• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot is Mars? It's red, right?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
      Hats, if they wore Hats they would die slower.

But I disagree. They were coming from a HOT planet (evidence: The planet was reddish), the hats probably had built in cooling!
      Well, working as hard as they were on chopping the ice, they might not have felt cold at first. But they should have known basic hypothermia prevention.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
        This is my all time favorite SG-1 episode.

It's a team episode, all though the team is working in two separate components.

And we learn so much about Jack in this episode.

Nice touches of humor, some great background, and some nice foreshadowing for the seasons to come.

Morjana
        My sentiments exactly. Even though you know it has to work out in the end, you can feel the desperation of everyone. I felt that we got to learn a lot about all the characters, a crisis always gives great character insights. The interaction with Sam and Jack was very touching (whether you're a shipper or not), as was Daniel and Teal'c working so hard to get their friends back. And to top it off, this episode gave us some of the classic Stargate quotes!
        "It's my sidearm I swear"
        "What happens when you dial your own phone number? Wrong person to ask."
        -Not to mention one of my favorite outtakes-
        "I'm trapped on an iceberg with MacGyver!"
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Daniel: Oh! You see?
        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Definetely one of my favorites.

I would think that if you couldn't dial Earth, you'd want to dial anywhere that was warmer. My only focus would be to get warmer.

The busy signal line was cool though.
          Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
            ...still love Jack's line : “It’s my sidearm, I swear…” and Sam's giggles afterward. (That whole piece seemed very natural and more like adlib than scripted, wonder how much was/wasn't....)
            Your apparently weird thought processes aside...I know I'd've been laughing if I had to deliver that dialogue on camera!

Comment

Just re-watched this one - definitley one of the best SG-1 episodes of all time. I've been re-watching a lot of season 1 lately, and most aren't that good. But Solitudes is just amazing. It might even be in the top 10 epsidoes of the whole series.

Comment

lol...this was a good one, nice to see hammond off site for once... the best part in the episode was

Sam: "Sir!"
                Jack: "I'ts my side arm, i swear"
                "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

Originally posted by kelmah
                  The "sidearm" comment has fuelled many a fanfic.
                  I know. But it pretty much had to have been a sidearm, if you think about it. I mean, he's in the process of freezing to death, with at least one broken bone that's been improperly set and who knows how many other problems. Plus he's tired and hungry. Under the circumstances, I doubt he'd have been aroused by Mary Steenburgen (this is Jack, after all) doing a striptease right in front of him.
                  My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                  -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                  -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                  -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                    That's the main thing that bothered me about this episode !
                    I know Jack had several serious injuries,...but at least he had the sense to keep his head warm at all costs !!
                    I mean,if Sam had been following basic survival training,she'd have kept her helmet on.
                    (I'm assuming that the helmet was fully lined,btw.No sense in keeping it on, if there was no insulation against the extreme cold .)

Conclusion:The Director made her do it !
                    Reality aside ( ), it would have been more difficult to connect with Sam had the hat been hiding her face. 'Solitudes' is an emotional episode, and the hat would have either been in the way of or cast a shadow over AT's visage, effectively emotionally removing her off from the audience.

Comment

Just saw this episode again on Sky One last night (or was it the night before that? Can't quite remember....) Anyway, I really like this episode and it's probably one of my favourites from the earlier seasons. I loved Daniel in this episode for some reason....

Comment

Originally posted by .:Lemon:.
                        I loved Daniel in this episode for some reason....
                        I second that, Lemon! I mean, I always love Daniel, but this is the episode that made me fall in love with him! It's a wonderful episode in itself as well, and I always refer to it when people try to say that the whole Jack & Sam thing started only recently.
                        Last edited by 1DanielForMe; 08 August 2005, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I've always really liked this episode. Not sure why it's one of my favorites... no Jaffa, no enemy, no firefights, not even a view of another planet. (And no, I'm not exactly a 'shipper, so it's not the Carter/O'Neill cuddle that gets me.) It's just the genuine loyalty and heartfelt emotion that bonds the team that I like. Carter feels so helpless and guilty when she can't get the gate dialed. And Teal'c and Daniel would rather cut their arms off than give up looking.

Just a really good episode.

(And for the poster who asked about the gate 'kawoosh,' It sure looks like it should whoosh the other way (away from the DHD), but that's not where they landed. Just one of those little details that got away from the producers....)
                          Last edited by jyh; 11 August 2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                            And of course the great Jack one-liner about his sidearm! I do like this episode. Carter working so hard to chip away ice from the DHD while trying to keep the Colonel alive - overall grace under extreme pressure. However, when she emerges and looks across the snowfield, she assumes they're on an ice planet. Now, how many times has the team made an assumption about an entire planet based on the location of or people around the gate itself?
                            Nmom

This bothered me too, about Carter writing off the planet as "an ice planet." You'd think that living here on earth, which has deserts, rain forests, and glaciers, we would know better.

However, in her defense, think about Carter's dilemma. Even if the whole planet isn't ice, it definitely IS frozen "as far as the eye can see." How far would she have to go to find any sort of civilzation. And in which direction? She might as well kill Jack herself as try to find help.

Still, this little, minute detail doesn't detract in the least from the quality of this episode.

Comment

This is one of those episodes you watch and think, "how can anyone not like that. How can anyone say Stargate is just fluff sci-fi.". This was just a really really good ep. Mind you I am not a shipper either, infact I could almost be an anti-shipper as I beleive the military regs should be followed. However, in the context of this ep, I thought the relationship between the characters was played out perfectly. I just dont know how anyone can see that ep and not consider Stargate a wonderful show.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

It always bugs me when people say that Stargate's only fluff. It has a certain levity, certainly, but there are also episodes--'Meridian', 'Abyss', 'Orpheus', 'Grace', 'Heroes', and 'Singularity', 'Forever in a Day', 'Solitudes' for starters--that are heartwrenching. It's not BSG-style edginess, but it's also not Tripping the Rift's, erm, irreverence, not by a long shot; more of a comfortable balance between the two. Pity so many critics and casual viewers tend to miss that.

Comment

Working...
                                X