No announcement yet.

Politics (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG Rewatch episodes: 101 - 105, 106, 107, 109, 110, 111,112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120

Politics

Commonly referred to as a 'clips' episode, this one was comprised of early scenes from the series, condensing lots of good action sequences to illustrate SG-1's previous missions. Mostly, though, this is 'bridge' episode, tying the previous one to the next one, and a well made bridge it is.

Daniel's return from the alternate universe has coincided with some dire goings-on between the SGC and the government. Here's where that oddly placed scolding from the Pentagon man (in The Nox) ties in. Although in agreement with the SGC, Washington sends its big guns down to get a first hand look at the Stargate program and the team finds itself under very unfriendly fire.

Yet another earth-side thorn for the SGC, the pompous Senator Kinsey makes his insufferable debut. Bolstered by reports from the yes-man, Col. Samuels (Sam is very unimpressed by his promotion), Kinsey is all set to dismantle the program. Samuels' sour views on the missions seemed to make Kinsey overflow with malice and self-important bluster.

I always think of this episode as most memorable for the stand-off between Jack and Kinsey. Here's the man's man of military men, Col. Jack O'Neill in dress blues and medals so numerous they take up one whole side of his chest, whose poker face is second only to Teal'c (oh, and maybe Hammond) squaring off with a politician with delusions of power.

Opposing him is someone we immediately see is a puffed-up government persona, armed with a biased opinion of a scientific and extraterrestrial operation he's only read about. Oh, and who holds the keys to the bank that funds the SGC. Kinsey presents the confidence of someone with solid support for his views and any actions he might take. This, however, doesn't include the President of the USA, who wouldn't let him pull the plug unless he saw the program in person.

Just what was Kinsey's real beef with the program? He obviously read the reports that showed the menace waiting beyond the earth's little corner of the sky, but his heart is curiously hardened toward seeking solutions. Was he blinded by his jingoism? Or was he set on scoring some kind of notch against his very independent superior, the President?

In any case, his blithe assertion that the Goa'uld couldn't be so bad if SG-1 constantly bested them really upset the team. If Samuels and Kinsey couldn't get the dire peril SG-1 went through to make it back alive, then they clearly didn't want to get it. In effect, he was telling SG-1 that they did too well in surviving so there wasn't any need to worry.

A tense episode with some very solid, if inconclusive, arguments put on the table regarding the potential harm of Stargate travel. Threats from a plague (two plagues: The Touched, and the aging nanites), and Goa'uld were hard to dispute. But they did bring back useful intel on a powerful enemy. The Goa'uld weren't gods, didn't use magic or any supernatural means to dominate other worlds. More importantly, they could be killed with the right weapon.

As the team pointed out, the Goa'uld didn't even have to send an invading army, just torch the planet from orbit. Gate travel was still the best way to find weapons to use against them. No go; Kinsey flatly bulldozes their first hand experience. Daniel then discloses his recent trip to an alternate reality and the threat coming earth's way. It’s pooh-poohed; Kinsey departs in a huff having been confronted with Jack's battle persona. And when Samuels tries to have the last word, he's thrown out by Hammond in an unusual emotional outburst.

The episode closes on the fate of the SGC - it's shut down. A touching moment when the team gazes through the control room onto the quiet Gate, their one hope of defending the planet. Sad indeed.

I remember thinking as the final scene faded: what a lunk head! A typical desk jockey with power he inevitably used the wrong way. A well done earth side conflict that had no predictable conclusion for me, except that the team would prevail somehow. Good cliffhanger.

Other stuff:
    • Daniel drops the fact that Sam and Jack were engaged in the other universe.

"Let me get this straight. Engaged?" Jack asks, indicating Sam.
      "it's theoretically possible,” Sam said, straight faced.
      ”It’s against regulations!”Jack exclaims in shock.
      ”I’m talking about the alternate reality,” Sam replied, this time a little bit self consciously.

As mentioned on the board, the timing and manner that RDA and AT play off each other is often magic. Jack looked so much like he was trying to picture such a scenario, while Sam did her best to try to skip over it. Classic play.

• Kinsey casually posits that earth could just send out fighters to knock out the Goa’uld ships.
      ”Yeah, we’ll just upload a virus into the mothership.” Daniel said dryly.

• More references to The Wizard of Oz when Daniel relates his ’trip.’
      ”And you were there, and you were there...”Jack quips as he points to each team member.

• Hammond’s outburst at Samuels was very telling. Here was a seasoned military man ready to retire until the SGC program was reopened. This would have resulted in that retirement but it didn’t please him, not this way.

Rated 3/5
    Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 19 September 2011, 08:39 PM.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
      Other stuff:
      • Daniel drops the fact that Sam and Jack were engaged in the other universe.

"Let me get this straight. Engaged?" Jack asks, indicating Sam.
        "it's theoretically possible,” Sam said, straight faced.
        ”It’s against regulations!”Jack exclaims in shock.
        ”I’m talking about the alternate reality,” Sam replied, this time a little bit self consciously.
      No, she says: "I'm talking physics, Sir." With a bit of bite, IMO.

I hate, hate, hate this episode. I never watch all of it.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Opposing him is someone we immediately see is a puffed-up government persona, armed with a biased opinion of a scientific and extraterrestrial operation he's only read about. Oh, and who holds the keys to the bank that funds the SGC. Kinsey presents the confidence of someone with solid support for his views and any actions he might take. This, however, doesn't include the President of the USA, who wouldn't let him pull the plug unless he saw the program in person.

Just what was Kinsey's real beef with the program? He obviously read the reports that showed the menace waiting beyond the earth's little corner of the sky, but his heart is curiously hardened toward seeking solutions. Was he blinded by his jingoism? Or was he set on scoring some kind of notch against his very independent superior, the President?
        I have to correct a misconception here. The President is not Kinsey's superior. They belong to constitutionally co-equal branches of the government. The President cannot order or forbid any member of Congress to do anything. As Kinsey points out, he chose to visit the SGC as a courtsey. Since the power of the purse constitutionally resides in Congress, Kinsey could have denied the funding without meeting with General Hammond and SG-1 regardless of the President's desires. So Jack was wrong. President does not outrank Senator.

Comment

Whoop! Two corrections for one post - my record!

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
          No, she says: "I'm talking physics, Sir." With a bit of bite, IMO.

I hate, hate, hate this episode. I never watch all of it.

Seaboe
          Thanks, Seaboe. I tend to paraphrase but nothing nails it like the exact words. And oh, yeah, Sam shot that one back at him!

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          I have to correct a misconception here. The President is not Kinsey's superior. They belong to constitutionally co-equal branches of the government. The President cannot order or forbid any member of Congress to do anything. As Kinsey points out, he chose to visit the SGC as a courtsey. Since the power of the purse constitutionally resides in Congress, Kinsey could have denied the funding without meeting with General Hammond and SG-1 regardless of the President's desires. So Jack was wrong. President does not outrank Senator.
          Nicely said, thanks, hlndncr. However, this episode is called Politics, and that's what's at play here. Constitutionally he may be considered part of the co-equal branch but practically, government is a tit-for-tat operation; one where hardline or soft fall outside the frames. Kinsey said the President asked him to see the SGC before deciding, but who knows what was at stake for Kinsey if he denied such a simple - nay, reasonable - request? On one hand, Kinsey was showing good face by taking on this trip; on the other, he was trying to get his way, IMO.

Jack's a military man. He accepts that it's the President who's Commander-in-Chief, not a senator. A lesson in politics and government for him, however: politics often gets in the way of the common good.

"How does a man like that get that kind of power?" Jack asked angrily.

"The Constitution of these United States," Hammond answered solemnly. To which Jack grudgingly agreed. Not with Kinsey's brick-headed stance, however. It's almost a shame that I know just how ambitious this man will show himself to be!

I agree with your statement. I also think that Jack had the popular perception that the president is THE man, and Congress has its place behind him. A touch of naivete on Jack's part, apparently believing that worthy men should have Kinsey's power. Anyone who can utter words like
          • "That which grows in the shadows but withers in the light of day, does not belong on the vine."

with a straight face didn't fit Jack's idea of responsible authority! (Cox created a memorable semi-villain for the team. Kudos to him.)

PS: hlndncr, don't know why the board won't let me green you (since yesterday, too) but I tried. This will do for now:
          Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 20 September 2011, 10:48 AM.
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

(Cox created a memorable semi-villain for the team. Kudos to him.)
            I totally agree! I love to hate Kinsey.
            Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Full review here...

I thought this was a pretty decent episode. It served its purpose well and Kinsey just makes me want to punt kittens -- or maybe punt him. Actually, I won't punt anything. I'll get Alex Henery or Brett Maher, the current kicker for the Nebraska Huskers, to do it. In fact, I think Brett Maher is in my residence hall. I'm going to find his door and order him to-

Oh, wait, this is about Stargate, not Husker Football. My bad.

I'm pretty sure nothing too bad is going to happen, but I'm really excited for the season finale nonetheless. What a cliffhanger so far!
              Interesting insight into Teal'c, with his request to return to Chulak at the end. I'd like to think he's grown close to SG-1 (in fact, I'm almost positive he has) but he's a very purpose-driven individual.
              Also, more development on Hammond.. that was nice. He certainly seems caught between what he feels and knows is right and what he is ordered to do. Looking forward to seeing more reactions from him and the rest of SG-1 (and all the other SG teams for that matter) in the finale.

Comment

Eh, watching this all in quick sequence, this episode comes off as weak and unnecessary. Clipshow/10.
                http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4574/dontblinkgc5.jpg

Comment

There is more to this than clips... It's also a springboard and a few other things...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

The stuff involving Kinsey and the potential shut down of Stargate(which I don't think is actually resolved, I think it just goes away at the end of the arc) could have been done in a non-clipshow way to make them seem more important.
                    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4574/dontblinkgc5.jpg

Comment

I hate those politic people, grrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimes View Post
                        I hate those politic people, grrrr.
                        I so totally agree they are trying to ruin the SGC
                        sigpic

You got nothing on my smileys

Comment

I'm not a big fan of clip shows but this one served its purpose pretty well.

I wish they would give Kinsey a bit more of a personality or whatever. He does seem, based on this ep, to have some integrety. He absolutely wanted to close the SGC and to be honest they didn't really convince me that it should stay open, so to convince him... But he had promised the prez that he would listen to the arguments so he did.

Jack was completely insubordinate in a way he hates when junior ranks do to him, although I do admire his passion.
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Oh this ep set me on edge and ticked me off. That senator.....wanna just reach out and slap him silly. And also, I don't enjoy clip shows so it was a double whammy for me. I only endured it so I could see the plot advancement, but it was quite painful.

Comment

I'm not particularly a fan of clipshows, however Politics didn't really bother me that much. Of course, Kinsey should be thrown into a wormhole that leads no where... I applaud Jack's restraint not to shoot him on sight.

Even though it's a clipshow, it is a good set-up to the season finale... I'll give it that.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Like I've said before, not that brilliant epsiode, but it was good when put together with other 4 in the arc, and it was also quite good for me on the first view, because I began watching SG-1 from The First Commandment and had no idea what the heck Jaffa is doing on the team until I saw the Politics episode... After first view though, it makes your best sleeping pill...
                                Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X