S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Really? (the part about RDA not wanting bloopers.) I always had the impression that none of the actors took themselves so seriously that they couldn't laugh at their own "bloopers" and not be willing to share them with their fans/audience. And I personally don't think it would have lessened the product in any way; in fact, maybe just the opposite. But that's just me.
    Oh, 100% agreed Hedwig. I'm just sayin' what he said.

It's one thing to cut up and have fun. it's another for everyone to see it.

I wish he'd change his mind now that it's over. Even if they have to not use the guest stars, I'm sure there's enough footage of just them to have fun with.

The holdup now might be if they'd get paid or not. It's not a part of the final product, so... is it gravy for MGM? That might be a sticking point. Though they do the goofiness on the Behind the Scenes, so... <<shrug>>

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Hence the reason he was used more on SGA than SG-1.

Well, I have other thoughts as to why, but this isn't the place to air them. Because they are opinion of motivation and are not complimentary.

suse
      You mean Jack being "excess baggage" on the "new" SG1?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's from that ep. What a waste of RDA.

suse
        I somewhat agree. It was a good episode but it was sort of a waste of Rick's time...who cares about "Imaginary Jack"?! But then I don't think it's as big of a waste as 200. Voicing puppets...invisibility...using stock footage...only a few moment reunion with Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c. The only good thing to come out of 200 was the wedding scenario and seeing him lead his team and Mitchell, Vala, Landry, and Harriman through the Stargate.

I have always maintained that TPTB got things in the wrong order. They had Jack doing his SG-1 action stuff on the show he Guest Stars in (Stargate: Atlantis' 2-parter The Return) when it would've been even better if TPTB had him doing all that on the show he Stars in for the past 10-years. That would've been a good use of Rick. They also they should have had him in the season 10 and series finale too. It would've made sense for Jack to command the Odyssey and to have been there to see Thor and the Asgard and taken receipt of their technology and say goodbye. He has more history with them than Landry. That was a missed opportunity too.

Bottomline: TPTB should have used Rick's time far more wisely than what we got.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
          Its because in Continuum he runs into a knife even though he has survived countless blasts/exploding suns etc.

That scene looks like it is from The Real World-seriously any generic person could have played that role. Weir and O neill weren't that close that he had to be in her delusion.
          They shoudl have really saved him for another episode like maybe the finale of SG-1. I understand Oneill not being there because he now has a life outside of the show. BUT why Landry (mind you I actually like Landry better than Mitchell but Mitchell bashing would remove my arguments weight)?
          Seriously it was almost like if a random Asgard came along and goes "hey we are all dying cya". It only makes sense to have Thor do this. Landry is not chummy enough to come along.

In that regards I wonder if the Nox got a decent goodbye from the Asgard before they left

Just quickly what ever happened to King Arthur? Obviously he failed in locating the Holy Grail.
          That was the sucky part of the mythology in Seasons 9 and 10. Only Merlin and Morgana were really used. Think of all the false gods and what not we saw in the 8 seasons prior-they actually were intertwined and we actually saw them do stuff.
          To be fair, at that point they didn't *know* it would be the last season for Sg-1.

Agreed that it should have been O'Neill. They said by the last ep they had a budget they had to stick to because they weren't going to get extra money to have a (not under contract) actor of RDA's pay scale for a cancelled series. But RDA said he wasn't even asked, so we'll never know if he would ahve done it anyway.

S9/S10 was almost all sucky. It had some good moments but it lacked forethought ("This would be cool!" does not count) in too many areas.

Who thought giving the bad guys flying toilet bowls (and their leaders wear the bowl-shaped cut out part of toilet lids as a headpiece ) would be a good idea for more than five minutes?

Who thought putting an untrained (for this type of job) officer in charge of 3 veterans - one of whom lead in the same position for a year - would be a good idea? And that it would be swallowed because the former leader "moved on" and "the position was open" even though they knew the actress who played the team lead would be back after her maternity leave? Who thought giving him the Congressional Medal of Honor - the highest military award - would make him worthy even without the right training?

Who thought retrofitting him into an episode - and making him all hewo-ic and getting ow-ied - would make people like him? Even though doing that and awarding him for it *and* having O'Neill tell him he could have any position if he got better demeaned what Hammond did on the Prometheus and what Jack did in the Antarctic outpost - both actions worthy of the award Lt. Col. Hewo who was just following directions "at all costs" given by Hammond got.

Who thought adding a one-shot character and making her even a more "unsustainable" (<<--Joe Mallozzi's word) for the style of show SG-1 is in each succeeding episode would be "sexy" and "fun". If those terms equal sexual harassing any male in sight, hostage-taking, slaving, whore(lette)-ing and thieving well, she was sure "sexy" and "fun". She was soooo much those things that when they hired Claudia full-time in S10 they had to dere-vamp the character.

suse
          bitter? Moi?

ETA: Ignore me, I'm only a woman with issues, apparently.
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Suse, you forgot that they ignored the loud pounding from the locked closet door coming from the AF advisor
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              Suse, you forgot that they ignored the loud pounding from the locked closet door coming from the AF advisor
              What??? I. CAN'T. HEAR. YOU!!!!!!

Something scary is pounding on the door!

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I just cant believe anyone in this day and age thinks slavery is funny and forgivable. She ENSLAVED PEOPLE FOR MONEY. After she was freed from the goa'uld of her own free will she enslaved people, stole all their money and left them in poverty. She went back only to get her money back.

People say "well she cared about them in the end". Yeah when she was trapped on the planet with them, with no escape and she finally got to see someone suffer. But did she really express remorse. Did she really accept responsibility like Teal'c did when he was confronted. HELL NO. And teal'c was still a slave to the goa'uld when he committed his crime.... and the guy he killed he chose because that guy WANTED to be chosen so it would be easier for the others to escape in the future... and still Teal'c was OK with accepting punishment, not trying to run away.

Pretty much anything Vala did against the Ori in S9 was self preservation. Even her "sacrafice" was because she knows more then anyone how utterly scrwd she would have been had the ori got here. Better to go out in a big explosion then get burned to death again like someone with a mouth as big as her surely would have.

I like Claudia Black. I liked her Farscape character and her Pitch Black character but Vala was a disgusting individual with few redeeming qualities. Had they continued to treat the character that way and made her an anti-hero\villian type like Bester I could have delt with it. But treating her like Teal'c... going so far as to actually have Action Jackson (not Daniel) say shes just like Teal'c and to put this unrepentant still criminal actually on the freaking team is an insult to what SG-1 was and is just disgusting.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  I just cant believe anyone in this day and age thinks slavery is funny and forgivable. She ENSLAVED PEOPLE FOR MONEY. After she was freed from the goa'uld of her own free will she enslaved people, stole all their money and left them in poverty. She went back only to get her money back.

People say "well she cared about them in the end". Yeah when she was trapped on the planet with them, with no escape and she finally got to see someone suffer. But did she really express remorse. Did she really accept responsibility like Teal'c did when he was confronted. HELL NO. And teal'c was still a slave to the goa'uld when he committed his crime.... and the guy he killed he chose because that guy WANTED to be chosen so it would be easier for the others to escape in the future... and still Teal'c was OK with accepting punishment, not trying to run away.

Pretty much anything Vala did against the Ori in S9 was self preservation. Even her "sacrafice" was because she knows more then anyone how utterly scrwd she would have been had the ori got here. Better to go out in a big explosion then get burned to death again like someone with a mouth as big as her surely would have.

I like Claudia Black. I liked her Farscape character and her Pitch Black character but Vala was a disgusting individual with few redeeming qualities. Had they continued to treat the character that way and made her an anti-hero\villian type like Bester I could have delt with it. But treating her like Teal'c... going so far as to actually have Action Jackson (not Daniel) say shes just like Teal'c and to put this unrepentant still criminal actually on the freaking team is an insult to what SG-1 was and is just disgusting.

I think TPTB probably thought...well she's pretty and if she says she's sorry, then everyone will forgive her

sad to think these guys used to write smart, intelligent, insightful episodes
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I wish he'd change his mind now that it's over. Even if they have to not use the guest stars, I'm sure there's enough footage of just them to have fun with.
                    I dunno, Suse. If those clips are closer to the "outtakes" or "behind the scenes" of 200, what with the "funny" profanity and general stupidity, I'm happier not seeing them.
                    Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

What you said. Feeling disgusted much?

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                        I dunno, Suse. If those clips are closer to the "outtakes" or "behind the scenes" of 200, what with the "funny" profanity and general stupidity, I'm happier not seeing them.
                        I'm sure they is a ton of that. But I'm also sure there is priceless footage that would be grand to see.

Suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

To be fair, at that point they didn't *know* it would be the last season for Sg-1.

Who thought putting an untrained (for this type of job) officer in charge of 3 veterans - one of whom lead in the same position for a year - would be a good idea? And that it would be swallowed because the former leader "moved on" and "the position was open" even though they knew the actress who played the team lead would be back after her maternity leave? Who thought giving him the Congressional Medal of Honor - the highest military award - would make him worthy even without the right training?

Who thought retrofitting him into an episode - and making him all hewo-ic and getting ow-ied - would make people like him? Even though doing that and awarding him for it *and* having O'Neill tell him he could have any position if he got better demeaned what Hammond did on the Prometheus and what Jack did in the Antarctic outpost - both actions worthy of the award Lt. Col. Hewo who was just following directions "at all costs" given by Hammond got.
                          Actually that is true they didn't find out it wold be canceled until 200 which was a couple of episodes off. They really should have rustled up the moeny considering it was the last episode but then I am not a business person.

My issues were with Mitchell and his Sodanese friends

Mitchell was what made me hate the seasons the most. Especially making him some guy who shot down an Alkesh and got shot himself
                          1)No Sg1 member gets shot down and out of action for 1 year and a bit. Seriously Daniel Jackson came back from death (ascension) in the same amount of time
                          2)Sg1 has been saved on numerous occasions and yet none of these people got medals or got onto the team
                          3)I am not Russian but I wouldn't have minded that Anubis possessed guy to be on the team. It was just a convenient device to make him Anubis so that they didn't have to put him on the team.
                          4)Why wouldn't you make a newb to the franchise an newb to the team.
                          5)Yes you know how to fight Sodanese-tell us that for the 15th time or so. wow your a fan member of a Jaffa gang who lasted less than a season, never pitched in to help the Jaffa revolution and are self righteous. How exactly are they different from the other Jaffa.

In regards to the Ori-I felt they were waay too powerful and in the end a shiny box was the answer. Their ship design was ridiculous but at least it was different (which brings me to Lucian Alliance later). The religious arguments SG1 brought up kind of made them antireligious. I knw it was explained somewhere in the show but I never understood how any current Earth religion esp Christianity was different from Origin.
                          Sounds philosophical but it really blurred the lines on social commentary

Lucian alliance-I had no idea who these guys were for a while. I didn't know if they were Jaffa who commandeered after the Goauld fell or were these guys pirates. Seriously how did they scab the ships-did the Jaffa just walk away from them. Essentially we just have a bunch of drug traders who use old technology we have seen before. They may not be enslaving people

I really would like to see the outtakes and I am surprised that the comedy man himself doesn't want to release it. Deleted scenes would have been awesome though would have meant something if they were on the same disc as the related episodes-This in itself would be a logistic nightmare.

btw what does hewo mean? I know it is used to make fun Mitchell (which I am all for) but I have no idea what it actually stands for

Comment

hewo, is an insulting way of saying hero

l
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post

Lucian alliance-I had no idea who these guys were for a while. I didn't know if they were Jaffa who commandeered after the Goauld fell or were these guys pirates. Seriously how did they scab the ships-did the Jaffa just walk away from them. Essentially we just have a bunch of drug traders who use old technology we have seen before. They may not be enslaving people

I really would like to see the outtakes and I am surprised that the comedy man himself doesn't want to release it. Deleted scenes would have been awesome though would have meant something if they were on the same disc as the related episodes-This in itself would be a logistic nightmare.

btw what does hewo mean? I know it is used to make fun Mitchell (which I am all for) but I have no idea what it actually stands for
                              Hewo = Hero. It makes the spoken word sound mocking.
                              Think of a damsel in distress. When the knight in shining armor comes riding in she says "My Hero!" When "My Hewo" is said it comes out like a 3 year old saying it, implying that *only* a 3 year old would find his actions heroic.

I'd have liked to see them dealing with the power vacuum left by the Goa'uld. The Lucien Alliance is exactly what would step in to take advantage of the disorder.

Vala could have been used as a type of untrustworthy ally (like Maybourne) as she's had dealings with them. Instead they forced her onto the team.

Mitchell... You know that Sodanese ep was supposed to be with Teal'c, right? Mitchell I have no use for. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to Ben being on SG-1. By "200" I totally despised Mitchell. I don't want to see him again. Period.

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

i would have loved to have seen the lucian alliance as more than a simple joke

have them be a threat...heck vala could have defected from them, and you'd have a mish-mash of really bad, kinda bad, not too bad folks that the SGC would deal with, along with the occasional survivor goa'uld

it would be chaotic, often the hardest part of a 'revolution' isn't beating the baddies, it's cleaning up the mess left behind
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X