This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starlover View Post
    I agree...SG is good...but it lately has a problem that it needs too much CGI...

SG was about the normal, real life, combining with sci-fi, it could really be happening at this moment...lately that is happening less and less...
    Another problem with SG for a few years now is that more and more techno-stuff works somehow. Perfect example - the Ark of Truth. Yeah, yeah, it's technology way beyond us, but so was Dakara weapon and I understood how that worked. Mostly. The basics.

On topic:

I'm off to bed. It's half past 2.
    sigpic

Comment

I think it's pretty straightforward, really - if you don't bother to explore the characters and their relationships, then what the hell is the point of the story? Might as well be writing a tech manual.

I like my Asimov, sure, I liked the quote in 200 and the Foundation trilogy is a masterpiece, but my favourite sci-fi story is probably Arthur C. Clarke's The Songs of Distant Earth - which has very, very little actual sci-fi in it at all. And it's bloody heartbreaking. Which is why Clarke > pretty much everyone else in my personal preferences. Including Asimov.

Actually one of the dynamics that I LOVE about Stargate is the ongoing struggle between the SGC and the NID - who is right? In any other story, the NID would be the knights in shining armour. Their mission? To defend earth, at any cost! But in Stargate, they're the baddies! And that's because we have the benefit of expanded horizons and perspectives through the SGC, and we know better. It's wonderful stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
        Well...a fire in the fireplace is *mentioned* in this one...does that count?
        I can't believe I actually clicked on the link

There's also one in my latest. Cause I love the imagery.

Pol's written a whole series of Campfire fics, too.

Orson.

Scott.

Card.

IF you havent read him, I envy you.

'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Caladria View Post
          It's only the Scottish docs that have to worry 'bout that Mr Cooper, no other med student need panic (well, you do, but only about anatomy and pharmacology and physiology and biochemistry and all the other fun stuff).
          Well i'm Scottish but i'm not a doc so i'm safe
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post

Pretty romantic! But we'll never see two Air Force officers together in bed. Hopefully Jack retires, so there'd be lots and lots of bed scenes. What? A shipper can hope.
            Who says he's not retired ...who says this is our reality...ok ok I won't go there

*ducks for all the incoming blue jello*

yum

oh and those bed scenes

yum

*goes back reading fanfic*

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

Orson.

Scott.

Card.

'Nuff said.
              Orson Scott Card OT
              Spoiler:
              If you haven't read it, I highly recomment Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. It is a great read.
              sigpic
              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                I agree...SG is good...but it lately has a problem that it needs too much CGI...

SG was about the normal, real life, combining with sci-fi, it could really be happening at this moment...lately that is happening less and less...

I'm not saying that is because of the CGI...but what I want to say is that I prefer stuff with the characters, sometimes a nice battle on the planet and not in space...it's not Star Trek it's Stargate...
                And notice, as they shifted from the character and moral/ethical type of stories to the big space battles, the popularity of the franchise fell because that's not why people watch it. Furthermore, Stargate doesn't have the budget to compete with the big boys when it comes to special effects. It doesn't cost any more to write a great script than a so-so one, though. It's their strong point- I hope they go back to it.

Honestly, I just don't want to hear any more about how Jack is too old to be the lead in the next movie- as if shooting a gun is all he ever did, or as if action is all Stargate has ever been about. Grrr.

Comment

Orson.

Scott.

Card.

'Nuff said.

Still prefer my Asimov short stories to pretty much anything, including Clarke (Clarke is good, though).

(I wasn't that impressed with Ender's Game *ducks* It's just... unrelentlessly grim.)

I think it's Scottish doc's cos its only Carson and Janet that have died - Carson was Scottish, through and through; Frasier is a Scottish-ish surname. It started when someone asked RCC at a con why he hated doctors so much (he wrote Heroes and exploding tumours) - he replied that he didn't, he hated Scots. IIRC. And now they have another Scottish doctor - Robert Carlyle.
                  sigpic
                  Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                  Vince: “Yeah.”
                  Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Orson.

Scott.

Card.

'Nuff said.
                    I enjoyed Ender's Game, but it felt a bit.. well, like he said himself, he only wrote it as a set up for Speaker for the Dead. I liked the concept, but Card's writing doesn't seem as .. elegant? I think is the word I'm looking for as Clarke. Card can be quite deliberate, whereas Clarke is very subtle. I love the concepts in the Ender's Game books, I love the ideas he has, I just prefer Clarke's execution
                    Last edited by Solo; 03 January 2009, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                      I think it's pretty straightforward, really - if you don't bother to explore the characters and their relationships, then what the hell is the point of the story? Might as well be writing a tech manual.

I like my Asimov, sure, I liked the quote in 200 and the Foundation trilogy is a masterpiece, but my favourite sci-fi story is probably Arthur C. Clarke's The Songs of Distant Earth - which has very, very little actual sci-fi in it at all. And it's bloody heartbreaking. Which is why Clarke > pretty much everyone else in my personal preferences. Including Asimov.
                      I just (literally) dusted off the Foundation series yesterday while I was trying to shove more books into the "Fiction" section in the library. But my all-time favorite is Clarke, too. (Points to "location"). And my pen name on FF.net is podbaydoors. Although I know the book was written concurrently with the movie, it's still a great book.

My first love will always be the Andromeda Strain, though.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                        I just (literally) dusted off the Foundation series yesterday while I was trying to shove more books into the "Fiction" section in the library. But my all-time favorite is Clarke, too. (Points to "location"). And my pen name on FF.net is podbaydoors. Although I know the book was written concurrently with the movie, it's still a great book.

My first love will always be the Andromeda Strain, though.
                        LOL I don't really look at people's locations much so I hadn't spotted that I admit, as devastated as I was when he passed away last year, there's a part of me that's quite anticipating the potential contents of the "Clarkives". Not that I give a crap whether he was gay or not, I just wanna know what other wonderful ideas he'd got down on paper before he died. What am I missing out on?!

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                          I enjoyed Ender's Game, but it felt a bit.. well, like he said himself, he only wrote it as a set up for Speaker for the Dead. I preferred the concept, but Card's writing doesn't seem as .. elegant? I think is the word I'm looking for as Clarke. Card can be quite deliberate, whereas Clarke is very subtle. I love the concepts in the Ender's Game books, I love the ideas he has, I just prefer Clarke's execution
                          They both operate on your mind; Card with a mallet, Clarke with a scalpel?

At the end of the day, you need both concept and execution to pull it off (Asimov can be heavy handed with his metaphor - one story - which culminates in the dinosaurs having been killed by the little ones with guns - ends "Poor dumb dinosaurs! Poor dumb humanity, you mean!" Which, okay, yeah, Isaac, we geddit. Except, I love his writing style so much, I don't care.)

Pratchett! Again! With his wonderful parodies of reality. Now there's a master of fiction.
                          sigpic
                          Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                          Vince: “Yeah.”
                          Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

One very interesting post-apocalyptic novel I read recently was Cormac McCarthy's The Road. He's got an interesting writing style that kind of grows on you. Usually he writes western-type novels (No Country for Old Men) but I liked this one. It's not happy, though.

The imagery he uses is quite memorable.

Comment

Still prefer my Asimov short stories to pretty much anything, including Clarke (Clarke is good, though).

(I wasn't that impressed with Ender's Game *ducks* It's just... unrelentlessly grim.)

I think it's Scottish doc's cos its only Carson and Janet that have died - Carson was Scottish, through and through; Frasier is a Scottish-ish surname. It started when someone asked RCC at a con why he hated doctors so much (he wrote Heroes and exploding tumours) - he replied that he didn't, he hated Scots. IIRC. And now they have another Scottish doctor - Robert Carlyle.
                              Hey....I'm Scottish We're a lovely friendly bunch o folks
                              sigpic

Comment

They both operate on your mind; Card with a mallet, Clarke with a scalpel?

At the end of the day, you need both concept and execution to pull it off (Asimov can be heavy handed with his metaphor - one story - which culminates in the dinosaurs having been killed by the little ones with guns - ends "Poor dumb dinosaurs! Poor dumb humanity, you mean!" Which, okay, yeah, Isaac, we geddit. Except, I love his writing style so much, I don't care.)

Pratchett! Again! With his wonderful parodies of reality. Now there's a master of fiction.
                                Definitely, agree on both the Card/Clarke analogies, and the PRATCHETT! Now THERE is a master of subtlety, comedy, parody and humanity. Just genius. I cheered long and loud when his name showed up in the Honours List this year - shame he had to develop Alzheimers in order to be recognised, though

I've had a number of friends recommend McCarthy to me now, VSS - The Road is on my list. Unfortunately, my spare time for novels is a bit thin right now, but as soon as these papers are out of my way, I'll be able to indulge again
                                Last edited by Solo; 03 January 2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X