X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    The Stargate Theory of Relativity?

And RegAmanda, nothing new atm (I've had 2 hours of sleep in the last 30 hours so I'm not coming up with anything soon - the joys of working the 2nd/3rd shift 16 hour double), but if you haven't read the second chapter of my Always on my LJ.... That one actually doesn't suck

And yeah, that admission about sleep explains a lot, you all are thinking, aren't you? It certainly explains why I can't be bothered to get up and push the little forward button on Hulu to skip this episode which I hate and which I think Sam's wardrobe looks wallpaperish in.

*shhh... don't tell the Samandans I said that...
    You're writing doesn't suck by the way. And I just did that, yay!!! *iz happy because of gutter*

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
    So I should just call you a Cheesehead and taunt you with the fact that Favre is making the Vikings rock this season so that those of us here don't have to hang our heads in shame? :: thinks for a moment :: As tempting as that is I want you to keep writing fic that I can read so I will refrain from bringing up the rivalry...

I've been trying to figure out how to hibernate for the winter. I'll bet Jack ice fished. The fact that he likes fishing doesn't surprise me now that I live up here and see how people really really love it. Sam would have to take to it. That's how we know they're soulmates. If I believed in soulmates.

This page thing is like the Warp 10 barrier. Someone's going to turn into a lizard and have lizard babies...
    I love that episode...

The page thing is oh so annoying!!

Edit- now we're on page 10003!

Edit 2- Gutter talk is still there...and the 10000 page celebration is starting on page 9990 now *headdesk*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
    Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      I do agree with the author to some extent that what Jack probably finds attractive initially with Sam are similar characteristics to those in his ex-wife but that he quickly comes to find Sam herself attractive.
      I think that's true for a lot of men. They know what they like, have a 'type' they're attracted to. In a way, for Jack, Kerry was the exception given Laira rather looks that type, too...

And actually I do think there are glimmers of that later when Jack smudges the line with his fishing invite in Nemesis and his kissing her in WoO - because both times he does push on the boundaries of what is really allowed although he is careful in both instances not to push too far (he quickly backs off in Nemesis when she turns him down, he makes sure to resign first in WoO).
      I agree with this, but like you said, he never pushes beyond where Sam's willing to go. I actually think Jack has very little respect for 'the rules' per se, simply because they're the rules. The instances when he breaks (or pushes them) are, I think, examples generally of when either it will do no harm or, more often, when breaking/stretching them is actually for the *good* of someone or something. (Learning Curve/Politics) That's part of why I think his using the regs for a reason not to pursue Sam was an excuse and if she had indicated she was willing to find a way around them (not necessarily breaking them, but figuring out a work around - which there would be) he would have found one for her.

SGU:
      Spoiler:

More interestingly though, if the rumours are right and he did sleep with TJ, there's a direct contrast: Young would sleep with an impressionable junior officer: Jack won't. What does it say for their characters and morals?
      I think there are a lot of interesting comparisons between what pass for relationships on SGU and Sam/Jack. Not only in the fact that, if as you say he slept with TJ, Young failed to take the higher moral ground and do the right thing as Jack did - not speaking of adultery but simply of sleeping with a subordinate at all, though I think Jack ironically was more loyal to Sam than many men are able to be to their wives so I think he trumps him there, too. We've also got the other example, Scott and James and the supply closet, which goes to show the difference between sex and relationship and what an officer and gentleman actually is. So, yeah, as much as we complain, SGU if it does nothing else shows we really have nothing much to complain about. By comparison. Though they may be doing that a bit too far and making the characters almost unmitigatingly reprehensible to the point where I'm beginning to think the universe might not be a better place if the Destiny were to blow up with all on board... Except for Eli, cause he's sweet and at least trying. There's a different between squared jawed heroes, antiheroes, and then people you sort of only want to see fail because they remind you of every awful self-serving person you've ever met...

Ascension:
      *giggle* She accused Orlin of stalking her. Ironic, isn't it, the one guy she really wants is the one guy who won't over actively pursue her? *sigh* Or even actively pursue her at all. Which, given her history, may in fact be why it was so easy for her to believe he no longer cared. Look at what she had by way of comparison!

Comment

OT Cheesehead:
        Spoiler:

So I should just call you a Cheesehead and taunt you with the fact that Favre is making the Vikings rock this season so that those of us here don't have to hang our heads in shame? :: thinks for a moment :: As tempting as that is I want you to keep writing fic that I can read so I will refrain from bringing up the rivalry...

I've been trying to figure out how to hibernate for the winter. I'll bet Jack ice fished. The fact that he likes fishing doesn't surprise me now that I live up here and see how people really really love it. Sam would have to take to it. That's how we know they're soulmates. If I believed in soulmates.

This page thing is like the Warp 10 barrier. Someone's going to turn into a lizard and have lizard babies...
        rofl. And you can call me a Cheesehead, cause cheese is awesome. I could generally care less about the Packers... If I cared at all, it'd be about the Bears, though the only professional team I give two figs for is the Cubs. I grew up in a family (and currently live in one) in which absolutely no one follows sports. I don't even understand how football (american) is played...

That's right. An entire family of Geeks who have been known to discuss Stargate and Star Trek over the Thanksgiving table when everyone else in America is talking football. Yes, we do breed...

Um.. back on T... Almost...

Jack likes the Cubs too. Wonder if he follows the Vikings of the Bears...

Comment

Holy Moses, we're on page 10003! Did we break the thread by hitting 10,000? Do we need new thread? I don't think THAT many people forgot to delete IMG tags to make that the culprit.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
            Holy Moses, we're on page 10003! Did we break the thread by hitting 10,000? Do we need new thread? I don't think THAT many people forgot to delete IMG tags to make that the culprit.
            You know I was thinking the same thing, there's at least what 10 pages missing, meaning 200 posts deleted...I wonder if anyone's noticing that their post count is staying the same?

Comment

And bringing up "Nemesis" it makes me wonder if the writers had been more gutsy if they would have had Jack be the kind to cross that line. I'm only making this argument because at the point that the author wrote the fic, I think that possibility was there. Certainly the Jack that we know wouldn't but an undeveloped Jack... an AU Jack perhaps?
              I actually think, if Sam had indicated she *needed* Jack.. Jack would have crossed the line if it had been the ONLY way to be there for her. However, it wouldn't have been, there would have been other ways to pursue a relationship which wouldn't have been flagrantly violating regulations, and I think if she had agreed to go fishing with him in Nemesis, they might have fished once, but after that he would have arranged to have their positions shifted so she was no longer under him.

Hmm.. It's the first part of that sentence that is in the gutter, not the final part despite what it sounds. This thread is a weird place.

SGU
              Spoiler:
              Over at the TJ/Young speculation thread I've brought up that I see Young as the anti-O'Neill and I make several arguments to support that. One of them is that he had some sort of relationship with TJ - something Jack didn't do overall. It's lengthy but if you're curious, you can head over there and check it out. Young hitting Rush wasn't he shocker, so much as him leaving him there. I was like "Whoa!" - Jack would have NEVER left him behind and I'm curious to see how they play this out with Young - especially when we meet hostile aliens.
              But we won't. That would be something happening, and you know how they feel about that on SGU...

In all seriousness, though, I recall JM saying there weren't to be any aliens on SGU. Well, not the humanoid hostile kind anyway. No corny eyemake-up budget this time, apparently. (don't look at me, I've still not decided if I'm rooting for the random disaster of the week to blow up the ship or not each time)

EDIT: Today's random question from John: If the Ancients created all life in this Galaxy, does that mean they created the Go'uld? I say they just evolved from other less malevolent life forms. Like I'm evolved from an Elizabethan.

Comment

LOL.

Actually, if we weren't so prolific as a thread, we'd be back to below 200,000 posts by now and the late 9990s in terms of pages.
                sigpic
                Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Two things...

1. Has anyone asked the mods why we lost 10 pages? Just wondering.

2. Isn't Shipmas NEXT Saturday? I've got some emails in my inbox giving me alerts about Shipmas postings and now am wondering if I'm late posting my gift.

Thanks.

Ah...

Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                    Two things...

1. Has anyone asked the mods why we lost 10 pages? Just wondering.

2. Isn't Shipmas NEXT Saturday? I've got some emails in my inbox giving me alerts about Shipmas postings and now am wondering if I'm late posting my gift.

Thanks.

Ah...

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...Grace_Kiss.gif
                    1. Yup, people have asked. I think Sky said she's looking into it.

2. Yup, it's next Saturday...maybe it's for the SS? And I know Jenn posted one of her's early so...

Um...

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                      2. Yup, it's next Saturday...maybe it's for the SS? And I know Jenn posted one of her's early so...
                      Melissa posted her SS for you, Pol...

And I posted one of my two early, but I've got another for next week. The longer one I figured would get lost anyway next week.

Comment

Melissa posted her SS for you, Pol...

And I posted one of my two early, but I've got another for next week. The longer one I figured would get lost anyway next week.
                        Really? Ooh, now I have to avoid it for a week!

And...for fun, I'll post LAST YEAR's Shipmas present. Just as a teaser. This year's is MUCH better, though, trust me.
                        Last edited by Pol; 12 December 2009, 08:50 AM.
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

And I agree with you and Jenn - I don't think Sam would have taken the situation lightly.

Fic spoiler

Spoiler:
                          I think when I look at S1 I see Sam as career confident, but from what happens with Jonas, relationship shy. Jonas held quite a bit of sway over her - not just with the gun, but considering she has hand to hand combat training (remember the Shavadai?) she really is very weak with regards to him which I think is part of that woman/soldier conflict I think exists in her character. So in that regards, the story surprises me a little.

And bringing up "Nemesis" it makes me wonder if the writers had been more gutsy if they would have had Jack be the kind to cross that line. I'm only making this argument because at the point that the author wrote the fic, I think that possibility was there. Certainly the Jack that we know wouldn't but an undeveloped Jack... an AU Jack perhaps?

SGU
                          Spoiler:
                          Over at the TJ/Young speculation thread I've brought up that I see Young as the anti-O'Neill and I make several arguments to support that. One of them is that he had some sort of relationship with TJ - something Jack didn't do overall. It's lengthy but if you're curious, you can head over there and check it out. Young hitting Rush wasn't he shocker, so much as him leaving him there. I was like "Whoa!" - Jack would have NEVER left him behind and I'm curious to see how they play this out with Young - especially when we meet hostile aliens.
                          Oh, I definitely think you get a glimpse of Sam's issues on the personal front with Jonas but there was a long stretch between then and Chimera where really her interaction with men who are interested in her generally shows her being flattered and generally confident in handling them (Orlin, Joe, Martouf). Maybe the difference is when Sam herself is also interested? Hmmm.

I agree with this, but like you said, he never pushes beyond where Sam's willing to go. I actually think Jack has very little respect for 'the rules' per se, simply because they're the rules. The instances when he breaks (or pushes them) are, I think, examples generally of when either it will do no harm or, more often, when breaking/stretching them is actually for the *good* of someone or something. (Learning Curve/Politics) That's part of why I think his using the regs for a reason not to pursue Sam was an excuse and if she had indicated she was willing to find a way around them (not necessarily breaking them, but figuring out a work around - which there would be) he would have found one for her.

SGU:
                          Spoiler:

I think there are a lot of interesting comparisons between what pass for relationships on SGU and Sam/Jack. Not only in the fact that, if as you say he slept with TJ, Young failed to take the higher moral ground and do the right thing as Jack did - not speaking of adultery but simply of sleeping with a subordinate at all, though I think Jack ironically was more loyal to Sam than many men are able to be to their wives so I think he trumps him there, too. We've also got the other example, Scott and James and the supply closet, which goes to show the difference between sex and relationship and what an officer and gentleman actually is. So, yeah, as much as we complain, SGU if it does nothing else shows we really have nothing much to complain about. By comparison. Though they may be doing that a bit too far and making the characters almost unmitigatingly reprehensible to the point where I'm beginning to think the universe might not be a better place if the Destiny were to blow up with all on board... Except for Eli, cause he's sweet and at least trying. There's a different between squared jawed heroes, antiheroes, and then people you sort of only want to see fail because they remind you of every awful self-serving person you've ever met...
                          I actually think, if Sam had indicated she *needed* Jack.. Jack would have crossed the line if it had been the ONLY way to be there for her. However, it wouldn't have been, there would have been other ways to pursue a relationship which wouldn't have been flagrantly violating regulations, and I think if she had agreed to go fishing with him in Nemesis, they might have fished once, but after that he would have arranged to have their positions shifted so she was no longer under him.

Hmm.. It's the first part of that sentence that is in the gutter, not the final part despite what it sounds. This thread is a weird place.

SGU
                          Spoiler:
                          But we won't. That would be something happening, and you know how they feel about that on SGU...

In all seriousness, though, I recall JM saying there weren't to be any aliens on SGU. Well, not the humanoid hostile kind anyway. No corny eyemake-up budget this time, apparently. (don't look at me, I've still not decided if I'm rooting for the random disaster of the week to blow up the ship or not each time)
                          I agree on the whole. I think Jack in general doesn't mind breaking the rules (hence the look Kawalsky gives him when he puts out the regs as the reason for not looking at Sam that way) if its for the best for Earth or the individual involved.

I think truthfully, Sam would never have *fished* because while she's OK breaking the rules if it saves people, she generally prefers to keep to the rules as a character trait.

So if they had gone fishing in Nemesis I can see them getting to the point where they both might have wanted *fishing* but wouldn't have *fished* until they came back and arranged things so they could.

SGU
                          Spoiler:

I guess I'm in the small minority that actually likes the characters. I find them fascinatingly flawed and interesting.

The pacing is off to me - I think TPTB have got slightly carried away by the emphasis on character moments and overarching themes to the point where they've forgotten they still need to deliver a cohesive and interesting story of the week too.

I'm hoping it balances out in the 2H of the season.

sigpic
                          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

"Sir, what happened?!"
                            "The shippers hit me with 10,000 pages...."

Comment

Oh, I definitely think you get a glimpse of Sam's issues on the personal front with Jonas but there was a long stretch between then and Chimera where really her interaction with men who are interested in her generally shows her being flattered and generally confident in handling them (Orlin, Joe, Martouf). Maybe the difference is when Sam herself is also interested? Hmmm.

I agree on the whole. I think Jack in general doesn't mind breaking the rules (hence the look Kawalsky gives him when he puts out the regs as the reason for not looking at Sam that way) if its for the best for Earth or the individual involved.

I think truthfully, Sam would never have *fished* because while she's OK breaking the rules if it saves people, she generally prefers to keep to the rules as a character trait.

So if they had gone fishing in Nemesis I can see them getting to the point where they both might have wanted *fishing* but wouldn't have *fished* until they came back and arranged things so they could.

SGU
                              Spoiler:

I guess I'm in the small minority that actually likes the characters. I find them fascinatingly flawed and interesting.

The pacing is off to me - I think TPTB have got slightly carried away by the emphasis on character moments and overarching themes to the point where they've forgotten they still need to deliver a cohesive and interesting story of the week too.

I'm hoping it balances out in the 2H of the season.

Hmm, a different Jack... I wonder...

SGU
                              Spoiler:
                              I'm with Jenn on this part: for crying out loud SOMETHING HAPPEN already. I do enjoy the characters - Young and Rush especially. Wray and Chloe aren't doing it for me (although I'll give Chloe props in the last episode). I do find myself wishing Jack would just stone over there and knock some heads together.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                                1. Yup, people have asked. I think Sky said she's looking into it.

Um...

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...manda/PS17.jpg
                                Just wondering. Is there any specific reason why the SS has to be in today? I thought that we usually recieve them at Shipmas, but I could be wrong.
                                sigpic
                                The Return of King Arthur
                                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Working...
                                X