Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Jack O'Neill! (The "I will miss Jack" Vent Thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be sad to see him go. O'Niell's sense of humor is so great. But it will be nice knowing that now RDA gets to take some time off and spend more time with his daughter--and to go fishing! All Minnesotains appreciate the value of fishing. lol
    thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
      WELCOME CELESTIAL GW rocks. Have fun posting and look around, lots of nice places to visit.
      Thanks. I've been looking around and it's a little daunting, and overwhelming trying to get through reading some of the threads posted. I wonder how newbies even get thru all of the reading, or even those who haven't visited the threads for a mere 24hrs.

Originally posted by Feli
      Of course! Most of us are actually rather friendly once the initial hostilities are over and done with...
      Oh, is that what it is.... he..he..he..!

On topic: just watched Beneath the Surface - felt almost surreal to realize how much Jack there used to be in the early seasons. Was nice!
      I know what you mean, as I was just going thru my S1 boxset again, it almost seems RDA/Jack was enjoying himself as oppose to S8 where it seemed there wasn't much spark left in him, or is that just because I saw so much less of him this season?? (*scratch head*)
      Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
      and Captain Jack Harkness
      Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
      Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
      Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
      I live here.....Calling All Australians?
      My other home...Stargate Down Under
      My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Personally, I think a season 9 without Jack is better than no season 9 at all. If I don't like it, I can always turn off the TV and get a social life, or go online and post in the threads of old eps. But maybe it'll be awesome, even without RDA, and it should have that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
          Personally, I think a season 9 without Jack is better than no season 9 at all. If I don't like it, I can always turn off the TV and get a social life, or go online and post in the threads of old eps. But maybe it'll be awesome, even without RDA, and it should have that chance.
          I guess for me, I'd reserve my judgement when I finally get a chance to see it....hopefully it won't be too bad.(fingers crossed). Then again, like yasureubetcha, I can always turn the TV off, or just watch old eps from my collection.
          Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
          and Captain Jack Harkness
          Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
          Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
          Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
          I live here.....Calling All Australians?
          My other home...Stargate Down Under
          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
            I know what you mean, as I was just going thru my S1 boxset again, it almost seems RDA/Jack was enjoying himself as oppose to S8 where it seemed there wasn't much spark left in him, or is that just because I saw so much less of him this season?? (*scratch head*)
            Many fans felt that he wasn't as enthusiastic about filming seasons 7 and 8 as he was in previous seasons. Of course, RDA had stated back in S5 (or S6?) that he wanted to retire, so no surprise there. Sad but not surprising.

Comment

Hello. Another newbie here, and I must get my thoughts out about this.

For me, SG1 has always been about SG1 itself, that core group of 4 people who have evolved into family over the years. RDA will be seriously missed. The show continued, and wasn't bad, with Daniel gone, but it still wasn't the same. The influx of new people in season 9 has me worried, but I think the remaining core can hold it all together. I am anxious to see Ben Browder, since I love Farscape. I just hope he doesn't play a Crichton like character on SG1, it would be nice to see some of his range.

Thanks to RDA for all the great times. I look forward to seeing some more from you in the future.
              Embrace your dorkiness.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilM
                Feel better now that it's done? Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Of course! Most of us are actually rather friendly once the initial hostilities are over and done with...

On topic: just watched Beneath the Surface - felt almost surreal to realize how much Jack there used to be in the early seasons. Was nice!

LOL on the hostilities comment. There are personalities that's for sure.

On topic: I've been capping old episodes and I've been reminded of the energy and light Jack brought to each episode. It's frustrating to observe some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The perceived "dumbing down' of the character and RDA's slow withdrawal. I try not to let these things irk me and then I see
                  Spoiler:
                  Reckoning pt 1. Jacob and Jack are talking to Sam over the MALP and she says the weapon worked on the Replicators. Jack looks all stupid until Jacob translates the techspeak, which really was very easy to understand. I get so pissed off when I see a scene like that.
                  Season one Jack knew Astronomy for pity sakes and somewhere in the last seven years he's slowly oozed out his smarts along with his good humor.

I love evolution in characters but not at the expense of plausibility. Not only will I miss Jack, I have missed smart, energetic Jack. I am not calling any PTB on the carpet just stating the facts as I perceived them. I don't want a repeat of the behavior mentioned above. Bringing him back for a series of sarcastic, apathetic comments is not worth RDA's time or mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruralstar
                    LOL on the hostilities comment. There are personalities that's for sure.

On topic: I've been capping old episodes and I've been reminded of the energy and light Jack brought to each episode. It's frustrating to observe some of the changes that have taken place over the years. The perceived "dumbing down' of the character and RDA's slow withdrawal. I try not to let these things irk me and then I see
                    Spoiler:
                    Reckoning pt 1. Jacob and Jack are talking to Sam over the MALP and she says the weapon worked on the Replicators. Jack looks all stupid until Jacob translates the techspeak, which really was very easy to understand. I get so pissed off when I see a scene like that.
                    Season one Jack knew Astronomy for pity sakes and somewhere in the last seven years he's slowly oozed out his smarts along with his good humor.

I love evolution in characters but not at the expense of plausibility. Not only will I miss Jack, I have missed smart, energetic Jack. I am not calling any PTB on the carpet just stating the facts as I perceived them. I don't want a repeat of the behavior mentioned above. Bringing him back for a series of sarcastic, apathetic comments is not worth RDA's time or mine.
                    Can I just hop on the Ruralstar bandwagon? I agree with everything that you just said. The character has slowly devolved. I was looking to cap something from the Pilot. I noticed that in that episode, Jack's ribbons on his uniform were not as plentiful as what he has now (or when he was still a colonel in the later season). So Jack has done countless missions and has saved the planet multiple times with his team. Put him behind a desk and he's not the man I fell for. To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                      Can I just hop on the Ruralstar bandwagon? I agree with everything that you just said. The character has slowly devolved. I was looking to cap something from the Pilot. I noticed that in that episode, Jack's ribbons on his uniform were not as plentiful as what he has now (or when he was still a colonel in the later season). So Jack has done countless missions and has saved the planet multiple times with his team. Put him behind a desk and he's not the man I fell for. To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.
                      To me, Jack O'Neill is still frozen in Antartica. This is not the real one.

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilM

For me, SG1 has always been about SG1 itself, that core group of 4 people who have evolved into family over the years. RDA will be seriously missed. The show continued, and wasn't bad, with Daniel gone, but it still wasn't the same. The influx of new people in season 9 has me worried, but I think the remaining core can hold it all together. I am anxious to see Ben Browder, since I love Farscape. I just hope he doesn't play a Crichton like character on SG1, it would be nice to see some of his range.

Thanks to RDA for all the great times. I look forward to seeing some more from you in the future.
                        Welcome PhilM
                        Ya, I will miss RDA so much. I am sure that he will eventually pop up on another venture. But I hope that he finishes first the story line they started in SG1 before he moves on.

Comment

RDA brings a unique humor to the show that I don't think anyone can replace. I've been trying to think of the actor I would choose to fill the void, but I can't think of anyone who'll be able to fill Anderson's shoes. It is true that he hasn't been quite as humorous the past season or so, but his leaving will still be a great loss to the cast. I'm sure we all hope that he appears as often as possible in the future. However, his reasons for leaving are about as good as any I can think of.

Ever since I first watched the SG1 pilot episode, my favorite line has been when Carter talks about "macgyvering" a system to control the gate. I wonder. . . . Does Jack O'Neill watch MacGyver?

Comment

When there are episodes like "Citizen Joe" and "Wormhole X-treme" to bring the show into the show, anything's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruralstar

Spoiler:
                              It would be interesting to see a list of 'smart' Jack and 'dumb' Jack scenes in comparison. IMO we tend to forget that there were awfully dumb scenes for him from the very beginning unfortunately - Matter of Time comes to mind. Well, it comes to my mind because that scene with the apple and wormhole explanation always irks me. Even a kid could understand that.

Anyway, all in all you're probably right; the dumb moments did increase in number over the years.

Comment

I am not happy with what I am seeing in general. No Jack to be the fun one. Now I am seeing that we have a new leader of SG-1. They seem to be trying to dump Lt. Col. Carter. They are bringing in new Generals, new doctors, new Jaffa. I currently have Seasons 1 - 7 and I will buy 8 but I am almost sure I will not like Season 9. It really does seem to me that they are trying to make it Androscapegate - SG1.

Comment

Working...
                                X