This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by divcon
    As much as I love Jack/RDA and trust me that man melts my heart as well as............ well never mind that (I must remember this is a PG Forum), I along with many others realise that the show was not solely about Jack. I will watch S9 when out TV programmers finally stop sitting on their brains and air S9 & S2. From everything I've heard it wasn't so bad a season but I like many shippers will miss seeing Jack and Sam together if only on the screen but forever together in my heart.
    The thing about S9 - IMHO of course - is that as a series on its own, it was good. There were good characters, good plots, it had a good mix of funny and serious and I enjoyed it. But when you put it with earlier seasons of SG1, it just doesn't quite compare.
    I know Stargate was never just about Jack, but for me the relationships in a show are a huge part of why I watch it, and my two favourite relationships in SG1 are Jack & Daniel and Jack & Sam. Being Jack-less makes those relationships very difficult to maintain, and so that's a huge part of the show gone for me. The whole dynamic of the show just isn't what it used to be (that's such a cliche now...). That's not just because of Jack, it's just because the show has had to change to accomodate the evolution of the whole plot. In the last couple of seasons, they've achieved everything they set out to in the early days, and more. So now it has to be different. Atlantis probably hasn't helped matters. Don't get me wrong, I love Atlantis, it's fantastic, but now they have to make twice as much tv in the same amount of time, so everything's a bit rushed, and SG1 is suffering.

I think I've just sort of wandered off on a tangent here! My point (I'm fairly sure) is that S9 is good, but would have worked better as its own show, and I miss Jack and his relationships with the other characters terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
      The thing about S9 - IMHO of course - is that as a series on its own, it was good. There were good characters, good plots, it had a good mix of funny and serious and I enjoyed it. But when you put it with earlier seasons of SG1, it just doesn't quite compare.
      I know Stargate was never just about Jack, but for me the relationships in a show are a huge part of why I watch it, and my two favourite relationships in SG1 are Jack & Daniel and Jack & Sam. Being Jack-less makes those relationships very difficult to maintain, and so that's a huge part of the show gone for me. The whole dynamic of the show just isn't what it used to be (that's such a cliche now...). That's not just because of Jack, it's just because the show has had to change to accomodate the evolution of the whole plot. In the last couple of seasons, they've achieved everything they set out to in the early days, and more. So now it has to be different. Atlantis probably hasn't helped matters. Don't get me wrong, I love Atlantis, it's fantastic, but now they have to make twice as much tv in the same amount of time, so everything's a bit rushed, and SG1 is suffering.

I think I've just sort of wandered off on a tangent here! My point (I'm fairly sure) is that S9 is good, but would have worked better as its own show, and I miss Jack and his relationships with the other characters terribly.
      Hey shel,

Yeah that's about what I heard. As a stand alone series it was good, almost like a whole new show with a couple (ok 4 or 5 ) of the old characters in it. You're right though, the interaction of Jack with the other characters really made the show for me. I would love watching just to see what crazy thing Jack would do and how the rest of them would just look at him and shake their heads. Sam was always so tolerant of him because of her undying love for him. Her love for him made it possible for him to be the man that he was. Even though the obeyed the regs, the love could not be destroyed and by him loving her and being loved in return it allowed him to accept both Daniel and Teal'c into his heart as well. We saw how much he cared for his friends every time they died, went missing or were brainwashed. Sam's love healed his heart after Charlie died.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
      NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

So true, SO TRUE!!!! It really was a win, win situation for tptb but alas they didn't see the potential and the opportunity that they had been given. Really it was handed to them on a platter. Why they did not see it and then utilise it is beyond me and obviously the rest of my shipper family whole-heartedly agrees.

OH YEAH JACK. TAKE A GOOD LOOK BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY THING THAT TPTB WILL EVER LET YOU SEE OF YOUR ONE TRUE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        *sigh* yep oh, don't get me started!! I so agree!! Well, maybe theres hope for season 10 -

Comment

They really should have. A resolution at the end of S8 wouldn't have cost them anything - the shippers would have been delighted, the anti-shippers wouldn't have had to deal with a proper relationship. Most people would have been reasonably happy. That's one of the reasons I was so disappointed with Moebius - It was such a complete cop-out.
          And now Jack's gone!
          That's exactly what I was thinking. When I heard that RDA was leaving my first thought was "I'm really going to miss Jack", but my second was: "At least TPTB can resolve the relationship now, without worrying too much about the reaction of anti-shippers". Unless something miraculous happens at a later date, I'm still treating the end of Threads (and to a lesser extent the end of Moebius) as all the resolution I'm likely to get on screen. As far as I'm concerned, that was the beginning of a relationship, which even the bizarre event in RE couldn't destroy. I would like to have seen at least parts of the relationship played out on screen, but in the absence of that (and RDA) there's my imagination (and talented fanfic authors!). If I keep thinking like that (and remember exactly what it is that fishing symbolises ), then I can convince myself, that I didn't really need more than what we got at the end of season 8. Eventually. Honest.
          always and forever
          My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
          My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
            Beautiful.
            always and forever
            My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
            My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
              That's exactly what I was thinking. When I heard that RDA was leaving my first thought was "I'm really going to miss Jack", but my second was: "At least TPTB can resolve the relationship now, without worrying too much about the reaction of anti-shippers". Unless something miraculous happens at a later date, I'm still treating the end of Threads (and to a lesser extent the end of Moebius) as all the resolution I'm likely to get on screen. As far as I'm concerned, that was the beginning of a relationship, which even the bizarre event in RE couldn't destroy. I would like to have seen at least parts of the relationship played out on screen, but in the absence of that (and RDA) there's my imagination (and talented fanfic authors!). If I keep thinking like that (and remember exactly what it is that fishing symbolises ), then I can convince myself, that I didn't really need more than what we got at the end of season 8. Eventually. Honest.
              Yes fishing, lots and lots of fishing and reading of great fan fic combined with a fertile imagination can almost make up for the lack of insight of tptb!!!

TOGETHER FOREVER,
              NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Hey shel,

Yeah that's about what I heard. As a stand alone series it was good, almost like a whole new show with a couple (ok 4 or 5 ) of the old characters in it. You're right though, the interaction of Jack with the other characters really made the show for me. I would love watching just to see what crazy thing Jack would do and how the rest of them would just look at him and shake their heads. Sam was always so tolerant of him because of her undying love for him. Her love for him made it possible for him to be the man that he was. Even though the obeyed the regs, the love could not be destroyed and by him loving her and being loved in return it allowed him to accept both Daniel and Teal'c into his heart as well. We saw how much he cared for his friends every time they died, went missing or were brainwashed. Sam's love healed his heart after Charlie died.
                Awww! That's such a sweet description of their relationship!! I actually had a lump in my throat reading it!!

Comment

I've been thinking about the 200th ep - this is all just speculation & wishful thinking (mostly wishful thinking ) so no spoilers.

We're not going to see a wedding. Knowing TPTB and their history of dealing with ship, I think it's safe to say that that's just not gonna happen. IMHO, the most TPTB are ever likely to give us is a cuddle and maybe, if we're very good, a real kiss. With any luck at all, Jack will be in the 200th ep, and be in it a lot...I want to say saving the galaxy - again - cos that's what Jack does. Although if it's another ep like Wormhole Xtreme then that's very unlikely. But something will bring him back to the SGC so I'm gonna stick with the galaxy-saving. The ep could start with him coming down in the lift in the SGC á la CotG. Daniel & Teal'c meet him when he gets off the lift (Sam is busy working out how they're going to save the galaxy but it's ok, because she sees Jack almost every day anyway) The conversation between Jack, Daniel & Teal'c is very sweet and funny and reflects the whole ep, as it will be filled with wonderful team and character moments - a real celebration of SG1. Cam, Lam and Landry will be in the ep, but it will be primarily about Jack, Sam, Daniel & Teal'c.

There should be a scene something like this fairly early on in the ep:
                  Jack, Sam, Teal'c Daniel & Mitchell are in the commissary, chatting. Jack has his arm around Sam. At some stage in the conversation, Daniel asks, 'So have you two set a date yet?' Sam & Jack share a look, and Jack replies something to the effect of 'well, we thought we'd save the world first' At that moment, one or other of them is called away and they share a brief kiss before that person leaves. The other turns back to the team, grinning from ear to ear. Daniel & Teal'c smile at each other, happy that their friends have finally gotten their act together and they can now move on to arguing over who will be best man. (Daniel. Teal'c will sing. Cassie will of course be Sam's maid of honour.)

Now if they can work Jonas into it...or is that asking too much?
                  (((shelsfc))) I think this is more or less what we may see but I think episode 200 may have some flashbacks scenes of what Jack hasbeen doing in season 9 ..would be nice to know that he was still working close to the team even just giving his input from Washington DC ..also a flashback scene of Sam and Jack together in washington DC would be greatly appreciated by all the shipper fans ..I mean ..surely she didn't stay one year at SGC without seeing him . It would make make sense for such a scene because she looked pretty happy and she even didn't cry once in season 9 ..so , she was happy and we need to know that she was seeing Jack as much as she could to make sense of Sam's character and her happiness in season 9 . Also ,I think all Jack fans would appreciate a scene of him at Homeland security so that we all know he was still around .
                  Not sure if we will see Jack going off world with the others because he has another title now ..and the team would be a bit large all of a sudden unless Cameron is gone for that episode ..I would love to see NO CAMERON and NO VALA for episode 200 .

Caty

Comment

Awww! That's such a sweet description of their relationship!! I actually had a lump in my throat reading it!!
                    Hey shel, I thought you had gone. Thanks for the comment love. That's just how I see it, you know that when you've found your true and everlasting love that anything is possible and your heart will always let others in once it has felt the beat of true love.

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                    NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                      (((shelsfc))) I think this is more or less what we may see but I think episode 200 may have some flashbacks scenes of what Jack hasbeen doing in season 9 ..would be nice to know that he was still working close to the team even just giving his input from Washington DC ..also a flashback scene of Sam and Jack together in washington DC would be greatly appreciated by all the shipper fans ..I mean ..surely she didn't stay one year at SGC without seeing him . It would make make sense for such a scene because she looked pretty happy and she even didn't cry once in season 9 ..so , she was happy and we need to know that she was seeing Jack as much as she could to make sense of Sam's character and her happiness in season 9 . Also ,I think all Jack fans would appreciate a scene of him at Homeland security so that we all know he was still around .
                      Not sure if we will see Jack going off world with the others because he has another title now ..and the team would be a bit large all of a sudden unless Cameron is gone for that episode ..I would love to see NO CAMERON and NO VALA for episode 200 .

Caty
                      Hey Caty,
                      What good ideas, yeah I like the idea of seeing what Jack has been doing in the previous year and yeah lots and lots of flashbacks of Jack and Sam and maybe even some of Jack with Daniel and Teal'c so that we know he still keeps in contact with his friends ( which of course we know because that is just the sort of man that Jack is).

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                      NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
                        Ya know, that thing in RE really bothered me. Not so much what actually happened, cos that can be explained away
                        Spoiler:
                        it was actually an AU Sam/it was just intended as a friendly peck on the cheek, as I think someone pointed out before...
                        What bothers me is that it actuallly happened at all. It shows the very low regard TPTB have for ship, and for Sam, though it's not the first time they've done something strange with her character. It's a bit sad to think that the people who did that are the same people we're relying on for ship next season...

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1

Caty
                          I don't mind having them there as long as the ep is not about them at all. I want a proper episode dedicated to the original SG1, because we were cheated out of it for Moebius.

I hope we get something to show that Jack has been around thsi season too. I'd hate to think they don't all keep in contact. A couple of flashbacks would be nice to cover this - one with Sam, Daniel & Teal'c visiting Jack in Washington, and another of just Sam there with him.

Comment

Ya know, that thing in RE really bothered me. Not so much what actually happened, cos that can be explained away
                            Spoiler:
                            it was actually an AU Sam/it was just intended as a friendly peck on the cheek, as I think someone pointed out before...
                            What bothers me is that it actuallly happened at all. It shows the very low regard TPTB have for ship, and for Sam, though it's not the first time they've done something strange with her character. It's a bit sad to think that the people who did that are the same people we're relying on for ship next season...
                            OK, I must be out of the loop here so forgive an Aussie asking a silly question but what does RE stand for? Is it an abreviation for an ep in S9?

TOGETHER FOREVER,
                            NEVER TO BE TORN APART

Comment

Agree and the flashback with Daniel and Teal'c may be at Sam and Jack's wedding just after Threads ..Who knows !!1They may be married !!!!! and Teal and Daniel were there at the wedding and Hammond too .We could have a very short flashback of something like that . !!!

Caty

Comment

Hey shel, I thought you had gone.
                                I had!! I went on my lunch - a chicken roll, just for the record.

Thanks for the comment love. That's just how I see it, you know that when you've found your true and everlasting love that anything is possible and your heart will always let others in once it has felt the beat of true love.
                                I wouldn't know
                                That's a really beautiful thing to say!!

Comment

Working...
                                X