S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seshat
    Well, I'd tune in for that, but only THAT.
    major concurrence here. i mean, with all the grrl spice they are adding why not have some equality with some scantily clad male characters? And no, the guy who tortured Jolinar in Ne'tu doesn't count!
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
      major concurrence here. i mean, with all the grrl spice they are adding why not have some equality with some scantily clad male characters? And no, the guy who tortured Jolinar in Ne'tu doesn't count!
      *visions of Binar in a loincloth

get out of way Shadow-I'm first...
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

ARGH, I'm so torn! Stupid fast-grown sci-fi baby Adria vs played by the fantabulous Morena! Argh!

I'm still trying to figure out that "make our enemy pregnant with our destined savior" or however you want to put it thing. Why don't the Evil Overlords pick some incredibly loyal woman who will give thanks for the gods giving her a child and have no problem staying somewhere safe until the baby is born?

Comment

Originally posted by Krilia
          ARGH, I'm so torn! Stupid fast-grown sci-fi baby Adria vs played by the fantabulous Morena! Argh!

I'm still trying to figure out that "make our enemy pregnant with our destined savior" or however you want to put it thing. Why don't the Evil Overlords pick some incredibly loyal woman who will give thanks for the gods giving her a child and have no problem staying somewhere safe until the baby is born?
          The Ori clearly believe that Vala is utterly wonderful.

I wonder if the series finale will reveal that the Ori are in fact the PTB...
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Morena. Oh dear I have said this in another thread. I hate the Adria idea. I hate the fact that they are just bringing in the best looking women they can think of (though CB, I dunno, not that special IMO). But Morena is, without a shadow of a doubt a great actress, and if anything can save Adria it is her character, the outline and idea of her is doomed, but the way she presents herself can still work, and Morena is one of the actresses that might pull it off, but at the same time Im always going to be thinking "She shouldnt even be around", so while the character mightn't be a total disaster, S10 is still going to suffer that title. TPTB have dug themselves a hole, and there is nothing they can do to ge themselves out, the best casting in the world couldnt save the show now.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

because that would have been the sensible way to deal with this idiotic story line-but then-when in the last 2.5 years have they been sensible?
              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Who wants to kill off Vala!!!!!!!
                She makes the show SUCHY and do busy, not ficusing on SG-1, Mitchell Daniel Sam and Teal'c

Comment

Hmm, now I love every single member of the Firefly cast, but taken in hand with the interview with Brad Wright, and the casting in S9, this just feels like more stunt casting to me.

She was very good in Firefly, and if this was the Stargate of yesteryear with drama and characters and stuff I would feel estactic, but it's not. The writing is poor and, as far as I can tell, any actor who has an opinion about what would be better for their character is now roundly ignored. No actor, no matter how good, can make the best of what they've got if they aren't allowed to.

So fantastic to see Morena, but I don't see her getting anything better than poor CB or BB.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    While I'm happy for you, Lexx, and happy for her, personally I tend to get iffy when my favorite actors appear in something that is absolute dreck. Yes, I love to see them working and getting paid and I know that not every role can be perfect... but I'd still prefer to see them in something I can actually stomach watching- and roles where I can feel confidence that they'll be using their acting abilities as opposed to being there just to look hot and spout trite lines.

I love certain actors, but I still draw the line at what I'm willing to watch just to see them.
                    I definitely hear that. Ben Browder is another of my fave's, but my affection towards Mitchell is......less than glowing, you could say. I'd MUCH rather see Ben or Morena in another setting where they could both really show off their talent. But for the time being I have to make due with what the Lords of Movies and T.V. throw at me. So while Adria may, and probably will, be a predictable and blah character, I'll still be giggling like a schoolgirl during her first couple appearances just over the fact that Morena is gracing my screen again
                    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

because your random average incredibly loyal woman wasn't played by Claudia.

skiffy dictated that she HAD to be in the finale. no one wanted to go to the bother of shooting around her real life baby, thus the shark baby was born.

the plot device that will kill the snow...no matter how well it's acted.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis8886
                        Who wants to kill off Vala!!!!!!!
                        She makes the show SUCHY and do busy, not ficusing on SG-1, Mitchell Daniel Sam and Teal'c

i think killing is a little strong. especially since we have so many vala fans around there that are incapable of separating character from actor.

they can write her out and i wouldn't shed a tear but she's not worth killing

(and on a personal note, i'm not fond of the 'kill her' mentality. Again there are too many peopel in the world that can't separate character and actor)

sigpic

Comment

The stories they have pitched so far for s10 doesn't really ease my mind at all. Especially the latest spoiler about
                          Spoiler:
                          Vala's supergrowing child.
                          I'm not a big fan of the Vala character as presented so far on the show(It has nothing to do CB). I cringe at the story idea and the PTB seem to be milking it for at it's worth. Is this the theme for s10?

The only thing that I am looking forward to in s10 so far is
                          Spoiler:
                          the fact that RDA is coming back for 5 episodes!! I just hope that they use his talents wisely and give him good storylines that interact with all his previous teammates. SG-1 at one time was as close as a family, in S9 I didn't get the family vibe or even a close knit team for that matter and I miss that more than anything else!!!!! Even in S8 when RDA was cutting way back on screen time leaving his character to run the base, I still had the feeling that SG-1 was a family. Not so in S9

Comment

yeah, it seems that s10 will be the opposite of s9

in s9 we had 5 mediocre/crappy eps focused on the wonder that is vala and 15 *eh* ones

and in s10 it seems that we're gonna get 15 mediocre/crappy eps focused on the wonder that is vala and 5 *eh* ones

then again, i'm sure those untold thousands adn thousands of claudia/vala fans will crawl out of the woodwork and ramp the ratings up to stratopheric levels

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                              has anybody seen whom they picked to play the "big bad"?

yep-another good looking woman to wander around the show half naked!

I belive that Ba'al has to run around in nothing but a loin cloth now.
                              Yep, have to lure the 18-34 year old women to watch.

Comment

Ok, I am sure the lady from Firefly is a fine actress. But is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that the actress they picked to play valas daughter is best known in sci fi for a character she played on firefly who was basically a space whore (companion sorry firefly fans)..
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X