Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be great to have RDA in the 200th episode.I'am still hoping RDA will appear in a couple of Season 10 episodes.I do not trust TPTB to resolve the Sam and Jack Ship in one episode.TPTB had 8 Years and could not resolve the Ship.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
      I agree that the UST was a part of it, but there was also the issue of propriety. The appearance of propriety should still be a concern.
      If the producers tried to do that, I don't think Amanda would go along with it. I still think it's a cheap ploy to have Cam as this friend who was never mentioned before.
      I agree with your first part. It doesn't matter if they are the same rank, there is propriety involved. I think the only way they could get away with it is if they were related, but even military couples are supposed to leave it at home. They are the 'job', if anybody understands that.

The second part of your comment, I am torn on. I don't think it was a ploy, I think it was desperation. They had Landry and Lam to add in, and don't forget some of the 'new guy' stuff from when Jonas joined in. I think they just wanted to have someone who was familiar to the other characters to come in, but I am finding it hard to 'get him' because we haven't seen to much of him yet.
      sig by PM

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
        It would be great to have RDA in the 200th episode.I'am still hoping RDA will appear in a couple of Season 10 episodes.I do not trust TPTB to resolve the Sam and Jack Ship in one episode.TPTB had 8 Years and could not resolve the Ship.

I TOTALLY agree with you Ses110 !!!
        It would be very very very GREAT to see RDA back in Some episodes of 10th saison ! or if it's not the case , at least in the 200th episode! !
        And about the ship I personally believe TPTB would badly not resolve this so long ship in ONE episode, it would be so cool but I don't succeed to believe it

Comment

Originally posted by josephine-paris
          I TOTALLY agree with you Ses110 !!!

And about the ship I personally believe TPTB would badly not resolve this so long ship in ONE episode, it would be so cool but I don't succeed to believe it
          The realist in me agrees with you Josephine. I know it is seriously unlikely to happen. I wonder what TPTB would do though, if they knew for definite that RDA/Jack was never going to come back. Probably still leave us hanging.....

I think I'm just going to have to regard Threads as all the on-screen 'resolution' we are going to get and use fanfic and imagination to fill in the gaps. Which in the absence of anything else works quite well for me. Then if we get anything else on screen, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Still fervently hoping that TPTB aren't disrespectful enough to pair Sam off with anyone else, of course......
          always and forever
          My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
          My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rune

What a beautiful photo and , above all , moment !!!

I only need that to be in a good mood !

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal

I realize there were exceptions, hence my qualifier "essentially". The examples you point to, though, are different in at least three respects:
                -they were the result of extreme situations, not casual occurances
                -they were generally private
                -they were restrained expressions of deep-seated emotion, not whims taken lightly

Oh, and you forgot one : S8
                Spoiler:
                New Order

I guess I just find it inappropriate. Frankly, the whole situation is, well, hinky.

Originally posted by majorsal
                spoilers for s7 and s8

there is one thing to consider, parsifal - sam and mitchell are 'friends', same as sam is with teal'c and daniel. there isn't UST (unresolved sexual tension) running between sam and mitchell, so any kind of affection isn't an uncomfortable impulse to make more of it.... like it was with sam and jack. like it's 'always' been between sam and jack.

i'm glad they've established that they're friends, because it helps to alleviate and possible sam-mitchell ship ideas. sam knows mitchell. she knew him when
                Spoiler:
                she met pete. she knew him when she dropped pete for jack. she knew him when she went 'fishing' with jack.
                sam and mitchell are just friends.

(if the ptb make them out to be 'more' in the future, i'll kill myself and cut up the body and send them body parts each week... don't you think i'm talented to be able to do that 'after' my death? )

sally
                I mostly lurk these days, but I agree with Sally's analysis.

Everything about the relationship between Sam and Mitchell suggests they are friends and have been for a while. That doesn't raise any flags for me. Over the seasons so-called "Old Friends" of each of the characters have materialized. Usually they disappear after an episode. But Jacob, Bra'tac, Sarah started appeared mid-run as one episode wonders but became recurring characters. All that's different for Mitchell is that he's a regular.

As for the touching: Sam's a touchy-feely/huggy kind of person; it makes sense that she'd hug--or throw an arm around a friend of either gender--and vice versa. So, for me, if Sam has a level of physical comfort around Cameron Mitchell, it means friends is all they'll ever be.

Because, I think examples of her touching Jack don't count,here--or count in a different way. Almost every one of the instances where Sam and Jack touch was fraught--we couldn't help but notice that Sam and Jack were touching because those moments were so rare and so centralized. They are charged in a way that contact with others is not. For example, --Is season 7 still in spoilers? Well, just in case--
                Spoiler:
                Notice how Jack hesitates before comforting Sam in "Death Knell," or how they both hesitate before embracing in "Heroes, Part II."
                . Sam and Jack pause--they hesitate before touching. That hesitation doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough to mean that "Sam and Jack touching" is marked, ie special. And "Sam touching anybody else" is normal. Sam touching Jack is electric.

So, from a shipper perspective, I'd be more worried if Sam--or Cam--hestitated before expressing camraderie through a hug or an arm around the shoulder. The fact that it's no big deal means it's, well, pfttt, no big deal.

As for the propriety of it, I can't say. In my head Sam's just a toucher--it's built into the character. I think if it were a serious violation, the Air Force advisor would have pointed it out. Shooting such a scene with no physical contact would probably be easier. I think the producers fudged this one the same way they fudged the "two Lt. Colonels in one unit" issue. It wouldn't happen the real military, but it's not so out-of-whack that they had to change it. I think tptb go with what they can get away with--and that's usually going to be What People Don't Notice. That's why Sam can hug, touch, kiss half the galaxy, but not Jack. Except for the whole Pete thing--which was deliberate --people don't notice much when Sam touches a guy. They do notice when she touches Jack. They notice so much that the characters couldn't have casual onscreen contact without a hue and cry from both shippers and non-shippers.

So, whether or not it's a matter of propriety, TPTB will do what they can get away with easily. I can't see AT objecting to Sam's casual, non-sexual contact with Cameron, Daniel, Teal'c, etc. as long as it fit the script situation and her character.

Bucky

ps Sally, I have no doubt that you could work magic under any circumstances.

Comment

I do not want to bring everyone down but you can bet if TPTB cannot get RDA to appear anymore TPTB will pair off Sam with someone else.TPTB have proven time after time they cannot stay away from the Male guest star falling for Sam.TPTB will have the excuse we tried to get RDA to appear and we just had to move on.I cannot see TPTB saying if we cannot show Sam and Jack together where not having Sam with anyone.IMO there will be pressure to pair Sam off with someone or TPTB will just use there favorite guest star of the week falling for Sam.

Comment

I'm hoping this RDA news is good, but I do doubt that RDA will appear, but if he does...I'm very hopeful for some ship...here's why
                    Spoiler:
                    Threads and Moebius were meant to resolve the ship, and TPTB seemed surprised that there was so much disgruntlement with the episodes...they might realise that they need to do the right thing and get them together
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I would have to disagree. I know that TPTB have not given a resolution to Sam and Jack but after season 8 they have leaned in the direction that the two of them definitely have a history (previously on Stargate in Threads) and a probable future ( scene with Kerry in office, fishing, the "always"scene with Sam and Jack). I think that once they have something definite on the situation with RDA then they will make a decision on Sam and Jack. I don't think the show will continue past season 10 and if it does will feature different actors. I don't think there would be enough time in the TV world to have Sam after 8-9 years suddenly change her mind ("You can still have everything you want.") and show her in a different relationship. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I have always believed that in the end, when all is said and done, that they meant the two characters to be together. (on the commentaries for Mobius PDL says that if this had been RDA's or the shows final scene then "this would have been their riding off into the sunset moment. Jack finally gets Sam to go fishing, something that many fans have been waiting for." ) Why have Threads be the way it was if they truly wanted the show to go in another direction?

Comment

I wasn't disagreeing with SueKay but the comment before, sorry, slow typist.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
                          I would have to disagree. I know that TPTB have not given a resolution to Sam and Jack but after season 8 they have leaned in the direction that the two of them definitely have a history (previously on Stargate in Threads) and a probable future ( scene with Kerry in office, fishing, the "always"scene with Sam and Jack). I think that once they have something definite on the situation with RDA then they will make a decision on Sam and Jack. I don't think the show will continue past season 10 and if it does will feature different actors. I don't think there would be enough time in the TV world to have Sam after 8-9 years suddenly change her mind ("You can still have everything you want.") and show her in a different relationship. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I have always believed that in the end, when all is said and done, that they meant the two characters to be together. (on the commentaries for Mobius PDL says that if this had been RDA's or the shows final scene then "this would have been their riding off into the sunset moment. Jack finally gets Sam to go fishing, something that many fans have been waiting for." ) Why have Threads be the way it was if they truly wanted the show to go in another direction?
                          I think this too, STARGATE7777. I know many shippers, including myself, are not happy with what we got in Threads and especially Moebius, but these episodes pointed us in the direction of Sam and Jack getting together. I think TPTB were taken aback at just how disliked Pete was (and not just by shippers), and are too afraid of the outcome if they decided to ship Sam with anyone other than Jack. I also think that Amanda Tapping would be against the idea of giving her character any more romantic entanglements. Of course, I still want to know that they are definitely together, and I still want to see a big honkin' kiss!
                          sigpic

Comment

I really hope I'am wrong.I just hope Scifi does not pressure TPTB of SG-1 to have Sam involved with someone if they cannot get RDA to appear.TPTB have been well aware for a long time that Shippers wanted Sam and Jack together and have not made it happen on screen.TPTB also should have known how Shippers would react after giving Sam a Boyfriend especially after 7 Years and they still gave Sam a Boyfriend.Right now it does not seem like TPTB care if they upset the Shippers.

Comment

I really hope I'am wrong.I just hope Scifi does not pressure TPTB of SG-1 to have Sam involved with someone if they cannot get RDA to appear.TPTB have been well aware for a long time that Shippers wanted Sam and Jack together and have not made it happen on screen.TPTB also should have known how Shippers would react after giving Sam a Boyfriend especially after 7 Years and they still gave Sam a Boyfriend.Right now it does not seem like TPTB care if they upset the Shippers.
                              Sadly that's true, ses. On a slightly upbeat note...spoilers for S9
                              Spoiler:
                              I read that there was the idea that Cam and Lam ( ) had some sort of ship in the past, which we may hear about in future episodes.
                              If this is the case, then we won't have to worry about Sam being involved with Cam.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ses, I doubt that the SciFi channel gets into the nitty-gritty of plots, but even if they did, they wouldn't be pressuring the writers to pair off Sam with someone. At this point Sam is old news. The pressure, if there were any, would be to pair up Daniel and Vala--or Mitchell and Lam. Those are the characters currently being focussed on. But I doubt they'd care even about that. SciFi's real interest is ratings. They'd want more of the storylines that brought in the fans.

I, too, am of the opinion that "Stargate SG-1" will be lucky to get through a 10th season. If it goes longer than that, I, too, think it will be essentially a different show with a focus on different characters. I got a strong vibe from AT's interviews that she, also, would like to move on. It's one thing to take a small nursing infant to work. They eat and sleep and don't move around. But if there is a season 10, AT's baby will be a year old. You can't keep a one-year-old cooped up in a trailer while her mother is filming. So, AT's circumstances will change.

I suspect RDA might be willing to come back for a 200th episode and perhaps a series finale--probably more likely the series finale than the 200th. He started the project in the first place and it seems likely that he'd like to close it when it's time.

As for TPTB and what happens to Sam. They write what they think will be an interesting episode. Having the Male Guest Star (or as trekkies say, AOTW--alien of the week) fall in love with Sam doesn't mean she has to fall in love back. I just don't see them writing love stories for Sam any more. She got two seasons of the Pete story--wretched though that made us feel. Given the way the writers comment about the show, my guess is that as far as any romance is concerned, they'd think that Sam had 'Been There Done That.' Ie, it's just not a new exploration for them or for AT. If it were, we'd have more to worry about.

That doesn't mean they feel any need to establish on screen that Sam and Jack are in a relationship. They can't explore it if RDA isn't there and they really don't care about casual asides to remind us that S/J are a couple. I'd guess that if a writer did insert a line hither and yon about the subject, that it would be the first to be excised if there were time problems. And rightly so. Their priorities now are to make the characters and events of Season 9 make sense. If a casual reference to S/J in a scene didn't add to the development of the episode, my guess it would be left in because they needed a couple of seconds. If they were over, it would be deleted.

So, I'm going to hope that Season 10 is it and that RDA will be nostalgic enough to appear in the 200th episode and the series finale. If he does, I feel certain that there will be no new love interest (beyond an ATOW) for Sam, and very likely a stronger hint that S/J are finally together.

Holding up my half-full glass.

Bucky
                                Last edited by Bucky; 08 October 2005, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X