Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His 'bad guy' roles have been few, but decent. He was pretty convincing as a rapist in Suspicious River. (I may have got the title wrong.) How do casting directors work - would actors have an 'audition tape' to send where they can showcase their various skills? or do casting directors just work out of their own heads and think "what have *I* seen this actor in?"

Madeleine

Comment

It depends what level the casting director is casting at.
      At the top of the tree casting may not be needed because an actor is already attached to the project - as in the case of RDA or William Peterson in CSI.
      If not then it will be a case of already knowing an actor's previous work, or having met them or worked with them before, or getting good word of mouth on someone, and asking them to come in and meet with the relevant PTB - as in the case of Corin.
      Then to fill out the roles where a "name" or recognition isn't needed, the casting director would put word about to the various acting agencies and rely on them to push forward the actors who would most suit the role. It'll be head shots and resumés at this point, then auditions live or taped.
      Originally posted by GateAngel
      Producers and casting directors in Hollywood most likely don't even know that there was a fan campaign. Unless something like that effects their own projects directly, they don't even show up on the producer or casting director's radar. So what the fans had to say or not about Michael Shanks being Daniel Jackson was in all probability irelevant to them.

If they did know about it, then what they saw was an actor that can create publicity for a project. Whether anyone likes it or not, the SDJ was pure publicity for the show. It meant that there were viewers and viewers mean revenue for the advertisers and that meant that the studios can charge more money for the advertising space.
      I wouldn't say all publicity is good publicity for an actor.
      Put it one way; if I were casting for my new show, and obviously I think it will be brilliant and run for years, given the choice between two actors of equal ability and stature I would go with the one I think I can work with in the long term. I want a nice happy set, because I'll have enough stress without having to deal with egos and fan hate mail.

Producers may not know about the fandom campaign or his interviews post-SG1, but I'd bet casting directors would have found out about it at some point during the casting process.
      Originally posted by Skydiver
      what i see as more of a leading actor isn't quite his looks, but his attitude. he needs to be, well paternal is too strong a word, but almost like that. he's mentorin, leading but also knows when to step back and let the younger actors under his wing step forth and grow into their own. (that's where the paternal comes in, kinda of parent like)

s/he can't be fussed about number of lines or number of scenes. to me a good leading man is there to hold the show together but doesnt' think that it all has to be about him.
      Ditto.
      Good looks aren't a pre-requisite for me when I think of a lead, looks are completely subjective anyway - for example, BB doesn't float my boat, neither does MS (bringing it back to topic ).
      It's acting ability and attitude. I like my leads to come across as human (flaws and all), and to always have their character "alive" in the scene, but not necessarily dominate every scene. And, for a really good lead, that little extra buzz of connection you get when the actor is on screen. Something about them that allows me forgive the ropeyness of the show if the story isn't all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
        [color=indigo]As I recall, MS left once before.....and as he probably has a much more inflated self image of himself now, the only thing that will probably keep him on board for another season is more air time and MONEY.
        It's very interesting to me that actors are seemingly put on a different plane than any other working human being.

Most people today, whatever their profession, will switch jobs for a higher job title, more of a challenge, and, particularly, more money. In fact, it's said the average person will change companies several times in their career for. In my industry, it happens constantly.

Why should having a good self-image and confidence that you can get a better job be an admirable trait for--say--a marketing executive or computer programmer and something to criticize in an actor?

He's just doing something we all should do in our own careers.

Comment

I don't know too many times when people will make a big deal out of leaving their job, badmouthing the bosses, finding other work... and then going back after a year, ousting the guy brought in as a replacement and carrying on as if nothing had happened.

Could happen all the time, for all I know. I just never hear about it.

EDIT: And no, I'm not saying Michael is directly responsible for booting Corin out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf

Put it one way; if I were casting for my new show, and obviously I think it will be brilliant and run for years, given the choice between two actors of equal ability and stature I would go with the one I think I can work with in the long term. I want a nice happy set, because I'll have enough stress without having to deal with egos and fan hate mail.
            that's my opinion too of folks i work with. if i have two equally qualified people and know that one is easy to work with and another is a bit of a jerk with an attitude problem, i'll take the easy to work with person. heck even if the easy person is a bit less qualified, i'd rather work with them because it's easier to train than it is to deal with attitude issues

all publicity isn't always good. look at Roma Downy, who, after rumors started to spread about how she treated her husband, she was less sought after. or any other celebrity scandals over the years. or the american NBA players, who are facing more stringent behavorial rules because they have a rather negative image and it's affecting the game

stuff like this however, isn't always something that comes naturally to people. sometimes people need the experience to realize that even an off the cuff remark can be blown out of proportion.

I think, in many ways, MS wasnt' happy with leaving the show and his pride got in the way of him asking to come back. and i think that disappointment colored his interviews for many months. and those, ratehr grumpy interviews, certainly didnt' help his public image.

he got a lot of publicity, sure. but i really don't think all of it was good.

this is pretty much why i have no doubt that he'll sign for s10. (see, i got it back on topic too )
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yep, in my previous job I've been asked by my boss what I'd think of X joining my team, and my instant reaction was "oh god, no". I didn't care how good or bad X was I just knew the X's attitude would cause problems in a small team.

Originally posted by MediaSavant
              It's very interesting to me that actors are seemingly put on a different plane than any other working human being.

Most people today, whatever their profession, will switch jobs for a higher job title, more of a challenge, and, particularly, more money. In fact, it's said the average person will change companies several times in their career for. In my industry, it happens constantly.

Why should having a good self-image and confidence that you can get a better job be an admirable trait for--say--a marketing executive or computer programmer and something to criticize in an actor?

He's just doing something we all should do in our own careers.
              A good self-image is one thing, but I don't think I'd do my career much good if I turned around to my clients and told them to "stop being idiots, grow a backbone, and make a decision so we can knock it on the head and go home. It's not as if this is a good use of my skills, we're only selling drain cleaner not sorting out third world debt."
              Even though I would absolutely love to sometimes.

Funny thing though (and it seems to be the same with actors), in 10 years time, if all goes well, I probably could say it, and people would mark it down as artistic temperament. One rule for me and MS, and another rule for Brad Pitt.
              Last edited by smurf; 09 November 2005, 08:16 AM.

Comment

While I know that a majority of people are convinced that Michael will be back... I'm curious about the ones who think he'll "move on" to something else. Why would he do that? Given everything that has been said here about what reasons he might have to stay, what reasons are for him to leave? Where do you think he could go that he'd get more recognition, a higher paycheck, and more storytime?

Comment

Hate mail is a byproduct for many actors, not just the popular ones. Talk to any soap actor. You don't want actors like that one just fired off Desperate Housewives today for 'inappropriate behavior' (they won't say WHAT that was). That's bad publicity, but heck, it all depends on if the actor can sell a project. Look at Charlie Sheen, Robert Downey Jr. The 'bad boys' still work despite their bad behavior and even jail time.

Studios also use the Q factor (or something like that) to determine who they want. Sometimes it's "oh yea, I know that face, I'd see his movie" will get an actor a job better than all the acting chops in the world. It's not fair, but Hollywood has its own weird rules.

Producers may not know about the fandom campaign or his interviews post-SG1, but I'd bet casting directors would have found out about it at some point during the casting process.
                  Not necessarily. Casting directors suggest. They don't make the final suggestion. That's up to the producers. Read http://www.tri7entertainment.com/art...gdirectors.htm.

When actors audition, they often send ahead demo tapes (or maybe it's DVDs now) of snippets of all their work to show their range. That helps in securing a role, as does knowing people.

Anyway, I'm positive MS will come back for season 10.

Comment

I don't know if this is true or not, but the new interview with Ben Browder, it says the Michael Shanks might not be coming back for season 10. But Browder says there shouldn't be a problem, that in all likelihood he will be back.

Should we be concerned by the mere mention of Shanks possibly leaving?

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                    Lister: 'Why not?'
                    Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                    Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                    Rimmer: 'See who?'
                    Cat: 'The king.'
                    Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                    Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                    Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Firstly, there are already at least two threads on this subject...secondly, I agree...I wouldn't worry

ETA: This, kids, is what happens when you have GW on more than one window...this post was not intended for this thread...
                      Last edited by sueKay; 09 November 2005, 02:18 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

He wouldn't walk away from the show after all this time. Besides, he will be centric during the coming season/s and wouldnt walk away from such a vital role. And, as I have said quite often, MS has said that he will remain with Stargate for as long as he can. I wouldnt worry
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                          Firstly, there are already at least two threads on this subject...secondly, I agree...I wouldn't worry
                          I looked, couldn't find one... next time i'll look properly.

Many apologies for the spamming.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                          Lister: 'Why not?'
                          Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                          Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                          Rimmer: 'See who?'
                          Cat: 'The king.'
                          Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                          Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                          Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Can I just say a huge mucho YES! to everything MediaSavant said? And, since every actor who dares to leave a show because of their career (whether they're not happy with their job or because they have the absolute gall to think they might be able to do better) gets tarred and feathered, I'd say it has nothing to do with MS personally. Just once, I'd like an actor, any actor, to announce that he or she is leaving a show, and to say that it's because they want to see if they can make it in the movies (maybe even say that they think they might have a shot), and for the general public to say, "Good luck, hope it goes well." And, if it doesn't, to not say it serves them right. But, that's a pipe dream.

Still, we have no proof one way or the other that MS is leaving. We have interpretations of statements that could easily have a different spin. He's up for a major tv role? People automatically assumed that meant he was being cast in a new tv show, or having a long term part in an existing one. Ergo, he must be leaving. Then, we find out he has a guest starring role on a show. Which, could be major because his role is the biggest in that particular episode. Or, it could be that his role isn't the biggest, but it was phrased that way because he has a guest role on a major tv show. MS' publicist issues a statement that he's a free agent. NOOO! (Or, YES! depending on your perspective) That means he's not coming back! What it means is, he hasn't signed a contract. He's a free agent. It doesn't mean he will stay a free agent.
                            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

[QUOTE=Dani347]
                              Still, we have no proof one way or the other that MS is leaving. QUOTE]

It's ALL fan speculation. There is NO news that he is leaving the show, just that he's negotiating his contract, like any of us would too. Well, the smart ones of us would

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                what i see as more of a leading actor isn't quite his looks, but his attitude. he needs to be, well paternal is too strong a word, but almost like that. he's mentorin, leading but also knows when to step back and let the younger actors under his wing step forth and grow into their own. (that's where the paternal comes in, kinda of parent like)

s/he can't be fussed about number of lines or number of scenes. to me a good leading man is there to hold the show together but doesnt' think that it all has to be about him.

i compare william peterson, who seems to be like this (as was rda) to david Caruso....who seems to let his ego do the walking far too much. i dont' consider caruso a good leading man because he's too wrapped up in "ME" to play well with the rest of the kids.

a good leading actor knows how to share, and has the confidence not to be threatened by someone else getting more lines than he has, or coming into his/her own as a supporting actor

I think that amanda has this ability to mentor and lead. and rda has it.

but that, to me, is what makes a good leading actor/actress

Well Said

Joanne

Comment

Working...
                                X