S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((Melora))

Totally understand. I expected to love Continuum. It wasn't *bad* but it had way too much Mitchell imo and that ruined a lot for me.
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

well, they did want to get sam out of the way. the original plan was for her to go to atlantis in season 3 or so, either as a replacement for weir or add her to the cast...season 9 was supposed to be samless, at least as far as coop planned. (as evidenced by their lack of talking to her about s9 while they'd given everyone else, including claudia,, their contracts)

but once fans and possibly skiffy got wind of this, coops plans were scuppered and he had to fit sam back in. (no matter how 'inconvenient' AT's maternity leave was) and I think the egos of some were smarting from not just being denied 'stargate command' but also having to replace RDA with Ben AND not being able to get rid of sam.

I think their frustration got taken out on the character...and I do also think they have a very real inability to adequately juggle so many characters. thus sam was very much the fifth wheel for quite a while
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was flipping through channels last night as I was trying to get to sleep. I stopped when I saw SG-1 was on Syfy. Unfortunately, it was "Camelot." I don't think I have really watched that episode since it was originally on. I haven't seen an SG-1 episode in months and since a lot of people seem to think it was one of the better episodes of Seasons 9 and 10, I decided to give it a go.

Now, I have re-watched a few of the episodes from the last two seasons since they aired and have honestly been able to reevaluate some of them in a more positive light. But this ep was even worse than I remembered it being. The search for Merlin and the fighting with the holographic knight and the magic room filled with golden treasure was just stupid. The worst part was the end of the episode with everyone running around or getting blown up in slow-mo with the uber-dramatic music playing in the background.

Overall, the episode was just disjointed and unbelievably hokey. I'm not surprised that so many fans didn't bother to come back for the start of Season 10 with a season finale like that.

So while I think the Arthurian myths could have been used effectively in the show, the writers just didn't succeed very well in this regard. Merlin, the quest for the sangraal, and the Black Knight were written in such a cheesy fashion that it actually did make the show seem like an old-time comic book from the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
          I was flipping through channels last night as I was trying to get to sleep. I stopped when I saw SG-1 was on Syfy. Unfortunately, it was "Camelot." I don't think I have really watched that episode since it was originally on. I haven't seen an SG-1 episode in months and since a lot of people seem to think it was one of the better episodes of Seasons 9 and 10, I decided to give it a go.

Now, I have re-watched a few of the episodes from the last two seasons since they aired and have honestly been able to reevaluate some of them in a more positive light. But this ep was even worse than I remembered it being. The search for Merlin and the fighting with the holographic knight and the magic room filled with golden treasure was just stupid. The worst part was the end of the episode with everyone running around or getting blown up in slow-mo with the uber-dramatic music playing in the background.

Overall, the episode was just disjointed and unbelievably hokey. I'm not surprised that so many fans didn't bother to come back for the start of Season 10 with a season finale like that.

So while I think the Arthurian myths could have been used effectively in the show, the writers just didn't succeed very well in this regard. Merlin, the quest for the sangraal, and the Black Knight were written in such a cheesy fashion that it actually did make the show seem like an old-time comic book from the 1950s.
          The way they portrayed Cam as leader, I often wonder if that's what they were trying for? After all they did say it was really a comedy

*everytime I hear or see Cam I think of a mouse in cape saying ..."here I come to save the day" *
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            well, they did want to get sam out of the way. the original plan was for her to go to atlantis in season 3 or so, either as a replacement for weir or add her to the cast...season 9 was supposed to be samless, at least as far as coop planned. (as evidenced by their lack of talking to her about s9 while they'd given everyone else, including claudia,, their contracts)

but once fans and possibly skiffy got wind of this, coops plans were scuppered and he had to fit sam back in. (no matter how 'inconvenient' AT's maternity leave was) and I think the egos of some were smarting from not just being denied 'stargate command' but also having to replace RDA with Ben AND not being able to get rid of sam.

I think their frustration got taken out on the character...and I do also think they have a very real inability to adequately juggle so many characters. thus sam was very much the fifth wheel for quite a while
            Well, and I believe on one commentary for S10 one of the writers was saying that TRNT (I think) came about b/c they suddenly remembered that they hadn't written a Sam episode yet more than 1/2 way through the writing for the season. *sigh*

I've had your experience in reverse. Having not watched SG1 in a while and catching an early episode and saying "Gee, this show really was pretty good." RDA was actually acting (not just doing quips the writers gave him, not "dumbJack", all 4 of the team were involved in the story, there was an actual *story*...

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            The way they portrayed Cam as leader, I often wonder if that's what they were trying for? After all they did say it was really a comedy

*everytime I hear or see Cam I think of a mouse in cape saying ..."here I come to save the day" *

Comment

LOL. I have the Mighty Mouse song running through my head now.

Maybe that's the problem. I never saw SG-1 as really being like a comic book, but apparently TPTB did. They saw the characters as stereotypical "comic book" characters and the show as being "popcorn" entertainment and "bubblegum." But I never really got that impression until watching Seasons 9+10.

I mean, there were comic book elements in Seasons 1-8. Apophis, Hathor, Anubis, and a lot of the bad guys were completely over the top and almost silly. But Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, and Hammond never were IMO. Even though they each had extraordinary and somewhat unrealistic skills and talents, they were still written to be like ordinary, realistic people that the average viewer could easily relate to. In Seasons 9+10, the heroes became almost as silly and over-the-top in terms of personality as the villains once were. And Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c had to be written out of character at times in order for them to fit into this new "comic book" world. And yes, a lot of the stories in Seasons 1-8 were cliche and predictable and the good guys almost always saved the day. But the central premise of the show was always based in the realism of it being a group of ordinary people (not superheroes) from our contemporary world going out and doing extraordinary things like saving the planet.

Maybe that's why TPTB never seemed to understand why some fans were not happy with the new direction of the show. In their minds, they were creating new stories and characters that they believed were very much in line with what they thought they had been doing all along. I certainly don't perceive the show or the original characters in the same way that they seem to.

Comment

LOL. I have the Mighty Mouse song running through my head now.

Maybe that's the problem. I never saw SG-1 as really being like a comic book, but apparently TPTB did. They saw the characters as stereotypical "comic book" characters and the show as being "popcorn" entertainment and "bubblegum." But I never really got that impression until watching Seasons 9+10.

I mean, there were comic book elements in Seasons 1-8. Apophis, Hathor, Anubis, and a lot of the bad guys were completely over the top and almost silly. But Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, and Hammond never were IMO. Even though they each had extraordinary and somewhat unrealistic skills and talents, they were still written to be like ordinary, realistic people that the average viewer could easily relate to. In Seasons 9+10, the heroes became almost as silly and over-the-top in terms of personality as the villains once were. And Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c had to be written out of character at times in order for them to fit into this new "comic book" world. And yes, a lot of the stories in Seasons 1-8 were cliche and predictable and the good guys almost always saved the day. But the central premise of the show was always based in the realism of it being a group of ordinary people (not superheroes) from our contemporary world going out and doing extraordinary things like saving the planet.

Maybe that's why TPTB never seemed to understand why some fans were not happy with the new direction of the show. In their minds, they were creating new stories and characters that they believed were very much in line with what they thought they had been doing all along. I certainly don't perceive the show or the original characters in the same way that they seem to.
                Not so much TPTB but Cooper in particular, unfortunately a lot of the problems that I see with the later years of the Stargate franchise coincide with his rise to EP and show runner status. whilst TPTB of the later years were lower on the totem pole things seemed to work better in the Stargate universe for me but once the writers became supervising producers/executive producers and a half dozen other titles the worse things became. Sadly over the years as the talent from the top left, those below rose up into multiple production positions and I feel the story telling suffered as a result.

I don't know how many times, later down the track in interviews or commentaries I found out that elements that I found to be dumb or badly executed or lazily thrown together actually came about because of Cooper
                -

Comment

There's a reason I spent most of it quoting both Harry Potter and Monty Python. Both of which came out ahead of that ep.
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Ok, so I'm watching S6's Memento today and Jonas asks Teal'c how many planets SG1 has been to, Teal'c answers 133. That's 133 in 6 years...so how could Cam have been celebrating his 200th trip through the gate in less than 2 years

Love that continutity
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Magic! That's how!

Ya know... Like Merlin.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Ok, so I'm watching S6's Memento today and Jonas asks Teal'c how many planets SG1 has been to, Teal'c answers 133. That's 133 in 6 years...so how could Cam have been celebrating his 200th trip through the gate in less than 2 years

Love that continutity
                        That was completely addressed in 200. Cam said it was 200 trips through the gate of any kind not just planets. The Momento one was 133 planets. Think how many times SG1 goes through the gate to solve the problem through the gate to solve K'taul problem in Red Sky. Thats quite a few travels through the gate using Cam's counting method but only one planet using the context on Jonas/Teal'c conversation
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

cam also counted backs and forths, so every gate mission was a min of 2 gate trips

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            That was completely addressed in 200. Cam said it was 200 trips through the gate of any kind not just planets. The Momento one was 133 planets. Think how many times SG1 goes through the gate to solve the problem through the gate to solve K'taul problem in Red Sky. Thats quite a few travels through the gate using Cam's counting method but only one planet using the context on Jonas/Teal'c conversation
                            Still wouldn't make up 200 trips through gate, that's 100 destinations...
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Still wouldn't make up 200 trips through gate, that's 100 destinations...
                              I don't have a clue what you saying. The counting methods between the two were different so its not really a continuity error. It was clearly said that it was every time he went through the event horizon vs traveling to different planets in the Momento example.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

the point is, it took sg1 six seasons to visit 133 planets, yet cameron made 100 gate trips in a season and a half

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X