Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Jack O'Neill! (The "I will miss Jack" Vent Thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruralstar
    Actually I will agree with Liv in the sleep walking comment. Absent Jack coupled with a poorly written character are not an alternative for me to an absent RDA. If we can't have a semblance of the smart, snappy character we used to have I opt out of the sullen, OTT snark that has characterized a good part of season eight. Jack is not meant to stand around looking bored while others talk and then casting lackluster decisions that don't feel like decisions at all but are instead apathetic commentary.

It sounds harsh and again I understand the reason for the absence. I don't resent those reasons in the least, as a parent I can totally understand. That said I don't want a repeat of the last year. By and large it just hasn't been a good ride.
    I agree with you for the most part. Absent Jack is much better than sleep-walking Jack or poorly-written Jack! Not to mention Citizen Joe Jack.
    AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!

But in most eps of S7 and S8 I've usually been able to find a little scene or two with the Jack I like and those scenes are the reason I said that I would rather have that Jack than no Jack at all. I don't know, maybe my expectations are just really, really low, therefore I'm satisfied with only sparks of the Jack we came to love and admire so much.
    Last edited by Feli; 01 March 2005, 12:33 PM.

Comment

At least that's the way it seems to be.

Comment

I will miss RDA terrible because "he was the man". I started watching it because he was on it.

Comment

I^m sad that Jack will be gone in season 9. I think it's true that Daniel was SG 1 soul,
          it^s spiritual side but Jack was for me SG 1 heart...The one who hold the team together
          I want just say "thank you" to Richard Dean Anderson for many wonderfulll episodes...I will
          miss Jack.

I read that some fans say that Jack changed too much. I have still not seen season 8
          I^m not very long a Stargate fan.I know only episdes from season 1,5 and 7 and maybe I should keep because of it my opinion to myself, but watching episodes from different seasons together let me think that all have changed over see time very much.
          In season 1 SG 1 enjoyed exploring the universe, in season 5 they were much harder and angry and in season 7 a little tired and disappointed but not only Jack but all of them.And as I watched last week Atlantis: Rising Daniel and Jack both were for me more like their older selfes than their selfes from the later seasons . So maybe has it as much to do with scripts and what kind of mood the director wants for an episode as with the actors?
          Last edited by Kirara; 01 March 2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna miss him. But, I'm looking forward to season nine.

This actually surprises me, since O'Neill is my favorite character on SG1. I have enjoyed the episodes I've watched this season, and just enjoy the writing overall and find that because of that, I'm not dreading watching a season nine sans my favorite character. I'm still holding out hope that Mr. Anderson will show up on a couple of eps next season, though.

I also think adding the new characters will add a fresh new dynamic to the show. The show is doing a good job IMO right now, but there's only so much you can do with eight years worth of the same characters, no matter how good you are, and thus, I'm glad they did not wait until it direly needed to be fixed (read: until the plots were as stale as day old bread, and the characters became mere caricatures of themselves) before they decided to do something. I'm looking forward to the new cast additions as well as the return of Claudia Black's character ... who, btw, kicked butt (both literally and figuratively ::grin: on 'Prometheus Unbound,' even though I've never seen a single ep. of Farscape. The writers just did that great a job with her. You know, I like the way TPTB write females. A great deal better than other SF shows I've watched - they're either men in drag, or just there as window-dressing.

But, I digress. All in all, even though I'm going to miss Jack - after all, he was written to be so wonderfully unpretentious and funny - I think the show is still so well-written that I'm not as disappointed about it as I might've been.
            It just makes it a little easier for me to be pragmatic about the loss.

UD'38
            “He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that.” - John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
              The question is: was there an alternative? Was there anything more 'meaningful' the writers could have given him to do considering RDA's reduced schedule?

And to keep this thread on topic: even the Jack we had in S7 and S8 - although he wasn't as much fun to watch as in previous seasons - would have been better than no Jack in S9 in my book.
              Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with that last statement.

Consider, for instance, Prometheus Unbound where we saw Jack play off of Daniel and General Hammond... I smiled all the way through it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing him in an episode really makes it for me... and looking back the few episodes that I didn't prefer have one thing in common: Jack either wasn't in them - the rare exception to that was Full Circle, in which he was heavily featured, but I didn't get the point of other than it seemed to me that the writers wanted to kill off all the Abydosians. I mean, what was the point? It was the first and last mention of the Eye of Ra... but I digress... (I got distracted there didn't I? Dang.)

For me, just seeing him there even for a few minutes helps round off an episode and makes it seem balanced...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Sad to see Jack Go But I Respect Mr. Anderson's Wishes and I Hope he Enjoys Family Life. SG-1 just wont be The Same without him, Just like CSI: Miami aint the Same Without Tim Speedle (He died In the Season 3 Opener of CSI: Miami. and he was The Favorite CSI With all the CSI: Miami Fans).
                "Great, last time I faced myself I ended up kicking my own ass." -Sheppard
                "Didn't I order you to get a life?" -Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with that last statement.

Consider, for instance, Prometheus Unbound where we saw Jack play off of Daniel and General Hammond... I smiled all the way through it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing him in an episode really makes it for me... and looking back the few episodes that I didn't prefer have one thing in common: Jack either wasn't in them - the rare exception to that was Full Circle, in which he was heavily featured, but I didn't get the point of other than it seemed to me that the writers wanted to kill off all the Abydosians. I mean, what was the point? It was the first and last mention of the Eye of Ra... but I digress... (I got distracted there didn't I? Dang.)

For me, just seeing him there even for a few minutes helps round off an episode and makes it seem balanced...
                  *looks confused*

But then you are agreeing with me, aren't you? I said I prefer having a little of Jack to no Jack and I prefer having Jack who seems a bit off to having no Jack.
                  Of course I'm speaking generally! Sometimes Jack seems so way off that I'd rather he weren't in the episode but most of the time a short good scene with him can redeem an ep for me.

Comment

He I saw this thread just and well I have some serious thoughts about season 9 since there is so much that is going to change and I miss Jack going off world.If you saw It is good to be king in season 8 you'll know what I mean.Season 8 wasn't that bad BUT I missed Jack going off world.Now thinking that we don't get to see him anymore or in just a few episodes well I think season 9 is going to be very bad !! It is my opinion but well I am afraid of it.I wanted a season 9 but not these things that are going to change.I wish now there came a second movie with everyone in it.Jack,Sam,Daniel,Teal'c,Jonas,Cameron,General Hammond,Bra'tac and others I want SG.1 to end with a BANG
                    Lord Zedd

Comment

Hello everyone.

Firstly want to say this place (Gateworld) rocks! I've been a long time lurker purely for the great info I get from this site, and the great reads I have had the pleasure of perusing since this forum started in April 04.

So I guess it's about time I join up and put in my 2 cents into some of the great topics discussed in this place.

So this is the place to basically whine about RDA/Jack's departure. Well, I'm one of those fans who greatly respect RDA's decision to spend more time with his daughter....but I WILL SO VERY MUCH WILL MISS HIM!!!

I've been watching Stargate since it's conception 8 years ago, and have never ever missed an episode since it began with CotG, but boy is this somewhat like when I first started watching MacGyver from the beginning to the end all over again That was a very sad event for me which took me awhile to get over my "mourning" so to speak

And with S9 fast approaching.....I guess my only consolation is that RDA/Jack slowly started to diminish from my screen, so I guess I'm somewhat prepared for the inevitable that he will most likely be gone by the time S10 airs, if there's ever gonna be one. At least I have my DVDs to always go back to

So Rick, thanks so much for the great shows you have given us over the years of your acting career, and may you finally enjoy the "retirement" you deserve (to spend with your daughter and family) when the time finally comes. But you know you'll be greatly missed.
                      Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                      and Captain Jack Harkness
                      Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                      Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                      Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                      I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                      My other home...Stargate Down Under
                      My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                        Hello everyone.

And with S9 fast approaching.....I guess my only consolation is that RDA/Jack slowly started to diminish from my screen, so I guess I'm somewhat prepared for the inevitable that he will most likely be gone by the time S10 airs, if there's ever gonna be one. At least I have my DVDs to always go back to
                        Welcome to the forum! Have you introduced yourself in the "Welcome, new Members!" thread in the Off Topic folder yet?

As for your strategy: lol! Being prepared for S10 by Jack's increasing absence in the last two seasons is an inventive way of looking at things!

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                          Welcome to the forum! Have you introduced yourself in the "Welcome, new Members!" thread in the Off Topic folder yet?
                          Sure have...and I hope everyone is as welcoming as you are.
                          Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                          and Captain Jack Harkness
                          Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                          Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                          Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                          I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                          My other home...Stargate Down Under
                          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

I will miss and mourn Jack...I have a small drawer full of his quotes at home. That's what Stargate Monday on Sci-fi is for--to help people get their Jack fix when he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                              Sure have...and I hope everyone is as welcoming as you are.
                              Of course! Most of us are actually rather friendly once the initial hostilities are over and done with...

On topic: just watched Beneath the Surface - felt almost surreal to realize how much Jack there used to be in the early seasons. Was nice!

Comment

WELCOME CELESTIAL GW rocks. Have fun posting and look around, lots of nice places to visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X