Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
    My LiveJournal entry

So what's the deal with those Jaffa coming through when the iris was closed?
    Sorry, I might get a bit gross here, but Sam says that they wouldn't be fully rematerialised yet, so does that mean they didn't end up as blood splats on the other side of the iris?
    Also sorry if this is a stupid question or is explained further later and I have forgotten.
    No they wouldn't end up as blood splatter on the other side of the iris
    It would be like particle bombardment towards the iris, thus emitting heat and radiation.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
      I also enjoyed the amount of backstory revealed in this episode, especially during Teal'c's interrogation...the Tauri, genetic memory....and, oh my, Christopher, how you've grown!
      Getting the full view of the briefing room was kinda cool, as well recognizing the things we later took for granted., like MRI's and post mission medicals! Welcome Janet!

While I noted the team shot at the end, I hadn't connected it with Unending. :-(
      I would have to agree w dtherioes about the backstory of the Tauri. It was one of the reasons why i consider it a must watch of season 1 along w the performance Jay gave as Kowalski possessed with the gou'ald and the threat they impose.

I also liked they way they shot the briefing room. We got to see it fully from both ends of the room. As the seasons go on the directors/writers discuss many times in the commentaries on how difficult it is to shot those briefing room scenes in order to present it in different ways and angles to make the scenes interesting. Maybe something to notice as u progress thru the rewatch.

Comment

After rewatching this episode with CotG, I kinda see it as an extension of the pilot (much like SGU was a 3-part (hour) pilot), as this episode gave a lot info about how the symbiotes work, which is crucial to understand as the show moves forward. Overall, decent episode, but much better to come.

Comment

Loved the Jack/Kawalsky moments in TEW. I wish Kawalsky had lasted a bit longer, it would have been great to see more banter between them. It was quite an important thing to do though so early in the series, to kill off someone who had more or less been a main character up to that point. Gives an idea of just how big a threat the goa'uld were, as well as how much of a mystery they were at the time.
          Also love that Jack spelt out Teal'c's name in the briefing room. That was a nice touch for the early days

Comment

Just finished, what an average episode. What's really to say, SG-1 is still young and most of the episodes during the first 3 seasons were average or below.

I'm dreading tomorrow, the SG-1 episode I hate the most, Emancipation. *facepalms*
            sigpic

Comment

I have to agree that cutting out the scenes with Kawlasky's actually being infested with the Goa'uld in COTGs did make it more of a surprise as to the threat of the Goa'uld being brought straight away into the heart of the SGC. It actually made this episode work better viewed after the remastered version.

It was sad to lose Kawalsky so early on, he was a great character and had great chemistry with Jack. I guess it really did throw in there what the new explorers can expect to face out there in the big unknown. I think that having the back of your head cut off as the gate is shut down has to be one of the worst ways to die on Stargate! Yuk!

I really loved the revelation that Earth was the mythical lost first world where humans came from, and they have a name; the Tau'ri. Also great to see how awed Teal'c was that he found himself there. One of my favourite moments in Stargate, always loved ways that the people of Earth were thought of by various races in Stargate. Either as something special or just plain ignorant and primitive! But it's this sense of humans having that potential to be influential out there in the galaxy that is sown here by Teal'c's belief that the Tau'ri are the hope for all humans out there.

Watching this again I'm amazed how nice and compactly a solid foundation was built in this episode alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                My LiveJournal entry

So what's the deal with those Jaffa coming through when the iris was closed?
                Sorry, I might get a bit gross here, but Sam says that they wouldn't be fully rematerialised yet, so does that mean they didn't end up as blood splats on the other side of the iris?
                Also sorry if this is a stupid question or is explained further later and I have forgotten.
                I was also wondering about the thumps that were hitting the iris. I wouldn't send Jafa through, probably loyal worshipers or slaves sent through to see what's on the other side and check back. It also could've been nuke type bombs, or some type of bombs with their own version of a malp.

Comment

I've just watched The Enemy Within. One thing that stood out to me was the really thick CRT monitors everywhere. Is anybody here still using one? I have one in the garage that I got with my 1st computer, back in 97. I've long since switched to LCD's and LED's. Anyway, I've always been drawn to what's on them in each episode. I also loved the way T'ealc was waiting for him up on the ramp. That was a superhero pose if I ever saw one.

Comment

I understand what Sam said about full materialization being impossible because of the iris, but what about the big whoosh thing? that would have had to have engaged fully for the thumpers to have gotten as far as they did. Wouldn't that engaging have encompassed the iris and destroyed it, just like it would destroy anyone who stood in it's path?
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure... I may have to watch it again. Doesn't it woosh first, and then they close the iris? I'm pretty sure they close the iris after the woosh. I guess I didn't pay enough attention lol

Comment

i thought jay did a wonderful job of kawalski freaking out/losing it about being possessed! his wonderful portrayal made me miss what he could have contributed to the series.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Commented elsewhere that the re-watch reminded me that it wasn't till Janet showed up that MRIs and post-mission medicals became sop. The amount of information laid out during Teal'c's interrogation was also important...Tau'ri first mentioned, genetic memory, briefing room layout. But the "loss" of Kawalski and the pain Teal'c must feel when he realizes the betrayal after being so happy to be called friend. :-(

Comment

Re-watching this episode reminded me of everything that was still being figured out about Stargate behind the scenes in the beginning. This is one of a couple episodes early on in which Teal'c's tatoo appears upside down during several shots.

I loved the fact that the writers/actors are already establishing character habits and traits that will become iconic in the coming seasons. Daniel's coffee drinking to stay awake, Jack's uncomfortableness in serious situations and his sense of humor, and Hammond's relationship with the President via the red phone.

And I'm glad they don't have to arm the base's self destruct every time there's an unidentified traveller now. What would have happened if the incoming wormhole had stayed active for more than the three minute allotment?
                            Dear Journal
                            My contribution to the Stargate Rewatch experience. Will be updated nearly everyday, and will cover all episodes, and characters.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                              Just finished, what an average episode. What's really to say, SG-1 is still young and most of the episodes during the first 3 seasons were average or below.

I'm dreading tomorrow, the SG-1 episode I hate the most, Emancipation. *facepalms*
                              It's a burden you can now share with everyone who's participating in the re-watch....we all know your pain

Random note, The Enemy Within is also the title of a MacGyver episode from the first season.
                              sigpic

Comment

This episode really does feel like a continuation of the pilot. A huge three part movie. Kawalsky is one of my favs. I wish they hadn't offed him so soon. I'm glad they did bring him back several times in AUs etc. He was funny and a good character to balance with Jack. He was military, a guy's guy and just interesting. He so could have been a recurring character! He also did a great job portraying the horror of the possession. I imagine this entire situation was pretty hard for everybody to take. Daniel and Jack were getting first hand experience seeing what Sha're and Skarra were going through, Teal'c was being introduced to a world that wasn't really welcoming him and he was dealing with how his actions had hurt these people.

It is a nice episode to learn more details and personality of each of the characters.

on a side note, i couldn't help but think about how much Jack's quip about getting Kawalsky's stereo reminded me of his line to Daniel in, I think it was Origin in S9, about being hungry or getting lunch or something like that. (been too long) Anyway, he used the same sort of light hearted humor here to kind of encourage Kawalsky and lighten the mood as he does all those years later. It just really struck me that Jack hasn't changed! I liked the balance of it.

anyway...I like this episode.
                                Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X