No announcement yet.

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ep this, really shows how good Stargate can be. I'll admit I wasn't all into this one first time I saw it, thought it was sort of slow story. But I watched it again when I got the boxset and then I really started to enjoy this one. All characters were great in the ep, and I really liked Daniel and Jack in it. I truly miss the days when SG1 was more exploring, episodes like this is what I miss. "Meaning of life stuff"!

Those two buildings/city shown in those screenshots, they do look a bit similar. Could be that the Nox build that place.

Comment

Originally posted by MiniHerc View Post
      Yes i just watched that episode last night and when i was watching catherine's father and ernest talking... i was thinking "hold on a sec, that's beckett" funny stuff i say.

The one thing that gets me about the actor recruited to play the old ernest is that he doesn't look much like Paul Mcgillon (compensating for aging and balding of course).

But still i find the whole thing funny.

As well, i'm not sure if it's just me or did i see the guy who played Mirdyn on the atlantean council/Merlin also play the leader of the people from the planet which the weather control device was stolen in "Touchstone" episode 214?

Oh and I also noticed that Narim, the Tollan is played by the same guy, Garwin Sanford, that plays Dr. Weir's now ex Simon Wallace. I mean talk about coincidental appearance but that's cutting it when it comes to actors time distance between different roles.
      I didn't mind that they used Paul twice because he looks really different now than he did in 'The Torment of Tantalus'. I started watching SG-1 in season two. I just bought season one. I'd already read that Paul played Ernest and I still had to star for a bit to make sure that was him when he came on screen. But the guy that played Narim still looks almost the exact same. I recognized him right away. I don't think they made a good choice there.
      sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Originally posted by M2W View Post
        I didn't mind that they used Paul twice because he looks really different now than he did in 'The Torment of Tantalus'. I started watching SG-1 in season two. I just bought season one. I'd already read that Paul played Ernest and I still had to star for a bit to make sure that was him when he came on screen. But the guy that played Narim still looks almost the exact same. I recognized him right away. I don't think they made a good choice there.
        yer i don't think that was a very good choice either

anyway i didn't know he was in the Torment of Tanatalus...that was the very first ep i ever saw of Stargate...
        I love the Torment of Tantalus...it would have to be on one of my 'most loved' lists
        sigpic

Comment

I'm sure this would have come up but I can't find a reference to it. Shouldn't Ernest Little field be dead? Since his guide rope was cut, shouldn't the gates buffer have not sent the rest. Did this event occur before the buffer idea was thought of? Or is there something else I'm missing.

Comment

that is very true and is a point that i have considered myself. I can't think of an answer either unless the gate could tell when power was cut to the gate that there was a whole person and so it rematrialised him anyways.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Either that, or the gate did not consider the rope as a part of him and had already materialised him on the other side..

Comment

Either one makes sense.

Either way, I adore this episode. It is my second favourite. It has so many wonderful elements, but especially the “A Universal Language” scene (which is my third favourite after the "Space Monkey" scene in "The Serpent's Lair", and the "Toss The Symbiote Head" scene in "The First Ones", those being two and one respectively). I just get so happy ever time I watch that. It helps, as well that the music is incredible, my favourite of the show.

Comment

does anyone know if it was evenr discussed whether they ever attempted to return to this panet via ship to see if anyhting remained of the Helopolis?
                  "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Nope. It has never been discussed in the show as of yet.

Comment

too bad. would have been a cool place to revisit

Comment

Yes it would have, but there has been several places like it, that have been 'ignnored' for lack of a better term.

Comment

But why should they return to this planet? There is nothing interesting on this planet anymore after the destruction of the Helopolis.
                          sigpic

Comment

Whos to say that room was part of the place that fell into the sea? Heck who is to say that it is the only place on that planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Okohme View Post
                              does anyone know if it was evenr discussed whether they ever attempted to return to this panet via ship to see if anyhting remained of the Helopolis?
                              I guess it's possible. It's made quite clear that a lot of stuff happens outside of what we see on the show. SG-1 go on missions that we don't see, multiply that by however many SG-teams and that's a lot of exploring.

The episode establishes that the gate can't be dialled. We could assume that a hypothetical recon mission found out that nothing was salvageable, thus not notable for being mentioned in the show.

Just watched this episode and it is a really special one. A favourite of mine for sure.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                Whos to say that room was part of the place that fell into the sea? Heck who is to say that it is the only place on that planet..
                                Don't you think they would have gone back to check?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X