S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    Really? I've never used the ignore list on anybody.....I just skim past any poster that I'm tired of hearing complaints from.
    Ignore list is like auto-skim

But that said, sometimes I still read the posts anyway just to see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
      You know, I've decided that the Anti-thread looks good when you put most of it's posters on Ignore list Unfortunately it's impossible to put mods on Ignore But the thread definitely looks much better when everybody else is being ignored - I know, I'm evil
      If I'm pro something I tend to stay out of the anti and vice versa. I've decided to stay out of threads that tick me off. I'm reluctant to put anyone on ignore, I'd always wonder what I was missing.

Comment

Have you watched Scifi's Behind The Scenes video interviews with RDA, MS, CB, AT and CJ from this TV Critics Association party the day before season 10 premiere on SciFi? I just love how Michael Shanks said that Claudia Black is the reason that he is still on the show Actually he already said earlier that she reinvigorated his passion for the show and for acting, it's definitely HUUUUGE and wonderful compliment towards another actor
        T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
          ... sometimes I still read the posts anyway just to see what they say.
          I just do the same ! I must be very curious, or maybe I want to understand why people stop watching the show, but I just can't prevent myself from going to the "anti" thread...

Besides, I am "pro" season 10 ! I really enjoyed season 9, and I think the actual storyline deserves an end, more than that, an end that is not too early !

I shall develop at the end of the season...

Comment

Okay, I really need to vent, I figure this is as good a place as any since most people here seem to be enjoying season 10 like I am.

I really really enjoyed Morpheus - I loved that we had "classic" Daniel , excited over his research and everything, I loved the team dynamic throughout the episode, and I liked the scene's with Vala. For those who haven't seen the episode yet I wont get into a whole review or anything (I did that on my lj and plan on doing it in the episode thread soon).

Now I know everyone is not going to have the same opinion as me, I know some people are going to not like the episode, some are going to just feel its average and some are going to really like it, as I did. What is annoying me as I'm reading through posts here at Gateworld, as well as on other Stargate lists and lj's is that I've come to the conclusion that there are alot of people out there that are hating the episodes simply because they dont like the changes in the last two seasons and aren't going to give the episodes a chance regardless of anything. I'm sure this is happening in the "anti" thread, though I havne't read more than a post or two over there. These posters are annoying me because they have decided to hate the show and the new episodes simply because the show had to make some changes. This really bothers me.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it bothers me when those opinions are totally biased by someone determined not to like something just because its a change from what they are used to. What makes it worse is that these "anti" posters, because they feel the need to complain and vent seem to be taking up more and more space on the forums. I dont think its because there are more of them, i just think its because they post more frequently to complain. The problem with this is that we've know from Brad Wrights interview that they do in fact read these forums. I can almost gaurantee that they have read the posts in the episode threads. And I hate to think that they are getting even more disheartened that the fans dont like the show anymore because of it. I wish there was a way to let them know that there are still a ton of fans that ARE enjoying the new direction of the show. For example, I really liked the return of "classic" daniel we got in Morpheus. I'd like tptb to know this, as I think alot of others feel the same way, but when I post to the episode thread, I'm afraid that my comments are going to get overshadowed by the overwhelmingly negative posts that are being posted by the same people, over and over, saying the same things.

I think whats worse is that the "anti" posters I think believe that if they complain enough that tptb are going to snap their fingers and make the show like it was back in season 4. Or get rid of Mitchell, or get rid of Vala. This doesn't make any sense. Obviously the show had to change, its been on for 10 years now. There are going to be cast changes (Brad Wright was right to say that he gets annoyed at the posts that want them to bring RDA back), there are going to be storyline changes.

Nothing is going to make these "anti" posters happy with the new season, unless they bring RDA back and make the team back to the way it used to be. And that is impossible. And as much as I love the "old" team dynamic, I'm enjoying the "new" team dynamic now and am hoping that it will continue for a few more years. My only fear is that the "anti" posters that are just complaining for the sake of complaining are going to overshadow those of us that are enjoying the show, and ruin having future seasons for the rest of us.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - I just am getting really frustrated with the fact that everywhere I used to go to enjoy friendly stargate discussion - even if it was to rant about how I didn't like a certain scene in an episode or wonder about where a certain storyline was going - has turned into a complain fest for those who dont like where the show is going. This show has always been something fun for me to escape to, to get away from RL for a little while, and latley its become almost as stressful as RL itself just trying to find a place where I can discuss the show with someone happy about it like I am. Gateworld used to be one of those places, but latley it hasn't. Isn't a website like this supposed to be for people who are excited and enthralled by the show? Who want to discuss every aspect (good and bad) and have fun doing it? I just feel like latley the only place to discuss stuff like that is in this thread - something i'm grateful for, but at the same time saddened that the only place I feel up to reading anymore is one thread in a forum of hundreds.

I'm thinking about starting a group, possibly over at Yahoo that is a season 9 and 10 positive zone, where those who are still enjoying the show can discuss it like I used to have fun discussing the earlier seasons. We can talk about what we liked and didn't like and what we'd like to see and not like to see, but in a fun and friendly manner. Anyone here interested in something like that?

To anyone who got through this, thanks for reading!

Comment

Originally posted by thothscribe81
              Okay, I really need to vent, I figure this is as good a place as any since most people here seem to be enjoying season 10 like I am.

I really really enjoyed Morpheus - I loved that we had "classic" Daniel , excited over his research and everything, I loved the team dynamic throughout the episode, and I liked the scene's with Vala. For those who haven't seen the episode yet I wont get into a whole review or anything (I did that on my lj and plan on doing it in the episode thread soon).

Now I know everyone is not going to have the same opinion as me, I know some people are going to not like the episode, some are going to just feel its average and some are going to really like it, as I did. What is annoying me as I'm reading through posts here at Gateworld, as well as on other Stargate lists and lj's is that I've come to the conclusion that there are alot of people out there that are hating the episodes simply because they dont like the changes in the last two seasons and aren't going to give the episodes a chance regardless of anything. I'm sure this is happening in the "anti" thread, though I havne't read more than a post or two over there. These posters are annoying me because they have decided to hate the show and the new episodes simply because the show had to make some changes. This really bothers me.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it bothers me when those opinions are totally biased by someone determined not to like something just because its a change from what they are used to. What makes it worse is that these "anti" posters, because they feel the need to complain and vent seem to be taking up more and more space on the forums. I dont think its because there are more of them, i just think its because they post more frequently to complain. The problem with this is that we've know from Brad Wrights interview that they do in fact read these forums. I can almost gaurantee that they have read the posts in the episode threads. And I hate to think that they are getting even more disheartened that the fans dont like the show anymore because of it. I wish there was a way to let them know that there are still a ton of fans that ARE enjoying the new direction of the show. For example, I really liked the return of "classic" daniel we got in Morpheus. I'd like tptb to know this, as I think alot of others feel the same way, but when I post to the episode thread, I'm afraid that my comments are going to get overshadowed by the overwhelmingly negative posts that are being posted by the same people, over and over, saying the same things.

I think whats worse is that the "anti" posters I think believe that if they complain enough that tptb are going to snap their fingers and make the show like it was back in season 4. Or get rid of Mitchell, or get rid of Vala. This doesn't make any sense. Obviously the show had to change, its been on for 10 years now. There are going to be cast changes (Brad Wright was right to say that he gets annoyed at the posts that want them to bring RDA back), there are going to be storyline changes.

Nothing is going to make these "anti" posters happy with the new season, unless they bring RDA back and make the team back to the way it used to be. And that is impossible. And as much as I love the "old" team dynamic, I'm enjoying the "new" team dynamic now and am hoping that it will continue for a few more years. My only fear is that the "anti" posters that are just complaining for the sake of complaining are going to overshadow those of us that are enjoying the show, and ruin having future seasons for the rest of us.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - I just am getting really frustrated with the fact that everywhere I used to go to enjoy friendly stargate discussion - even if it was to rant about how I didn't like a certain scene in an episode or wonder about where a certain storyline was going - has turned into a complain fest for those who dont like where the show is going. This show has always been something fun for me to escape to, to get away from RL for a little while, and latley its become almost as stressful as RL itself just trying to find a place where I can discuss the show with someone happy about it like I am. Gateworld used to be one of those places, but latley it hasn't. Isn't a website like this supposed to be for people who are excited and enthralled by the show? Who want to discuss every aspect (good and bad) and have fun doing it? I just feel like latley the only place to discuss stuff like that is in this thread - something i'm grateful for, but at the same time saddened that the only place I feel up to reading anymore is one thread in a forum of hundreds.

I'm thinking about starting a group, possibly over at Yahoo that is a season 9 and 10 positive zone, where those who are still enjoying the show can discuss it like I used to have fun discussing the earlier seasons. We can talk about what we liked and didn't like and what we'd like to see and not like to see, but in a fun and friendly manner. Anyone here interested in something like that?

Agree with every single word of your post And the Yahoo season 9 & 10 positive zone would be great idea!

Comment

Really? I've never used the ignore list on anybody.....I just skim past any poster that I'm tired of hearing complaints from.
                Same here.

Comment

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I have actually made that argument a couple of times.

I would just like to point out that the anti's are in a minority. If TPTB actually read these threads then they can see the few people who post in the pro and anti threads. They can tell that these threads are carried by just a few people.
                  What isn't carried by just a few people is that poll on the front page of Gateworld. Both eps shown so far have carried a strong, massively strong, pro vote. The top two categories, 9 and 10, carry half of all votes. The bottom two categories, 1 and 2, carry less than 5% total.

They may be more vocal on the boards, but the anti's are in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                    Agree with every single word of your post And the Yahoo season 9 & 10 positive zone would be great idea!
                    I do agree with what was in the post which you refer to, but for me, I wouldn't go to a yahoo positive zone.

I prefer to stay here, and in time, I shall post my point of view on the threads about "flesh and blood" and "morpheus". It IS a positive one, but I still need to search for vocabulary, so that I don't make too much mistakes...

If TPTB look at these threads, they have to know some people do enjoy the way it has evolved, no matter what the "anti" say !

when I post to the episode thread, I'm afraid that my comments are going to get overshadowed by the overwhelmingly negative posts that are being posted by the same people, over and over, saying the same things.
                    On the contrary, I think we should be as much as possible to post there and defend our point of view !

Wooo ! another long post for me, I'm gonna lose my native language, if I continue...

Please tell me if I made mistakes...

Comment

Okay, I did it

My new yahoo group can be found at:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/StargateForever/

Hope to see some of you there if your interested!

Comment

Originally posted by Linwelin
                        On the contrary, I think we should be as much as possible to post there and defend our point of view !

Wooo ! another long post for me, I'm gonna lose my native language, if I continue...

Oh, I plan on posting over there and hope others do the same. What I meant was that I'm worried that regardless of how many of us post there, the "anti" posters, even though they are fewer in number, will overwhelm the thread with their complaints. And that tptb will become disheartened and miss the posts that are happy with the episode.

Oh, and your post was fine language wise! I can't imagine trying to post in another lanuage on another forum, you do a wonderful job!

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                          Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I have actually made that argument a couple of times.

I would just like to point out that the anti's are in a minority. If TPTB actually read these threads then they can see the few people who post in the pro and anti threads. They can tell that these threads are carried by just a few people.
                          What isn't carried by just a few people is that poll on the front page of Gateworld. Both eps shown so far have carried a strong, massively strong, pro vote. The top two categories, 9 and 10, carry half of all votes. The bottom two categories, 1 and 2, carry less than 5% total.

They may be more vocal on the boards, but the anti's are in the minority.
                          I totally agree that the anti's are in the minority. I just hope your right that TPTB are taking into account ALL the facts, including the polls and the fact that while the anti's are more vocal, that there are still more people here that are enjoying the episodes. I guess I just worry, after reading Brad Wrights interview, that they may get fed up with the anti fans and just decide to throw in the towel. I know that renewing the show is up to the ratings (something they are having trouble with because of TiVo and DVR, etc...) but Robert Cooper and Brad Wrights continuation on the show I believe is going to rely on the fans wanting the show to continue. I just hope they realize how much most of us appreciate the hard work they are doing and are enjoying the show still. *sigh* I just wish there was a way to let them know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Linwelin
                            I do agree with what was in the post which you refer to, but for me, I wouldn't go to a yahoo positive zone.

I prefer to stay here, and in time, I shall post my point of view on the threads about "flesh and blood" and "morpheus". It IS a positive one, but I still need to search for vocabulary, so that I don't make too much mistakes...

If TPTB look at these threads, they have to know some people do enjoy the way it has evolved, no matter what the "anti" say !

Hmm... posting here doesn't exclude joining Yahoo group I'm a member of at least 5 or 6 Yahoo groups at the moment - Daily Digest of posts is the best solution for me, 'cause I'm more a "reader" than an active poster, but I really like them very much.

Comment

Good advice.

Comment

I totally agree that the anti's are in the minority. I just hope your right that TPTB are taking into account ALL the facts, including the polls and the fact that while the anti's are more vocal, that there are still more people here that are enjoying the episodes. I guess I just worry, after reading Brad Wrights interview, that they may get fed up with the anti fans and just decide to throw in the towel. I know that renewing the show is up to the ratings (something they are having trouble with because of TiVo and DVR, etc...) but Robert Cooper and Brad Wrights continuation on the show I believe is going to rely on the fans wanting the show to continue. I just hope they realize how much most of us appreciate the hard work they are doing and are enjoying the show still. *sigh* I just wish there was a way to let them know that.
                                There is a way to let them know that - keep posting positive stuff in all the relevant threads, and if you want to go further, write to Sci-fi and Bridge Studios to let them know you are enjoying the show. It's a fact of life that people who are unhappy about something tend to be more vocal and more motivated to get their opinions out, and that the Internet acts as a kind of megaphone for negativity. The best way to counter that is make sure your voice is heard as well. And it means a lot to people who make the show - both writers and actors, to hear nice things from the fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X