No announcement yet.

The Broca Divide (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen that episode for a while - good guess!
    sigpic

Comment

No guessing, I see the scene play before my eyes. Floppy-haired Daniel - my favorite.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Actually, according to the transcript, Sam is the one who explains who Paul Broca was. It's in the briefing room scene describing the first visit to the planet and just before Johnson (SG3) attacks Teal'c, and the whole meeting turns into a disaster.

CARTER: Broca Divide. Pierre Paul Broca was a nineteenth century anthropologist. He founded ...

(Johnson glares at Teal'c)

CARTER: ... modern craniometry, to study craniums and brains and to compare the divide in intelligence between early species of mankind.
        To be fair, Daniel started to describe the culture on the planet, and mentions the name Paul Broca. Jack interrupts with a "Huh?", and Sam then says who Paul Broca was.
        Last edited by hedwig; 24 April 2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Meh, I was close.

Comment

I love Teal'c in that scene...

"General, I would prefer to not hurt this man."
            sigpic

Comment

Holes and all, this was a cool episode, with some of the best acting on the show.
              sigpic

Comment

This will definitely remain one of my favorite episodes of the show, with the exception of a couple scenes I really, really dislike - tanktop Sam and Daniel writing off a woman being raped as normal in a 'primitive' culture, Sam being the only one wanting to do anything about it. Glad to see they've changed since then.

The rest of the episode is great, though. Janet's introduction is absolutely wonderful (not biased at all! ), and RDA's acting is very impressive, especially this early on in the show.

Also, "Mr. Teal'c" is too cute for words.
                rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                  ...Daniel writing off a woman being raped as normal in a 'primitive' culture...
                  From an anthropological viewpoint, he wasn't lying.

Also, "Mr. Teal'c" is too cute for words.
                  Lucy, I'm home.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    From an anthropological viewpoint, he wasn't lying.
                    It's his detachment that bothers me. It's like he's casually talking about animals in a zoo, not realizing that he's not there for the purpose of writing an ethnography and is actually allowed to interact with and help people. I doubt he'd say the same thing later in the series when his compassion for people is more obvious.
                    rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Well, he mentions the Australopithicus which was more ape than human. Lucy was a member of the Australopithicus Afarensis (I think - the course is tucked far away in my brain).

But I get what you're saying.

Comment

I agree with Daniel more than Sam in this scenario. At the time (we didn't know about the contagion), we thought they were stone age men. A mere step above the animals observed today. It looked more like mating customs that we see the animal kingdom with survival of fittest.

I hated taxonomy class and you are right FH. It was a precursor to the homo genius.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

It's his detachment that bothers me. It's like he's casually talking about animals in a zoo, not realizing that he's not there for the purpose of writing an ethnography and is actually allowed to interact with and help people. I doubt he'd say the same thing later in the series when his compassion for people is more obvious.
                          Yeah, when we get used to Daniel, the way he is through most of the series when he jumps in to help, it kind of stings to see him hold back, but at the start of the series he was a little more detached and stuff (except when it comes to Sha're) He would die for her, but in this situation he couldn't just run in or he would've been killed and so he probably understood that.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

"Raping" can only occur when the participants are aware of what they are doing - animals follow their instincts and act accordingly.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

These weren't animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                These weren't animals.
                                That's debatable. They were certainly behaving like animals. Just because they were human shaped doesn't mean they were thinking like people.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Working...
                                X