S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i just thought of another HUGE plot hole.

ok, IIRC, vala says that they spent 6 hours praying/prostrating. the episode when she and daniel are in poor harrid and sallis.

ok, so if we cn presume that the faithful must spend 6 hours a DAY praying...when do they have time to farm?

farming, especially in the 18th and 19th century were full time jobs. dawn to dusk, literally. not to mention the other little necessities ofl ife, such as bakers, candlestick makers, etc. all those other trades that took all day to do.

so if these folks are praying 6 hours a day, how long can they keep it up before the society starts to crumble because the jobs necessary to life aren't getting done?

if hte miller - the one that grinds the wheat into flour - can't mill for 6 hours a day, how is there enough flour and bread to feed the people?
    maybe the...ori... ....helped?

shhh, sky, smile and nod.
    sigpic
    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      maybe the...ori... ....helped?

shhh, sky, smile and nod.
      Or as we say at my house: "Now you know the people who made this didn't expect all these questions! Stop asking questions!"

(I think we're being facetious when we say that!)
      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

lol

well it's either that or they buy/steal food from the non-believers that aren't spending their whole days praying...which means that the ori are supporinig the non-believers to keep the believers and are just using the believers as slaves

either way, it's a massive plot hole
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i just thought of another HUGE plot hole.

ok, IIRC, vala says that they spent 6 hours praying/prostrating. the episode when she and daniel are in poor harrid and sallis.

ok, so if we cn presume that the faithful must spend 6 hours a DAY praying...when do they have time to farm?

farming, especially in the 18th and 19th century were full time jobs. dawn to dusk, literally. not to mention the other little necessities ofl ife, such as bakers, candlestick makers, etc. all those other trades that took all day to do.

so if these folks are praying 6 hours a day, how long can they keep it up before the society starts to crumble because the jobs necessary to life aren't getting done?

if hte miller - the one that grinds the wheat into flour - can't mill for 6 hours a day, how is there enough flour and bread to feed the people?
          Exactly how many hours are in their day? Farming would pretty much be a dawn to dusk job, as would milling, weaving, blacksmithing, etc. Add in six hours of prayer and how much time is left for eating and sleeping?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by general ben
            i agree with you here there are no subsitute for jack on missions.

No substitute for his SARCASM i may add but cameron is a very good sustitute for his LOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by John-a-holic
              No substitute for his SARCASM i may add but cameron is a very good sustitute for his LOOKS
              Ahh but you need more than looks to lead a team, you need substance, which Cam is sadly missing.
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by John-a-holic
                Not to me.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Ahh but you need more than looks to lead a team, you need substance, which Cam is sadly missing.
                  who need substance?????

he's a hewo and he looks good in leather

what more do you need
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

who need substance?????

what more do you need
                    I'm sorry Sky, I forgot all about the leather *smacks forehaed with hand*
                    Who cares if you get your team killed, as long as you look good doing it
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Not to mention experience, skill, intelligence, common sense... did I miss anything?

Comment

who need substance?????

what more do you need

Thanks, Sky. Now I'm channelling the Scaercrow from Oz. If I only had a brain....

Suse
                        obligatory Jack reference
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                          Thanks, Sky. Now I'm channelling the Scaercrow from Oz. If I only had a brain....

Suse
                          obligatory Jack reference
                          Except the Scarecrow was more intelligent with a head full of straw than Mitchell is with whatever is in his head.

Comment

Plot hole major plot hole. the series is riddled with them. that has been a problem with a good majority of their episodes-sometimes it is okay and sometimes you get the huh? what? and in this season-it is the huh? what?
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

In the 18th-19th centuries, increasing numbers of people were being removed from the land by enclosuring and industrialisation. More than that, however, this is not an 18th-19th century community, however many costumes they borrowed from the Bronte movie filming next door. It's purpose is not not make money, nor even to survive; it's purpose, by a million years of social engineering, is to pray, and by praying to fuel the Ori.

Given the presence of the Ori and the resultant availability of machinery at any level from sharp rocks to satellite phaser guns and routine command of weather patterns, farming is actually a far simpler business than it might be. You'll never have bad weather (unless you rebel), never have to worry about leaving a field to lie fallow, never have to weed. Likewise milling, spinning and weaving can all be mechanised and Hallowed be the Ori for that. This leaves most people free in all but the harvest and planting seasons to perform manufacturing tasks for eight hours a day, pray for six and even spend a couple of hours on themselves before collapsing exhausted into bed.

Please understand, I'm still aggressively anti Season 9/10, but I honestly believe this to be a straw man. How do people in a pre-industrial farming community find time to pray six hours a day? Simple; it isn't a pre-industrial farming community, it's a post-inductrial prayer farm.

Now, why a society so rigidly based on ignorance and suppression needs or has a service industry, let alone public houses in which people can meet and talk, is something you might well want to ask, but it's a different issue. Formal social gatherings - like taking leaves with the administrator's wife - fit, because they are routine and presumably not events at which free and inquiring discussion is encouraged, but an informal meeting place like a pub is something quite different and, yes, here the issue of when exactly people who pray six hours a day find time to get to the pub does raise its ugly head and the answer is almost certainly LOOK! THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Oops. We forgot one thing. Camelot is not an Ori village. So the 6 hour praying is out. Though so is the Ori help. Why the heck has Camelot stayed the same for thousands of years? What repression is in place? I can't see the Goa'uld there and leaving the technology of Merlin alone...

Suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X