No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Sam. It's easy to see why she wasn't the leader of SG-1. She's the exposition/technobabble machine and it hard for them to write her as that while still having her as the leader. Because if she was the leader she wouldn't stop the explain everything to Teal'c and Daniel while their asses were on the line. She'd give her orders and maybe explain them after the dust had cleared.

In in-universe, its simply. The team all formally left SG-1 and then rejoined it under Cam's command. Specifically they volunteered to be in his unit and his command.

Its quite sad really because seeing Sam become a leader would have been a great character arc for season 8. Instead I seem to recall an awful lot of episodes that went to great length to avoid showing SG-1 in the field as a unit.

Hmm, this post isn't really about season 10.. Oh well. In seasons 8,9 & 10 I can't really remember the team having a leader so much everything pretty much done done by commitee. I can't remember Cam ever laying down the law with them and saying "do X, now!"
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
      About Sam. It's easy to see why she wasn't the leader of SG-1. She's the exposition/technobabble machine and it hard for them to write her as that while still having her as the leader. Because if she was the leader she wouldn't stop the explain everything to Teal'c and Daniel while their asses were on the line. She'd give her orders and maybe explain them after the dust had cleared.
      In all honesty, by the time s10 (& 9) rolled around, there wasn't a lot of technobabble at all. And yet Carter still got exposition. In terms of giving her orders and then explaining afterwards, well that'd most likely be in a hostile situation, where generally weapons and strategy come into play, rather than science (at least within the confines of the show).

They must've had some faith in her ability to lead in combat, else Landry wouldn't have put her in charge of the rescue mission in Stronghold (yes I know how that ended).

I get what you're saying, and to an extent I agree with it, but over time characters change. By extension, the way they are written for has to change as well.

In in-universe, its simply. The team all formally left SG-1 and then rejoined it under Cam's command. Specifically they volunteered to be in his unit and his command.
      That's how I see it too, otherwise it doesn't really make any sense

Its quite sad really because seeing Sam become a leader would have been a great character arc for season 8. Instead I seem to recall an awful lot of episodes that went to great length to avoid showing SG-1 in the field as a unit.
      Yes it would, and they could've carried that through to s10. But they wrote s8 as the last (hence killing everyone - Janet, Anubis, Jacob, Gaould, Replicators, the fish in Jack's pond....), which is (i assume) the reason they didn't bring in another military member of SG1

Hmm, this post isn't really about season 10.. Oh well. In seasons 8,9 & 10 I can't really remember the team having a leader so much everything pretty much done done by commitee. I can't remember Cam ever laying down the law with them and saying "do X, now!"
      But it would've been so good if he did. Or if Carter did. Or Landry. Somewhere in there the word 'no' disappeared
      sigpic

Comment

The Ori story line? Barf!
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

The one thing I noticed about s9/s10... if they had've renamed it Stargate Command like they were going to and left out a member here and there like tptb started to at the end of S10 then the show would have been infinately better.

Comment

I think that is why I enjoyed S10 and S9 so much more than S8 and S7. I was prepared for a different show. There had been so many rumours and hints dropped about Stargate Command, so that when they didn't change the name I'd already mentally made the transition. To my mind, it was Stargate Command, not Stargate SG1.

I also felt a lot happier with the characterisation in S9 and S10. They lost me in, I think it was S7, when they had Jack act dumb about using a telescope. OK even if he was just fooling around, it was a silly thing to choose because this is the one 'scientific' area where Jack has some experience, and more than most other team members. If anyone was going to be operating a telescope it would be him. And if he was going to make a joke about using a telescope in the daytime, it wouldn't be to Carter - it would be a pretty dumb joke to make given that she knows that he knows how to use one! And since she does know that, her reaction didn't work either...
            sigpic

Comment

If they had made it Stargate Command, and had most new characters, it would have been better, because then I could have watched it and turned it off, not to watch it again. Because it still had the name Stargate, and in my opinion Stargate was never a bunch of screw ups going through the gate. And keeping SG1 with that premise just didn't work. It was called Stargate SG1, it had Daniel, Sam and Teal'c so silly me, I expected SG1
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'm incredibly grateful they didn't change the name to Stargate Command. Stargate Command is the base in Cheyenne Mountain. The bureaucracy. To me it sparks images of Zero Hour and trying to make an episode like that spread across 20-odd episodes.

No, I'm glad it stayed as Stargate SG-1 but I'd rather have had a whole new SG-1 team in Seasons 9 and 10 rather than Mitchell swanning in and taking over from the guys who'd been there for 8-years which still pisses me off today. But not only that...he just came in to the position as if he'd been leading an SG team all his life and the team took him in far, far too easily! No sense of transition at all!

S9 and S10, Stargate: The Ark of Truth, and, to some degree, Stargate: Continuum leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Simply put: I can't stand Mitchell. He's a poor man's Jack O'Neill. I can't watch him without thinking that this rookie, with 0 off-world experience just came in and took a job that should rightfully have gone to the one person with 8-years experience off-world with 1-year out of those 8 being in command - Samantha Carter.

If he isn't in the third movie I wouldn't miss him.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  I'm incredibly grateful they didn't change the name to Stargate Command. Stargate Command is the base in Cheyenne Mountain. The bureaucracy. To me it sparks images of Zero Hour and trying to make an episode like that spread across 20-odd episodes.
                  I didn't care what the name of the show was. I was perfectly happy with it still being called SG-1. Even though it seemed like it was being weighed down with more bureaucratic bleh rather than exploration. Let's just say I hated the IOA in SG-1 and SGA.

And name change was not going to improve the writing, though I think I understand some peoples' desire for a name change.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    I didn't care what the name of the show was. I was perfectly happy with it still being called SG-1. Even though it seemed like it was being weighed down with more bureaucratic bleh rather than exploration. Let's just say I hated the IOA in SG-1 and SGA.

And name change was not going to improve the writing, though I think I understand some peoples' desire for a name change.
                    The name change would ahve prepared those of us who where not 'in the know' that there were major changes in store. Though nothing could have prepared me for the canon/history that was ignored to place the Farscape duo front and center - in the most offensive way possible - by making one the star in name and the other star in deed. (Nothing against Ben and Claudia, but years later it *still* feels that way.)

There were eps I liked, more in S10 than in S9, but the show went from me liking all but a few eps to me *dis*liking all but a few eps.

ETA: It's very likely I'd have liked the SGC seasons (The (B)Ori weren't in it *all* the time) if BB/CB had been *integrated* instead of shoehorned into an established/working dynamic.

suse
                    Last edited by suse; 18 January 2009, 06:55 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      I'm incredibly grateful they didn't change the name to Stargate Command. Stargate Command is the base in Cheyenne Mountain. The bureaucracy.
                      Yes, I can see what you mean. However, through out SG1 the team was based in Stargate Command, and all missions left from Stargate Command. To me, a show with a name like Stargate Command, wouldn't be about the bureaucracy, but about all the teams that go through the gate. For me it is less Zero Hour, and more like Heroes, in that we would see and follow more teams through the gate.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                        ...more like Heroes, in that we would see and follow more teams through the gate.
                        That is what I expected, too. Seeing new people, new teams, under the advice and lead of the old timers, who take a step back, maybe, but still are involved. Could have been a great show and go on for another ten years. And lots of possibilities and places to explore, with tying to older canon stories once in a while.

I would have loved to get to know new characters that way.
                        Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          If they had made it Stargate Command, and had most new characters, it would have been better, because then I could have watched it and turned it off, not to watch it again. Because it still had the name Stargate, and in my opinion Stargate was never a bunch of screw ups going through the gate. And keeping SG1 with that premise just didn't work. It was called Stargate SG1, it had Daniel, Sam and Teal'c so silly me, I expected SG1
                          That was my biggest problem too. I expected to see Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and probie as SG-1, with Sam in charge. Instead we got Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and probie with probie in charge. Add to that the campy element that Vala brought to the series and it wasn't Stargate SG-1. It was just about a bunch of people, thrown together, going through the Stargate. If they had renamed it Stargate Command, my expectations would have been way different, and I may or may not have continued watching, but I wouldn't have felt this sense of dissatisfaction that I had.

Originally posted by suse

ETA: It's very likely I'd have liked the SGC seasons (The (B)Ori weren't in it *all* the time) if BB/CB had been *integrated* instead of shoehorned into an established/working dynamic.

Me too. And this is actually what I expected to happen. Too bad it didn't.

suse
                          Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                          Yes, I can see what you mean. However, through out SG1 the team was based in Stargate Command, and all missions left from Stargate Command. To me, a show with a name like Stargate Command, wouldn't be about the bureaucracy, but about all the teams that go through the gate. For me it is less Zero Hour, and more like Heroes, in that we would see and follow more teams through the gate.
                          That's what I would have liked to have seen. A broader perspective of the SGC, maybe a couple of other teams brought to the forefront.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                            That was my biggest problem too. I expected to see Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and probie as SG-1, with Sam in charge. Instead we got Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and probie with probie in charge. Add to that the campy element that Vala brought to the series and it wasn't Stargate SG-1. It was just about a bunch of people, thrown together, going through the Stargate. If they had renamed it Stargate Command, my expectations would have been way different, and I may or may not have continued watching, but I wouldn't have felt this sense of dissatisfaction that I had.
                            What's "probie"?

Comment

It basically means a newbie. Short for probationary.
                              sigpic
                              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                                It basically means a newbie. Short for probationary.
                                Thanks, I've never heard it before. It kind of sounds derogatory, though. Definitely not an accurate depiction of Mitchell at that time since he obviously wasn't on probation. I'm not sure what to make of the term.

Comment

Working...
                                X