No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite thread comes back to life. Yay!

I agree with everything you all say about Mitchell and Vala. All I can add is that, every time I think about it, all I end up doing is fume.
    sigpic

Comment

Another problem for me with Vala joining the team was that Daniel went from hating her to pushing her case. Now we simple folk are meant to believe the old cliche that the dislike was actually misplaced affection, despite the fact the actors had zero chemistry and Vala did nothing to warrant affection.

And the lines they kept shoving in our faces about Vala changing, no longer being the person she was just made me want to take an axe to my TV.

This venting is doing me the world of good!!

Comment

I wonder if what happened to SG-1 taught TPTB a lesson in terms of keeping a dying series on life support, and that's why they pulled the plug on Atlantis before it began to fail.

It makes me sad to think we might have had a few nice movies instead of the crap we got in the last season of SG-1. If they'd been paying attention and owned up to the mistakes things could have worked out better and the franchise would be in better shape instead of losing the SG-1 fans who didn't stick around after season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          I wonder if what happened to SG-1 taught TPTB a lesson in terms of keeping a dying series on life support, and that's why they pulled the plug on Atlantis before it began to fail.

It makes me sad to think we might have had a few nice movies instead of the crap we got in the last season of SG-1. If they'd been paying attention and owned up to the mistakes things could have worked out better and the franchise would be in better shape instead of losing the SG-1 fans who didn't stick around after season 8.

Good point. They should have left it at S8. The we could have had more movies with our original team, and more money and time to focus on Atlantis.

If they put SG1 on life support they were feeding it poison gas not oxygen. I think it was a lesson in finishing while you're ahead. I mean they tried to 'reinvent' the show (a least I presume that's what they were attempting) instead of letting it go.

I won't comment on Atlantis because that is just a show of massive wasted potential and it makes me sad

All they've done none is put a very heavy negative weight on the shoulders of Universe

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
            I almost puked when she was given her SG-1 patch and then justifing it by having Sam say she deserved it. What a joke.
            Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Shudder Don't remind me. They were trying to force us to accept her by putting s-stuff in like that but it had the reverse affect on me.
            Theories of TPTB : If Vala is accepted by Sam, the Sam fans will forget that we took her command away from her and gave it to the new Male Action Hero. They will also overlook the problem we have of fitting this character in to the show...Heck they won't even notice, we gave her parts of Sam's role! Yea, just have Sam say she belongs and we won't have to write anything that makes sense.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            That's one theory.

It was downright insulting to the original team and to viewers.

Oh, and don't get me started on Daniel trying to make a case comparing Vala and Teal'c. Oh, and he goes in there on his own and I had no sense the rest of the team was behind him on it. They could have had a team conversation about the idea where they laid out the pros and cons.
            Oh, I forgot--this was one of the seasons where the viewer was expected to fill in the blanks for holes in the plot and logic and common sense...or to simply not notice. We're simple folk who just like Explosions! right?
            Now, now, don't be so hard on Daniel, I mean when Vala arrived wearing her dominatrix outfit, he wasn't really thinking with his head

not sure if TPTB were either

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            My favourite thread comes back to life. Yay!

I agree with everything you all say about Mitchell and Vala. All I can add is that, every time I think about it, all I end up doing is fume.
            Yea, I've missed this thread

They will never admit they did anything wrong, nor have they learned anything, since Coop (the father of the new show SGCommand ) wrote and directed Barf of Truth, wrote and directed an episode for Atlantis (which looks like more crap) and let's not forget he'll have his hands in the cookie jar for SGU...

Yea, my enjoyment of SG1 ended at s8
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
              I HATED that scene with a passion. What exactly did she do to 'deserve' it.

Let's see. Teal'c joined SG1 because he had an intimate knowledge of the operations of the System lords and was military trained. Teyla joined the Atlantis team because she had intimate knowledge of many worlds in Pegasus, experience with the Wraith and combat training. Ronon was allowed to join because he had military training, world was destroyed/nowhere to go etc.

Vala's occupation = thief. They allow her back to Earth to find Ancient treasure. She then binds herself to a team member with serious consequences. She sacrifices herself to destroy the supergate OK, that's nice of her.

Then her return in S10 - she gives birth to Adria. Next episode she's undergoing psych evaluation to join the Stargate program. What?!?!?! So she had some limited knowledge of what the Ori were planning, how does that lead to being accepted as a member of the SGC. She then goes on to feature heavily in the rest of the season.

I haven't had the time to read every page on this thread, but were they deliberately trying to drive fans away?
              The binding herself to the team member thing....she was willingly holding him hostage with a threat of death if she didn’t get her way. She KNEW that he had the chance of dieing if he got to far away from her, she just didn’t do enough research to realize that she could die too. How is that any different then any bank robber holding someone at gunpoint?

But then again abandoning a ship full of people on an adrift ship that only really has a chance of being recovered by a race of beings you know will torture and murder them (simply so you can make some money) is not exactly the type of first impression that would warrant one getting a free ticket to earth. Seems to me like the kind of first impression that should have you thrown in jail for a long time. But then I guess if you enslaved an entire race of people of your own free will just to make some cash then leaving an entire ship of people to die in space is just small beans...

Oh and "sacrifices herself"? No, no she just knows how utterly scrwd she would be if the Ori got ahold of her again. I imagine being burned to death once is enough for anyone. Plus she didn’t think she was going to die, or she wouldn’t have done it. Plus it was such a god awful stupid scene that made her look like an infant "waa, no ones wissening to me....poo I will just go save the whole world myself, I am sure I will get a big reward. After all these stupid SG-1 people can't do anything right anyway"... Oh wait, that last part was RCC....

Vala the character was designed to be all about herself. That was her design, if they had kept her that way and had the other characters treat her that way maybe I could buy into it. Treating her like she is some respectable person when NOTHING she has ever done on the show was respectable is beyond laughable, it’s just pathetic.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

(((AGateFan))) I've missed seeing you around

Just look at Harry Maybourne, nothing he did could be compared to what Vala did, and yet they never accepted him, forgave him or trusted him. Jack may have let him get away, but he was never going to be part of SG1...and I liked it that way, Maybourne made perfect sense; Vala....not so much
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  Theories of TPTB : If Vala is accepted by Sam, the Sam fans will forget that we took her command away from her and gave it to the new Male Action Hero. They will also overlook the problem we have of fitting this character in to the show...Heck they won't even notice, we gave her parts of Sam's role! Yea, just have Sam say she belongs and we won't have to write anything that makes sense.

Yep. That was S10! Though by S10 they had dug such a large hole there wasn't anything they could do to get out if it gracefully. But really, S9 was such a fiasco I can't see how*they* didn't see it. Error compounding error, they tried in S10, but it was too late to undo the damage.

Now, now, don't be so hard on Daniel, I mean when Vala arrived wearing her dominatrix outfit, he wasn't really thinking with his head

not sure if TPTB were either
                  Daniel's thought processes were taking place further south. Not sure why, Vala was a horrible character. She held him hostage (twice!), even CB called her a "whorelette", she enslaved a village for personal gain, she wasn't even a good con artist or she'd have never opened her mouth to *be* burned at the stake... need I go on?

They will never admit they did anything wrong, nor have they learned anything, since Coop (the father of the new show SGCommand ) wrote and directed Barf of Truth, wrote and directed an episode for Atlantis (which looks like more crap) and let's not forget he'll have his hands in the cookie jar for SGU...

Yea, my enjoyment of SG1 ended at s8
                  Agreed.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Oooh look at all the posters

...looks like WE got the band back together
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'm kind of hoping that we won't see Vala in the next SG-1 movie. I think BW alluded to that by mentioning that he would try very hard to get the original 4 characters back, Landry and Mitchell "to a certain extent," but nary a mention for Vala.

Comment

I'm kind of hoping that we won't see Vala in the next SG-1 movie. I think BW alluded to that by mentioning that he would try very hard to get the original 4 characters back, Landry and Mitchell "to a certain extent," but nary a mention for Vala.
                        I really don't see how either Cam or Vala would fit in the movie with the original members of the team. But I'm sure Cam will be forced in there somehow
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
                          Another problem for me with Vala joining the team was that Daniel went from hating her to pushing her case. Now we simple folk are meant to believe the old cliche that the dislike was actually misplaced affection, despite the fact the actors had zero chemistry and Vala did nothing to warrant affection.

And the lines they kept shoving in our faces about Vala changing, no longer being the person she was just made me want to take an axe to my TV.

This venting is doing me the world of good!!
                          How about what she morphed into. A thirty-something year old, piggy tails wearing, hair dryer toting pre-teen. They turned her into a joke and therefor turned Sg-1 into one as well.
                          Last edited by Rogue; 12 December 2008, 01:18 PM.
                          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

I'd like to see Jack interact with Vala only to slam her idiotic behaviour down a few pegs. Jack would never have tolerated her antics. I LOVED his relationship with Mayborne. That character was a perfect antagonist for Jack.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                              I'd like to see Jack interact with Vala only to slam her idiotic behaviour down a few pegs. Jack would never have tolerated her antics. I LOVED his relationship with Mayborne. That character was a perfect antagonist for Jack.
                              The thing is that Jack would never have tolerated either Vala or Mitchell and he sure as hell wouldn't have pulled Carter off of SG-1 as team leader and put a green, inexperienced, reckless and incompetent officer like Mitchell in

I thought it was truly pathetic that by the end of season 10 that interviews with people had Cambo's "superpower" as being getting beaten up (even the actors recognised how pathetic he was as an officer) and even in the movies they STILL had Cambo running off by himself

*wanders away in disgust*
                              -

Comment

He did a marvelous job in 'Continuum' with her; we've barely seen Vala

Comment

Working...
                                X