This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buc252
    Call me old fashioned, but I'd want to see them married by a clergyman. Maybe an Air Force Chaplan, somebody already assigned to the SGC that we've just never seen. I think there's gotta be at least one. <g>

I'm not up these days on Catholic doctine regarding divorced people remarrying, but I have wondered when I read fanfic having them getting married by a priest. Jack is supposed to be Irish-American (acc. to his ex father-in-law and his name) so you might suppose he was Catholic and married in the Catholic Church. But that is just supposition. And recently AT said Sam's tags said Sam was Catholic. Anybody know if Jack could be married by a priest if he is divorced and (a) his first marriage took place in the Catholic
    Church, or (b) was not married in the Church in his first marriage?

I'm not trying to start a religious discussion here, just interested, so hoping these questions do not offend anyone. And it would be nice if they were married by a chaplain (even nicer if we ever got to see them married at all!!)

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
      Sorry, I didn't read the post before mine. We obviously are talking about the same thing. Hopefully good news.
      Anyone figured out the approx. time that ep would be filmed?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer
        I'm not up these days on Catholic doctine regarding divorced people remarrying, but I have wondered when I read fanfic having them getting married by a priest. Jack is supposed to be Irish-American (acc. to his ex father-in-law and his name) so you might suppose he was Catholic and married in the Catholic Church. But that is just supposition. And recently AT said Sam's tags said Sam was Catholic. Anybody know if Jack could be married by a priest if he is divorced and (a) his first marriage took place in the Catholic

I'm not trying to start a religious discussion here, just interested, so hoping these questions do not offend anyone. And it would be nice if they were married by a chaplain (even nicer if we ever got to see them married at all!!)
        I haven't been a Catholic since I was thirteen or fourteen, but a lot of these kind of questions were thrashed out when divorce was first legalized in Ireland.

To the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Church doesn't recognize divorce, so unless Jack was able to get an annulment or dissolution, he would still be married to Sara in the eyes of the Church until she died, so Jack and Sam would not be able to be married by a Catholic priest while Sara was alive.

I don't know if Jack and Sara being married in a civil ceremony would change anything, or if Sara getting remarried would make a difference.

I think that there is a kind of compromise available - the union is a civil one, but a priest will bless it - but I'm not certain.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

No matter if Jack got married in a Catholic Church or not, he would not be able to marry sam in a catholic church as they are strictly against divorce and the outcomes of it (i.e. remarrying)

a anglican church might marry them but if they are are catholic it would be dountful! plus if i had money on it i would say either a quicky in vegas or in front of the stargate performed by hammond or someone
          Adama and Roslin........ watch one episode and you'll see what i mean! so much more than words!

Comment

Anyone figured out the approx. time that ep would be filmed?
            Well, last year, AT came back from maternity leave in time for the sixth episode of season 9. If I remember correctly, that was in the middle of May, approximately 2 months after they started filming. So if they are running to the same schedule this year, the 200th episode (the sixth epi of season 10, as far as I know), should be filmed around then.

Slightly of topic, but if I have remembered the date correctly, AT's little girl is 1 year old today. (22nd March).
            always and forever
            My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
            My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX

I think that there is a kind of compromise available - the union is a civil one, but a priest will bless it - but I'm not certain.
              That sounds about right and, to the best of my knowledge covers both Catholic and Protestant. My husband had been divorced (twice!) so we got married in a civil ceremony. He works at a Catholic College and, although neither of us are Catholic, the chaplain there offered to bless our marriage. I suspect that that is unusual and at least one of the couple would have to be Catholic. My husband is not religious at all and I was brought up a Methodist. We wouldn't have been allowed to get married in the Methodist Chapel, but in the end, that's where our marriage was blessed.
              always and forever
              My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
              My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

it might be quite cute if they got married on an asguard ship, they could get married on that raised bit with the huge window behind it. WHAT a view! and then Thor could beam them off on their honeymoon. he he!
                Edward ~ "And so the Lion fell in love with the Lamb."
                Bella ~ "What a stupid Lamb."
                Edward ~ "What a sick, masochistic Lion."

Comment

Let Thor marry them! That would be cool!
                  sigpic

Comment

"Joyeux Anniversaite Lys"

"Happy Birthday Lys"
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi
                      The very thought of that makes me laugh. Can u imaging Carter? She's have to like... bend down to take Thor's hand. LOL!!
                      sigpic
                      Past | LJ | Last.FM | IG

Comment

The Catholic Church looks at marriage as a Sacrament. In the eyes of the Church, a valid marriage is one where both parties have entered into it for all the right reasons and with proper intentions. An annulment determines if the marriage was a valid Sacrament at the time of the marriage. It has nothing to do with anything that happens after the ceremony.

For instance, if a couple enters into a marriage stating intentions to have children, which the Church encourages, but the husband didn't really want children and they divorce over it, the Church would admit they didn't have a valid marriage. There are many things that can effect an annulment. It's a long drawn out process and requires witnesses to attest to the state of mind of both parties. They also consider marriages in other faiths to be valid and sometimes require an annulment proceeding for a non-Catholic.

I had a friend whose wedding had to be put off twice because they were trying to get an annulment for her Baptist fiance.

Once married in the Church, because pre-cana counseling and classes are required, an annulment is difficult. Mine failed because I couldn't get enough witnesses for a marriage that took place over twenty years ago and lasted only a couple of years.

Jack and Sam would probably marry in a civil ceremony or in another denomination. I don't see Jack available for a Church wedding. His and Sara's marriage was a good one until Charlie's death. I doubt there would have been extenuating circumstances before the wedding.

Comment

I think that a civil ceremony would be the only viable way for them to get married. Sam's Catholic (or her dogtags are wrong...one of the two) whereas I think I read that Jack's an athiest.

Obviously I'm no expert on religion, so maybe people should just ignore this post.
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

but legal?
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Hey I so love that idea!!!!

Comment

SAM AND JACK ARE...

Sometimes subtle...

Sometimes tense...

Sometimes flirty...

Always about love...

This SQUEE brought to you by a member of the ShipShipHooray Special Ops Team!!!

**thanks to Mala50 and others for caps**
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X