advantage if their storyline was actually interesting enough to inspire people to wonder who these guys were, what they wanted, what was going to happen.

I half expect a twist in the tail like the one in the Season Four Halloween episode for Buffy (the demon turned out to be about six inches tall) - "Big overture, little show."

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              The fact that we haven't seen the Ori could be an advantage if their storyline was actually interesting enough to inspire people to wonder who these guys were, what they wanted, what was going to happen.

I half expect a twist in the tail like the one in the Season Four Halloween episode for Buffy (the demon turned out to be about six inches tall) - "Big overture, little show."

And I thought it was the First.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX

Yup, precisely. I'm relatively uninspired by the whole Ori deal. Wow only 6 inches tall....that must've been quite the letdown. I hope when we finally meet the Ori it isn't the same deal....
                If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

I share your dismay. Daniel in those first eps of S9 = Sideshow Daniel. He was the butt of Vala's 'crewd'ities.

I got bored by the whole Ori thing and I haven't seen all of season 9 yet. You couldn't get better baddies than the Goa'uld. So brilliant, so colourful and lots of laughs!!

Comment

it strikes me.
                    what TPTB seem to have forgotten is that, when they want their viewer to use their imagination, they have to give them someplace to start, something to wonder about, to write about, to fight argue debate discuss. meat and potatoes, boys.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Yup, precisely. I'm relatively uninspired by the whole Ori deal. Wow only 6 inches tall....that must've been quite the letdown. I hope when we finally meet the Ori it isn't the same deal....
                      When you're expecting a powerful foe, only to see them defeated by getting stomped on, it does tend to be a tad disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                        I got bored by the whole Ori thing and I haven't seen all of season 9 yet. You couldn't get better baddies than the Goa'uld. So brilliant, so colourful and lots of laughs!!
                        The Goa'uld are individuals, with their own internal conflicts and agendas. The Ori, thus far, have no personality. There could be one of them, there could be billions.

Comment

cookie cutter villians...and yeah, no individuality.

they might as well be fighting robots or the borg or something
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            cookie cutter villians...and yeah, no individuality.

they might as well be fighting robots or the borg or something
                            Borg had waaaayyyy more personality.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              Borg had waaaayyyy more personality.
                              Especially the Borg Queen.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                                it strikes me.
                                what TPTB seem to have forgotten is that, when they want their viewer to use their imagination, they have to give them someplace to start, something to wonder about, to write about, to fight argue debate discuss. meat and potatoes, boys.
                                And I don't think they expected the amount of "discussion" the Ori have generated on thread like these.

I under if they even remember how distinctly underwelming the responce was to the Ori at the Vancouver con. (Or so it was reported.)

Though I bet they were too deep into writing the season to change things easily. :-/

The point is I don't care enough about the Ori to use my imagination. I'm too busy trying to figure out why the new/inexperienced character is (co?!?)lead without having to recognise that Real World sexism has reared its ugly head.

Suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X