This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    I agree, but you said it much better than I could have.

We all know Silkie is only stirring things up, we should just ignore him. But, all the other shippers who might feel not so positive about our favourite ship, well, it's their thread too.

Just mho on things.
    Exactly. There is a difference between coming here to share your disappointments with fellow shippers and coming here to repeatedly and intentionally rial people up.

If you don't feed the trolls, they will eventually either stop being a troll or find some other place to troll-about.

Comment

Originally posted by mara-anni View Post
      Makes me smile to. Frankly I think you're right. We know he's not the type of guy to go to a bar and pick up some random woman. He's also not the type of guy to go around speaking of women in that fashion...usually...which actually gives the impression that Weir may be privvy to some knowledge in this regard. She certainly knows what he was getting at which is why she cut him off before he could say it. The other thing is that actual line itself.

Hot shower, hot toddy, hot...

Fill in the blanks. The term isn't 'hot brunette' or 'hot red head' is it? It's 'hot blonde'. So he's not talking about Kerry.

Okay, you may argue he was gonna say something else, but what? Hot water bottle? I don't think so folks.

I'm totally with you on this one APA. He was gonna say Hot blonde and we all know unequivically who that is just as we knew who Kerry was taling about when she said "Is the AF the only thing keeping you 2 apart" NO names were needed
      Gutter warning:
      I have to admit that when I saw this the first thing that popped into my head was "hot sex", but knowing Jack, Hot Blonde is probably what he was going to say. Either way, we KNOW he was thinking about Sam!!!

Ours is the only reality of consequence.

Comment

Hi, I’ve been lurking here for some time, enjoying the Ship, and an odd anomaly has struck me. This may be ‘slightly’ OT, but here goes nothing!

During the MacGyver series, whenever it looked like Mac was getting too close to one of his ‘girlfriends’, hordes of fans wrote in demanding that he stay single! I’ve seen interviews where RDA said that so many ‘scathing’ letters were received that the woman in question had to be hastily written out!

With Jack, however, we are all desperate to see him living happily ever after with Sam (me included I love Jack to bits and have suffered with him through all the pain caused by ‘the rules’ and everything else that has kept them apart).

The characters of Mac and Jack are similar in many ways, both funny, cute, gorgeous, charismatic, kind, (ok, so I’m describing RDA here, but that’s not surprising since he had a lot of input into both characters!) always defending everyone who needs help. So why the huge difference in fan reaction?

Would love to hear your views on this.

Comment

Evolution: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

I think that could just about sum them up

Made a new sig today:

sigpic

Comment

Inspired by the Evolution discussion from last night, I made a wallpaper...

Click to enlarge...
            Love and hot fudge,
            Bren Ren
            ~
            My stories!
            ~

sigpic

Comment

Hi Shippers!

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
              Just dropping by to leave the link for the latest Aftershock...

Tomorrow is Another Day

TAG to WoO. Sam/Jack shippy.

Spoiler:

Mara,

I do think you're right about the team's cohesiveness in some respects being tied to the bond between Sam and Jack - when everything is OK with them it works best and when something is out of kilter, the team is out of kilter.

But then I tend to think that that's true of all the relationships in the team. When they pull away from each other for whatever reason, the rest of the team dynamic suffers. It's just that with Sam/Jack being so central in terms of storyline we get to see the effects more when they're not in synch but you can see it also with Jack/Daniel.

I think the heart of it though - that they are much stronger united as a team is very true. I think one of the fascinating things though is that story of the four of them through the years; each of them was wonderful in isolation; Jack was an outstanding soldier, Teal'c an outstanding warrior, Daniel a genius in his field, Sam a genius in hers...yet all of them alone in many ways despite other relationships around them...and it is only in coming together as SG1 they truly find somewhere they belong.

Avatar, the one with Teal'c in the virtual game, is one of my favourite episodes, mainly because it truly demonstrates that but from Teal'c's perspective; that deep, subconscious knowledge that only when SG1 is together, when they trust each other can they truly defeat the Goa'uld and win is very powerful.

On the lunch invite and command commentary. I think Jack is sincere when he says 'nice command' but I think Sam is a little defensive - she does well but I think she's found the whole thing slightly unnerving being in 'command' of a mission where she's actually the least experienced person on the team and the whole ending where really it is Jacob/Selmak's and Bra'tac's experience that helps save them from the Kull warrior. So I think her reply of 'we're still alive' is a recognition from her it was a difficult mission and they got the best outcome they could and Jack's reply is a confirmation that he understands what she's saying.

I just love that lunch invitation; it's just such a 'aw - they love each other moment'.
              (spoilered for length.

Rachel, I'm so glad you said this. After I posted this last night I was thinking more about it - coz apparantly I have nothing better to think about - I realised something.

SG-1 really is like a family. Therefore, just like in any family, what effects one of them effects every one of them. So if there is tension between any 2 of them the whole team feels it and suffers. Also if one of them is going through a hard time (eg, Jack's experience in Abyss, Sam's with Jolinar, DAniel's loss of Sha're, T's loss of Sha'nac(sp?) and these are just some examples) than again the whole team shares their pain and suffers.

Interesting, so you thought she seemed defensive too? If she was defensive then I agree with your explanation of it. And of course Jack unsderstands what she's trying to say. They understand each other far to well.

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
              Just to weigh in with my one and a half cents...

I've always taken Jack's compliment to be sincere praise. It's the look on his face, for me, that sells it on that count. There's an earnestness there that backs up the words, IMHO. And I just took Sam's reply to be her self-deprecating way of dealing with his compliment...a tendency, I might suggest, that she learned from Jack himself, although I don't think of her as ever being one who was ever out there blowing her own horn, in spite of her many brilliant accomplishments. In fact, I wonder if she wasn't thrown a little bit by his simple and straight-forward remark...cuz you'd usually expect Jack to make some quip at this point...and since he doesn't make it she feels she has to. Jack's rejoinder helps move them beyond what perhaps was beginning to be an awkward moment of too much feeling for both of them and they fall into the easy flirting that they do oh so well.
              Thanks APA. Yet another view, Im lovin' it. As I said, I agree Jack's praise was sincere, but I never thought of her comment as her sense of humility coming out. I can see how you may be right though. Sam has never been good with praise, and yes Jack does the exact same thing too.

Hehehe I always think of his line in The 5th Man "It's my way of deflecting attention away from my own obvious heroism" LOL!

Anyway, I like it. I still don't know which way of seeing her remark I side with though
              sigpic
              Sig by AstraPerAspera and avatar by SamJackShipLover

Thanks Bekki

Comment

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
                Hi, I’ve been lurking here for some time, enjoying the Ship, and an odd anomaly has struck me. This may be ‘slightly’ OT, but here goes nothing!

During the MacGyver series, whenever it looked like Mac was getting too close to one of his ‘girlfriends’, hordes of fans wrote in demanding that he stay single! I’ve seen interviews where RDA said that so many ‘scathing’ letters were received that the woman in question had to be hastily written out!

With Jack, however, we are all desperate to see him living happily ever after with Sam (me included I love Jack to bits and have suffered with him through all the pain caused by ‘the rules’ and everything else that has kept them apart).

The characters of Mac and Jack are similar in many ways, both funny, cute, gorgeous, charismatic, kind, (ok, so I’m describing RDA here, but that’s not surprising since he had a lot of input into both characters!) always defending everyone who needs help. So why the huge difference in fan reaction?

Could be the age difference shown between the two shows. As a handsome man ages people expect him to have had settle down and have a lovely wife waiting for him at home but when they are young gorgeous, females pray that he is single and available. Get my drift! IMO I think RDA is better looking now then when he was younger but I was always a sucker for silver haired man. (which is funny since my husband doesn't have a gray hair in his head)
                sigpic

Comment

Hi!

Great question. I think there's two reasons between the fan reaction. One is MacGyver took place mainly in the late 80s, and I think people expected different things out of their TV shows then, especially with regards to romance and women characters. The other reason I think is that even though RDA was the big name attached to the show, it's very much an ensemble show where as MacGyver was about, well MacGyver. Sam was given actual character development instead of just being "Jack's girl", so we care what happens to Sam just as much as we do about Jack.

Other things that I think play a part is that most of Mac's love interests were the typical damsel in distress. Which gets old after a while. And I hate ditsy women so I was never big on Penny Parker myself.

And of course, IMNSHO, Sam and Jack are adorable together (as seen in the enclosed spoiler tag).

No spoiler here, just J&S cuteness...
                  Spoiler:
                  Last edited by Seahen; 20 January 2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trupi View Post
                    Could be the age difference shown between the two shows. As a handsome man ages people expect him to have had settle down and have a lovely wife waiting for him at home but when they are young gorgeous, females pray that he is single and available. Get my drift! IMO I think RDA is better looking now then when he was younger but I was always a sucker for silver haired man. (which is funny since my husband doesn't have a gray hair in his head)
                    I guess you're right, the age difference could be it. I think maybe I didn't see that as I have only recently seen the Mac series and see it from a different angle than I would have in the 80's. And, er, yes, he definitely got better looking as he got older! He's only three years older than me so, yes, mmmmm

Comment

PengYn! Oh *sob* that is just beautiful!!!! *sniff*

And Brenren, again...so lovely.

Originally posted by ljevans View Post
                      Gutter warning:
                      I have to admit that when I saw this the first thing that popped into my head was "hot sex", but knowing Jack, Hot Blonde is probably what he was going to say. Either way, we KNOW he was thinking about Sam!!!
                      ROFL!!!!! Unfortunately JAck would never be quite so blatant about his personal life, D'oh!

This is a great question and I think Trupi and Seahen answered it better than I can...still me being me I have to add my 2 cents worth

You know the shippers really should tell me to shut up - I swear I don't talk this much in RL

I actually was one of those rare entities that actual wanted Mac to get together with one woman - I like that girl that worked with him sometimes and they argued a lot with the dark hair - can't remember her name - but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I agree that the 80's was a whole different kettle of fish. The women were shallow, and usually stupid and always in need of rescue. Plus as one of you pointed out the show was all about Mac, there was no team.

BUt I also think, though there are obvious similarities, the characters of Mac and Jack are completely different. And perhaps that's what makes us want Jack to be with the woman he loves (Mac was always a bit of a womaniser Jack isn't). At the same time we get to know the character of Sam and we like her and want her to be with the man she loves too. It just so happens that these characters have fallen in love with each other (which was innevitable when with their chemistry...sizzle). And we get the great angst of they love each and can't be together, whereas Mac never had that problem. It was easy for him, it's not easy for Jack and so we root for him to get the girl in a way we didn't need to for Mac. Did that make sense? Probably not

Either way, for me there is something so special about this ship. Something I've never felt before (I mean I've enjoyed other ships in other shows, but I've never been so...obsessed. I've never been so emotionally invested in fictional characters before. So perhaps that's what it is too. That something special that sets this ship apart.

And I ahve to agree Trupi. I've had a thing for RDA since MacGyver, he was always handsome...but he is soooooooo waaaaay hotter as Jack!!!!!!! Yummmm!
                      sigpic
                      Sig by AstraPerAspera and avatar by SamJackShipLover

Thanks Bekki

Comment

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
                        Hi!

Great question. I think there's two reasons between the fan reaction. One is MacGyver took place mainly in the late 80s, and I think people expected different things out of their TV shows then, especially with regards to romance and women characters. The other reason I think is that even though RDA was the big name attached to the show, it's very much an ensemble show where as MacGyver was about, well MacGyver. Sam was given actual character development instead of just being "Jack's girl", so we care what happens to Sam just as much as we do about Jack.

Other things that I think play a part is that most of Mac's love interests were the typical damsel in distress. Which gets old after a while. And I hate ditsy women so I was never big on Penny Parker myself.
                        Yep, both reasons make sense, thanks. I actually started to feel in the last three seasons of Mac that he needed to find his soulmate, because he was starting to look a bit lonesome. And yes! Penny Parker was the one character in the show that I really didn't want him to be within a hundred miles of not the sort of creature I would wish on any right-thinking man (although Teri Hatcher did the character justice, she was meant to be that ditsy LOL).

And Jack and Sam? Perfect together! Sooo hoping for something in Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by mara-anni View Post
                          You know the shippers really should tell me to shut up - I swear I don't talk this much in RL
                          Don't ever shut up, especially on this thread, we love you just the way you are!
                          sigpic

Comment

I've seen various posts in the last few days and I wasn't going to do this but I think it probably needs to be done...

We have gone round this a few times since I've been on the thread and the answer is always this:

The thread is pro-Sam/Jack ship ie. posts have to be supportive of seeing Sam/Jack together/that they make a great couple. Other than that the thread has always gone on the principle anything else goes within forum rules. Free speech in action.

What does that mean? Well, it means that everyone needs huge amounts of tolerance.

You can post an anti-S9/S10, an anti-other character (whether Cam/Vala/Pete/Laira/McKay/whoever), anti-TPTB statement (again, so long as you don't contravene forum rules).

However, you need to be aware that there is probably a fellow shipper on the thread who is pro-S9/S10, pro-other character, etc and who may take exception to your remark. So, really a little sensitivity when posting anti-comments, a little understanding and tolerance when reading something you personally don't agree with and in replying, and the thread tends to move along quite nicely.

We're also fairly relaxed by OT in general although when it gets too much like a chat room someone usually speaks up and things revert from chat-room to discussion thread again.

Equally, we accommodate all S/J shippers. There are 'negative' shippers who feel hard done by TPTB, are deeply cynical about a resolution and who like to come here to vent while still believing Sam/Jack are great as a couple; there are 'positive' shippers who are happy with the status quo and are generally simply pleased by whatever TPTB give us, and then I would guess the vast majority of us fall somewhere in between with occasional forays into both extremes at times.

There is a fine line though as VSS mentioned a couple of days ago between a shipper feeling negative about the course of the ship, and one that comes across anti-Sam/Jack as a result. I've seen a few posts in the last week that I felt did cross the line and personally, I do think there are some occasional posts made with the intent of riling the thread/stirring the pot. I know myself its sometimes not easy to ignore them.

Let's face it; SG1 don't always agree and sometimes neither do we but like SG1, in many ways we are a family - and to stay that way the key is tolerance. The thread has always worked on it and that's why I find it such a great place.
                            sigpic
                            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

mara-anni;7594602]
                              This is a great question and I think Trupi and Seahen answered it better than I can...still me being me I have to add my 2 cents worth
                              You know the shippers really should tell me to shut up - I swear I don't talk this much in RL [
                              No, they shouldn't, it's great to hear from you

(Mac was always a bit of a womaniser Jack isn't).
                              I'm a bit uncomfortable with that. At the beginning, yes, they did keep getting him to kiss the girl, but I always sensed that it was superficial and what he really wanted was to to find 'the' one. Just my take on it and as the series progressed there were fewer 'ditsy' females around, thank the Lord!

But I get that Jack is a more mature character and that because there is a permanent team in SG1 it made it possible to explore the character of Sam in greater depth, thus making us love them both and root for them to be together.

Ooops! now who's rambling
                              Thanks for the response, I think I might be dropping in here more often now that I sort of 'know' you all a bit better.

Comment

BTW have just watched Lost City 1 &2:

(unknown voice) 'What the hell was that?'
                                (Hammond) 'That was S. G. 1. !' Yay!

And the look on Sam's face as she put her hand up to Jack's face.......'We can't just leave him like this. There has to be a way of reversing the process! The answer must be here somewhere!' Meaning, of course, 'I can't leave him.'

*sobs for Sam*

It's 11pm, time for bed, but, but, no, sorry, gonna have to watch New Order, just to reassure myself that she does get him back................

Comment

Working...
                                X