S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sg Gato

Has anyone seen any spoilers centering on Sam or Teal'c other than being saved by Cam or Vala? Daniel, I read, gets to travel to Atlantis, hopefully not as Vala's sidekick.
    what, the chick and teh black guy????

we're in some freakish AU and they were all fired and replaced by pod people.

what happened to 'with ben we can tell more team stories'???

i aint' seeing anything approaching 'team', what i'm seeing is teh super duper marty mitchell hour spiced up with Vala the Vixen

eitehr that or they're snagging fanfic and making the scripts from that

high school reunion???? good lord, there's not enough crackers in the world for all this cheese
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      Peeking in. . .I'm usually pro-season 10, and willing to see how things work out, but the info coming out on this episode is "disturbing".

Vala goes to Mitchell's high school reunion? Ah yes, maybe she wants to become more knowledgable of Earth's culture! No, no, she's just Mitchell's, uh, friend. Yeah, right.

Amy "whatever", beauty (emphasis on "BEAUTY" I noticed) from Mitchell's past. *RED FLAG ALERT* - smells "kirking" already. If TPTB want to turn Mitchell into another John Sheppard, I'll reach for my TV remote! *reminder to buy more barf bags*

Bounty hunter crashes the party. My first thought? Writers having brain crashes and reaching for the very worst fan fic.

Someone tell me this story is in draft form and will never be filmed!! PLEASE!

I wish. I don't know if your familiar with the Sony Forums (official), but phrases like Hellmouth High (Buffy) and BH 90210 are being used over there.

Gah.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        eitehr that or they're snagging fanfic and making the scripts from that
        Well, let's see... amnesia is another fanfic cliche.

Teal'c getting tortured is a fanfic cliche based on a canon cliche.

Mitchell saves everyone is rapidly becoming a canon cliche.
        Spoiler:
        I can't wait to see how he saves his old high school pals from certain death.

I don't want to get started on Sam's love-life, which will no doubt be spoofed to the limit in episode 200.

You know, I keep coming back to the fact that I loved Xena as a show. It was fun and campy. They played on every cliche they could come up with. And that's what they're turning Stargate into... fun and campy. Buffy (the movie) fighting vampires in high school was fun and campy, too. I'm sure Bounty will be played for laughs at every opportunity as well. It'll be a romp. Isn't it everybody's secret wish to go back home as a hero? That's why this is a fanfic cliche. A laugh every line.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, except that it's not what I started watching Stargate for. There's always been an element of humor in Stargate, and I've always appreciated that. But there was also a nice feel of meaningful drama. There were entire episodes that weren't played for laughs every minute and weren't so far over the top that you didn't have to consciously suspend your disbelief. It was tasteful; it was creative; it was original. I'm not entirely sure I can use any of those three adjectives to describe the spoilers coming out of season 10. I would instead use campy, fun, and cliche. Again, nothing wrong with that, except it's not the show that I used to enjoy watching.
        Last edited by Strix varia; 31 May 2006, 01:01 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
          This show can now officially be called "A Sci Fi Original" as that which was Stargate SG-1 has been stripped away and replaced with the kind of useless tripe the Sci Fi channel looovvveesss.
          It does sound like Skiffy's horrid movies on Sat. - High school reunion invaded by aliens. They could do a double-bill with "Mansquito"!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
            An aside:

Given that the real-life Ben Browder played football in high school AND college, participated in theater, and was into D&D and SciFi, I don't understand why Mitchell's youthful multi-tasking is treated as something extra-ordinary.
            Er, because it is? How many BBs are there in the world?

Or perhaps because the writers are trying to run the everyman vibe whilst making him a complete wunderkind that Sam, Daniel, or Jonas are not allowed to be without being shouted at as being unrealistic?

Or, perhaps because we highly doubt the writers ability to write a sympathetic and coherent lead character rather than a lousy collection of clichés?

I'll be taking door 3 please, Bob.

Comment

Hmmmm, is it Xena or is it Stargate?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Gosh, you know, those lines are just blurring a little bit.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                Not a US poster, but assuming he didn't skip or repeat any grades, he would have been born in 1969, 1970 at the earliest, so he's about a year or two younger than Sam.

He looks older than 36 to me, though.
                That's what I thought. And there I've told that Sam is waaay to young to have made Lt. Col.
                At least they're adding to his age with every mention. Another few more and it might actually start to feel right.
                That would make him the oldest cast member, aside from Beau Bridges, right? Why make the character the youngest?
                Because the "kids" who watch won't be able to associate themselves with some uncool oldie. Although, how many will actually think "Yeah, '87 that's still cool" is beyond me. When you're late teens/early twenties everything over the big 3-0 is old.
                **wonders how many of you fiends will now go and check my age **
                Last edited by smurf; 31 May 2006, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  It does sound like Skiffy's horrid movies on Sat. - High school reunion invaded by aliens. They could do a double-bill with "Mansquito"!
                  Hey, I like Mansquito!

Okay, so it's for entirely the wrong reasons, but meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                    Actually, if this isn't a joke, it's an entirely separate episode.

I'm still hoping somebody is yanking our chains.

Spoiler:
                    The SG-1 hero returning to their high school reunion is a fanfic cliche.
                    Spoiler:
                    The high school reunion ep is a cliche among cliches - regardless of the setting, or the media, or the genre. Basing a plot on any character's high school experience, or setting a story in the environs of a character's high school or the character's high school reunion, on any show that's not set in a highschool, is a cliche of the rankest order, and a plot device of the lowest ilk! Any integration of an actor's own high-school experience into the life story of a character that actor plays is a cheap and ridiculous ploy of the most unworthy sort! UGH!!! What TRIPE!!! What reaking, abominable, excremental DRECK!!! Television writers should have all knowledge of the possibility that their characters on a non-high-school-based show actually attended high school, permanently removed from the areas of the brain that control the ability to write. What's next? Mitchell goes back to his boyhood parish church for the altar-boy reunion, whereupon we are treated to an hour of his grandfatherly priest, and all the nuns at the parish school fawning and clucking over him, and the local bishop blessing him, and the local cardinal coming by to assure him that he's already nominated him for sainthood? They can finish the plot when the Pope stops by to kiss Cambo's academy class ring. Feh.

This high school thing is a fetid offense to the sensibilities of everyone who ever thought to themselves - 'Oh, this must be the high school ep. THere may be no new ideas under the sun, but, Egad - can't they at least pick some of the less used ones to reuse? Again??'

I was semi-kidding about the "Crap, crap, crap crap..." song and gif animation before. I'm not kidding anymore.

Stargate SGC - Stinking Gigantic Cliches on your tv screen.
                    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Mitchell is going to his high school reunion with Vala... oh my oh my... They really have run out of ideas haven't they? I can see mentioning going to a reunion in a less then ten-second comment as they walk to the elevator to leave for the day, but dedicating part of an episode to it ... is pretty pathetic. I graduated high school in 2001 and have no plans of ever going to a reunion. Why? Well, it is basically one last chance for the in crowd to brag about how great they are, and to give those that were crushed by the in crowd to prove to everyone how great they were able to make their lives out of high school. I didn't read the spoiler myself, so I don't know this. Who shows up a Ba'al clone? Kinsey? This really does remind me of a fanfic...

Instead of actually giving Mitchell a personality and his own character development, they have gone out of their way to create this country boy background by presenting us with all of these un necessary images into his life. We never needed to see into the lives of the other humans from Earth before besides brief glimpse here and there over the course of eight years.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Mitchell saves everyone is rapidly becoming a canon cliche.
                        Spoiler:
                        I can't wait to see how he saves his old high school pals from certain death.

anyone wanna take bets on there being a twister????

they can homage the silliest disaster movie out there - with ok sfx, a rocking soundtrack...and the suckiest, most hole ridden plot known to man -

after all , it is in kansas, where we have tornadoes every day and the indians will still hunt you down out on the prairie

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                          Spoiler:
                          Mitchell is going to his high school reunion with Vala... oh my oh my... They really have run out of ideas haven't they? I can see mentioning going to a reunion in a less then ten-second comment as they walk to the elevator to leave for the day, but dedicating part of an episode to it ... is pretty pathetic. I graduated high school in 2001 and have no plans of ever going to a reunion. Why? Well, it is basically one last chance for the in crowd to brag about how great they are, and to give those that were crushed by the in crowd to prove to everyone how great they were able to make their lives out of high school. I didn't read the spoiler myself, so I don't know this. Who shows up a Ba'al clone? Kinsey? This really does remind me of a fanfic...

Instead of actually giving Mitchell a personality and his own character development, they have gone out of their way to create this country boy background by presenting us with all of these un necessary images into his life. We never needed to see into the lives of the other humans from Earth before besides brief glimpse here and there over the course of eight years.
                          they're probably hoping to distract us from the lack of plot and real stories by overwhelming us iwth the Cameron Mitchell 'ain't he grand' hard sell, spiced up with 'Vala's Proposition of the Week' contest

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            anyone wanna take bets on there being a twister????

they can homage the silliest disaster movie out there - with ok sfx, a rocking soundtrack...and the suckiest, most hole ridden plot known to man -

after all , it is in kansas, where we have tornadoes every day and the indians will still hunt you down out on the prairie
                            OMG, that would be such a disaster. Why does 'icing on the cake' mean, throwing the first eight years into the toilet?

Comment

Spoiler:

From GW

It's high school reunion time for SG-1's Cameron Mitchell, Class of '87, who takes Vala along to Kansas as his date. There he reconnects with old friends like Darrell Grimes, and his high school crush Amy Vanderburg, "the one that got away" (first mentioned in "Ripple Effect"). Amy is a beautiful, wholesome girl in her late thirties, recently divorced (and available).

It would be interesting to see how he explains his date, Vala, the total opposite of "wholesome".

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Originally posted by Sg Gato
                                Spoiler:

From GW

It's high school reunion time for SG-1's Cameron Mitchell, Class of '87, who takes Vala along to Kansas as his date. There he reconnects with old friends like Darrell Grimes, and his high school crush Amy Vanderburg, "the one that got away" (first mentioned in "Ripple Effect"). Amy is a beautiful, wholesome girl in her late thirties, recently divorced (and available).

It would be interesting to see how he explains his date, Vala, the total opposite of "wholesome".
                                well, i know how amy would describe vala

Spoiler:
                                trailer trash

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X