This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    Hate mail is a byproduct for many actors, not just the popular ones. Talk to any soap actor. You don't want actors like that one just fired off Desperate Housewives today for 'inappropriate behavior' (they won't say WHAT that was). That's bad publicity, but heck, it all depends on if the actor can sell a project. Look at Charlie Sheen, Robert Downey Jr. The 'bad boys' still work despite their bad behavior and even jail time.
    Hate mail might be a by product for some, but on my theoretical snazzy new show I'd prefer to have at least a couple of years grace before having to deal with it and any ego conflicts.
    Sure, there are plenty of bad boy types around who get work. It's like I said earlier about my own job, if you don't have the necessary level of fame you won't be given leeway to be insulting.
    If RDA stood up tomorrow and said Stargate was the worst experience of his life, and TPTB couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, everyone would nod sagely and think it was (mostly) true.
    ***that's IF and again, it is not true or a rumour or anything***
    Not necessarily. Casting directors suggest. They don't make the final suggestion. That's up to the producers.
    I'd expect my casting director to suggest me people who would suit the show, and work with me. If an actor has been a pain in the neck on his previous role I'd like that information when I decide which person I'm going to spend the next five years of my working life with.
    I can trade five years of pain for a vast fanbase if I need to.

Back on topic.
    I don't think anyone on this thread actually thinks MS will leave - where's he going to go for a start. It's just wandered into a discussion on career, typecasting and deportment when leaving your job. (Or to put it another way, MS' past, present and future)
    Off topic I agree, but slightly more interesting than "Is Michael Shanks going to leave?"
    "No" repeated x100

Comment

You don't want actors like that one just fired off Desperate Housewives today for 'inappropriate behavior' (they won't say WHAT that was).
      OT: Which actor?

Good looks aren't a pre-requisite for me when I think of a lead, looks are completely subjective anyway - for example, BB doesn't float my boat, neither does MS (bringing it back to topic ).
      True, looks are subjective. However, I think I have an idea of what Hollywood considers handsome (she says, egotistically). For instance, Brad Pitt does nothing for me, but I do think he fits the mold.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        OT: Which actor?
        Page Kennedy, who played Caleb in a couple of eps of Desperate Housewives, was fired for "improper conduct" according to the Associated Press. The role is currently being recast.

There's also Terrell Owens, the football player who may be excellent on the field, but whose badmouthing has made him an unwelcome property.

But in those cases, the bad/lewd behavior resulted in outside forces saying "you're outta here!" Michael chose to leave... and chose to come back.

I'd still like to know why/how anyone could think he'd leave again.
        Last edited by ShadowMaat; 09 November 2005, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          But in those cases, the bad/lewd behavior resulted in outside forces saying "you're outta here!" Michael chose to leave... and chose to come back.

I'd still like to know why/how anyone could think he'd leave again.
          Becos Michael Shanks ROX!!!!1!!!! and is the BESTEST ACTOR EVER!!!!111!!!
          Want to know why do I love Vala and Vala/Daniel together? Because both Claudia and Michael are BRILLIANT actors, watching these two you are watching really BRILLIANT performance, art with the BIG A. [for the rest please direct yourself to the blog comments]
          Darren needs to sort out some sarcasm tags.

You know, one of the things that has annoyed me recently is (some fanatic) people comparing the AT situation with MS at the end of S5. I feel like screaming at each and every one "He chose to leave!", even though Brad Wright said he'd have a big part to play in 6 and the upcoming film.

Originally posted by Dani347
          True, looks are subjective. However, I think I have an idea of what Hollywood considers handsome (she says, egotistically). For instance, Brad Pitt does nothing for me, but I do think he fits the mold.
          It also considers Leonardo DiCaprio handsome, fairly opposite in facial structure to Brad Pitt.
          I have to say that I do like the feeling recently that handsome doesn't necessarily make lead anymore... or maybe I'm just a bit more choosy about the films I watch.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
            Hate mail might be a by product for some, but on my theoretical snazzy new show I'd prefer to have at least a couple of years grace before having to deal with it and any ego conflicts.
            Then you'd have to hire an unknown, AND not have that unknown replace anyone Fans have been sending hate mail to replacement cast members, since, geez, at least the late 1980s as far as I can recall. Didn't know squat who that actor was but their favorite actor was getting the boot so they squawked. And I'm sure soap actors have been getting whacko mail since the Corolla typewriter days....

Casting directors go for look and ability, not if they have groupies. I think every actor must have one

Comment

Then you'd have to hire an unknown, AND not have that unknown replace anyone Fans have been sending hate mail to replacement cast members, since, geez, at least the late 1980s as far as I can recall. Didn't know squat who that actor was but their favorite actor was getting the boot so they squawked. And I'm sure soap actors have been getting whacko mail since the Corolla typewriter days....

Casting directors go for look and ability, not if they have groupies. I think every actor must have one
              But, but, it's an all new show, all shiny and everything.
              I don't think they openly check out what type baggage the actor carries, but it would be information for the producer (ie. me, ego moi? ) to take into account when deciding how much pain for gain they are prepared to handle.
              Do I want normal groupies or psycho penguin groupies? Do I mind about hate mail as long as it's not addressed to me? And do I need to upgrade my mailroom?

Comment

For the record, I didn't make that comment about Daniel/Vala. Hard to tell without an identifier, but 'twas not I.

I know Michael will be back, but I'd still be curious to see what would happen if he said no. TPTB would be completely fracked. Or frelled, I suppose, since Farscape is the new god of Stargate.

Comment

It also considers Leonardo DiCaprio handsome, fairly opposite in facial structure to Brad Pitt.
                  It's also interesting to note that back in his Titanic days, he had been pegged as a teen heartthrob. Nothing else. And, he looks young for his age, so he had that label for awhile. Then, he did Catch Me if You Can, and people started considering him a character actor.

I think the whole lead/character thing is getting more flexible. There are certain leading roles that will only go to Hollywood handsome men, but more people are making stories about different kinds of characters.

I don't want to get into a debate about MS and AT (see, I'm on topic!). I'll just say that if he decides to go (again, no evidence that he will, but no one can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that any of them will stay until they make the official announcements) I support him, and I don't think there would be anything wrong or condemnable about his decision either way.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I'd actually be kinda proud of him if he stepped out, now. And depending on where he went, I'd be very keen to see how he did in the world outside of Stargate.

Comment

Smegger56 - sorry I had 2 browser windows open on GW and posted this in the wrong one...sorry to confuse
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

For the record, I didn't make that comment about Daniel/Vala. Hard to tell without an identifier, but 'twas not I.

I know Michael will be back, but I'd still be curious to see what would happen if he said no. TPTB would be completely fracked. Or frelled, I suppose, since Farscape is the new god of Stargate.
                        Personally, I don't think a S10 would've been announced without getting some sort of promise from Ben that he would be back for S10. I just can't imagine them being okay with having the leadership position change after just establishing Mitchell.

Also, I can't see MS not coming back, not unless he had a starring role lined up in a show on a major network. But that's highly unlikely, imo.

Comment

But, but, it's an all new show, all shiny and everything.
                          I don't think they openly check out what type baggage the actor carries, but it would be information for the producer (ie. me, ego moi? ) to take into account when deciding how much pain for gain they are prepared to handle.
                          Do I want normal groupies or psycho penguin groupies? Do I mind about hate mail as long as it's not addressed to me? And do I need to upgrade my mailroom?
                          Ha. think you underestimate the extremely thick skin that producers have. They're not in the business to make fan friends, but money

Comment

Apologies madam, I didn't mean to imply.
                            It was actually posted by anonymous, who seems to be a very busy blog commentator.

Ha. think you underestimate the extremely thick skin that producers have. They're not in the business to make fan friends, but money
                            Do you mind! It's genetic, nothing I can do about it. Humph!
                            True, so it all comes back to whether the actor is a big enough star to outweigh the fact I have an equally capable actor without the baggage.
                            (For the topic) MS isn't that big a star.
                            Last edited by smurf; 09 November 2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Hm, don't see any of the folks on Stargate as 'big stars'; they're working actors who, at least to me, are a lot more appealing than over-hyped folk like Cruise and Dicaprio.

Comment

Hm, don't see any of the folks on Stargate as 'big stars'; they're working actors who, at least to me, are a lot more appealing than over-hyped folk like Cruise and Dicaprio.
                                I couldn't agree with you more on this one. They just come off as more "down to Earth", at least to me.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X