Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling old shipper times (all classic epi 1. - 8. season)

i coming back to work on little naquadah bomb for TIIC/TPTB

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zuz
      Thanks for the link (((Bev))).
      You're welcome.
      I still have a good laugh at the potatohead pics, and the penguins.....we can't forget the penguins!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
        Ooooh, another old-timer crawls out of lurkdom!! Hey, stranger! Thinking about "I Will Survive" also reminded me of Mala and her lovely potato pics. I'll never look at Mr. Potatohead the same way again And who could forget the "Pete as Chimaera" campers? I think I still live in that campground

For those who are wondering what all this fluff is about, feel free to check out the shipper archives--there is loads of good stuff there! A few tidbits to whet your appetite...
        --We were all angsting over the spoilers for Affinity *gag* and JM came on thread and said "before you burn all your DVDs and move to a hippie commune in California, watch first". Needless to say, we ran with that... There were bags, shirts and everything lol
        --Mala dubbed Pete "Potatohead" and the fray was launched! I bet if someone went down to her thread and asked really nicely, Mala would post a link to those pics here. Mala, are you lurking? That's what inspired the Toy Story clips in my "Survivor" video (on my S/J page, link is in the sig).

Anyway, this bunch of shippers at GW has always been the most fun anywhere on the net and I'm glad to see so many new faces have joined us!
        And then came the penguins... *tearing up at the memories*

Maybe I need to walk down the Shippertown archive avenues to get some plot bunnies jumping... Of course, I keep telling myself I have to finish the novel first... *grits teeth* And it's being a pain in the posterior!

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
          Unfortunately, my Shipper Cookie t-shirt *cough* shrank *cough*.... But I still have my two Shipper Cookie coffee mugs! Use them all the time. Something to remember the good old days... *sniff* *sniff* *sniffle*
          LOL! I broke my shipper cookie coffee mug, but I still use my mouse mat which has a map of Shippertown on it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
            You're welcome.
            I still have a good laugh at the potatohead pics, and the penguins.....we can't forget the penguins!
            *cackle* Great minds and all that jazz... LOL!

Comment

I love this scene, especially Sam's reaction. If this is not flirting, then I don't know what is.

"Y'know, I can be as diplomatic and open-minded as anyone."
              Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by zuz
                I love this scene, especially Sam's reaction. If this is not flirting, then I don't know what is.

perfect
                love this
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                  *cackle* Great minds and all that jazz... LOL!
                  Hehehe! The penguins were fun. Mala's penguin page.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                    Hehehe! The penguins were fun. Mala's penguin page.
                    The new kids on the thread are probably shaking their heads in confusion... Shippertown, cookies, penquins, potato head, roller coasters... *cackle* What a history! But we had so much fun!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      Oh, gee, Jack, I just don't think so! Let me say first that I like to see you here. Your posts are always insightful and very well thought out. But I must respectfully disagree on this one.

If there's one thing I do believe, it's that RDA and AT are friends. She attended the benefit he sponsored in Banff, Alberta in January, and neither has ever spoken of the other with anything except sincere affection. I just don't think that's it.

I also think TPTB (or TIIC, as I'm now calling them) DO want RDA back, and that is the source of a possible falling out between RDA and the current producers. Although there may be secondary issues, here's what I truly think happened:

1. RDA was tired of being in Vancouver while his daughter was growing up in California.

2. RDA has plenty of money if he never works again.

3. There was a plan to end the series and begin producing SG-1 movies, either big screen (a la Star Trek) or direct-to-DVD. RDA was in for that. It was less work, and he could justify staying involved on those limited terms. But then, they took the plot for the first movie and used it instead as the pilot for SGA.

And now, I'm straying from fact and back into speculation: I truly believe that at this point, RDA made the decision to leave, to escape the weekly grind and to be with his daughter. He saw that the movies had been put on the back burner, and that SG-1 would continue as a weekly series instead. But his daughter was growing and changing, and shooting in Canada prevented him from being there for her every day.

Although the above paragraph is speculation on my part, I believe it is accurate. The theories about what happened next all start at this point. Are the producers mad at him for leaving? Was there an unpleasant parting of the ways? Whether there was or not, TIIC were then faced with a predictament. They had lost their marquee star, and they had to scramble to protect their franchise. So, they made what even I agree was a good business decision: they brought in two very popular stars of a failed series in the same genre, and reworked the franchise around them. It made great business sense (although the ratings would provide a solid argument that it hasn't been so successful). But, for many long-term fans, it just isn't working.

Although I don't wish bad luck on anyone, I hope the ratings stay down for the finale. Why? Because that should send a signal to TIIC and Skiffy that they need to do whatever it takes to get RDA to pop in occasionally.

I don't argue with TIIC's plan to protect their livelihoods. But they made a very bad mistake when they forgot to "dance with the one who brought them." By disavowing, in large part, the well-loved persona of Jack O'Neill, they have tarnished the franchise. If they had kept O'Neill "large and alive on the Stargate canvas" as they said they would, through script mentions and the one-sided phone calls they promised us would occur between Sam and Jack, they would have made things easier for BB and CB with long-time fans. But to script most of the season as if O'Neill never existed made many Stargate fans resent the new characters instead.

Can it be fixed? Absolutely! If they will do in S10 what they promised us in S9 (re: above paragraph), we'll come around. We've squeed at every shippy nuance in S9. We'll forgive, if they'll just give us the chance.

But is there a problem between RDA and AT that affected the scripting of the ship? No, I just don't believe that.
                      If I could I'd green you again.
                      Last edited by Zoser; 12 March 2006, 10:04 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                        Well, I, for one, hope that you are right. I like Mitchell but I hate the thought of Sam and Cam (which adds up to SCAM for those that like to blend). I hate it that they've even HINTED at such a thing!
                        maybe its just my own denial. or maybe its that it takes a lot for me to see ship, or maybe its just that i'm so very opposed to people whos names rhyme having a relationship, or maybe its something else entirely, but until RE i didn't even see a remotely shippy vibe between them. and even then it was one sided (from our universes sam and cam). i saw then in much the same light as i saw sam and daniel (a ship that would translate to dam, btw). very much an old friend vibe there.

it also would be entirely ridiculous to have sam shipped with cam for another reason. it would seriously p!$$ off everyone except those who are brand spanking new to the show. the anti shippers would complain for the same reasons they complained about s/j, and even more so now following the resolution (for some) of that ship. the s/j shippers would hate it because it's peeing all over our ship.

i could go on, but i won't.
                        needless to say, if they were to do that (which they won't), that, for me, would be the final moment of that show. the characters would make absolutely no sense at that point.

sam and jack are together. i'm happy. now if only i could find some really good, new, happy fics.... (hint, hint fic writers!)

Comment

i'm not gonna repost the pics but, yikes zuz, that last one is flirting at its finest! i had forgotten that expression. (and love jacks flirty face! so cute/yummy). cutest. couple. ever.

Comment

little spam

Little history
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              well should they decide to kill the ship by pairing sam with someone else (and i have faith that they won't) then it'll be more like the lusitania. titanic was an accident.

but that won't happen.
                              I keep hearing the song 'Heart Like a Wheel' by Kate & Anna McGarrigle
                              "And my love for you is like a sinking ship
                              And my heart is like that ship out in mid ocean"
                              sigpic
                              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                                *growl*

everyone look at the camelot poll on GW's front page...What the...hell is going on with that?

They're rigging the polls to keep the fan rating up
                                Suz - did you goof on the calculator again?

Seriously though, it looks like GW's calculator has.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X