• Show
Clear All

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY UHSIR"
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer
      Doesn't that document also show Jack as "John" when we all know he is "Jonathan?" (From where, though)
      If I remember correctly, the only place Jonathan was ever used was on MGM promotional material. I don't think it was ever used in the series.

Comment

Happy Birthday, UhSir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gwenhwyfar
          I like the name Samanda...but then i would also name my daughter Gwenhwyfar or Andromeda...

If it started out only for slash then when did it become common for Het?

I have also seen x between the names for slash. Like Teal'cxDaniel.
          Well, Samanda is a made up name, IMO, and Andromeda is not and maybe Gwenhwyfar is the Welsh form of some name (is it?). I have always disliked made up names and people changing spelling, just my quirk. For instance, Michaela is a perfectly good name that has been changed to MyKala, etc. I suppose Samanda could be just a different spelling of Samantha, or possibly a name from a language with which I'm not familiar. I've never seen it in baby books Though it's used by fans of AT as Sam + Amanda.

I was told about the origin of the term "Slash" by someone who was familiar with the beginnings of ST fanfiction. You'd think the "/" would have been used with the het pairings, too,like Spock/Christine, and maybe it was, but there was a need , probably for a short simple word to describe slash, rather than a longer description,so slash it become. There was no need for a word to describe het relationships then, I guess. Ship is a fairly new term, I've been told. It wasn't around when I was into TESB and ROTJ.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Uhsir!!!

Here's a little Birthday poem:

May this year be great for you
            And all your shipper dreams come true
            RDA is coming back
            To reprise his role as Jack
            Sparks will fly between he and Sam
            Squees will fill this Shipper Land
            I wonder if your birthday wish
            Is for one Big Honkin' Kiss!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UHSIR!!!!
            Last edited by L.A. Doyle; 29 May 2006, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer
              Well, Samanda is a made up name, IMO, and Andromeda is not and maybe Gwenhwyfar is the Welsh form of some name (is it?). I have always disliked made up names and people changing spelling, just my quirk. For instance, Michaela is a perfectly good name that has been changed to MyKala, etc. I suppose Samanda could be just a different spelling of Samantha, or possibly a name from a language with which I'm not familiar. I've never seen it in baby books Though it's used by fans of AT as Sam + Amanda.
              Gwenhwyfar is the Welsh spelling of Guinevere. It's used in the book The Mists of Avalon.
              Actually, I have always seen a lot of similarities between the Gwen/Lancelet storyline and Sam/Jack.

I looked on three different name sites and could not find it. I just like strange names so...

I was told about the origin of the term "Slash" by someone who was familiar with the beginnings of ST fanfiction. You'd think the "/" would have been used with the het pairings, too,like Spock/Christine, and maybe it was, but there was a need , probably for a short simple word to describe slash, rather than a longer description,so slash it become. There was no need for a word to describe het relationships then, I guess. Ship is a fairly new term, I've been told. It wasn't around when I was into TESB and ROTJ.

I heard the term ship when I got into this fandom. I had not encountered it when I was into ST: Voyager or TXF.

Speaking of Voyager I got to get back to work on my Voyager fic...

Spoiler:
              Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Originally posted by Bex Calo
                hey all this may be a completely dumb question but what is a fanzine? i love fanfiction and seem to have read most fics up dry, is there more on fanzines and where do i find them?
                bex
                It looks like no one has answered your question and I may be the only on here who even has any fanzines (albeit old ones). So, in a lengthy manner--fanzines are collections of fanfic(from various shows, tho orginally just plain sci-fi stories not connected to shows) in print form. "Fan magazines." They ranged from rough looking sheets of paper stapled together to zines printed in print shops. I suppose the computer has taken over now.
                . Before the internet that was how people got their fic, by hearing about the zines from the compiling editor, who was also a fan,and buying them. If one of your stories, poems, filks, illos was selected, you got the zine free. People lent zines out to friends and also sold zines they didn't want to keep to other fans. There was even a fan in California who started a loan library.

I got a "blast from the past" recently when an editor sent me a flyer for a zine (not SG). Hadn't been in contact for years.

As far as how to buy them, don't really know, but in some of the lists of various fanfic prize winners there are lists of winning zine stories. There must be a way to contact the contest and ask them how to contact the editors of the zines.

Maybe you could also "google" the word fanzine and see what you find. And then maybe there are some internet fanfic sites new to you.

Comment

Terrah, just thought I'd let you know that all day it's been "Four to the floor...." It's stuck and just won't go away!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                    Oh, Wally World...my favorite store ever! How cute would it be to see Sam and Jack doing something as mundane as shopping? Do heroes do that?
                    Yes, but they're shopping for zat rechargers and night-vision goggles!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      Yes, but they're shopping for zat rechargers and night-vision goggles!
                      Add to that list blue jello, pie, cake, a yoyo, and any number of other cool doohickeys.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir
                        Another video for you all... This one is a joint effort between Ginalynn71 and me. It contains scenes though season 8.

http://uhsirsg1a4.tripod.com/

Song: If Tomorrow Never Comes
                        Sung by: Garth Brooks
                        Lovely job--both of you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                          Add to that list blue jello, pie, cake, a yoyo, and any number of other cool doohickeys.
                          Yes.....lots and lots of cool doohickeys!!! Tee-hee!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                            well then lets name it lollipop!!!! (sorry)
                            LOL! That's what I was thinking when I read the 'good ship' part. Had to stifle my giggles as I'm in a library.

On the good ship Lollipop, its a nice trip to the candy shop...

You know, leaving the candy shop part out...

Edit: PS Happy Birthday UhSir!
                            Last edited by hopalong; 29 May 2006, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Moeibus part two is on...

I think they did a great job with their alternate selves! I love Geek!Sam. And you could soo tell right away Alternate Timeline!Sam and Jack were attracted to each other.

Also..time to play Spot The Pregnancy Bump!
                              Seriously, soime scenes you can soo tell, lol!

Spoiler:
                              Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Oh i love the episode.. i think everyone does
                                Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                                Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Working...
                                X