Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-daniel View Post

did you know daniel is being called something like "evolutionary yoyo" *giggles* i think that kinda fits
    Evolutionary yoyo! I like that. I am adopting it.

Originally posted by Stef View Post
    From my personal perspective...I vote N.O. for character death (of Daniel or Vala). I would honestly rather not see them at all than see one of them die a horrible death on-screen. I say this for a numbers of reasons:

1. I can live in my little world where they are still together off-screen. Nothing kills ship love like a concrete ending to the story. I would probably stop vidding and making art

2. If they're dead, there is no hope of a future return - which even if BW keeps Vala out of the next film I always hope for her return (and D/V's) in any future films made by other people like RCC.

3. I don't trust the writers to do it well. There are very few main character deaths that I think have been done really well. One of those was Fred on "Angel" because her death provided purpose for the story and new characters depths for Wes to play....if they killed off Vala or Daniel, I doubt they'd even address it again.

4. I don't think it's necessary. Sure, death is dramatic and everything but really...is that what we want for something we love? To see it die? I'm all for an imperfect alive ship than a beautifully dead one...and this is coming from someone who loves angst.

For me, the minute one or both of those characters dies is the minute the series dies.

-Stef
    Well said.

1. Isn't imagination fun? DV lives in infamy because we won't see them any otherway. Years after the shows and movies vids and fan fiction will still be here...keeping them new and in love. Yea for us.

2. I love SG-1, but you are right. Hope of future DV excites me. I am always looking for it. Without hope...I wouldn't be as excited about any further movies.

3. Completely on! (Fred's death was done so well and one of the few highlights for me in that last season)

4. We love the angst. Why? Before Unending and now well...ever because of the re-set...worried Daniel is where we really see his feelings for her. They are cute in those moments. A death scene would probably not live up to what we want it to be...or our luck...the one dies and the other is off somewhere unawares.

Besides...they are just so good together. Don't separate what works. And I would hate to think of them mourning the other or...worse...someday moving on.

Originally posted by Magnecite View Post
    I don't know if this constitutes a new discussion but are Daniel's deaths a bit old hat. The only novelty is who he comes back to ....... naked.

I could work that into a plot.

Mag, drooling.
    YES! Goodness yes. A death to me is supposed to be unexpected. Did anyone even flinch in Continuum? Not me. He dies and I simply know he'll be okay somehow. A death is also supposed to remind us they aren't always ok. That life threatening missions sometimes actually take a life. At this point they have done it to death...no pun intended. We know they could very well kill someone, but they will think up a way to fix it. So Daniel dying is now almost jokingly expected and meaningless.

Originally posted by SundaySusans
    HEHE Watching this now.

Many Deaths Of Daniel Jackson

Get out the hanky.
    I am catching up on last week's. I am behind and mom is making me watch Indiana Jones because 1: it is due back and 2: she is dying to discuss....sigh. So I am trying to watch DV and Harrison Ford at the same time.
    sigpic
    by: SerenaSerenity

Comment

Originally posted by sg-daniel View Post
      so girls, i'm gonna leave you now, getting tired here *yawn*
      good night everyone/enjoy the rest of your sunday

*waves* bye bye
      Night Maggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnecite View Post
        I think if Vala had been on the series early on, she would have bounced off Jack rather than Daniel. Daniel did those one off's where he saves people or creatures. I think Vala takes a rather long time to save, she sort of matures through their adventures.

Death is a footnote for scifi series. Drama and then blip you're gone and everyone concentrates on the new guy/gal. Look what happened to Weir.

Mag
        *sigh* I would have loved to have seen Vala bounce off of early!Jack (not so much toilet-joke!Jack).

You're totally right, which is why I don't want that for this ship. Usually it's just a one-episode stunt and then nothing. Weir had some small follow-through cause she was the second lead for three years and the door was supposed to be open for her comeback....but even then, she was forgotten for about 90% of the rest of the series.

Originally posted by tayradio View Post
        Yeah, I'm gonna put in my N.O. cents on the killing thing. I want a Happily Ever After for once.

I was a Silk Stalkings fan, for instance, and there were several lovely seasons of UST and tension, then the last season (for the original characters) they gave in and resolved the Unresolved.... and then they KILLED him. It was horrible. Just horrible. I don't want that for D/V. They've already been through enough loss and tragedy, they deserve a happy ending, IMO
        As do I. It seems like killing off the characters is the popular (and easy) route these days. Nobody has the guts to really give people happy endings. It's like they think it's a cop-out or something...a cop-out to actually reward their fans. Killing off your main characters and tragic/doomed romances aren't any more artistic/creative than having your ships finally get together. I wish some writers/producers would understand that.

Oh, and SS...Rob Estes character? I totally don't think I ever saw that!

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Oh, I'm completely with you on Fred's death being done well. I cried like crazy during that episode (I'm a Fred/Wes shipper), yet the minute I had seen all of the season, I had to watch A Hole in the World again right away, cause the episode was just so powerful. I even made two fanvids strongly focusing on that episode.

And I agree that they probably wouldn't have managed to do the same in Stargate. They did do well with Daniel's ascention, but it wasn't like he was actually dead... While in Angel, Fred was dead, it was even underlined that her sould had perished in the ressurecting fires of Illyria, so we knew there was no way she could be brought back (which devastated me).
          sigpic
          My Site || My Blog

Comment

Oh the Muppet song really made me laugh. I prefer that to real angst, although I'm sure I had a tear for Daniel's radiated ascension.

Mag

Comment

As do I. It seems like killing off the characters is the popular (and easy) route these days. Nobody has the guts to really give people happy endings. It's like they think it's a cop-out or something...a cop-out to actually reward their fans. Killing off your main characters and tragic/doomed romances aren't any more artistic/creative than having your ships finally get together. I wish some writers/producers would understand that.

Oh, and SS...Rob Estes character? I totally don't think I ever saw that!

-Stef
              Yep. The "Chris and Rita years" ended in pointless tragedy. I think she was preggo, too, if I'm recalling correctly. I see that they've put out the box sets in the last few years and I won't buy them. I'll wait until the Chris Potter years are released before I spend anything on them at all. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the late night reruns they used to show because for me they were pointless - to go through the characters' journeys all over again, know that in the end - BANG? Nope, not me. I'm not that big a glutton for punishment.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SundaySusans
                Ok, no more angst...... How about an upbeat video?

Contagious
                Oh, I like that one. Sort of jolly.

Mag

Comment

That's why I love the series finale of Charmed so much. Instead of punishing the fans like so many other shows, they decided to give the fans a real happy ending, really honor the fanbase and reward them for their support:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausDgnNQtIA

I really wish more show writers could show the same devotion to their fanbase. Make the journey worthwhile.
                  sigpic
                  My Site || My Blog

Comment

You know, you'd think a show that has the two actors from one of SF's greatest love-stories would learn something *cough* John/Aeryn got a happy ending and that show didn't lose any of its impact...if anything, it's created some of the most loyal and devoted fans from any fandom because of it. Hmm...makes you think...

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You know, you'd think a show that has the two actors from one of SF's greatest love-stories would learn something *cough* John/Aeryn got a happy ending and that show didn't lose any of its impact...if anything, it's created some of the most loyal and devoted fans from any fandom because of it. Hmm...makes you think...

-Stef
                      Which show is John/Aeryn from?
                      sigpic
                      My Site || My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by misskitten View Post
                        Which show is John/Aeryn from?
                        john/aeryn are from Farscape
                        thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

Originally posted by StargateHERO View Post
                          john/aeryn are from Farscape
                          Okay, not seen that one yet. But with my recent sci-fi kick I'll probably get to watching that eventually.
                          sigpic
                          My Site || My Blog

Comment

Sorry Susan, youtube isn't workin for me now. I should have never left for Harrison Ford. Sigh, no videos for me...I favorited all the links though.

-Stef
                            Yep, and we are still tapping our foot over the proposed movie Brian Henson is fighting for. I loved that we got the mini, but I still want more J/A.

BW won't really leave Vala out of the movie, will he? I know he doesn't like her, but she is a part of the team.
                            sigpic
                            by: SerenaSerenity

Comment

Originally posted by misskitten View Post
                              Okay, not seen that one yet. But with my recent sci-fi kick I'll probably get to watching that eventually.
                              Farscape is probably the most amazing show ever. I love it sooooo much. words just can't describe how awesome it is.
                              thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

Originally posted by kamiikiteiru View Post
                                BW won't really leave Vala out of the movie, will he? I know he doesn't like her, but she is a part of the team.
                                That is the question. I would *like* to believe the best...believe that he couldn't be so blind to her place within the franchise/series...but *shrugs* We'll see soon enough I would imagine.

Originally posted by StargateHERO View Post
                                Farscape is probably the most amazing show ever. I love it sooooo much. words just can't describe how awesome it is.
                                I know, right? I think "Farscape" is one of the few (if only) shows that actually gave us full-blown ship. Not the tap dance that most shows do...J/A had an actual romantic relationship and the writers paid it off in the end. That's why that show is and continues to be my all-time favorite series. Not just because of that, but is is one of the main reasons.

I love SG-1, so I'm crossing my fingers that BW and the rest of the writing staff doesn't kill it for me. I mean, gosh, what else would I obsess over?!

-Stef

Comment

Working...
                                X