Tin Man (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
    This is a one for me I usually skip. The Comtraya dude is just too much for me. Teehee.
    LMAO yea he is a bit too much.
    But this is still a really great eppy. I mean I LOVE their outfits when they wake up.
    sigpic
    My tumblr

Comment

Nice episode, a lonely robot trying to keep a futile system alive, gets a litle help . Interesting premise
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting take on consciousness transfer and robots in general. But Harlan was rather annoying...
        sigpic

Comment

Harlen was so annoying character ... but whole ep has a good idea ...
          The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable...
          sigpic

Comment

This was a tragic story. (Although the tragedy was spoiled by the goofiness of the alien Harlan.)

On first viewing it, I was irritated that SG-1 so qucikly rejected the possibilities of using the new technology. But of course, it would be almost impossible to maintain the beliveable immediacy of contemporary Americans in a space opera if the Stargate Command were able to adopt all the useful technologies found on the distant planets. It would transform earth's society into Star Trek and would detract from much fo the special appeal of this show.

Comment

One of the best episodes of the first season, in my opinion. And quite different from others, giving a completely different perspective of the show. And I'll agree - the story they told was a tragic one.

The bunker theme itself was strange enough to see. Always wandered where it was shot.

Harlan was annoying guy right since his first appearance, but only until you see Urgo. Then Harlan seems nice and appealing during re-watches. Team's costumes were somewhat silly, but it was funny to see SG-1 not in their uniforms, or when Harlan points at Carter and states that she's a female, not saying about the fun when Jack translated millions of hours into years. It's hard to say who was surprised more by that and that he did it correct - Jack himself or others.

When on Earth Jack rushed to cut his forearm open - that actually detracted from the episode. Even if I'd not have hearbeat and if my blood was changed onto some oil, I still wouldn't try doing this, as I'd not put my life at risk of doing this. He wasn't a T-800 and knew not like him that he was a machine before doing that.

Back on the planet Harlan nearly got killed by O'Neill, but I understand both - SG-1 was shocked, the alien was desperate. And these malfunctions that followed just proved that he couldn't keep that station running alone any longer. Daniel was thinking it's all fascinating, Sam wasn't sure what to think, but when she finally saw real one she got fascinated too. Jack was desperate and Teal'c malfunctioned. And the fight between two latters finally led to the solution of the puzzle. Oh, and I just realised that the second copy, the one with only one mind inside, without stronger Goa'uld mind sharing its brain to take over the control of its body, was technically the first free Jaffa.

It seemed that the real team spent some time with Harlan before getting on those holding things and agreed on his plan or whatever he told them, though they probably got surprised when he shackled them as they didn't rush to beat the crap out of him and Jack asked Harlan where he was for so long. On the other hand, he would just put them on them while they were unconscious after his attack and talk to them afterwards, what seems the most possible thing.

Of course, at the end, when the whole story is visible its tragedy is apparent, but during the course of episode it's more tragedy of doomed Earthlings, rather than Altair race, represented now by Harlan only, who is more than desperate in searching the ways to survive and keep that little legacy of his race in a decent shape. Jack thought about sending bomb to make sure the gate was buried? But he knew that his alternate as well as others will sooner let themselves disassembled than yield some secrets. Harlen himself wasn't that dangerous, if not dangerous at all. What I can't get at all is why real SG-1 didn't fetch some of those disintegrating pistols as a payment for their trouble before going home?

And of course stupidity of the translators is overwhelming again... Did you know that "Tin Man" means "Immortal Tinned Food"?

8/10
              Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 14 October 2010, 03:05 AM.
              Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

I liked Harlan.. he was funny...
                Spoiler:

I think the eventual death
                of these characters was a bit lame .. .They could have had a more convincing
                Spoiler:
                death....

I like the issues raised in it - which is really the original? Is it moral to clone? Are cloned androids moral? In the circumstances it is moral not to do so? Was Harlan justified? Should "comtrya" become the international word for "hello"/"welcome"?

I spoiler, knowing I don't have to, but doing so for viewers who have not seen beyond this episode .

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                  Should "comtrya" become the international word for "hello"/"welcome"?
                  No, thank you.
                  Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Missed that question yesterday:

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
                    I like the issues raised in it - which is really the original? Is it moral to clone? Are cloned androids moral? In the circumstances it is moral not to do so? Was Harlan justified? Should "comtrya" become the international word for "hello"/"welcome"?
                    Both teams consider themselves original until they meet each other, when androids realise that humans are still original, no matter how do they (androids) feel. I think it's moral to clone in circumstances like this and cloned androids are obviously moral as they've the same consciousness that SG-1 does. And Harlan was more than justified as he was the only survivior for more than 11000 years. If you were him, wouldn't you do anything that you're capable of doing to survive and thus keep your race alive?

sigpic

Comment

I'd give this episode a 6/10.

I didn't feel much sympathy for the copies for whatever reason.
                      Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

COMTRAYA!!!!

good episode...imagine multiple SG-1's n the possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
                          This is a one for me I usually skip. The Comtraya dude is just too much for me. Teehee.
                          Oh, man, was he annoying
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond Serpent View Post
                            Missed that question yesterday:

Both teams consider themselves original until they meet each other, when androids realise that humans are still original, no matter how do they (androids) feel. I think it's moral to clone in circumstances like this and cloned androids are obviously moral as they've the same consciousness that SG-1 does. And Harlan was more than justified as he was the only survivior for more than 11000 years. If you were him, wouldn't you do anything that you're capable of doing to survive and thus keep your race alive?
                            why not copy himself? does not excuse his annoyance
                            sigpic

Comment

This ep puts me to sleep don't know why
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                                This ep puts me to sleep don't know why
                                Because it's character driven and doesn't involve lots of action?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X