S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    Yep, especially if they want to keep Jack in character...hell he would never have opened the iris for her in the first place.
    The problem is, they don't. Remember that they used him to justify Cam taking command of SG-1. There's no way Jack would put a rookie like Mitchell in command of SG team without prior training - that's canon (blithely ignored by TPTB), even if said rookie really did save SG-1 (and I still don't understand why it was Mitchell who saved the team; what, all those other pilots got themselves killed/injured/shot down for pleasure? for thrill? nobody thought to thank them?). There's no way Jack would take Sam's command away from her. And even though I like Vala, I agree there's no way he'd let her on any team just like that. Furthermore, there's no way Jack would recommend someone as incompetent as Landry to be put in charge of the SGC. And yet all this happened, thanks to TPTB. So I don't hold out much hope for writing him correctly.

On a different note, I'm usually just a lurker here. I love this thread but you guys are much more eloquent than me, so I thought there was no need for me to post. Now however, when I know this thread will be soon axed (which I consider to be a terrible idea) I decided to officially join you, even for a moment.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
      The problem is, they don't. Remember that they used him to justify Cam taking command of SG-1. There's no way Jack would put a rookie like Mitchell in command of SG team without prior training - that's canon (blithely ignored by TPTB), even if said rookie really did save SG-1 (and I still don't understand why it was Mitchell who saved the team; what, all those other pilots got themselves killed/injured/shot down for pleasure? for thrill? nobody thought to thank them?). There's no way Jack would take Sam's command away from her. And even though I like Vala, I agree there's no way he'd let her on any team just like that. Furthermore, there's no way Jack would recommend someone as incompetent as Landry to be put in charge of the SGC. And yet all this happened, thanks to TPTB. So I don't hold out much hope for writing him correctly.

On a different note, I'm usually just a lurker here. I love this thread but you guys are much more eloquent than me, so I thought there was no need for me to post. Now however, when I know this thread will be soon axed (which I consider to be a terrible idea) I decided to officially join you, even for a moment.
      It may be late, but welcome to the thread

One thing I didn't see, was Jack giving Cam command of SG1, that was Landry as he was the General and in command of the SGC. But yea, Jack 'handing over the reigns' to Cam didn't really work for me, and yea they tried to make us like Landry by having Jack reccomend him...didn't work either, since they showed many bad decisions Landry made. And you are also right about 'Cam saving SG1' and also winning the medal of honor, when many pilots were there and many lost thier lives. So they really didn't get to a good start with s9 and it continued into s10. I'm just hoping that with the new movie supposedly centering on Jack, Brad will write the 'true' Jack and perhaps RDA will have some say. RDA's input into the show was sorely missed after he left (behind the scenes I mean)
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Yeah the ship threads have to stay. I mean where else can we discuss the love story that is Sam/Thor? Only some of us get that one. I always laughed when someone wandered in and thought it was a deeply serious thread. Lots of fun people there, though.

naturally.

/
        forevah!!
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

It may be late, but welcome to the thread

One thing I didn't see, was Jack giving Cam command of SG1, that was Landry as he was the General and in command of the SGC. But yea, Jack 'handing over the reigns' to Cam didn't really work for me, and yea they tried to make us like Landry by having Jack reccomend him...didn't work either, since they showed many bad decisions Landry made. And you are also right about 'Cam saving SG1' and also winning the medal of honor, when many pilots were there and many lost thier lives. So they really didn't get to a good start with s9 and it continued into s10. I'm just hoping that with the new movie supposedly centering on Jack, Brad will write the 'true' Jack and perhaps RDA will have some say. RDA's input into the show was sorely missed after he left (behind the scenes I mean)
          Imo that ship sailed in Continuum. <<headdesk>>

After all this posting, I'm not so much Anti-S10 as I am SUPER Anti-S9 and how it affected S10. S10 was just not good by extention.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I haven't visited this thread for sometime but after just flicking over to SkyOne and catching the last few moments of the Season 1 episode Cor-ai I felt compelled to write.

I am still moved by the last moment in that episode between the true and best SG-1 team IMHO - Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel. It felt so natural and unforced. It was just totally unlike the "we're SG-1 and we're all together" moments of the SG-1 team of Seasons 9 and 10 that TPTB gave us. So damned cringe-worthy to watch IMHO. Those moments really felt to me like TPTB were trying too hard to cement and sell this "new" SG-1 team. They came across as unnatural and forced IMHO.

Dunno if that makes any sense or not. I hope so.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me.
              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                It makes perfect sense to me.
                But then, you are on drugs that make you loopy. That comment was a joke. Not that she isn't on sinus meds.

Agreed, makes perfect sense.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post

Hammond saved SG-1. He lead the attack (not Cam like they have said in S9-S10). Hammond lead the attack, left his ship over SG-1 even though it was getting hammered and then when all munitions were dry he directed his pilot to ram the ship into the mothership of anubis.

The entire Cam introduction was an insult to everyone on the show. It is absurd to give Cam the medal of honor while the people that risked everything to save the planet (you know the actual SG-1) got nothing and it was instulting and a terrible idea to steal Hammonds great heroic moment to give it to a no-one just to justify that no one so that he could steal a job from another long time characters.

On another note:
                  So Gateworld is deciding destroy itself just as the producers of SG-1 decided to destroy their franchise by changing cannon and the basic premise. Odd how when the foundation crumbles (SG-1) it takes everything else with it.

Oh well, I guess this is a sign that its really time to let it go completely. I will have to find someplace else to go if I ever decide to watch this seasons Atlantis Episodes or to spread my joy next time I do an SG-1 (s1-s8) marathon (sounds like an idea for my christmas break, btw). Lets face it, that spreading joy has to be tempered anyway because you always have to qualify it to people, "S1 to S8 ONLY, I cannot and do not vouch for S9-S10..... I do have some taste".
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                    Hammond saved SG-1. He lead the attack (not Cam like they have said in S9-S10). Hammond lead the attack, left his ship over SG-1 even though it was getting hammered and then when all munitions were dry he directed his pilot to ram the ship into the mothership of anubis.

The entire Cam introduction was an insult to everyone on the show. It is absurd to give Cam the medal of honor while the people that risked everything to save the planet (you know the actual SG-1) got nothing and it was instulting and a terrible idea to steal Hammonds great heroic moment to give it to a no-one just to justify that no one so that he could steal a job from another long time characters.
                    Excellent point! That was a wonderful moment for Hammond and totally in character. The Hammond we grew to know and love over the years would have done exactly what he did do.

I would have been fine with what we saw Mitchell do in the flashbacks and being recognized for it. Specifically as *one of many* pilots who did their duty bravely that day. The fact that he was hit and crashed did not qualify him for the MOH.

On another note:
                    So Gateworld is deciding destroy itself...

Oh well, I guess this is a sign that its really time to let it go completely. I will have to find someplace else to go if I ever decide to watch this seasons Atlantis Episodes or to spread my joy next time I do an SG-1 (s1-s8) marathon (sounds like an idea for my christmas break, btw). Lets face it, that spreading joy has to be tempered anyway because you always have to qualify it to people, "S1 to S8 ONLY, I cannot and do not vouch for S9-S10..... I do have some taste".
                    I've been enjoying the "Team" thread where we rewatch the episodes & basically review them. We don't all like the same ones for the same reasons, but the discussions are reasoned and interesting. We're in mid S6 now--should be interesting when we get to S9. If people discuss honestly, I wonder if we'll get reported. Though it seems like if we refrain from personal attacks on TPTB we'll be ok. Though what is personal and what is a critique of the results may be open to interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

After all this posting, I'm not so much Anti-S10 as I am SUPER Anti-S9 and how it affected S10. S10 was just not good by extention.

suse
                      YEah, S9 & 10 are sort of a unit for me. Maybe we need a name for them. (that will pass the censors)

The Years of Disappointment

Comment

Ohh, what 'Team' 'thread? Sounds like something I want to take a look at

I thought jack 'handed over the reins' to Landry? But I do seem to recall it being mentioned that Jack (as a way to keep him and his fans interested in the new season) gave command of SG-1 to Mitchell - which SO never would have happened had RDA and JG still been producing the show. They kept this 'sci-fi' show based in at least some semblence of reality, where as when they left, those who took over veered it more toward less believable science fiction.

But, because RDA left, TPTB were forced to hire another actor and quickly integrate him into the show. It happens, but its how that integration was done that was a slap in the face to the fans of the show. It needed to be written better and the acting needed to be a bit more believable. It was a shortcoming that all parties need to take equal blame for - including the producers.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                          Ohh, what 'Team' 'thread? Sounds like something I want to take a look at

I thought jack 'handed over the reins' to Landry? But I do seem to recall it being mentioned that Jack (as a way to keep him and his fans interested in the new season) gave command of SG-1 to Mitchell - which SO never would have happened had RDA and JG still been producing the show. They kept this 'sci-fi' show based in at least some semblence of reality, where as when they left, those who took over veered it more toward less believable science fiction.

But, because RDA left, TPTB were forced to hire another actor and quickly integrate him into the show. It happens, but its how that integration was done that was a slap in the face to the fans of the show. It needed to be written better and the acting needed to be a bit more believable. It was a shortcoming that all parties need to take equal blame for - including the producers.
                          TPTB knew for a long time that RDA was wanting to leave the show (retire) and as his part became less and less they had ample time to add a new character and ease him into the show. Them getting picked up for another year (also wasn't new to them, it kept happening since s6) so they should have been better prepared with a new character and fitting him into the show, not changing the show to fit him. But the quality of SG1 had been going down IMO since Cooper took over, even in s8. They could have had more SG1 (3 person team) going on missions instead of having most of the episodes take place on base so Jack would have a bigger part. They needed to show SG1 minus Jack more, maybe then they wouldn't have forgotten that in S8 Sam led SG1 and replaced her with a character with no experience. Unfortunately hind-sight is 20/20.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            Imo that ship sailed in Continuum. <<headdesk>>

suse
                            I hope you're not right about that. I was hoping BW wrote Jack that way to have a greater contrast between him and the Alt/Jack but that's the way he was written in The Return which had several cringe-worthy Jack moments as well. Ugh. I won't be able to take seeing my favorite character depart like that.

TPTB knew for a long time that RDA was wanting to leave the show (retire) and as his part became less and less they had ample time to add a new character and ease him into the show. Them getting picked up for another year (also wasn't new to them, it kept happening since s6) so they should have been better prepared with a new character and fitting him into the show, not changing the show to fit him. But the quality of SG1 had been going down IMO since Cooper took over, even in s8. They could have had more SG1 (3 person team) going on missions instead of having most of the episodes take place on base so Jack would have a bigger part. They needed to show SG1 minus Jack more, maybe then they wouldn't have forgotten that in S8 Sam led SG1 and replaced her with a character with no experience. Unfortunately hind-sight is 20/20.
                            This is all very true, but foresight can be 20/20, too. It wouldn't have been hard to determine all the things that made SG-1 a fan favorite and kept those things going. They made too many changes all at once when dealing with losing their topline star should have been enough change for them to cope with. I always liked the integrity of the show- more or less things made sense. But all the changes just came across as completely arbitrary, instead of well-thought out like it could have been had they done what you mentioned.

It reminds me a little bit of what has gone on with SGA and SGU. Kind of like, "This is Stargate, you're a Stargate fan, you'll like it." I'm not sure that's true. It seems to me that each show has its fans and while I'm sure there is some overlap, the fans and the shows are not interchangeable. Although, at least they decided to have a new show rather than keep the old one and make it into something different.
                            Last edited by VSS; 18 December 2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

See? That's what I meant. Eloquent, well-put and so true. I would never say it better myself.

Thanks for the welcome Mandy

PS> I checked this Team thread and it looks great, although can I butt in? Seems like you've got a pretty regular group there...
                              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                              sigpic
                              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Just watched the conclusion of the Season 1 episode Enigma and, once again, another simple, quiet, enjoyable moment between SG-1. Is it me or were those done away with in Seasons 9 and 10?

"The very young do not always do what they are told".

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X