This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrah
    I have been together with my hubby for years and we have the same age gap, 15 years. Makes no difference. Sam was about 30 when she met Jack and he was around 45. So no problems there.
    And there's virtually 20 years between me and my husband (19 years, 7 months and 3 weeks to be exact ). As long as the chemistry is there-which it clearly is with Sam and Jack-then age gaps are irrelevant.
    always and forever
    My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
    My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Welcome Lhinneill!
      always and forever
      My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
      My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Hey-I know this is waay off topic-but i just had to vent.

anybody who is considering using 1800 flowers don't. their customer service is the worst and they take no responsibility for their products.

we had used them for 16 years and never a problem-but now they have lost a customer that each year was good for 2 purchases a year.

grumble grumble

thank you for your indulgence, i now return you to your regular channel program.

anybody read the blog about how wonderfully action oriented this season of sg-1 and sga will be???

what-is he kidding?

the fact that there is real silence about this season-especially sg-1 tells me they are playing this close to the vest because they are concerned.

I may be wrong-but notice-no information after the quest.
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Welcome, Lhinniell! I think I have all of you beat. My husband is 23 years, one month, and 4 days older. Plus we probably have to add 6 more days for leap years. (I counted back from known ones and came up with 6). Neither of us was very good at chemistry but we aced biology.

Comment

I'm not married but age differences have never bothered me in relationships. If both are of age then why should it matter?

Plus, we all know what it was like when Sam did date someone around her age, . Disaster and no chemestry. And Sam acts older then her age and Jack acts younger so...it works out.

Spoiler:
            Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              i always thought that it was about 10 years. in "brief candle" jack says that he's 40 years old. we don't know how old sam is. we could assume that she was 30 in season one, or we could assume she was one or two years younger, but considering how she looks, i don't think we could reasonably assume she's any older.

so i always go with about 10-12 years assuming sam was around 28-30 at the start of the show. i can't assume that she would have been younger than that because even sam wouldn't have accomplished everything she did within the military by that time. i'd say she had at least one degree before joining the air force though.

thats just what made the most sense to me.
              There's really no way to tell for sure how far apart they are, because the show has vacillated on their birth dates and ages over the years. But if Sam flew in the Gulf war, which she says in the premier, she'd almost *have* to be older than 30. Figure she graduated at 18, four years of college took her to 22, plus at least four extra years to get her doctorate. That's 26. Then, enter the military, and flight school, and on and on. I can't see her going through all the flight training necessary in just six years from boot camp to flight.

This is probably full of flaws, but that's why I've always figured she was at least 32 or 34 when she met Jack in the premier. As for Jack himself, yes, he said he was 40 in Brief Candle (season 1), but he could easily have been rounding off, and I think by S5 or S6, it was said that he was 48, so he gained some years between seasons. That or, like I said, he was rounding off. <g>

From my estimation, they're somewhere between ten and fifteen years apart, but I don't think any more. (There's definitely more between the actors, but that's redundant at this point. <g>)

Suffice it to say, as somebody else has already stated, at this point in their lives, age doesn't matter if it's really love. If they were 15 and 25 or 30, yes, it would matter. But not once you're into your 30's and 40's.
              - Mary
              SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
              Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
                There's really no way to tell for sure how far apart they are, because the show has vacillated on their birth dates and ages over the years. But if Sam flew in the Gulf war, which she says in the premier, she'd almost *have* to be older than 30. Figure she graduated at 18, four years of college took her to 22, plus at least four extra years to get her doctorate. That's 26. Then, enter the military, and flight school, and on and on. I can't see her going through all the flight training necessary in just six years from boot camp to flight.

This is probably full of flaws, but that's why I've always figured she was at least 32 or 34 when she met Jack in the premier. As for Jack himself, yes, he said he was 40 in Brief Candle (season 1), but he could easily have been rounding off, and I think by S5 or S6, it was said that he was 48, so he gained some years between seasons. That or, like I said, he was rounding off. <g>

From my estimation, they're somewhere between ten and fifteen years apart, but I don't think any more. (There's definitely more between the actors, but that's redundant at this point. <g>)

Suffice it to say, as somebody else has already stated, at this point in their lives, age doesn't matter if it's really love. If they were 15 and 25 or 30, yes, it would matter. But not once you're into your 30's and 40's.

I always thought Sam might have skipped a grade or two. She is just soo smart I can see her skipping.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by gwenhwyfar
                  I'm not married but age differences have never bothered me in relationships. If both are of age then why should it matter?
                  Exactly. If we were talking about a pre-series relationship when Sam was a teenager it would be another story, but they're both adults.

Plus, we all know what it was like when Sam did date someone around her age, . Disaster and no chemestry. And Sam acts older then her age and Jack acts younger so...it works out.
                  Martouf was over a hundred. He was old enough to be Sam's great-grandfather.

Next to that, a sixteen year age difference isn't much.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

BTW, I'm writing this from Mediawest. Somebody here has a Daniel/Mitchell door, and I have to admit, my first thoughts upon seeing it were, Good! Put those two together and leave Sam and Jack to themselves!

<evil laugh>
                    - Mary
                    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

I always thought Sam might have skipped a grade or two. She is just soo smart I can see her skipping.
                      I'd say so. If she was lucky enough to have teachers that recognized her potential, she could have graduated high school a few years early, maybe even fit in a primary degree before she joined the Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                        I'd say so. If she was lucky enough to have teachers that recognized her potential, she could have graduated high school a few years early, maybe even fit in a primary degree before she joined the Air Force.
                        I can see her geting a two year degree before then. But knowing her she got it in one year!

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
                          Given the Entity birthdate (29th December 1968), Sam could have graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1990 and she would have earned a bachelor degree there. This timeline would allow her to have flown in the Gulf War as a young lieutenant. She would have started work with the Stargate around 1994, so she could have fit in her doctorate during the missing three years, thereby attracting the attention of Catherine Langford and the others involved with the stargate.

As far as Jack is concerned, I believe that he would have had to have been in the Air Force twenty years before being eligible for promotion to full colonel, a rank he had held for over a year, at minimum, by "Children Of The Gods", so it would have been impossible for him to be forty in "Brief Candle", so he was almost certainly rounding down his age - possibly because Kynthia didn't have the best grasp of the concept of years.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                            me too. i always thought that she had graduated from high school early, maybe with even some basic college courses too, and finished (at least one of) her degree(s) early. it is possible to do this kind of stuff at your own pace. and i'd figure she would have done her doctorate quicker than the average bear too.

Comment

me too. i always thought that she had graduated from high school early, maybe with even some basic college courses too, and finished (at least one of) her degree(s) early. it is possible to do this kind of stuff at your own pace. and i'd figure she would have done her doctorate quicker than the average bear too.
                              In all likelihood.

I don't know much about the Air Force Academy, but is it possible that if somebody already possessed a primary degree when they enrolled, that they would be allowed to pursue a Masters degree or a doctorate during their time there?

If so, Sam could have got her doctorate even earlier than I estimated.

Comment

True. Most degrees are two years. I can see her taking more than a full load (three classes) and finishing early.

It is possible to go at your own pace. I just got my GED in two quarters! (Sorry, OT, but I found out today and I am really excited!)

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X