This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatetrixer
    I'm not up these days on Catholic doctine regarding divorced people remarrying, but I have wondered when I read fanfic having them getting married by a priest. Jack is supposed to be Irish-American (acc. to his ex father-in-law and his name) so you might suppose he was Catholic and married in the Catholic Church. But that is just supposition. And recently AT said Sam's tags said Sam was Catholic. Anybody know if Jack could be married by a priest if he is divorced and (a) his first marriage took place in the Catholic
    Church, or (b) was not married in the Church in his first marriage?

I'm not trying to start a religious discussion here, just interested, so hoping these questions do not offend anyone. And it would be nice if they were married by a chaplain (even nicer if we ever got to see them married at all!!)
    If his first marriage did not take place in the Catholic church, then yes, he could get remarried in the church. If his first marriage *was* in the Catholic church, he could go through channels and might be granted an annullment by the church (which isn't the same as the law), which would also let him be married in the church again. (Annullment requests are taken on a case-by-case basis, and there aren't really rules they follow. It has mostly to do with where they believe the hearts of the couple were and what their intent was when they took their vows. So, for instance, if they only initially got married because Sara was pregnant with Charlie, that would probably be cause for an annullment - they never had a marriage as the sacrement describes it.)

I know a woman who was married to a man in the church for 10+ years, they had kids and a regular marriage until they broke up. I also know another man who was divorced from his wife because she stopped "sleeping" with him. Both were granted annullments. Only the committee that grants or refuses annullments truly knows why one case may get approved and another gets turned down.

And, as somebody already mentioned, if they couldn't get married in the church, there's always a possibility of another minister doing the ceremony and the marriage being blessed by a priest later. I don't know a lot about that possibility, or weather it's just as valid of a marriage in the church as one performed by apriest.

I also don't know how the military works, but if MASH is any example (yes, sad, I know), then the chaplain assigned to the base - whatever his denomination - would have the authority to perform a ceremony in any Faith. This is set up so all faiths have their religious ceremonies when only one chaplain is assigned to each unit. (And if they have just one chaplain informed of the SGC and its big secret, they're surely not going to bring in another one.)

On a side note, I would enjoy seeing Jack and Sam go through pre-Cana. <vbg>
    Last edited by Buc252; 22 March 2006, 06:21 PM.
    - Mary
    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
      The Catholic Church looks at marriage as a Sacrament. In the eyes of the Church, a valid marriage is one where both parties have entered into it for all the right reasons and with proper intentions. An annulment determines if the marriage was a valid Sacrament at the time of the marriage. It has nothing to do with anything that happens after the ceremony.

For instance, if a couple enters into a marriage stating intentions to have children, which the Church encourages, but the husband didn't really want children and they divorce over it, the Church would admit they didn't have a valid marriage. There are many things that can effect an annulment. It's a long drawn out process and requires witnesses to attest to the state of mind of both parties. They also consider marriages in other faiths to be valid and sometimes require an annulment proceeding for a non-Catholic.

I had a friend whose wedding had to be put off twice because they were trying to get an annulment for her Baptist fiance.

Once married in the Church, because pre-cana counseling and classes are required, an annulment is difficult. Mine failed because I couldn't get enough witnesses for a marriage that took place over twenty years ago and lasted only a couple of years.

Jack and Sam would probably marry in a civil ceremony or in another denomination. I don't see Jack available for a Church wedding. His and Sara's marriage was a good one until Charlie's death. I doubt there would have been extenuating circumstances before the wedding.

I could see them being married by a Protestant clergyman. Probably some of them would be willing to do the ceremony, and some not, depending on the denomination and the clergyman himself. They'd have to ask around and very likely a Protestant chaplain would be willing, also. Wouldn't be surprised if they would be required to have some sort of pre-nuptial class or talks. But I also could see them having a civil official, and I have in the past pushed for a surprise quickie wedding. Why wait?

The funny thing is reading these replies to my question jogged my memory. (must be in sad shape). Anyway, I now remember a friend of my daughter's asking her to fill out something so this friend could get an annulment.
      She was surprised to be asked since she knew nothing that she thought would help. Guess others did, however, because she got the annulment pretty quickly and remarried. I don't know if either the first or second husband was Catholic, but the friend was and I'm pretty sure the weddings were in the Catholic church.
      Last edited by Gatetrixer; 22 March 2006, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
        I think that a civil ceremony would be the only viable way for them to get married. Sam's Catholic (or her dogtags are wrong...one of the two) whereas I think I read that Jack's an athiest.

Obviously I'm no expert on religion, so maybe people should just ignore this post.
        Ignore you ? Nah, never
        I guess if Jack's marriage to Sarah wasn't a church wedding or in another denomination they could marry in church. My aunt had a catholic church wedding even though my uncle was divorced .
        But somehow I see them having a small civil ceremony surrounded by close friends and family, totally irrelevant as we will never see it on an episode. I would be quite happy if they just let it slip accidentaly during S10 that they are already married , at least it would mean they act like balanced, normal grown ups

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
          Anyone see on the GateWorld HomePage under latst headlines about the Actor who played Narim? I just hope Narim does not return.I for one had enough of the Sam's Man Friends.
          Spoiler:
          After Ripple Effect I would not put it past TPTB.Maybe there will be an almost Kiss between Sam/Narim
          The actor must be busy shuttling between Tollana as Narim (if he's still alive) and earth playing
          Spoiler:
          Wier's boyfriend or ex boyfriend, whatever.

I haven't read the article about the actor yet, but suppose Wier's boyfriend comes to the mountain to ask about her? Sees Sam and says "Didn't I know you in another life?"

OMG, just read the article and so help me if
          Spoiler:
          the complete interview to come says what the article is hinting at, the shippers and armed penguins should march on Vancouver.
          Last edited by Gatetrixer; 22 March 2006, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jafacakes
            Ignore you ? Nah, never
            I guess if Jack's marriage to Sarah wasn't a church wedding or in another denomination they could marry in church. My aunt had a catholic church wedding even though my uncle was divorced .
            But somehow I see them having a small civil ceremony surrounded by close friends and family, totally irrelevant as we will never see it on an episode. I would be quite happy if they just let it slip accidentaly during S10 that they are already married , at least it would mean they act like balanced, normal grown ups
            Even if they were married Catholic, it wouldn't have to be a big production. You can actually be married Catholic with just the priest, the couple, and two witnesses in attendence in a 10 or 15-minute ceremony (even in the rectory not the church!) - not much different than a civil ceremony. It's just that most Catholics choose to have the entire Wedding Mass to share the joy and the sacrement. But it wouldn't be necessary.
            - Mary
            SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
            Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Happy belated birthday Lys

Happy Birthday Trupi

Comment

I have nothing against the Actor I just think it is a bad idea to have the
                Spoiler:
                same Actor play two different characters in the Stargate Universe.
                I always though Narim was creppy. All of Sam's Man Friends were too needy.I really hope we have Seen the last of Narim.I also hope we have seen the last of AU on SG-1.That will never happen.

Comment

I have nothing against the Actor I just think it is a bad idea to have the
                  Spoiler:
                  same Actor play two different characters in the Stargate Universe.
                  I always though Narim was creppy. All of Sam's Man Friends were too needy.I really hope we have Seen the last of Narim.I also hope we have seen the last of AU on SG-1.That will never happen.
                  Yeah, I actually liked the actor as Simon in SGA, esp after he grew out his hair. He was very human. Narim was anoying

Comment

Um, I have a request. I have a friend looking for a story, for research purposes.... It's a sort of fantasy thing where Jack turns into a wereworlf and goes crazy and Sam becomes his mate. And they escape the SGC and they cook up this antidote... it took place during Pete era because Pete catches them together. If anyone knows the name and/or where to find it please let me know

Comment

Happy Birthday to Lys and Trupi.

Comment

Originally posted by melpomene
                        Um, I have a request. I have a friend looking for a story, for research purposes.... It's a sort of fantasy thing where Jack turns into a wereworlf and goes crazy and Sam becomes his mate. And they escape the SGC and they cook up this antidote... it took place during Pete era because Pete catches them together. If anyone knows the name and/or where to find it please let me know
                        Ahhhhhhh, I read that story. No memory of the title!! Sorry!!
                        sigpic

Comment

SAM AND JACK SAY
                          HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TRUPI!!!

sigpic

Comment

Anyone see on the GateWorld HomePage under latst headlines about the Actor who played Narim? I just hope Narim does not return.I for one had enough of the Sam's Man Friends.
                            Spoiler:
                            After Ripple Effect I would not put it past TPTB.Maybe there will be an almost Kiss between Sam/Narim
                            of course we have to expect it. joe faxon will prob be next. (thinks who's left). oh, let's not forget the unbelievably believable pete shanahan, that'll prob return.

/sarcasm

season 10 the continuing open season on shippers???

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

There coming out of the woodwork Sally.Any Male guest Star that said two words to the Sam character will probably be in Season 10.

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                                Ahhhhhhh, I read that story. No memory of the title!! Sorry!!
                                Well thanks anyhew nell

Comment

Working...
                                X