Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Jack O'Neill! (The "I will miss Jack" Vent Thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by galaxy
    (Actually, RDA and chocolate is a good comparison....YUMMY ...but that belongs to another thread. )
    Oh yes! Remind me to talk about Milka Tiramisu there!

Comment

Wow! There are some wonderful, eloquent posts here. It makes me sad reading them, but the range of things that everyone admires about RDA/Jack just sums up what a fantastic character has been brought to life by an amazing actor.
      Maybe it's the fact that Richard is such a caring & interested person, about his family & also the world around him, has been what's given him the ability put the sparkle & the life into Jack; to make him human.
      I forgot to say it in my earlier post - it was all about Jack, but some of the posts I've just read have made me want to add it now - thank you RDA !
      Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

Im not disapointed just saddened I would still want jack back
        Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
        McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Ruralstar

I will miss Jack’s wit, charm and easy grace. I will miss seeing that secretive smile that has been largely absent in the last two years. I’ll miss seeing a very fine example of the human male strolling across my screen.

I’ll miss him, period.
          To the point!

See, I knew I'd just have to wait for you to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeril
            You know, I can't help but feel a little cheated with RDA leaving. I just started watching the series this year, so although I've caught up on most of the earlier episodes from Monday nights on Sci-Fi, there's nothing like seeing an episode when it airs originally. At least, for me. It just gives me a little thrill to know I'm seeing it for the first time along with millions of other people.
            So, I was disappointed that the first season I tuned in for wasn't their best as S8's been a bit lacking and when I found that next season, RDA's gonna be gone... that kinda hurt.
            I completely respect the man for wanting to spend time with his daughter. That's honorable and touches me in that deep part of my heart that gets sentimental from time-to-time.
            But it still hurts.
            *sniffles* RDA... come back!!
            Jeril, I completely understand what you mean about watching the series as it airs as opposed to catching up. I feel different somehow than the newer fans. I'm not better or anything, I just feel different having lived through the last eight years, three of them as part of the online craziness.

We'll all miss him whether we're six months in or have been here for the long ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
              To the point!

See, I knew I'd just have to wait for you to post.
              Thanks for giving myself and all the others here a chance to vent. (((((Feli)))))

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                ((((((((((((Rural)))))))))) That is a great post and says everything I wanted to say, except you do it so much better than me! I too will miss Jack so much.
                Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                Ruralstar, Wow. Just...wow. I'd rep ya, but I just did. Beautiful words to describe a beautiful person - and not just in looks, either. Feli was right, you expressed everything that I couldn't. So I'm just going to say Very well said.
                Thanks girls

Comment

Feli, thanks for starting this thread and for laying out the ground rules for all of us.

I understand RDA’s reasons for leaving. His dedication to environmental causes and children are just part of the reasons I’ve admired the man for so many years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Richard Dean Anderson is why I turned on Stargate in the first place. I’ve seen the movie and while it’s a decent flick, I’ve only watched it twice all the way through. Kurt Russell introduced us to the character of Jack O’Neill. RDA brought him to life.

The energy and humor so indicative of the character and Rick’s portrayal have been absent in season eight. There are exceptions-Zero Hour-but by and large there is no spark. Jack is not happy as a General and you can see the conflict in RDA’s performance. He wants to be all things to all people. Play a good part, help guide the show and be a dad to his little girl. I’m happy that he’s chosen the latter.

That doesn’t mean I won’t miss him.

The special interactions Jack shares with each of his team are part of what made Stargate unique. Without getting into the fandom politics I will say all of the team. Jonas worked for me because of Corin’s personal energy level and the dynamic of Jonas finding his legs and Jack blaming and later accepting him as part of the team and not a malicious pariah.

The Daniel and Jack friendship is complex and rarely attested to in so many words. It is an underlying theme that brought humor and drama to moments via a simple handshake, a shared grin, or a manly embrace.

Teal’c and Jack, warriors, brothers in arms possessed of a shared mentality. There were moments of conflict and moments of quiet strength. Two that come instantly to mind are; the scene in the Gateroom in Message in a Bottle and the moment on the scoutship in Lost City. These guys understood one another and they cared as openly as they could.

Jack and Sam… How to comment on this without setting off WWIII? Okay whether you saw friendship or love between them there was no doubt that Jack found great pride in Sam’s accomplishments. He tried to groom her for command and he counseled her in her mistakes. The First Commandment and Gemini come to mind. Opposite ends of the series but both illustrate my point. There was something special between these two.

Jack is the leader, the Patriarch of this admittedly dysfunctional group. RDA brings a passion and a presence to the screen. He has his own vibe and it cannot be mimicked or replaced.

I will miss Jack’s wit, charm and easy grace. I will miss seeing that secretive smile that has been largely absent in the last two years. I’ll miss seeing a very fine example of the human male strolling across my screen.

I’ll miss him, period.
                  I know I should snip this. But, *sniffle, sniffle*. "Wahhhhhhh."
                  Better than I could have said. (((Rural)))
                  You're never too old to do something goofy.
                  sigpic
                  Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Frankly, I can't believe the series is continuing without RDA in the first place. I heard he may be back for a few episodes, but really, come on, without Jack O'Neill there is no Stargate. (Not to say there's anything wrong with the other actors) I am so disappointed I might not even watch season 9

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
                    -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Comment

Jeril, I completely understand what you mean about watching the series as it airs as opposed to catching up. I feel different somehow than the newer fans. I'm not better or anything, I just feel different having lived through the last eight years, three of them as part of the online craziness.

We'll all miss him whether we're six months in or have been here for the long ride.
                      I totally know what you mean. Living through a series, from beginning to end, really makes a difference somehow. I'm a X-Phile and I watched practically each new episode as they aired, through all nine seasons, and that makes me different from the people that jumped on the bandwagon in the fifth season or so.
                      Having watched a show for that long, it makes you more intune with it, in a way. As you grow and change, so does the show and the characters on it, and you feel a deeper connection with them rather than having seen the whole of season one in two days in a marathon with your friends. It does make quite a difference and I wish I had discovered SG-1 at the beginning.
                      !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

Originally posted by sclairef99
                        I gotta say - he is one of the main reasons I watch the show, Jack makes me smile and RDA is just so darn good lookin'! I will miss his presence in the show, as I have really missed him during his reduced schedule. But alas, i have my DVD's to keep me smilin'

I will still watch the show, but miss the original!!!

S
                        I like how someone described him on another thread: "the coolness that is O'Neill." That sums it up for me.

He's a great character - funny, sexy, strong, flawed (all the best characters are). Even when he's only on for a few minutes - it still seems to be a necessary part of a show. This is meant in no way to disrespect the rest of the team because I love them all - but O'Neill is...well, O'Neill.

I understand RDA's desire to want to be with his daughter (I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?) but the show without him will seem like a whole new show I think. This doesn't mean I won't watch it - because I will - because I'm an SG-1 diehard.

To say that I'll miss him is a complete understatement - I wish we could set up a petition and have it signed by all of us urging him to participate more than a little in Season 9....

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

What can I say...I will miss Jack. He is IMO one of the most human characters in a science fiction show ever.Richard Dean Anderson portraid not only Jack´s courage and his sense for humour and his caring perfectly but gave us glimpses of Jack´s darker sides: his sadness and sometimes his anger and desperation, too. That made Jack to much more than the typical wisecracking space hero.
                          And the chemistry between the members of SG 1 was a wonderfull thing to watch. It was the reason why I followed the show through all the years despite that I was in the last couple of years not always happy with the direction in which the show had gone.
                          I respect and admire RDA´s decision to spend his time with his daughter but that can´t change that I still wish he had decided to come back for some episodes ( the 3 episodes in season 6 in which MS appeared were for me some of the best episodes the show had ever done).
                          Stargate SG 1 will for me always be the story of Jack and Daniel and Sam and Teal´c.
                          I will miss Jack (and RDA) very much. Without him isn´t it any longer the Stargate I loved .
                          Last edited by Hathor999; 25 February 2005, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            I like how someone described him on another thread: "the coolness that is O'Neill." That sums it up for me.
                            <snip>
                            I understand RDA's desire to want to be with his daughter (I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?)
                            <snip>
                            I don't believe his daughter lives with him full time. Her mother lives in LA as well. IMO, he's trying to be as involved as a "non-custodial" parent can be. When she gets older, she can choose which parent with which to live.
                            Even if she lived with him in Vancouver, a shooting day is a looooonnnnggg day. He'd wouldn't get to see her anyway.
                            I hate to see RDA / Jack leave but, think of this. How many people can only WISH that they could spend more time with their kids? I know that most of the people I work with would drop this job like a hot potato if they had the financial security to do so.

I've babbled on long enough. Now I'm getting depressed again. Time for a trip to the Gutter.
                            You're never too old to do something goofy.
                            sigpic
                            Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr
                              I don't believe his daughter lives with him full time. Her mother lives in LA as well. IMO, he's trying to be as involved as a "non-custodial" parent can be. When she gets older, she can choose which parent with which to live.
                              Even if she lived with him in Vancouver, a shooting day is a looooonnnnggg day. He'd wouldn't get to see her anyway.
                              I hate to see RDA / Jack leave but, think of this. How many people can only WISH that they could spend more time with their kids? I know that most of the people I work with would drop this job like a hot potato if they had the financial security to do so.

I've babbled on long enough. Now I'm getting depressed again. Time for a trip to the Gutter.
                              Pfft my parents cant wait for us to leave lol
                              Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                              McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I've been wanting to ask this...why not move his daughter up to Vancouver then and have the best of both worlds?
                                TO ALL:

Please, no speculation or comments on RDA's daughter's personal business. It's legitimate to comment (within reason) on RDA's publicly stated desire for more family time. But no discussion of his child or of any matters that are a part of her private life; that is off-limits for this forum.

Thanks.

Madeleine
                                GW Moderator

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X