No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my opinion Sam looked absolutely lovely in this episode! (not that she ever looks ugly)
    Sam is an independent woman, she has a great personality, & she can kick your butt. Lol

This episode just brings out her feminine side. Cuz usually she's trying to be one of the guys. But this episode shows a side of her we haven't seen.
    sigpic
    My tumblr

Comment

This episode has some hilarious moments/lines!

(e.g.: "What is an Oprah?" , "Show me an anthropologist that looks like this and I will eat this headdress!")

But, other than that, I thought it was a pretty weak episode. Sam's easy capture was not believable, the love story was pretty corny, and the sudden change in a centuries-old culture was highly implausible!

Still, this is one of those episodes that I can watch over and over again because of the humourous moments, and because it's like those horrible, horrible cult classics - it's so bad that it's good!

Oh! And I almost forgot, I love seeing Sam being all kick-ass like that! I mean, she's always tough as nails, but I love watching her fight scenes!!

Comment

not exactly the ep you want to air after a pilot
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I agree that this episode has its hilarious moments, and I can't say that I hate it, but it's still too heavy to me. I guess if I'd be watching all episodes in the right order, I probably wouldn't became a StarGate fan...

Oh, and I forgot the mark: 5/10
          Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
            This episode has some hilarious moments/lines!

(e.g.: "What is an Oprah?" , "Show me an anthropologist that looks like this and I will eat this headdress!")

Oh! And I almost forgot, I love seeing Sam being all kick-ass like that! I mean, she's always tough as nails, but I love watching her fight scenes!!
            Haha i LOVE those quotes! And i completely agree with the Sam kicking a** thing.
            sigpic
            My tumblr

Comment

This episode is good, though not among my favorites from season 1.

Comment

The first time I saw this episode, I loved Carter beating the Warlord. "You go girl"
                I had to cheer But it isn'e one that I need to watch over and over. It was the nice surprise of the fight scene and her winning that clinched the episode
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferhailey View Post
                  I know most people, including Amanda, hate this episode.

But I love it. I think Sam kicks butt, and its needed for her to be able to become a better character.

Because we didn't want her to stay the Children of the Gods Briefing Room Sam, did we?

So think of it as a very needed step towards our lovely, sweet Sam Carter. The one we have today.

Plus I'm in love with Abu (Jorge Vargas Jr.) Actually pretty hot without the wig.
                  When did amanda say she hated this episode.

Personally, I don't know why so many think this was like the worst episode ever of stargate. Granted, it wasn't the best, but it still was detestable. Personally, I thought part 1 of New Order was worse then this (SOOO boring lol).
                  sigpic

Comment

Emancipation will never be one of my favorite episodes.....out of the first two or three seasons it seemed to be, imho, the hokiest of them, the most sort of 'cookie cutter sci-fi' of those early offerings.

And it's not a bad show, it's just the sort of thing you would expect to see on an episode of TNG or something.

But that's neither here nor there, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Emancipation and here's why:

I was never into SG1 when it was on TV. I loved the movie when I was younger but the show?

Had zero interest in it.

And then I met my wife. She was a huge fan and, as a result, I was introduced to it.

Sadly, we didn't watch them in order. My first step into the world of SG1 was watching....One False Step oddly enough...and then Emancipation.

One False Step was just.....weird....and while Emancipation wasn't fantastic it got me thinking about all the fantastic possibilities one had with this franchise.

It was the first time we were shown that, nope, it wasn't just Egyptians that were taken by the Goa'uld...slaves were taken from all over the planet by a number of System Lords.

This was the episode that got me thinking about the possibilities of the Stargate and, despite how much it's universally panned, I'll always consider it to be one of the more important shows from Season One, well, for me at least.
                    sigpic

Comment

This epsiode reminds me very much of classic Doctor Who: visit an alien culture, get involved in their petty squabbles, overcome a villain in an unbelievable fashion, right various wrongs, make some friends, say good bye.

All in all, that makes for a good story! Loved the costumes too, especially seeing one of the regulars out of their boring military garb.

The old chief was very subtle and wise as well. And I liked Daniel's point of view as an anthropologist faced with such a different culture.

Comment

I have DVR and Satelite and so we get a channel called Showtime beyond and this episode along with the enemy within were on and i felt like i had a second chance to watch sg-1 on Showtime.

Comment

I know that a lot of people aren't particularly fond of this one for various reasons. I like it because, like juggernaut975 pointed out, it was more of a "normal" meet the folks kind of show, not about the Goa'uld. It was just a meeting with a culture in their "natural" day to day lives. Nothing crazy or alien going on. Just a cultural learning experience. Some very cute moments (obviously the blue dress thing). It wasn't a very broad or important episode, but not every time can it be a "do or the universe dies" kind of thing. : ) just a sweet little "freshman" episode for the show.
                          Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Noxbait View Post
                            I know that a lot of people aren't particularly fond of this one for various reasons. I like it because, like juggernaut975 pointed out, it was more of a "normal" meet the folks kind of show, not about the Goa'uld. It was just a meeting with a culture in their "natural" day to day lives. Nothing crazy or alien going on. Just a cultural learning experience. Some very cute moments (obviously the blue dress thing). It wasn't a very broad or important episode, but not every time can it be a "do or the universe dies" kind of thing. : ) just a sweet little "freshman" episode for the show.
                            Yeah. It also showed us that Sam was true to what she said when she said that she could handle what they could handle, which made it a little easier (in my opinion) for Jack to believe that she really could hold her own.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                              Yeah. It also showed us that Sam was true to what she said when she said that she could handle what they could handle, which made it a little easier (in my opinion) for Jack to believe that she really could hold her own.
                              Exactly! It was perhaps the first time that she got to prove that she wasn't just all brains. Not that I think Jack didn't respect her up to this point, because I'm sure he did, but I think this really helped ease the "not another scientist" mentality! ; ) I just adore Sam, I really do. She is not just a brain, but able to think strategically, do the fighting, and she's funny. I also love the fact that, while she does tend to try to prove herself as "one of the boys" she always was a lady. She was emotional at times but not a weepy-willow. Maybe that's why I also like this episode, it showcases Sam.
                              Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Noxbait View Post
                                Exactly! It was perhaps the first time that she got to prove that she wasn't just all brains. Not that I think Jack didn't respect her up to this point, because I'm sure he did, but I think this really helped ease the "not another scientist" mentality! ; ) I just adore Sam, I really do. She is not just a brain, but able to think strategically, do the fighting, and she's funny. I also love the fact that, while she does tend to try to prove herself as "one of the boys" she always was a lady. She was emotional at times but not a weepy-willow. Maybe that's why I also like this episode, it showcases Sam.
                                Jack gave her a lot of respect in regards to the fight near the end of the ep even before she had entered into it, which was very sweet.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                                "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                                a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Working...
                                X