This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trupi
    Well just checked British airways. Round trip for me and my husband is 2900 US. One flight goes to London and then we fly the rest to Bristol which gets in at 2pm Friday. We still would have to take a cab ride to Wells(hour +). Then the hotels would cost around 160 US per night. Didn't check food cost and whatever but I figure all in alll 5000US plus. For 4 days in England (two just for traveling) and for 4 hours with RDA and AT?
    That is a lot of money! It's costing me less than that for my entire trip to Vancouver, including spending money. I didn't realize overseas flights were so expensive! Wow...well, good luck with that, trupi! Maybe you can find cheaper flights on Expedia or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
      OK thanks!
      Now I think you can have relationships between 2 officers if they don't work for the same people? Right?
      So, Jack being head of Homeworld Security is still Sam's superior?
      If Sam had to report directly to the President or someone that has nothing to do with HS would that still mean she's in Jack's direct chain of command and can't have a relationship with him?
      You following?
      Do you mean that if the chain of command was

Sam -> Landry -> Hammond -> President Hayes
      instead of
      Sam -> Landry -> Jack -> Hammond -> President Hayes

or whatever it is now, the regs wouldn't apply?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Well just checked British airways. Round trip for me and my husband is 2900 US. One flight goes to London and then we fly the rest to Bristol which gets in at 2pm Friday. We still would have to take a cab ride to Wells(hour +). Then the hotels would cost around 160 US per night. Didn't check food cost and whatever but I figure all in alll 5000US plus. For 4 days in England (two just for traveling) and for 4 hours with RDA and AT?
        Wow!! I thought €500 was pricey!! 5 grand, that's ridiculous for four days!!

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
          It's such a pity that two people in that situation would find it so difficult to have a relationship - I mean, I understand why the regs are there, but it still seems unfair. I'd like to think Sam and Jack's years of saving the planet will have bought them some brownie points!
          I wonder if an arrangement would have been made, given everything they have done for the planet, if one of them had broached the subject.

Maybe Sam could have been given a position (Science Officer or something) that would have her reporting directly to Hammond on base and to Jack only when they were offworld and that, provided there were no problems arising from their involvment, they would be able to have a relationship while on the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Do you mean that if the chain of command was

Sam -> Landry -> Hammond -> President Hayes
            instead of
            Sam -> Landry -> Jack -> Hammond -> President Hayes

or whatever it is now, the regs wouldn't apply?
            Yeah something like that. Another solution would be that she still had to report to Area 51. But I don't know if Area 51 is part of Jack's job or not.

Comment

Yeah something like that. Another solution would be that she still had to report to Area 51. But I don't know if Area 51 is part of Jack's job or not.
              I think Area 51 falls under the umbrella of Homeworld Security, but perhaps an arrangement could be made that Sam-related matters would be dealt with by Hammond to protect her and Jack from allegations of favouritism.

Comment

I wonder if an arrangement would have been made, given everything they have done for the planet, if one of them had broached the subject.

Maybe Sam could have been given a position (Science Officer or something) that would have her reporting directly to Hammond on base and to Jack only when they were offworld and that, provided there were no problems arising from their involvment, they would be able to have a relationship while on the same team.
                Having her reporting to Jack while off-world wouldn't be a good idea. Their feelings could still come between them if it's a life/death situation.
                The best is that she would always report to Hammond. But Hammond being a good comanding officer wouldn't let them on the same team. Even if he personally knew there wouldn't be a problem with them on the same team. It would be looked bad upon by the higher ups. And it would be taken as favouritism from those on base.

Comment

Having her reporting to Jack while off-world wouldn't be a good idea. Their feelings could still come between them if it's a life/death situation.
                  The best is that she would always report to Hammond. But Hammond being a good comanding officer wouldn't let them on the same team. Even if he personally knew there wouldn't be a problem with them on the same team. It would be looked bad upon by the higher ups. And it would be taken as favouritism from those on base.
                  It would be impossible for Sam to serve on SG-1 with Jack without having to report to him while offworld, but if Hammond was handling her performance evaluations, any recommendations for commedations, promotions or any reprimands, Jack wouldn't be able favour her or protect her as far as they went.

Serving on the same team would still be a sticky point, but really the whole team would have been separated long ago in real life because they are all closer than the regs would like. A wary eye would have to be kept on how they were getting on, to make sure that Sam and Jack weren't concentrating on the other's safety at the expense of Daniel and Teal'c's, with the understanding that they would be separated if their relationship began to pose a problem.

Comment

I think that even if they were allowed to persue a relationship, it wouldn't really affect their work on SG-1. Their feelings would still be the same, only now everyone would know about it. They haven't let it get in the way before, and I don't think they would after starting something together.

I just wish they could be together and be happy-no ifs, ands, or buts!

Comment

It would be impossible for Sam to serve on SG-1 with Jack without having to report to him while offworld, but if Hammond was handling her performance evaluations, any recommendations for commedations, promotions or any reprimands, Jack wouldn't be able favour her or protect her as far as they went.

Serving on the same team would still be a sticky point, but really the whole team would have been separated long ago in real life because they are all closer than the regs would like. A wary eye would have to be kept on how they were getting on, to make sure that Sam and Jack weren't concentrating on the other's safety at the expense of Daniel and Teal'c's, with the understanding that they would be separated if their relationship began to pose a problem.
                      They're close but I think Hammond understands that their closeness helped them a lot. He lets Sam and Jack on the same team because he knows they never acted upon their feelings and never will as long as the regulations would stand.

The only way I could see them together is if one of them retire. Jack could lead the SGC as a civilian but there still would be the whole favouritism by some people. Now if Sam retires I know they wouldn't let her go like that and certainly offer her a job as a scientist maybe the head scientist. And if she's the head scientist then she reports to those at Area 51 anyway. I think.
                      Of course she wouldn't go off-world anymore.

Comment

Now what goodies do I get from GW for reaching my 2000 post?

Is that ok ?
                        Congratulations on your 2000 posts

Comment

They're close but I think Hammond understands that their closeness helped them a lot. He lets Sam and Jack on the same team because he knows they never acted upon their feelings and never will as long as the regulations would stand.

The only way I could see them together is if one of them retire. Jack could lead the SGC as a civilian but there still would be the whole favouritism by some people. Now if Sam retires I know they wouldn't let her go like that and certainly offer her a job as a scientist maybe the head scientist. And if she's the head scientist then she reports to those at Area 51 anyway. I think.
                          If Sam, as a civilian, was part of SG-1 when Jack was in command, would they have been allowed to have a relationship?

Even having military Sam on another team mightn't have been a solution - Jack would still have been 2IC of the whole SGC.

Comment

WOOHOO! Congrats on 2000!!! .... be looking for some green and no unfortunately, not the green you can get to Wells England with.

Comment

I really like this idea! But why couldn’t she go off world anymore? Haven’t other non military scientist been able to go off world when they needed them?

Comment

Originally posted by AllGoodThings...
                                I really like this idea! But why couldn’t she go off world anymore? Haven’t other non military scientist been able to go off world when they needed them?
                                I wonder if they could get around the regs by assigning Sam to the labs, either as a civilian or as an Air Force officer, and having her pretty much permanently on loan to SG-1 but answerable to Hammond rather than to Jack.

Wow - post number 2,400.

Comment

Working...
                                X