Politics (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
    I figure that Kinsey wanted the SGC shutdown so he could get a crack at it. However, he made the administration so biased against the Stargate program that I doubt he could get it up and running again.

Does anybody have any theories of how he was going to get control of it after the whole thing was shutdown.
    At first I don't think he was trying to get control of it. I reckon that it was only after 'within the serpents grasp' when it became obvious that the goa'uld really were a threat that he decided that he wanted control of the program.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      At first I don't think he was trying to get control of it. I reckon that it was only after 'within the serpents grasp' when it became obvious that the goa'uld really were a threat that he decided that he wanted control of the program.
      Wait wait wait, he didn't want control due to fear of the Goa'uld. He wanted control for the commercial applications, you have to remember he was deeply entangled with the trust. As a matter of fact it was because he didn't think there was any threat to earth, which made him think that commercial applications were the only useful thing that could come out of the program.

Thats my opinion anyways.
      sigpic

Comment

Kinsey is an ass scared of the unknown.

I wish they hadn't used up precious minutes just to flashback to previous episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
          Kinsey is an ass scared of the unknown.

I wish they hadn't used up precious minutes just to flashback to previous episodes.
          I agree he was a coward.

However, flashback episodes are meant to tie up all lose ends so people can pick up fresh when the next season begins. For a fan they are pretty much useless but for the large majority of casual viewers it can be extremely helpful.
          Last edited by captain jake; 27 June 2008, 06:22 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
            However, flashback episodes are meant to tie up all lose ends so people can pick up fresh when the next season begins. For a fan they are pretty much useless but for the large majority of casual viewers it can be extremely helpful.
            Unlike most people, I don't really have a problem with clip shows. In fact, I often enjoy them- and "Politics" is actually a nice, solid episode.

Great moment: Daniel tells Kinsey that the Goa'uld are coming in ships. Kinsey then says that they'll regret taking on the United States military.
            Always amusing.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

I agree on the need for clip shows for your average TV viewers.

Personally, I do feel kind of cheated since I bought the season 1 box set.

However, there are plenty of good moments in this ep. All the non-clipshow scenes, are IMO, well done and acted. I particulary like the "virus" line from Daniel and Jack's reaction to being engaged in the alternate reality. Also, the Kinsey character was protrayed as intended. Which I assume to make people hate him. And I really, really despised him. I hope he gets what's coming! (Don't spoil it for me).

Comment

Originally posted by Chezlee View Post
                I think that Kinsey presented a real adverse persepective to the Stargate. It is dangerous, and it costs money. Theres a thread out there that discusses what would happen if the stargate were real and I think that a lot of people would have a problem with it because they don't care what is out there all they are concerned with is the here and now and what will effect that status quo in the near future, and 7 billion dollar program that coule potentially wipe out the earth is one of those threats.

Although I dislike clipshow episodes that SG1 seems to have so many of, this episode did serve a purpose in presenting a point of view outside the SGC and Kinsey did play the "Devil's Advocate" very well, and even though he was acting in his best interest as politicians often do, I think it was a good move for the writers to introduce him as an antagonist.

I am not saying I agreed with what he said about the Stargate, I just think it was necessary for it to be said. Besides he get it put to him when SG1 saves the Earth anyway
                These are all very good points and I agree. Both sides, IMO, gave good arguments.

It is true that there were instances when the planet was in danger because of what SG1 did. But since this is a TV show, they always solve the problem. In real life, this wont happen. However, despite the risk, I don't agree that the program should be shut down. There are pros and cons to everything and I think this ep showed this sufficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                  These are all very good points and I agree. Both sides, IMO, gave good arguments.

It is true that there were instances when the planet was in danger because of what SG1 did. But since this is a TV show, they always solve the problem. In real life, this wont happen. However, despite the risk, I don't agree that the program should be shut down. There are pros and cons to everything and I think this ep showed this sufficiently.
                  In my opinion the Stargate is more than a means to obtaining technology. It's about exploration and the advancement of the human species on Earth. I believe that it was the fate of humans to become the saviors of displaced humans and Jaffa all over the galaxy. No matter what Kinsey or anybody else in the government tries to do, fate will always put things back in place.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow! Besides the flashbacks of this episode (since I'm on a re-watch it wasn't long ago that I since watched the episode) but I like someone said here I do understand why they did it and it did help to create a great episode and set-up the season finale.

Funny how Jack was interested about him and Sam getting engaged and all he could say was it was against regulations, then he had that look like he was thinking about it for a second.

No wonder I never liked Kinsey he was annoying from the start.

I agree once again with captain jake (we seem to have similar thoughts) that the Stargate program is essential for earth to take our rightful place in the galaxy. After all space is one of the last great frontiers.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
                      Funny how Jack was interested about him and Sam getting engaged and all he could say was it was against regulations, then he had that look like he was thinking about it for a second.

No wonder I never liked Kinsey he was annoying from the start.
                      Saw parts of this the other day. Jack was hilarious... nothing about how he wasn't interested etc ... just against regulations!! I miss Jack so much

I vaguely recall warming to him a little for some unfathomable reason, but having watched it again, I hate him more than ever!!!

sigpic

Comment

Yes! I think this was a vital episode not only to get us from the previous ep into the following 2, but I think Kinsey was needed to expand the SGC's world into the real world & intro some very possible problems that could come from the government. I think it'd be idiotic to assume everyone outside the SGC who knows of it's existance would worship them as the saviors of the world. As far as not liking Sen. Kinsey??? OMG!!! I want to slap him & have him drawn & quartered more than most of the Goa'uld. Ronny Cox is an extremely nice person & I think all the hate directed towards his character is a major compliment to his acting. I think he'd be proud. Clip shows can be a bit Zzzzzz but on the whole I think SG1 has done better than most series I've watched as far as that & if saving a few $$$ lets them go all out when they want to do a really good episode? It's fine by me & they did do some spendy space scenes when Apophis attacked earth. Maybe thats where the saved $$ went

Comment

Originally posted by SG1FanOregon View Post
                          Yes! I think this was a vital episode not only to get us from the previous ep into the following 2, but I think Kinsey was needed to expand the SGC's world into the real world & intro some very possible problems that could come from the government. I think it'd be idiotic to assume everyone outside the SGC who knows of it's existance would worship them as the saviors of the world. As far as not liking Sen. Kinsey??? OMG!!! I want to slap him & have him drawn & quartered more than most of the Goa'uld. Ronny Cox is an extremely nice person & I think all the hate directed towards his character is a major compliment to his acting. I think he'd be proud. Clip shows can be a bit Zzzzzz but on the whole I think SG1 has done better than most series I've watched as far as that & if saving a few $$$ lets them go all out when they want to do a really good episode? It's fine by me & they did do some spendy space scenes when Apophis attacked earth. Maybe thats where the saved $$ went
                          Just slap him and have him drawn and quartered? Ahhhhhhhh I could do better than those things.......Have him flogged first and then drawn and quartered would be sooooooooooo much better...

Comment

I love this 4-episode arc, but this is the weakest of the 4. Great filler though, for a clip episode. Teal'c being pissed and Daniel getting frustrated came through very well.

Must've been a budget thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                              Must've been a budget thing?
                              Probably. I don't see why they would otherwise do a "clip show" at this point.

Comment

That's alot of money lol.. Kenzie is soo UGH.. Any of you guys notice how bad this show makes our Government look...? Its a great show the best.. But it makes our government look bad lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X