Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Doctor Who is the oldest Sci-Fi, its had hundreds of episodes and about 20 seasons, plus a new one in February, with the tenth actor to play the title role, David Tennant

dr. who was on the air for 27 years

here's a link
    http://www.tv.com/doctor-who/show/35...html&season=25

but not 27 seasons. a season of television usually consists of anywhere between 22-25 episodes on network television abc, fox , nbc, etc...

On cable (HBO, fx, usa, etc...) a show usally has between 13-18 episodes

Dr. who had years when it only ran three episodes

3 episodes does not a season make, its more like a minisereies

dr. who was more like a returning minisereies than a telivision show. it had massive cast changes and some years bare little resemble to other years.

dr. who did not run for hundreds of episodes it ran for somewhere in the area of 180 episodes i am not sure of the exact number but i do know that several scifi shows like stargate SG-1 and the x-files have produced a higher number of episodes

Comment

Originally posted by 24nolf
      Actually Doctor Who is the oldest Sci-Fi, its had hundreds of episodes and about 20 seasons, plus a new one in February, with the tenth actor to play the title role, David Tennant

dr. who was on the air for 27 years

here's a link
      http://www.tv.com/doctor-who/show/35...html&season=25

but not 27 seasons. a season of television usually consists of anywhere between 22-25 episodes on network television abc, fox , nbc, etc...

On cable (HBO, fx, usa, etc...) a show usally has between 13-18 episodes

Dr. who had years when it only ran three episodes

3 episodes does not a season make, its more like a minisereies

dr. who was more like a returning minisereies than a telivision show. it had massive cast changes and some years bare little resemble to other years.

dr. who did not run for hundreds of episodes it ran for somewhere in the area of 180 episodes i am not sure of the exact number but i do know that several scifi shows like stargate SG-1 and the x-files have produced a higher number of episodes
      The classic Doctor Who series produced 159 stories, consisting of multiple episodes (I counted 701).

The new series has aired 13 episodes, with two more christmas specials and 13 episode seasons promised.

Classic Doctor Who holds the longest running science fiction series title.
      The X-Files holds the longest running American science fiction series title.

The Star Trek franchise holds the title for most episodes, but the Doctor Who franchise will probably beat it out.

The Star Trek franchise holds the title for longest running minutes, and the Doctor Who franchise will probably never catch up because most of the classic series episodes were 25 minutes whereas Star Trek has consistently been 45 minutes episodes.
      Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 02 October 2005, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I think there will be a season 10, just not with Amanda Tapping. I hate to say it but I think the first couple of shows were more humorous than when Amanda came back. The fighting between Daniel and Vala was very amusing.
        So I think they bring back Claudia to replace Amanda as a regular, but they bring back Amanda for four or five episodes.

Comment

Why would she have to leave? Who ever said an Sg-team had to have only four team members to it? If Vala does join the cast, there is no reason why Carter would have to go.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            Why would she have to leave? Who ever said an Sg-team had to have only four team members to it? If Vala does join the cast, there is no reason why Carter would have to go.
            Within the canon of the Stargate universe...no one did.

Within the budget of the television series, Joe Mallozzi did in a recent response to a question about Jonas' departure from the series.

If money is the reason, then it'll remain a four-person team, but frankly, I don't think it's written in stone and I took that statement with a grain of salt to begin with.

If Vala has enough support and TPTB think she'll boost the ratings, she'll be back in some capacity for Season 10.

Comment

I, too, wonder about Carter in Season 10. I suspect that Vala was introduced to provide a possible backup for Carter.

TPTB has learned that replacing a character is difficult, but a gradual shift may cause less friction. Carter and Vala are so different that it prevents much of the Daniel or Jonas feuding while giving the writers a plan B should an actor or actress decide not to return.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Personally, I don't think that many people would take kindly to having Carter replace by Vala. Although she's a great character, she's not Carter (not an astrophysics Ph.D, but better sense of humor). I would like to see more of Vala, and I look forward to seeing her at the end of the current season. At the same time, I don't want her to come in and replace Carter, because Carter adds that military braniac that Vala could never replace.
                -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

well im all for a season 10, as long as the writing is good and plots match up with what we know and love. however as far as sam leaving, the writing is already on the wall, shes just had a baby, so what do you think? as far as vala taking that spot possible, but here again as long as its written well i havent got a problem with it, that has been my main problem with the first part of season 9 it appears to be written hastily, but i give em props it doesnt completly suck, i dont know that i coulda pulled that out as fast as they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Kralizec
                    Personally, I don't think that many people would take kindly to having Carter replace by Vala. Although she's a great character, she's not Carter (not an astrophysics Ph.D, but better sense of humor). I would like to see more of Vala, and I look forward to seeing her at the end of the current season. At the same time, I don't want her to come in and replace Carter, because Carter adds that military braniac that Vala could never replace.
                    I'm not saying that Vala could replace Carter's role on the team, but TPTB have already shown us that SG-1 can include Vala and be successful. Given that the writers are getting used to actors having lives and reasons to want other things at times, they are keeping Vala as an option in case of Season 10.

If Carter stays, Vala will become the new Jacob and appear in a finite number of episodes, but if the actress playing Carter chooses to leave the show, the proto SG-1 of early Season 9 will return for Season 10.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere the writers had material to go to 13 seasons.

Comment

Here's to many more seasons of SG-1!!! Yes, I think there will definitely be a season 10. I do not think SGA and BSG would be as successful without SG1 as the opener. Actually, I stopped watching BSG a couple of weeks ago. It has lost my interest.

As far as AT leaving the show, I certainly hope not! Carter is very important to SG1, and without her, SG1 loses a lot of brainpower. I may not think Carter should be leading SG1, but she is such an integral part of SG1 that her loss would be really difficult to bear. I understand she may want to leave someday, but I hope its not until season 20 rather than season 10!! However, I would love to see more of Vala! I really got a kick out of her!
                        Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

I don't want Amanda to leave either, but to me it appears there isn't much depth to her character, kind of like when Daniel became bland a couple of yeears ago. Just writing a spot for her to keep her isn't good also, I hope they can give her some depth and interest. I know she just came back and the second half hasn;t been on yet, I'm just hoping.
                          It would be great if Vala could be in more shows like the character of Jacob has been. I also hope they give Mitchel more depth as well as Teal'c it would make season 10 outstanding.

Comment

I think the perfect season 10, for me anyways, would be the four Sg-1 members we have now, and Vala in about a fourth or third of the episodes. She could really play a role if this whole Lucian Alliance thing turns out to be more than just a temporary sub-story. Sg-1 could use her "talents".
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                              I think the perfect season 10, for me anyways, would be the four Sg-1 members we have now, and Vala in about a fourth or third of the episodes. She could really play a role if this whole Lucian Alliance thing turns out to be more than just a temporary sub-story. Sg-1 could use her "talents".

That's how I see it too. I like Sam, Mitchell, Daniel, and Teal'c as the SG1 team (it makes sense to me to have two military, one civilian, one alien), and then have Vala as recurring at times as you say.

I hope, like others, that AT will continue for as many seasons as SG1 lasts!!

Comment

I agree there. We don't need to lose anyone else, at least not yet. It would be too soon after RDA's departure.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X