No announcement yet.

Fire and Water (112)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a 'grower' ep. 3 things that make it stand out as SG1 ep and not a generic scifi Trekesque one.
    1) Beautifully done full-dress send off with real Honour Guard. V moving
    2) Team stff. yay!
    3) Wake -- Jack hockey scene where he busts Hammond's car window. Hammond all father figure.
    4) Spot on mythology -- I have a friend who teaches this stuff & he was seriously imptressed. more of this and less rehashing the same old dodgy egyptology bumpf!
    5) great makeup for Nem.
    6) touching but no Cheese

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
      So, is this the only funeral poor Daniel ever got? But I have to say I loved this episode. Shallow reasons aside (wet, vulnerable Daniel *happy sigh*) Team angst was great too. And yeah, I could almost see Jack crying in this one. Sam in shock, Teal'c too...yeah, that was great stuff, great team bonding.

What I didn't get was that in the begining, Nem threatened to kill Daniel. Then told him he couldn't leave. Then refused to use the memory device thingie cuz it might damage Daniel. So I had to wonder, what, was he going to keep Daniel around as a pet or something, for company? Daniel had to beg him to use that memory device thingie (of course, right away he told him to stop cuz it hurt so dang much) but Nem decided to turn up the volume, so to speak...so much for caring about doing damage to Daniel. So, I thought it was a bit inconsistant. Makes me wonder what they cut out of this one.
      I don't necessarily think anything was cut. I think Nem was obsessed with finding his wife, and didn't really think of Daniel as anything other than a means to an end at first. But then he and Daniel started talking, and he saw the similarities between them, and started having second thoughts. I mean, Omarocca had been gone a _long_ time. And we don't know how long it had been since Nem had had contact with anyone else. He was a decent guy under everything, and it's a lot harder to do nasty things (such as that mind probe) to someone after you've gotten to know them a little than if you just see them as a means to an end.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I dont remember this but did Nem ever mention any other of his race. The only other one i ever remembet him talking about was Omarocca. So is there any other of his kind or is he the last?

Comment

SmartFox, according to the summary he was the last of his kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
            I don't necessarily think anything was cut. I think Nem was obsessed with finding his wife, and didn't really think of Daniel as anything other than a means to an end at first. But then he and Daniel started talking, and he saw the similarities between them, and started having second thoughts. I mean, Omarocca had been gone a _long_ time. And we don't know how long it had been since Nem had had contact with anyone else. He was a decent guy under everything, and it's a lot harder to do nasty things (such as that mind probe) to someone after you've gotten to know them a little than if you just see them as a means to an end.
            I agree, especially with that last sentence of yours (which I bolded). A good insight B.
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I love this episode- its definately one of my favourites. It's the perfect angst episode. I loved gorgeous wet vulnerable Daniel, angry shouting Daniel, and Daniel feeling sorry for his tormentor. It was also a great piece of acting from RDA - i really emphasized with him. I enjoyed pretty much every scene, but i thought the one at the wake, with Jack pouring beer into the overflowing glass and then running out was brilliantly done. I also loved the window smashing scene (I posted a cool screen capture here http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66&page=5 ), and the dialogue afterwards.
              Hammond:You know that's my car don't you?
              Jack: You should get that window fixed.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                Yeah, but he wasn't really reading Daniels mind, Daniel had to speak what he was recalling so Nem (thank you omnian for the name ) could hear what happened to his mate.
                Sure, but he could not help but think of Sha're when being questioned by this alien about his lost wife...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                  Yeah.. Juding from the little we've seen the Oannes might make good allies someday. If they ever show up again.
                  I don't think they'd make very good allies considering the fact that Nem is the last of his kind
                  Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Caught this episode again tonight, and I always quite like it each time. The team angst thinking that Daniel's dead was very well done. And that last scene on the beach was great. Gotta love RDA's adlib about sushi.
                    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                    Daniel: Oh! You see?
                    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                      that last scene on the beach was great. Gotta love RDA's adlib about sushi.
                      That was so funny when he said that!

My LJ

Comment

Okay, so here comes my little girly moment. I was watching this episode with my Mum the other day and she said that this was a really good/sad love story because here's this fish-man who has been living alone for...oh, a few thousand years at least, wondering what in the hell happened to his mate. I think it's so sad because I think he really, really loved her, but he was afraid to go back to earth to look for her because he feared the Goa'uld had taken over the Earth. Really sad, really lovely.

And Daniel is just...great in any episode. I'm surprised he could read all that cuniform writing without his glasses, though. His eyesight seems to fluctuate between really, really bad and eh, I can see well enough.
                        thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Yeah I always think that about Daniels eyesight.

I like this ep!! MS acting is immense in this, it's a really good ep for him.
                          I also love the way the team reacts (VERY nice shippy hug with Sam/Jack )
                          Smashing Hammonds window, that was hilarious!!
                          As was their comments about his funeral at the end!
                          Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Comment

this was another of the episodes i was not too fond of for only one reason: the clip with the bubles and fire and daniel yelling... left me with the chills. i thought it was pretty thought out though and i liked they squid guy (dont know his name).

lol i loved the line where sam says to daniel. "the Colonel said some nice things"
                            "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
                              So, is this the only funeral poor Daniel ever got? But I have to say I loved this episode.
                              I think so.. personally, well I guess I shouldn't type what I'm thinking since I'll probably be called something by someone who likes Jackson.

Originally posted by PugGate
                              I don't think they'd make very good allies considering the fact that Nem is the last of his kind
                              And I've still never caught when we find out he's the last.. but I could have missed something.
                              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

When I first saw this episode I thought the alien just had a really bad accent and was wondering what was up with America.

Their realization about the missing time leading to them having a return mission irked me. It just seems like something that they would've noticed pretty quickly, or come out during their debriefing.

Comment

Working...
                                X