S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
    I meant Gateworld was the ship that's drowning in a sea of negativity.
    I know. I was trying to be on topic.

suse
    up too late
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I think that discussing whether or not we should continue to exist as a subgroup of the forum because of our negative opinion of the show is on topic.

sft, who is also up too late
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Actually I think there were some "team" moments. However they felt forced to me. While in the earlier seasons with the original team those scenes came naturally, and the chemistry the actors had on screen was allowed to shine through, in S9 and 10 it was more "in your face", LOOK they're a team, LOOK they're friends, SEE, SEE, SEE...!!! And I found it to be very off-putting, and annoying.
        Maybe they were forced - literally. Maybe Landry knew what a shambles his flagship team had become and, rather than actually doing something useful like looking at the root causes for why the dynamics might be off, he opted for a quick fix and ordered mandatory "team bonding" sessions - look at the way he dragged them all off to Jack's Magical Moving Cabin in Season Ten.

When did Hammond ever need to haul SG-1 away to the woods for a weekend to get their team dynamics back on track?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          I thought jack 'handed over the reins' to Landry? But I do seem to recall it being mentioned that Jack (as a way to keep him and his fans interested in the new season) gave command of SG-1 to Mitchell - which SO never would have happened had RDA and JG still been producing the show.
          Jack apparently chose Landry to replace him - I guess even he makes mistakes - but he didn't give command of SG-1 to Mitchell. He didn't even give Mitchell a spot on the team. Mitchell was the one who decided that he deserved the coveted fourth spot more than any of the dozens of SG team members and SG team members in training who would have killed for the spot. Landry was the one who, when finding himself with an empty team, decided to give Mitchell command and leave him to pick the team instead of giving the job to an officer who actually had experience on an SG team.

In terms of the passing of the torch scene in the F-302, I find it very telling that Jack repeats Landry's assessment of Mitchell rather than giving his own opinion of him. The vibe I got was that Jack wasn't thrilled with the situation but he also wasn't going to backseat drive Landry's command.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            In terms of the passing of the torch scene in the F-302, I find it very telling that Jack repeats Landry's assessment of Mitchell rather than giving his own opinion of him. The vibe I got was that Jack wasn't thrilled with the situation but he also wasn't going to backseat drive Landry's command.
            My sense as well. I got a better vibe when Jack flew with Sheppard.
            At least I never had a very high opinion of Atlantis. Less far to fall, imho for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              Jack apparently chose Landry to replace him - I guess even he makes mistakes - but he didn't give command of SG-1 to Mitchell. He didn't even give Mitchell a spot on the team. Mitchell was the one who decided that he deserved the coveted fourth spot more than any of the dozens of SG team members and SG team members in training who would have killed for the spot. Landry was the one who, when finding himself with an empty team, decided to give Mitchell command and leave him to pick the team instead of giving the job to an officer who actually had experience on an SG team.

See, I have problems with reading it like that. I can't imagine RDA was there very long filming those cardboard/cut & paste scenes, so I can't see him knowing what was said. That leaved writing Jack with that (sabataging) subtlety. I'd love to buy it, but I don't. YMMV.

Happy Christmas all!

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I remember looking forward to S9 also but I guess this is one of those examples of be careful what you ask for. It would have been so much better had they just stopped with the fishing scene at the end of 8. Of course they did but then didnt rename their new show. I would not have stuck with S9 so long had it been S1 of a new show but I kept expecting it to be SG-1...silly me. I suspect they know that and hence the need to bring back the past to destroy it in an attempt to validate their weak future.

Whatever, I guess its that dirty little secret your not supposed to talk about anymore. I guess if I really want to talk about it I will make my own website that the producers can more easily ignore while patting themselves on the back about their "newer" (standars scifi cliche), "cooler" (probably lots of leather cause thats kewl) and no doubt "darker" (I always laugh when they say that) show.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  Whatever, I guess its that dirty little secret your not supposed to talk about anymore. I guess if I really want to talk about it I will make my own website that the producers can more easily ignore while patting themselves on the back about their "newer" (standars scifi cliche), "cooler" (probably lots of leather cause thats kewl) and no doubt "darker" (I always laugh when they say that) show.
                  The only thing darker was my mood.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                    The only thing darker was my mood.
                    "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Mine was pretty dark too. And then it got darker.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                      I remember looking forward to S9 also but I guess this is one of those examples of be careful what you ask for. It would have been so much better had they just stopped with the fishing scene at the end of 8. Of course they did but then didnt rename their new show. I would not have stuck with S9 so long had it been S1 of a new show but I kept expecting it to be SG-1...silly me. I suspect they know that and hence the need to bring back the past to destroy it in an attempt to validate their weak future.

Yeah looking back, I wished they had stopped after S8. I was also looking forward to S9, thinking this show had the potiential to go on for years. Little did I know the changes that were going to take place.

I was reading on GW today about Atlantis last ep. I am sad to see it go because for the most part I have enjoyed Atlantis. But then I started thinking about how they ruined SG-1 and the sorry send off the show got. SG-1 deserved better. At least Atlantis will end while its still enjoyable with hopefully a good series finale.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                        Actually I think there were some "team" moments. However they felt forced to me. While in the earlier seasons with the original team those scenes came naturally, and the chemistry the actors had on screen was allowed to shine through, in S9 and 10 it was more "in your face", LOOK they're a team, LOOK they're friends, SEE, SEE, SEE...!!! And I found it to be very off-putting, and annoying.
                        Exactly. The poker scene at the end of Uninvited is the perfect example. If I remember correctly only Sam and Teal'c were there from the original team, but everyone behaved like they all had known each other for years. We, as the audience, had to be shown what a great team they are now. Because really, when SG-1 meant Jack, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and/or Jonas there was no poker games = no real team spending their downtime together, right?

And I'm probably the only one, but it really annoys me that they say the cabin belongs to Jack. Apart from the whole location issue, I always thought Jack was quite protective of his cabin and invited there only the closest friends (Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and Thor throughout the whole series, if the memory serves) so I find it utterly unbelievable that he allowed a bunch of strangers to stay there.

*end of the rant* sorry
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                          Exactly. The poker scene at the end of Uninvited is the perfect example. If I remember correctly only Sam and Teal'c were there from the original team, but everyone behaved like they all had known each other for years. We, as the audience, had to be shown what a great team they are now. Because really, when SG-1 meant Jack, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and/or Jonas there was no poker games = no real team spending their downtime together, right?

And I'm probably the only one, but it really annoys me that they say the cabin belongs to Jack. Apart from the whole location issue, I always thought Jack was quite protective of his cabin and invited there only the closest friends (Daniel, Sam, Teal'c and Thor throughout the whole series, if the memory serves) so I find it utterly unbelievable that he allowed a bunch of strangers to stay there.

*end of the rant* sorry
                          Yea, that whole 'team bonding' scene was unbelievable, it's more of what fanfictions are made of than SG1 s1-8
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

But the writers have proven over the last few years especially, that the stories are more like fan fiction than well thought out professionally written adventures. Or - they've started to listen too much to what they think fans want and have tried (unsuccessfully) to merge their style with what they think the fans want.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

*end of the rant* sorry
                              Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              Yea, that whole 'team bonding' scene was unbelievable, it's more of what fanfictions are made of than SG1 s1-8

True. I don't mind team socializing in fanfic to an extent, but it's not much based in the show, it's true.

As much as I enjoyed Sam's delight at bluffing Teal'c, the whole socializing at the cabin (Jack's cabin no less!) with Landry (as if) really bothered me. I soo didn't buy the usefulness of that whole enterprise. They used to be professional military personnel. Hammond would have never done something like that. I'm inclined to believe DDS would have had something to say if they tried to make Hammond act that way. After all, he had actually served in the Army and had a clue how military people would act.

Comment

*end of the rant* sorry
                                IMO, this team didn't have the chemistry the original team had so everything seemed forced. Not in just this ep, but through out the last 2 seasons.

I also thought Landry was creepy in this ep. I actually felt sorry for Mitchell.
                                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X