No announcement yet.

Politics (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great episode, even if I usually detest bureaucrats. Kinsey's a worm!
    sigpic

Comment

I have a real love-hate of this episode. It's a good summary of the season leading into the end season arc, but omfg Kinsey is such a toss. If there's anything that gets my blood boiling is that over-the-top patriotic religiousity...and I'm glad the SG producers didn't go along with it.

I like Jack's reaction to it lol

Comment

The worst episode ever. Why would anyone think we wanted to watch extended replays of episodes from the very same season?

I have to say that if I had been there, I would have been in complete agreement with the senator:

1. How could Congress allow something so expensive and so speculative to be completely secret and fully funded?

2. How could the senator be expected to believe the story of one man, Jackson, to verify the extent of the Gaould threat?

3. How could the senator be persuaded by people who were so constantly rude to him and dismissive of his questions and concerns? The phrase "with respect, sir" almost always preceded a rebuke or an insult, not a presentation of calm and logical argument.

As a viewer of course, I was rooting for Stargate Command.

I was bothered however by the show's portrayal of the Gaould threat: why is it, as the senator pointed out so well, that the Gaould are considered an unstoppable threat when a mere hand-held ground-to-air missile could destroy a superduper deathstriker? And bullets can obviously kill Jaffar. I think the producers, directors and script-writers should have shown more consistency in these matters.

Or I simply do not understand all the information about the Gaould thus far.

Edit: Now that I have seen the second season's premiere, I can see how this story sets up the epic, but this episode itself is still very poorly done. Not a story to watch more than once.
        Last edited by Tallifer; 10 September 2010, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Don't have much to say except that it's the worst episode of the first season, if not the series. I totally agree that it was necessary to demonstrate another point of view on the StarGate program, that'd be different from the heroic one we saw before, but I think it could have been done without a clip episode.

Kinsey is for sure a character you love to hate and you want to do unspeakable on a PG-forum things to him, but that all is thanks to the brilliant work of the actor. You see Kinsey stupid, stubborn, selfish and actually pranking on SG-1 and Hammond as he and Samuels, who's also a slippery worm, already made a decision on the SG fate.

The clips make you falling asleep, but scenes in between were well played actually, with all cast showing their actor skill. I especially loved Jack's "garage sale" and "car wash" lines, Hammond's "that's how I look when I'm not laughing" and simply their behaviour during the episode. Teal'C was also brilliant when Kinsey said that the freedom of his people is none of his (Kinsey) business. When I was watching this for the first time, I thought Teal'C is going to kill Kinsey!

So, to cut the long story short, this episode is a total crap as a standalone one, but in the four episode arc it's even re-watchable.

4/10.
          Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
            Spoiler:
            im sure nobody was upset when kinsey died
            Spoiler:
            We're not sure he is dead... but yeah, I guess you're right for the most part.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

1/10

I can only guess that the show went over budget and needed to save money here in order to have a decent finale. Way too much time dedicated to past clips and an unbelievable standoff with a lone senator.
              Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

While watching this episode, all I think was....Can somebody punch Samuels and Kinsey. omg how I hate them.
                sigpic
                Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

I think we needed to see that their 'antics' had opposition. After bringing threats from other worlds through to Earth it would be nieve to think someone would not think that would cause a decent threat to Earth. Then the clips, reminded us of some of the things they'd been through, (perhaps as a comparision to the motherships? Idk.).

for the record -I am under the impression that kinsey had a political agenda the whole time he was on t show.
                  Last edited by Lunaeclipse; 16 July 2011, 03:43 PM.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Kinsey made such a great adversary for our SGC team.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Kinsey made such a great adversary for our SGC team.
                      I thought he made the end of the series much more enjoyable to watch because he was such a wonderful bastard. The character was played incredibly well (I'd expect nothing less from Dick Jones, Vice-President of OCP) and made SG1's motive behind their actions in the finale much more believable.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Kinsey was very well played.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The only thing i had against this ep, was why did they need to do a 'clip' show to reshow what had just gone on in ONE season?

Comment

What bothers me most about the clips in this episode is that they are HUGE chunks of the previous shows. At the beginning of each episode they show a "previously on Stargate SG-1" segment. This segment contains short reminders of what happened previously instead of huge chunks. This is what any clip show should be as well. It is meant to tie in what happened previously with what the characters are talking about. When the viewer feels they are watching the previous episode it takes them out of the current one. This was an editing fail.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              The only thing i had against this ep, was why did they need to do a 'clip' show to reshow what had just gone on in ONE season?
                              dramatic build up?

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                              "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                              a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                It's an easy way to save money for future episodes. The sets for example would have been very expensive first time around (with their reuse allowing money to be saved in future episodes) so a clip show helps make that possible.

If you ever see a clip show, usually an episode or two later something expensive tends to take place. Same thing can be said for bottle shows (episodes taking place in pre-existing locations and not very expensive to make).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X