This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwenhwyfar
    I've read it and didn't like it. I don't know why.
    Well, we can't all like the same things all of the time (except of course!).

I find sometimes the writing style or even the plot (or lack thereof) turns me off of a story. (Not usually completely because once I start reading I have to find out how it ends. Can we say "obsessive compulsive" boys and girls?)

Fortunately there are plenty of fics out there to keep us all happy.

Speaking of - your first try at an NC-17 went well. I'll be keeping my eye out for more.
    sigpic
    Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
      made a sig
      http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...hemsigdone.jpg
      i was on some anti thread and someone was saying how AT and RDA have no chemistry and that's why sj ship doesn't work. i, being the...person...that i am, decided to remedy that by making a sig the person will never see.
      I love the sig.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sugarshaker
        I can't remember who it was, but someone once suggested a scene like at the beginning of Lost City. Jack is shaving and as he wipes off the mirror, we see Sam in the reflection coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around him. I could sooooo get into that.
        I'd love to see this scene. The bed scene would be good,
        Spoiler:
        but since it's already been done with Kerry,
        I'd rather have the shaving one.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
          made a sig

i was on some anti thread and someone was saying how AT and RDA have no chemistry and that's why sj ship doesn't work. i, being the...person...that i am, decided to remedy that by making a sig the person will never see.
          Excellent!

Now put it in your sig already so we can admire it every time you post
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1
            Excellent!

Now put it in your sig already so we can admire it every time you post
            sorry. samanda one beat you. i'll get a rotation going when i get off my lazy arse again.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1

I find sometimes the writing style or even the plot (or lack thereof) turns me off of a story. (Not usually completely because once I start reading I have to find out how it ends. Can we say "obsessive compulsive" boys and girls?)

Speaking of - your first try at an NC-17 went well. I'll be keeping my eye out for more.
              Me too. I guess my problem with that one was the way it was written. I'm kinda picky when it comes to fics. Especially higher rated ones.

And thanks! I actually have one or two more NC-17 fics in the idea stages...

Spoiler:
              Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Me too. I guess my problem with that one was the way it was written. I'm kinda picky when it comes to fics. Especially higher rated ones.

And thanks! I actually have one or two more NC-17 fics in the idea stages...
                And now that the TV's been safely moved....
                sigpic

Comment

I thought I was the only one! How exciting to find another 'must-finish' reader. The buckets of horrible stories I've read completely because of this compulsion.

Hi!

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                    I'd love to see this scene. The bed scene would be good,
                    Spoiler:
                    but since it's already been done with Kerry,
                    I'd rather have the shaving one.
                    It would kind of be like things coming full circle.

sigpic
                    s u g a r s h a k e r

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                      I thought I was the only one! How exciting to find another 'must-finish' reader. The buckets of horrible stories I've read completely because of this compulsion.

Hi!
                      *Waves* Halloo! I'm not the only weird person!

I usually end up skimming through a story I don't like instead of reading everything word for word, but it Must. Be. Finished.

The worst is when I'm re-reading a novel and it's very late at night and I should be sleeping. I still have to finish reading it. Why, because the ending might have changed while it was sitting on my bookshelf?!
                      sigpic

Comment

The Moonlighting Syndrome.The excuse all Writers use for not resolving Ship.Talented Writers should have no problem with Ship.We put a Man on the Moon and yet we cannot write for two TV characters in a relationship without the Show falling apart.Maybe the reason Moonlighting did not work is because the two lead characters could not stand each other.

Comment

*Waves* Halloo! I'm not the only weird person!

I usually end up skimming through a story I don't like instead of reading everything word for word, but it Must. Be. Finished.

The worst is when I'm re-reading a novel and it's very late at night and I should be sleeping. I still have to finish reading it. Why, because the ending might have changed while it was sitting on my bookshelf?!
                          I'm the same way! Some books I've read like, ten times, but I stll stay up reading it! I know how it will end but I don't know, maybe Gwenhwyfar and Lancelet will end up happily ever after or the government will believe Ellie and The Five?! (The books I'm refering to are The Mists of Avalon and Contact.)

Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Spoiler:

Comment

I'm the same way! Some books I've read like, ten times, but I stll stay up reading it! I know how it will end but I don't know, maybe Gwenhwyfar and Lancelet will end up happily ever after or the government will believe Ellie and The Five?! (The books I'm refering to are The Mists of Avalon and Contact.)

Nice to know I'm not the only one!
                            Nope! Somehow I've never read The Mists of Avalon - although it seems like it would be right up my alley. Hm, would a trip to the bookstore at 9:00 p.m. let me get any sleep tonight? No, I should go tomorrow. But I have Contact at home, so maybe I'll just read a bit........ doh!

Edit: On-topic I swear. Look ->
                            sigpic

Comment

Nope! Somehow I've never read The Mists of Avalon - although it seems like it would be right up my alley. Hm, would a trip to the bookstore at 9:00 p.m. let me get any sleep tonight? No, I should go tomorrow. But I have Contact at home, so maybe I'll just read a bit........ doh!

Edit: On-topic I swear. Look ->
                              Contact is my favorite book ever. I first read it ten years ago and have loved it since. It's slow but worth reading.

I highly reccomend The Mists of Avalon! It is basically the Aurther legend told from the womens' point of view. And the Gwenhwyfar/Lancelet storyline has always reminded me of Sam and Jack. How they choose duty over desire. *sigh* Hopefully Sam and Jack will have a happier ending...

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1
                                Just watched the last scene of Lost City with the subtitles. In the chair after Sam calls him Jack, he works his jaw a few times but doesn't actually say anything (anybody lip-read ancient??), then he just says "Dormata". In the chamber he says "Aveo....amacuse". So I thought he doesn't declare his love for Sam

Then I checked out a Latin dictionary online - here's the refs I could find. I couldn't find the exact wording, but I'm assuming that's cos ancient is slightly different to Latin

Stem: dorm
                                dormio -ire [to sleep; to rest , be inactive].
                                dormito -are [to be sleepy , begin to sleep, nod; to dream, be lazy].
                                dormitorius -a -um [for sleeping].

ending: at
                                v *at 1 3s pr act ind : the X sees, he does see, she is seeing
                                v *at 2-5 3s pr act sub : he might see, he would be seeing.

ending: a
                                feminine

aveo (1) -ere [to long for , desire].
                                aveo (2) (haveo) -ere [to be well]; found only in imperat. and infin.; 'ave' , [hail! or farewell!].

Stem: amat
                                amator -oris m. [a lover , friend, admirer]; esp.[the lover of a woman].
                                amatorius -a -um [loving , amorous]; n. as subst. [a love philtre]. Adv. amatorie.
                                amatrix -icis f. [mistress , sweetheart].

Sooooooooo fellow shippers, let's pick the translation we like the most

In the chair

Sam: Jack!
                                Jack: I will dream of you....I will see you again.

In the chamber

(For Sam) Jack: I long for you, my lover.
                                (For D&T) Jack: Farewell, Friends.

Suddenly, I'm very happy this morning See how sly tptb are? Initially, we all think he's just saying, Sleep and Goodbye, but really its soooooo shippy

An Ancient - you deserve a great big helping of Purple Jello for starting this conversation!

Edit: If anyone wants to check it out, here's the site I used http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

just watched TLC2 again.

Daniel translated Jacks last words to sam and T´ as " Goodbye"
                                but didn´t he have some ...look that said that he doese translate it the "simple" way...why should he do that?

anyway:
                                Attached Files

I`d rather died myself...than loose Carter

O'NEILL: Carter, there are people on this base who have families.
                                CARTER: What about you? If things had been different ...
                                O'NEILL: I wouldn't be here.

Comment

Working...
                                X