No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after seeing the first seven seasons, I decided to start watching from the beginning while waiting for S8 to come out on DVD. Trying to take my time, so I'll probably post two or three of these "retrospective" reviews a week. Will also try to read past reviews later - will definitely read later ones. Hopefully this will not eat up all of my time.

Wow. This must be the first sci-fi show I've ever seen where, after seeing seven seasons, I didn't re-watch the pilot thinking, "What is this?" Usually there's so much change in both plot and character development (but mostly character), that the pilot seems completely foreign.

It's to TPTB's credit that, for the most part, the characters and the plot have stayed so consistent over the course of the seasons. Sure, the characters - especially Daniel - have grown over seven years (as they should), and usually in the right direction (except for Sam, but we'll leave that for another review). And many aspects of Stargate's plot were introduced very well here, and most of the details were not contradicted in later episodes, which is rare for pilot episodes.

A few things especially worthy of mention:
    • I loved how they managed to introduce each of the four main characters, and give them roughly equal treatment. It's the "equal treatment" part that really amazes me, and I wish we'd seen more of that in later seasons (equal treatment within a single episode, that is, instead of episodes that showcase one character at a time). And we already get to see little hints of the team dynamics and relationships that would make Stargate such a great show to watch. Not just between Jack and Daniel (although that was the most obvious example), but also some hints of the future relationships between Jack and Sam, and Sam and Daniel, and Jack and Sam and Daniel, and Jack and Teal'c.
      And they managed to do this, and forward an exciting plot, that would kick off the main mission for the entire first season. Top-notch writing and acting - looked like they'd already been doing it for years.

• There were a couple of blink-and-you-miss-it details that I enjoyed. There was one point where Daniel rattles off something like, "The boys have been guarding the gate in shifts, 36 hours a day, every day." And on Chulak, Kowalski says something like, "Rise and shine! The sun - suns are shining."

There were a couple of things, though, that distracted me...
    • On Abydos, when the team first comes through the gate, they have a standoff with the boys guarding the gate. Daniel comes in and yells, "Chahari! Chahari. Lower your guns." Then the boys lower their guns - after Daniel has helpfully translated the instruction from their own language into English.

• "Kree" still bothers me. I know in a later episode Daniel says it means, "Listen up! Attention!" So why is it that it's never followed up with any further instruction? And how is it that when Apophis says it to Teal'c, Teal'c interprets it to mean, "get rid of the gun?"

• Apophis himself is kind of... is he supposed to look impotent when he's actually going for "furious?" Because that's how he looks. The actor plays the host well in that ep where he's dying, so it's probably not the fault of the acting... And what's with the death-grip he has on Amaunet's hand while they're approaching the DHD on Chulak?

All in all, excellent for a pilot episode. Great intro to the plot and the main characters. 8 of 10.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Just watched this episode again but I don't wast time in reading all of the thread. Teal'c had asked them where they were from and Daniel drew the symbol for Earth. Teal'c then drew the end of is staff weapon through it. My question is, Why did he do it?

Comment

ether reading was illegal like in the movie, or teal'c didnt believe him.
        MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
        I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
          [*]"Kree" still bothers me. I know in a later episode Daniel says it means, "Listen up! Attention!" So why is it that it's never followed up with any further instruction? And how is it that when Apophis says it to Teal'c, Teal'c interprets it to mean, "get rid of the gun?"
          Maybe for the same reasons Jack can say "Carter" or "Daniel" in a certain tone and they know based on context what he means. Teal'c understands Goa'uld inflection and we don't, that's all.

Comment

I was just RE-Watching the Pilot Episode when i noticed something at the end that had NEVER noticed B4. Cawolskie (sp?) get taken host then goes threw the gate and his eyes glow...... now i know your prolly thinkn no biggie; but only the GOULDz eyes glow not the JAFAs. The infant gould didnt mature as soon as the jafa it came from died. Then i started thinking, its happend in quite a few other episodes as well. -PEACE

Comment

SHoNUFF:
              First, welcome to the forum

Re: your question: Jaffa are not hosts. They are incubators for infant Goa'ulds. The infant Goa'uld normally doesn't take a host until it's mature.

But when the Jaffa that it was in died, this particular Goa'uld had no choice but to take a host. It took Kowalski. At that point, Kowalski became, not a Jaffa (which isn't really possible without Goa'uld technology), but a host to an infant Goa'uld.

That's why his eyes glowed. He was a host.

The reason it could only take control of Kowalski some of the time (and not all of the time) was that it was only an infant and not able to take over a host completely.

HTH

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Another thing I loved was Carter's MacGyver reference after arriving on Abydos.

She was examining the DHD on Abydos with a look of awe:
                Carter: Amazing. This is what was missing from the dig at Giza. This is how they controlled it. It took us 15 years and 3 superconductors to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

That line cracks me up...

...but then I'm easily amused...
                Actually... It was 3 supercomputers... Not superconductors. but other than that... yeah you basically got the qoute right...

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

This was a great opening to the series. I liked how they tied most things into the movie.

Comment

This is something i really want to know

If Chulak has 2 suns, what is it's oprbit shape, does it

1. Go round both in a circle
                    2. Go round one in a circle
                    3. Go in a figure 8 going round one half of the sun but when it gets to the middle it goes round the other until it gets to the middle again n goes round the first one again

Anyone know? I'm a bit stuck with this

Comment

I don't know but a very intersting question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tal'Mak_Josh
                        This is something i really want to know

If Chulak has 2 suns, what is it's oprbit shape, does it

1. Go round both in a circle
                        2. Go round one in a circle
                        3. Go in a figure 8 going round one half of the sun but when it gets to the middle it goes round the other until it gets to the middle again n goes round the first one again

Anyone know? I'm a bit stuck with this
                        Probably (2) would be the most stable. (1) could work, but the planet might have to be too far to be habitable. (3) would not work well since that configuration is very unstable.

There's a few more alternatives. The planet could be in one of the lagrange points between the suns. L4 and L5 are the most stable, but there could be a high risk of asteroid impacts in those areas (i.e. Trojan belts). Also, seasons would be nonexistant unless the planet actually orbited the points rather than stayed in them (though in that case they would be quick - monthly? - seasons).

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so excuse me if I'm intruding, but does anyone know why they stopped using that music that was played when Apophis first appeared? Everytime I head it I get goosebumps. It's just so powerful and really adds to the mood of being overpowered.

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
                            I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so excuse me if I'm intruding, but does anyone know why they stopped using that music that was played when Apophis first appeared? Everytime I head it I get goosebumps. It's just so powerful and really adds to the mood of being overpowered.
                            No need to apologize. You have a legitimate question and I wish I had an answer. I don't. Perhaps you could go to the Ask Joe Mallozzi thread and ask there? You may get an answer, but don't hold your breath.

Have you considered buying the soundtrack CD's? The theme might be included. I bought them, but haven't listened as yet. There is a track entitled Apophis/The Ceremony/Escape. Worth a try.

Hope that helped a little. Just remember, it's the soundtrack from the TV series, not the movie.
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by alexia_star_2002
                              Certain branches of the military do and don't salute indoors....but for the life of me, I can't remember which do and don't for sure. I think the Army does not, but the Air Force and Navy do.
                              All I know for sure is Marines don't salute indoors unless under arms.. And then there are all the rules about what is and is not indoors, regardless of if you happen to be inside or outside of a building.
                              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Hello, I've just re-watched COTG, for the first time ever!!!! I know crazy, I know every other episode basically by heart, but never got to watch this one, so I bought S1...

The first thing question that I ask and I hope you can help me is, at the begining, when Apophis came into the SGC, how did he dial out?

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                                Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
                                Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Working...
                                X