Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anja View Post
    In my opinion equality is like dystopia - it's the differences that count and make life interesting.
    I think 'inequality' is missing in your first line of the second paragraph...
    I was repeating what you said... (see above)

...I don't speak of torture or discrimination...
    Torture - neither were we.
    Discrimintation - yes, we were (Lunaeclipse and I).

...I speak of natural inequality so that we never meet Huxley's visions.
    Natural inequality? And what would that be in your opinion?

Brave New World? - dystopian fiction, which I never read (or 1984 by Orwell -- only bits and pieces in English class)
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Natural inequality? And what would that be in your opinion?

Brave New World? - dystopian fiction, which I never read (or 1984 by Orwell -- only bits and pieces in English class)
      Natural inequality is the fact that no two living beings are exactly the same - consequently there is nothing like equality neither genetically nor as far as culture and behaviour is concerned.
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

Natural inequality is the fact that no two living beings are exactly the same - consequently there is nothing like equality neither genetically nor as far as culture and behaviour is concerned.
        Gender is genetically - plenty of inequality in that area.

Comment

Gender is genetically - plenty of inequality in that area.
          Exactly.
          CARPE DIEM
          ANJA

Comment

Exactly.
            And you say that's a good thing...

Comment

I think she means for the development of the human race, since inequality pushes people to do things they might not otherwise do.

Certainly, it has negative effects on the individuals.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                I think she means for the development of the human race, since inequality pushes people to do things they might not otherwise do.

Biological speaking... I know.

Comment

Seaboe
                  So when she said inequality, what she was actually speaking about was the differences in people, because I'm not sure stating inequality was the clearest way to do that...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

And you say that's a good thing...
                    Yes, call it diversity - that sounds better (not so negative) and without this 'inequality' there wouldn't have been any form of evolution!
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                      So when she said inequality, what she was actually speaking about was the differences in people, because I'm not sure stating inequality was the clearest way to do that...
                      I wasn't the first one to use it.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

Yes, call it diversity - that sounds better (not so negative) and without this 'inequality' there wouldn't have been any form of evolution!
                        inequality and diversity don't equal the same thing necessarily... Everyone is different and everyone can grow and change based on different things that happen in their life - not all change in someone's life is due to inequality... Everyone is different in so many good ways and in bad ways... some people who are strong in some ways are weak in others and it's more of a balance, in my opinion... It seems like you were talking more of differences than inequality, which is something a little different (in my opinion)...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I wasn't the first one to use it.
                          Falcon Horus and I used the term because we were talking about actual inequality--the treating of people differently based on superficial characteristics rather than reasoned judgment. Asking questions of a woman that you wouldn't ask a man, just because she was a woman, is an example of inequality.

Reasoned judgment would be asking a question of a woman that you wouldn't ask a man, because she has experiences that he does not.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Falcon Horus and I used the term because we were talking about actual inequality--the treating of people differently based on superficial characteristics rather than reasoned judgment. Asking questions of a woman that you wouldn't ask a man, just because she was a woman, is an example of inequality.

Reasoned judgment would be asking a question of a woman that you wouldn't ask a man, because she has experiences that he does not.

Seaboe
                            I'm going to come back and green this when I can.

Comment

Thanks! And Luna, your post confirmed for me that this is Nightmare Before Christmas weekend, without having to go check.

Seaboe

Comment

Seaboe
                                What do you mean by: ...asking a question of a woman... I don't get that, sorry.
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X