This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    scifi doesn't care about the quality of the show, just how much they can try to do a live action tripping the rift
    Well they should, the better the quality the longer the show and the crapier (of the quality) the show, the shorter the show.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
      I heard Skippy was busy and couldn't do S9.
      Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? Remember that show as a kid....

I don't doubt that everybody will sign back for season 10, but with conditions/perks for writing, directing, etc., those coveted things you get because I don't think there are going to be across-the-board astronomical pay raises....

Comment

For right now, I'm still pretty positive about everyone signing back on for next season. I'd continue to watch either way, but just feel we'd be way better off with things staying like they are now for awhile longer. At least a couple more seasons.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? Remember that show as a kid....

I don't doubt that everybody will sign back for season 10, but with conditions/perks for writing, directing, etc., those coveted things you get because I don't think there are going to be across-the-board astronomical pay raises....
          They had intended to sign Flipper for S3 of SGA, but with having to make room for Sam it all fell through.

I think it was on the commentary for Metamorphosis when James Tichnor said something along the lines of they offered writing or directing opportunities to cut back on the pay rises.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone re-signed. It's a nice gig if you can get it.

Comment

i can see that happening, and in one way it's a good thing for the actors. yes, more money is always good, however putting writer or director on your resume could make you more marketable

almost every evening when i watch tv, i see familiar names as directors, Betty Thomas, Roxanne Dawson, the guy that played tom paris, plus others

all of these were actors of a decent level, but actos that would never be 'a' list or stars.

however, being a writer or director can give an actor a career beyond that of in front of a fickle camera where, all too often, the emphasis is on looks and not talent
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i can see that happening, and in one way it's a good thing for the actors. yes, more money is always good, however putting writer or director on your resume could make you more marketable

almost every evening when i watch tv, i see familiar names as directors, Betty Thomas, Roxanne Dawson, the guy that played tom paris, plus others

all of these were actors of a decent level, but actos that would never be 'a' list or stars.

however, being a writer or director can give an actor a career beyond that of in front of a fickle camera where, all too often, the emphasis is on looks and not talent
              Very true, and probably more important to those actors who work in genres with the most risk of typecasting, like sci-fi. Especially now pretty young things in not much clothing is "in" again, and shelf life becomes much shorter.

Comment

You know, this seems really... I dunno... icky to me. He cancels on Gate Fans at the last minute-- many of whom went to the convention just to see him, so that he can start filming on CSI. Further, he is not yet signing, presumably to get more money... seems quite prima donna-ish to me. I mean, he left for a year, and then because he wanted to come back Corin Nemic was dropped like a hat, and here comes Michael-- with special added billing on the credits. How David Caruso....

I know a lot of people out there like Michael, I don't dislike him. However, I have to say that Daniel's character has become like fingernails on a blackboard, especially when Vala is around. I think it's a mixture of writing and directing, but I really have to say that SG1 is not as good as it used to be, and I am quite tempted to completely stop watching it, it's been so bad.

And I have a few friends who are saying the same things... But it seems quite prima dona to me, he'll probably demand more money or will refuse to sign. This show has jumped the show, and Michael is trying to fish for more money. I think it's rude to his fans, they made him, and look at the way he is treating him. He's probably trying to negotiate for top billing or something. Seems rather egomaniacle to me.

maddy

Comment

actors canceling con appearances for work is actually quite common

teryl missed part of her commitments to gatecon 2001 because she was playing Heimdal

amanda cancelled gabit the first time because she was taping

i think michael has cancelled before because of work and i know that other, not so main, actors have cancelled because they've gotten roles

not only that, actors have had to drop jobs on stargate because they have other roles. jr bourne was supposed to be in summit and last stand but got the role in 13 ghosts, the actress that played Cassie changed because Katie Stuart was making X-men 2

basically, the life and work of an actor is often last minute and thus, leades to them having to cancel things

it happens
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maddyjames
                    You know, this seems really... I dunno... icky to me. He cancels on Gate Fans at the last minute-- many of whom went to the convention just to see him, so that he can start filming on CSI. Further, he is not yet signing, presumably to get more money... seems quite prima donna-ish to me. I mean, he left for a year, and then because he wanted to come back Corin Nemic was dropped like a hat, and here comes Michael-- with special added billing on the credits. How David Caruso
                    Neither Michael nor Amanda have signed, and heck, we don't know about Chris either. It's a very common practice that when a contract expires and comes up for rengotiation, as it does on SG1 as they do it on a yearly basis, that everybody is going to jockey for added benefits. You'd been a fool not to.

As for the Corin Nemec situation, fans were not privy to what happened behind the scenes so there's no use assigning blame. Magazine articles said that Michael was asked to come back.

As for the credits, agents negotiate for those credits. That's another common practice in HOllywood. Michael's not the only one to do it.

As for actors cancelling out of cons, they're getting work. You wouldn't NOT take a job to go a con, right?

Comment

And Sean Patrick Flannery couldn't reprise his role (as Orlin) in The Fourth Hourseman because he was on The Dead Zone (I think)
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, if Shanks leaves it's over. He's one of the two important people from the movie, in complete honesty, to myself included, I can admit that on SG-1 perhaps because of their character's inclusion in the actual movie, he and RDA were more important than Chris Judge and Amanda Tapping. So simply put, if he leaves it's over. This is a team show, I don't want to see characters traded on and off for the rest of it's life. This show was definetly strong enough to sustain it's lead character's loss, however if it loses another character the show will lose credability.

Comment

why won't they ask corin back??? cause he doesnt fill out a bustier like claudia does.
                          I dunno, he looked pretty hot dressed as a hooker in Beer for my Horses. But yeah, Corin is never again setting foot on Stargate. Whatever happened, he's permanently blackballed, despite the placating BS TPTB occasionally spout.

Shanks coming back for S10 is about as sure as the stargate coming back for S10- it's an unquestionable certainty, as far as I'm concerned.

Will add to all the commentary about how actors cancel con appearances all the time- even at the last minute. Sometimes they don't know exactly when they're going to be needed on a set and if they're committed to work then they can't very well say, "Sorry, guys, I have to go to a convention instead." Not just because of the money, either. Shooting schedules can't always be flexible and in this case, to toss it all out the window for a guest star... frankly I think it'd have sounded a lot more prima donna if he HAD bailed on CSI to do the con. Screw up production of a show so that he can go and get his ego fed by his adoring fans?

And no, I'm not saying anything about the size of Michael's ego (or any other parts of him ), I'm just showing how ANYTHING could be misconstrued, if folks are inclined to think negatively.

Comment

teryl missed part of her commitments to gatecon 2001 because she was playing Heimdal

amanda cancelled gabit the first time because she was taping

Ah, but that was for their main show, Gate, wasn't it.

Hey, I used to work in Hollywood, I understand that actors have jobs that sort of pop up and require them to go somewhere asap.

What I'm irritated at is that he pooped out of a gate con to go to an off-gate thing-- the gaters are the ones that made him, and he just drops them off to do whatever.

I just find it.... well, quite frankly, as I said, I find it arrogant.

maddy

Comment

[QUOTE=ShadowMaat] Corin is never again setting foot on Stargate. Whatever happened, he's permanently blackballed, despite the placating BS TPTB occasionally spout.

Shanks coming back for S10 is about as sure as the stargate coming back for S10- it's an unquestionable certainty, as far as I'm concerned.

Will add to all the commentary about how actors cancel con appearances all the time- even at the last minute. Sometimes they don't know exactly when they're going to be needed on a set and if they're committed to work then they can't very well say, "Sorry, guys, I have to go to a convention instead." Not just because of the money, either. Shooting schedules can't always be flexible and in this case, to toss it all out the window for a guest star... frankly I think it'd have sounded a lot more prima donna if he HAD bailed on CSI to do the con. Screw up production of a show so that he can go and get his ego fed by his adoring fans?

QUOTE]

I am not saying I loved Corin, what I'm saying is that it seems as tho he was kicked off just because Michael wanted to come back. Where did you hear he was blackballed? Not questioning the accuracy, just curious. Why would they bring him back for s7 if blackballed? Seems to me like they just dropped Corin because Michael wanted his seat back.

As far as season 10 and whether or not Michael will be back, I do expect he will, but I also expect he'll demand a price hike and the show has gone so downhill I don't think that's really worth a tenth season. He'll probably demand top billing or something before he comes back... he's already got a special "and Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson,"... Amanda and Chris don't have that, do they?

I do see your point on the convention, my take on it however is that the fans made him. To bail on his fans of stargate to go do an unrelated show on the 11th hour is really to say that his fans are less important than whatever cool new project he has. I think sometimes celebrities forget that it's the fans that made them, and they just drop them like that to go and do something completely unrelated to his previous committment. At least if it was filming for Gate or something that would be a little different, but to just go off because he has a chance to be on a popular tv show....

maddy

Comment

re: Corin- like I said, I don't know what happened, but it's obvious he'll never be back. His appearance in S7 was just to fulfill his contract.

re: bailing on fans- So you'd prefer that the actors do absolutely nothing that isn't Stargate? Stargate made them so that's the only show they should ever be on?

No, I know that isn't what your saying, but my point is... actors have to work. That means that sometimes they work on things OTHER than their main job, particularly when it's in that show's downtime. That means that sometimes they have to "bail" on their fans in order to keep up with their work-related commitments. It might suck, but that's life. Especially in Hollywood.

Comment

Working...
                                X